Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Old March 28th, 2005 (10:29 PM).
Aiya Quackform
Her High Quackiness

I've seen in several fan fics moves invented by the author, and not seen in the anime or games. Sometimes they're accepted as wonderfully creative, and other times bogus. What is your opinion of original moves? Are there conditions?

In a couple fics I've seen original moves that are used by trainers in casual battles, but are banned from official battles such as Gym and League battles. What do you think of this?

My personal opinion is that original moves can be good, depending on the way they're presented. If just one trainer has new moves and/or all these moves are invincible, they're not good. If they're balanced and follow basic game logic (meaning an attack can be based only on one type or some other canon), and they're balanced in power proportionate to the skill of trainer & Pokemon, they can work.

Old March 29th, 2005 (10:44 AM).
SBaby
Pokemon Dungeon Master

Since they don't really explain which moves are allowed in official battles, there isn't really much to go on as to whether or not a specific move can be used.

As for original moves, I think they're a good idea, as they keep the FanFic from being too redindant with the same attacks and battle styles over and over again. Now I'm not saying that using the pre-set abilities of the Pokemon is bad, just that it is often difficult to come up with creative ways to fight only using those.

Now of course, you should use original moves sparingly. And each one should be explained in full detail, so the reader knows exactly what is going on with the move.

For instance, one of mine is Cosmo-Shift, which turns the characters and Pokemon etherial and temporarily allows them to go through objects. In a sense, they are temporarily invincible, but the opposite is also true. They can't attack anything in this state.

This is just an example, of course. There are many more that can be invented. Just use your imagination and remember, detail.

Also remember that it is YOUR story anyway. If you want an original move in it, it's your decision, regardless of what others think. I personally like the idea, but that's just an opinion.

- Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

- Willie 'Jack' Degel
Old March 31st, 2005 (05:31 AM).
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

Nature: Bold
I don't have a problem with original moves as long as they're properly used and explained, and don't go over the top in terms of power etc. XD

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."
Albert Einstein

"What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics."
Benjamin Franklin

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty – a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Bertrand Russell

avatar and signature by FoxHound

ANNOY ME AT YOUR PERIL. I am becoming increasingly tired of the unmanly elitism and closed-mindedness of certain members who shall remain unnamed.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links