Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page DCC ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old May 5th, 2014 (12:47 AM).
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote originally posted by destinedjagold:
Mapping is the only thing that slows my progress down. It's utterly boring and consumes so much time. Ugh... >.>
It also drains my motivation to hack...

I seriously prefer scripting, where I will be creating the events/scenes in my head to the game. :3
Pretty much the same as me, scripting is the best part in hacking imo.
Old May 5th, 2014 (01:24 AM).

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
Speaking of which, how many of you have played Vega or its sequels? They're really great in emulating the Gen 3 feel while still being new (well, as new as a ROM hack of Pokemon gets) games.
I played Vega. The wild pokemon battle music was awesome, even the haunted mansion. I usually don't like Fakemons, but the Fakemons were too good that I was planning to create a team solely of fakemons in that hack. I could not understand Japanese but still managed to play till the third gym and because of not knowing Japanese I couldn't progress further and decide to quit it. Hopefully, a english translation comes someday.
Old May 5th, 2014 (06:55 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Shadowraze:
Pretty much the same as me, scripting is the best part in hacking imo.
I love scripting, especially seeing the end results. But nothing beats mapping for me!
Old May 5th, 2014 (07:03 AM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Mapping and putting tilesets together have always been my favourite aspects of hacking. There has always been something special to me about about not only creating the look of a world, but designing it as well. Walking through a newly created map for the first time is always a great feeling.

Quote originally posted by Magic:
Granted, I've done neither in a while I was always the opposite way round :< I used to find scripting (or more, bug-testing the scripts) the most tedious part - the amount of times I also ended up corrupting/breaking something from scripting going crazy was annoying too.

Tiling/mapping is more about making a pretty picture and ahhh ^__^ happyhappy.
Quote originally posted by Shinx:
I love scripting, especially seeing the end results. But nothing beats mapping for me!
The three of us are now blood brothers.
Old May 5th, 2014 (07:14 AM).
(>^.(>0.0)>
Crystal Tier

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Alice
Just realized this thread existed. lol

Mapping was my first endeavor into hacking, and I've more or less got it down to a science. I follow an exact formula every time. Still, it's really fun to see each map finished... but it's only once the scripting is also done that it really comes to life. I'm struggling to hold myself back from mapping more of my game before the scripting catches up. lol
Old May 5th, 2014 (08:25 AM).
Understand Understand

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
Mapping and putting tilesets together have always been my favourite aspects of hacking. There has always been something special to me about about not only creating the look of a world, but designing it as well. Walking through a newly created map for the first time is always a great feeling.
So. Much. Yes.
I suppose seeing a script working like you imagined it to be is great too, but I'm not a scripting guy at all so I can't really talk about it much. But that feeling of testing a new map, indeed c:
Old May 5th, 2014 (01:28 PM).
(>^.(>0.0)>
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
haha that's good

Anyway, what do you guys think about the dichotomy of "natural" mapping and Game Freak-styled (i mean good lmoa) mapping? In my opinion "natural" maps are just trying to be artistic without considering the principles of level design or navigation, and often results in a mess of trees and bushes and no clear sense of direction.
Personally, I think it's entirely possible to have both natural mapping, and great playability. Yeah, a lot of "natural" maps look like someone just sneezed trees and grass all over the screen, but not all. If you haven't seen any of my recent maps, I think they're a pretty good example.
Old May 5th, 2014 (01:45 PM).
& having to receive it

Quote originally posted by Phazon Elemental:
Mapping seems like it'd take a long time and I'm not really looking forward to that part. At least I already have a few ideas in my head.

Maybe I should dump some of this stuff to document form and drop it here.
Mapping isn't that difficult for me, thankfully. It does take a while to decide where to begin, but once that's settled, everything else comes naturally. :]
Old May 5th, 2014 (06:15 PM).
Love and Peace

I don't have the greatest of creativity so I struggle with mapping sometimes. xD
Old May 6th, 2014 (12:12 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Isn't it good that hacking community is divided into mappers and scripters?
If one side prevailed no one would be able make a hack.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 6th, 2014 (06:23 AM).
Author Of Tales

Nature: Brave
I don't have the greatest of creativity so I struggle with mapping sometimes. xD
Same. I have a bad habit of scripting ahead of my maps and thinking "Oh I'll just map the area later" and then when it comes to wanting to insert the scripts to test them I sometimes rush the map-making to accommodate. Definitely not the best way to do things as 80% of the time the maps come out looking a bit bland. I also struggle with the balance of 'natural' mapping and making it easy to navigate at the same time!
Old May 6th, 2014 (10:21 AM).
ARCHER
ModeratorCS

That's true, Satoshi!

I've been thinking about getting back into hacking lately. With this big boon in activity, and the beginner's forum resurfacing, it kind of makes me want to get back into it.

I don't think mapping would be a problem, but anything that involved key knowledge or specifics would take a while to trigger simple scripting would probably be fine though.

The thing is, every time I come back I seem to be more ambitious - and when your skill level doesn't reflect what you're aiming for it can get a bit annoying and frustrating .

Give it a few weeks and I might bite the bullet though :< is anyone else currently -off- hacking?
Old May 6th, 2014 (12:05 PM).
Let the Good Times roll!

Nature: Relaxed
Give it a few weeks and I might bite the bullet though :< is anyone else currently -off- hacking?
I am...sorta. I came back because I had an idea for a hack and I wanted it to be great, so I thought that by examining other hacks and, at the same time, helping others in areas where they might need work (usually in the form of opinions, I'm not completely sure my hacking skills now are what they used to be, given that it's been years since I've hacked seriously). Plus, with all of the resources, new tutorials, and the like that are available, it's easier to get into hacking than ever.

Actually, on that point...I do want to talk about something that kept me from coming back for a long time. Even before I had this hack idea, I would glance at the hacks forum every now and again, and I would feel a little sad. Sad because I'd always hoped that there would be more non-GF styled hacks, but even today I see things like "You are a X, a kid living in Y town. You aspire to collect the badges of the Z region, while combating the evil W team." With variations here or there. And this isn't a bad thing in itself, I've seen some rather impressive hacks come out of this.

Though it still makes me feel as if there is so much untapped potential that can and should come out of Pokemon rom hacking. I've watched as the capabilities of hacking have evolved and, similarly, how the hacks have. Yet, the more time that passes, the more I wonder "Why aren't there more non-Pokemon hacks" or "Why aren't there more gym-less or team-less hacks out there?" I can completely understand an up and comer thinking learning that they can make their own game and then immediately jumping for the GF formula, but I find it staggering how few hacks actually try to be either of those (and, that I know of, no complete ones exist).

Though, for me, it would be ideal that less Pokemon-based Pokemon hacks would be created thanks to the games' malleable nature (in terms of hacking), I would even like to see more gym-less or team-less hacks in the case of those that are about Pokemon, for the sole reason that I think it bottlenecks creativity when people limit themselves to those two ideas. Not to say you couldn't have a non-linear adventure type hack with gyms, indeed you could, but having them as mandatory points to advance would make that difficult. In fact, many times I read through stories and wonder why there are teams or gyms at all, and why the hack didn't just opt for more free-form antagonists or some other form of boss battles, ones that, in the grand scheme, didn't seem like mandatory side attractions to the story.

One hack that I think takes this idea and does wonderful things with it is Pokemon Ruby Destiny - Rescue Rangers. Though I didn't notice when I was younger, that was quite the unique hack. Not only did it boast a party system for most of its playthrough (which is something that pretty much unique to it, I don't think you can find it in other hacks), but it also managed to have quests and a lot of side features without being completely nonlinear (and, at the same time, not being too linear and opening up as the player progressed).

It's that sort of non-standard concept that I would like to see more of. Whether that will actually happen or not...I'm not sure. After all, I see a lot of Rom Hacking forum dwellers saying things like "Once I get done with X hack, I'll play this,"...and I see it a lot. Heck, I look at the counter for how many people are viewing the forum sometimes and just awe in wonder. As a result, it would seem that I'm an incredibly small minority in this, so I guess all I can say is that this is my 2 cents on...the state of Pokemon hacks. I might be asking for too much, or maybe even expecting too much, but I'll at least remain hopeful.
Old May 6th, 2014 (09:12 PM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
My finals are almost over and as such I really want to program some rom hacking tools, and "reasonable" suggestions? (If a tutorial is already out- double props since all I would need to do is implementation)
Old May 6th, 2014 (11:55 PM).
luck and pluck

Unfortunately, I think most of my ideas are at least slightly untenable.
Old May 7th, 2014 (12:22 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

That's true, Satoshi!
And people like your post more...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 7th, 2014 (02:30 AM).
Love and Peace

That's true, Satoshi!

I've been thinking about getting back into hacking lately. With this big boon in activity, and the beginner's forum resurfacing, it kind of makes me want to get back into it.

I don't think mapping would be a problem, but anything that involved key knowledge or specifics would take a while to trigger simple scripting would probably be fine though.

The thing is, every time I come back I seem to be more ambitious - and when your skill level doesn't reflect what you're aiming for it can get a bit annoying and frustrating .

I am as well lel.

Also thinking about going back I got my Rom Base back and redownloaded some of the tools but I still haven't got around it :p fek mapping
Old May 7th, 2014 (09:59 AM).
Life returns. Life prevails.

Nature: Naughty
I am as well lel.

Also thinking about going back I got my Rom Base back and redownloaded some of the tools but I still haven't got around it :p fek mapping
I started hacking again after 4 years - I forgot how much work I had to do, lol. Thankfully, it was "still in my blood" and I re-learned as much as I could remember.

Also, what are your guys' opinions on the pokemon center and mart to be merged together ? Because I'm currently hacking and merging these two, thus getting a free tileset to use it as I please. So, I kinda see it a technical advantage with the cost of a visual piece in a city.
Old May 7th, 2014 (10:17 AM).
(>^.(>0.0)>
Crystal Tier

I actually kinda hate that. The more buildings the better... taking away one of the staple buildings that's in every town only makes them seem smaller and more boring. =/
Old May 7th, 2014 (10:43 AM).
Let the Good Times roll!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by QuilavaKing:
I actually kinda hate that. The more buildings the better... taking away one of the staple buildings that's in every town only makes them seem smaller and more boring. =/
But it does make them more convenient, and what's a town without a convenient store /pun.

But really, there's always something that can make up for that space. Really, I think that whether a mart exists in a town should vary, for the sake of variety. Smaller, more quaint towns should have them whereas larger towns should have them included in centers.
Old May 7th, 2014 (10:49 AM).
ARCHER
ModeratorCS

I don't mind the merging of the two building too much, to be honest, as long as the town has the charm to pull it off it's all good!

I caved and started a hack someone check my brain
Old May 7th, 2014 (01:42 PM).
Time for real life...

I don't really like how the some Pokemon Centers and Marts are merged into one. As QuilavaKing mentioned earlier, it makes most towns seem a bit small or less exciting. Although, this sometimes isn't the case, as long as there are plenty of other important events in the town.

Btw, hello new discussion thread~ <3
Old May 7th, 2014 (02:18 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

I hate that so much. Means you also have to come up with another building in the town/city to replace the Poké Mart.
Old May 7th, 2014 (02:34 PM).
Why do I beat the living hell out of myself?
Platinum Tier

I prefer to keep them separate as in a lot of my hacks "legit" merchandise is sold through the marts and other vendors (junk merchants, berry ladies, etc) are in the Pokémon Centers and sell at a discount. It creates a nice balance, too; not to mention I sometimes put a TV in the PokéCenter and have people gather 'round it. :3
Old May 7th, 2014 (03:04 PM).
chase is my favourite
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Serious
I'm okay with both options. I'm currently using the default Fire Red separate center and mart, I think they look fine and add more variety to the maps. I feel the Pokémon Center tile wouldn't fit to be a merged center/mart. However, if I had a decent big center tile I might consider merging them both into one.

I really liked how Naranja used one of Kyledove's Pokémon Center tiles and instead of a mart used an outdoor market stall.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)