Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General > Pokémon Polls
Reload this Page [PokéPOTW] #8: A Trio of Types

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite added type?
Dark 15 45.45%
Steel 10 30.30%
Fairy 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4th, 2014 (12:36 PM).
my past is not today.
CS

Nature: Timid
Another week, and another edition of the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Voting Polls is upon us! I shouldn't have to remind you, but I will anyway- remember that all PC and PVP rules must be followed while posting, especially:
Quote:
Expand on your answers! Don’t just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you’re just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
This week, our poll question was submitted by Charlie Brown (the user, not the block head). For the suggestion, he'll be receiving a special emblem. If you'd like to get one of your own, feel free to leave future POTW suggestions with your post, or in a VM to myself. As for this week's question, we've had 3 brand-new types added to Pokémon since the original 15, so we ask you:

What is your favorite added type: Dark, Steel or Fairy?

Sure, the first 2 have been around for quite a while now, but they weren't always. Now, let's get to voting!

Pokémon Poll of the Week #7: Which Q is your A?

Moderator of Pokémon General
(computer is borked. will be back to normal activity soon~)
Old April 4th, 2014 (12:46 PM).
Tomato Soup
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I quite like Fairy. Perhaps because it's newer than the others, but I like the assortment of Pokemon that came with it, and the changes to existing Pokemon. Play Rough is also a pretty awesome move.
Old April 4th, 2014 (03:28 PM).
& having to receive it
Battle Server
CS

I think I like steel better, since that's what many of my favorite Pokémon are categorized as. Few would include Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Steelix, Metagross, and Aggron. Steel might not have an immunity, but that's no biggie; aside from ghost, flying, and normal, not many types have them, either. Second favorite would probably have to be fairy. :]
Old April 4th, 2014 (03:43 PM).
loving heart "double spark"
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
Dark. Hydreigon's my favourite, and is also one of my favourite Pokemon in general. I like the moves of the dark type, from Night Slash, to Dark Pulse (I swear that move contains ghostly wails). I also like Pokemon like Honchkrow, Weavile and Bisharp, and I'm quite a dark hearted person myself :p
vm | pm
family
fc
credit
Old April 4th, 2014 (04:26 PM).
The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!

Nature: Hardy
Dark type~ The Pokemon here are cool, tbh, and it's kind of a neglected type. :3 Only type in the games that still doesn't have a gym!!!
Old April 4th, 2014 (08:34 PM).
with a temperature of 103
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I voted Fairy, mainly because I love the majority of Pokemon designs there but in reality, all three have their fair share of cool Pokemon that otherwise wouldn't have existed had the types themselves not.
Old April 4th, 2014 (08:58 PM).
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I always liked the Steel type, because it was introduced as a defensive type and it seemed to have a lot of potential. However, Steel-type moves were extremely scarce at that time, and not always available/useful. After they introduced Iron Head and Flash Cannon in Gen IV, it became much more viable and could be used as a STAB measure. This has also increased its value with the introduction of Fairy type, with the loss of resistance against Dark and Ghost be considered a minor drawback.

Steel type, considering its relativity in the Pokémon world could be considered to be the least 'natural' of types as steel is gotten by making an alloy with the main component as iron. I believe the type could have worked out better being named the 'Metal' type, as metals are found within natural ores. However, its acceptance grew alongside the Dark type as the generations flew past, so I don't think a change would be required now.
Old April 4th, 2014 (11:58 PM).
Nintendo is for awesome people

My favourite "added" type is the Dark type, because they had a badly needed advantage over the Psychic type. There are also plenty of great Dark-type Pokemon like Tyranitar, Houndoom, Greninja, Weavile, and Drapion, and some great moves like Bite, Crunch, Pursuit, Knock Off, and Dark Pulse.

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old April 5th, 2014 (12:10 AM).

Steel type for me. Some of my favourite Pokemon are Steel types - Scizor and Ferrothorn. They do have a 4x weakness to Fire, but I got around that by using Drizzle.

Quote originally posted by Peitharchia:
Steel might not have an immunity,...
It does - Steel type Pokemon are immune to Poison type moves.
Old April 5th, 2014 (08:05 PM).
Mr. Premier Ball

Nature: Naughty
I voted Dark because I loved the idea when it was first released. I like a lot of the Pokémon and it has some really great moves. Fun gameplay with Knock Off or Thief. Foul Play keeps things interesting and is great for beating boosters or great for Defensive Pokémon to use.

The only downside I see to it, it hurts Psychic badly. Psychic as a Type has never recovered from this. Psychic was so great in Gen 1 but hasn't been great since. Yes there are good Psychic Pokémon but they are good DESPITE being Psychic.
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
Old April 6th, 2014 (12:03 AM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
As much as I want to say Fairy just because its type colour is pink, I think Dark was the one I found the coolest when it was added. I think it has more interesting Pokémon. (I say this, but I have favourite Pokémon in both Steel and Fairy types but not very many at all in the Dark type. Oh well!)

I guess way back when, I thought that Dark introduced a lot of interesting new Pokémon instead of retconning old Pokémon types or adding new evolutions of old Pokémon with altered types. With Fairy type... I dunno. I don't mind it at all but it felt really overpowered in XY. Unbalanced, even, but maybe I was just lucky with it or something. I have no problem with the fact that it exists and I like it, but it didn't feel like as natural an addition to me. Maybe I'm just too old and set in my ways.
Old April 6th, 2014 (01:35 AM).
Do it now - crack the bone till it falls!

Nature: Adamant
The Steel-type, as it's the best of all three types (in fact, it's probably the best type competitively) due to its huge number of resistances, immunity to Toxic and Toxic Spikes.

The Dark-type is the second best because a lot of unique moves such as Payback, Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Pursuit, known for their utility, are part Dark.

The Fairy-type is easily the worst. Despite its immunity to Dragon, a lot of Dragon-type Pokemon can get past Fairy-types with moves like Iron Tail, Poison Jab or Flash Cannon, or hit them very hard with a neutral move (Fusion Bolt, Earthquake or Fire Blast). I find its resistance to Fighting more useful because a lot of Fighting-types which can be disposed of by Azumarill or Togekiss were present in OU in Gen 5.

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | lol ubers spam (Peaked #13)
Old April 6th, 2014 (08:36 AM).
Kanto's Castaway

Nature: Careful
not much of a debate for me, steel type wins with flying colors.

I have always been fond of steel types, there limited weaknesses and over powered defence makes them very useful competitively. Not much more to say

I will complete the National dex!
669/719
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old April 6th, 2014 (08:45 AM).
i'm nice

Steel has been my second favorite type for a while now so it wins hands down. Most of their designs are perfect imo and I really love having a bulky defense on my team. Also I love the immunity to poison because that's a pain in the ass to deal with. There's also the benefit of not getting hit by Sandstorm which I enjoy, but I could live without it. A lot of my top favorite Pokemon are part steel types like Mawile, Steelix, Forretress, etc.
Old April 7th, 2014 (12:51 AM).
WUB WUB
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Hands down, dark is my favorite "new" type.
Dark Pokemon usually look pretty menacing and i love most of the designs, and i think it was a very needed type to nerf psychic

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old April 7th, 2014 (05:06 AM).
★heroes
CS

Nature: Naive
Hm. I think I'll have to say Dark. Even though Steel made a good difference from Rock type pokémon, and Fairy brought about something we didn't know we had wanted for a long time, Dark just had more interesting pokémon added imo. The concept of the type Dark and its moves are difficult to understand at times, since it's borderline fighting and borderline ghost sort of. Shady and punchy/crunchy. But mostly it's "evil". Which is pretty cool that they thought of implementing. Evil and darkness isn't perhaps the first thing you think of choosing as the elemental power for your team of champions :3

paired to seeker
RPCPG

Old April 7th, 2014 (05:24 AM).
Float away...to a world of joy...

Nature: Calm
Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons, (you can't say Ice-type did the job, most if not all dragons learn fire type moves), and on top of that they are totally adorable! Look at Dedenne and Azurill. Their appearence change from Gardevoir to Granbull to Xerneas, the possibilities are endless.
Have i mentioned they are totally cute?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 7th, 2014 (05:49 AM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Hm, there's something about the Dark and Steel types that deter me from liking them \: There are some Dark type Pokemon that I would not mind using, but amongst the 3, I think I'd prefer Fairy over the other 2. Probably mainly because majority of the time I decide whether I like the Pokemon or not is based on their physical appearance/design, so I find the designs of those with a Fairy type to be visually appealing, especially Xerneas.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old April 7th, 2014 (07:51 AM).
fire power!

Nature: Bold
Out of these three, I'd have to say Dark. Umbreon used to be my go to eeveelution until Glaceon came around. I still rely on Weavile and Honchkrow on my more competitive team set ups. Their designs are excellent, and they're very good pokemon to raise. Dark was a good decision placement in the games because it introduced us to many great Pokémon

family | looking for a pair | theme credits
Old April 8th, 2014 (11:01 AM).
I r8 8/8 no h8 m8.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Between the three new types, the Dark type would have to be my favorite of the three. It introduced some really neat Pokémon both design-wise and usability-wise (Houndoom, Umbreon, Absol, Hydreigon, Scrafty, etc). Not to mention how enigmatic their personalities are (if that's even the right word i'm looking for).

Second would have to be the Fairy-type, since that buffed up some older Pokémon to make them cooler. The new Fairy-types introduced are alright, and had some neat moves like Moonblast and Play Rough to go with them.
Old April 8th, 2014 (11:53 AM).
Do it now - crack the bone till it falls!

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Blastin'Tyruntz:
Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons, (you can't say Ice-type did the job, most if not all dragons learn fire type moves), and on top of that they are totally adorable! Look at Dedenne and Azurill. Their appearence change from Gardevoir to Granbull to Xerneas, the possibilities are endless.
Have i mentioned they are totally cute?
"Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons,"
First of all, by definition, a counter must be able to both switch into the Pokémon it's supposed to counter, with little to no risk to itself, and also pose an immediate threat to said Pokémon. While Fairy-type Pokemon take no damage from those powerful dragon-type moves, most dragons are capable of 2HKOing them with moves such as Earthquake while surviving a Fairy-type move unless coming from Azumarill or maybe Mega Gardevoir. Therefore, Fairy-types cannot really counter Dragon-types. That isn't even factoring moves such as Iron Tail, Poison Jab or Flash Cannon, which most dragons have access to.

Here are some calcs to prove it:

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 207-244 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Gardevoir can't switch in, has to revenge kill. Gardevoir is not a counter to Salamence.)

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Azumarill can only counter Mence if there is no SR. Azumarill is a shaky counter to Salamence.)

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 455-538 (121.6 - 143.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Salamence Dragon Dances as Togekiss switches in, bye bye unless Stone Edge misses. Togekiss is not a counter to Salamence.)

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 270-318 (97.1 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Gardevoir is usually flat out OHKOed and outsped)

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 458-541 (113.3 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Azumarill can't even dream of taking a Fusion Bolt)

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 201-237 (55.8 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Even physically defensive Florges dies to Fusion Bolt. Florges is not a counter to Kyurem-B)

Furthermore, Steel-types were already good answers to dragons, and tbh they are still bigger counters than Fairy-types could ever hope to be, because they actually have a strong physical defense, which is much more important because most dragons rely on moves such as Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Claw or Fire Punch.

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | lol ubers spam (Peaked #13)
Old April 9th, 2014 (06:14 AM).
誰か

Nature: Hasty
Steel for me. Most of the Pokemon I like are in the steel type, and I also like how it works in battle. Heck, there's even lots of Pokemon in this type matching my two statements! Skarmory, Aggron and Metagross make good examples. I've also been a big fan of some of them from the start: Jirachi and Dialga.
Old April 13th, 2014 (08:31 PM).
my past is not today.
CS

Nature: Timid
Gave this one a few extra days, but with that said, this POTW the week is now over (you can still continue to vote and reply even if the thread is unstickied, though!).

I've always found myself drawn to Steel types, with both my favorite Gym Leader using them (Jasmine) and at least 3 of my favorite Pokemon (Aggron, Empoleon, Lucario) being part-Steel. I guess the high number of resistances and immunities has lead me to using them so often, but they always seem to be effective when I do!

I've got to do some rummaging around for the next POTW question, but when I find it, you'll be sure to see a new thread up and ready to go!
Pokémon Poll of the Week #7: Which Q is your A?

Moderator of Pokémon General
(computer is borked. will be back to normal activity soon~)
Old April 15th, 2014 (06:00 PM).
can I have a Pokepuff?
Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Out of the 3 I prefer the Dark Types... it has more Pokemon I like and have used before, I have good knowledge on how to use Dark Types.

Steel is a type I never did like much, and fairies are still a bit too new for me. I may end up liking it but I have to give it a chance.

Also Steel and Fairy don't have enough Pokemon that I like so I tend not too use them much.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links