Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2005 (04:05 PM).
DragonTrainer
Shiver me timbers!

Words like u and things like that, express it here!

Honestly, I think it makes the person look foolish >>
Old April 13th, 2005 (05:53 PM).
Lust
Ubersexual

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lust
I don't really mind it as long as it's only a couple of words but when it's more than that then it's really annoying.

l|Twins with Kyosuke|l
l|Banner and avatar by Kahoshi|l
Old April 13th, 2005 (05:55 PM).
Alex_

I don't like it :\ If people are too lazy to spell the actual word then thats sad x.x But yeah its annoying :p
Old April 13th, 2005 (06:02 PM).
Kyogre-chan
Booted out - don't be like me!

omg typin lik dis iz awsome cuz im pwn you all da kewl kids typ lyk dis coz itz cool lolz!!!!!11oneoneone

…In other words, it thoroughly annoys me. >>;
Old April 13th, 2005 (06:05 PM).
Miyu-chan
.::f l o w e r g i r l::.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Miyu-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Miyu-chan
It's kinda annoying. <<; I try to type as throughly as possible, and my eyes hurt reading that. o.x;

*post dedicated to Eli*

l Paired -MegaDitto l Evil sidekick - Ninja Retsu l Evil Twin -Hiyori-chan l

Old April 13th, 2005 (06:06 PM).
Snivi
..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snivi
I will say it does tend to get on my nerves.

Grass safari with Sawsbuck, Sunkern and Gogoat
Old April 13th, 2005 (06:08 PM).
*~Ashley~*
♥ Matt

Nature: Quiet
I greatly dislike it. x_x I try to use the best grammar I can. So when ppl tlk liek dis all da time, it just... makes me cringe >< And it makes it so much harder to read... it sometimes even hurts my eyes...
Old April 13th, 2005 (06:56 PM).
Sylphiel
beyond the twilight

Nature: Quirky
About the only thing I accept when it comes to chatspeak of any kind are some acronyms, especially the more common ones (like "lol"), since I tend to use those myself...

But anything other than that, anything like misspelled or shortened words or weird/long acronyms...no way. It hurts my brain, and also makes me wish the person who uses such stuff would go through a nice, strict grammar class.

Are you for real now, or just a dweller in my dream?

» Paired with Ausaudriel, yo.
» sketch.threaddAtumblr

» #thepokecommunity - come join us and chat! or don't idc but it might be kind of cool you never know
Old April 13th, 2005 (07:11 PM).
Timbjerr
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
i onlee typ liek dis wehn im sarcastically portraying n00bish behavior. XD I've actually found myself saying "lol" "OMG" "WTF" "XD" "PWND" and the like IRL, but I've never confused it with real English...I actually have some friends that used chatspeak in a major essay unwittingly. XD
Old April 13th, 2005 (10:47 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
All my RL friends use it on MSN, and it annoys me so much! But I'm not going to wipe it all out or anything... if they want to type like that, then I can't stop them or anything... unfortunately XD
Old April 14th, 2005 (10:40 AM).
Allstories
Elite Four

Nature: Sassy
I hate it with a vengeance, but I'll still use it when I'm being ironic. OMGLOLZ.
Old April 14th, 2005 (11:30 AM).
Nine
Kirby + Pineapples = Love

I'll say lol, wtf, etc, but words like "u", "r", etc, piss me off, really, how hard is it to type two extra letters?

now it's time to wrap our
fears in the night
and on the first day
i'll dress this city in flames
after all the things you say
you hate me for being this way
Old April 14th, 2005 (02:13 PM).
Hantsuki
a little wolf inside a girl

Nature: Rash
I hate it greatly,I try to use the best grammar possible and if you do,it does help you spell better for school as well the people who type those chat words..well,they are really lazy and they probably have bad spelling anyways >>

If the world we dreamed of exists anywhere,
let's go look for it, beyond the wind.
Icons made by kotae
MAL
Old April 14th, 2005 (02:40 PM).
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
it's okay if used in little bits. Sometimes people feel lazy, and they just want to make things easier for them. if used in a little bit, it's okay with me. After a few, however, I don't like it as much. it just makes it hard to read. :/
And if I understand it. If I don't get it, I tend not to like it. xD
Old April 14th, 2005 (10:24 PM).
Kylie-chan
the fae sorceress
Community Supporter Tier 5

I dislike it, but I respect that other people don't type as fast as me, or spend as much time as me on the net, so shorten that.
However, when people use it as a trend, I really hate it. It's not laziness, a disability, bad spelling and punctuation, etc. It's a stupid way to try and look cool and like a net junkie when all it does is make you look illiterate. @_@
Something my younger cousin said to me two days ago:
"Hey, have you got MSN Messenger?"
Bro: "Yeah, on both comps."
"Got an addy?"
Me: "No." [I lied. =x No one offline knows I have MSN, etc.]
So we got into a discussion 'bout the interactive communication side of the Internet.
Cousin: "Well you just HAVE to type in chatspeak to look cool."

That really ticked me off, but I was polite about it. x.x I just nodded and said people I'd seen post on forums mostly spoke in proper English. x_x

But chatspeak is annoying, and it's not so easy to decipher some of it. >< It also looks... stupid! X3

I take pleasure in reading and typing in proper English. [Well, my English isn't proper 'cause I leave out punctuation and put in too many smilies on purpose, but I can actually speak proper English and I'm actually quite good at it. @_@ Excuse the puffery. XP] It looks so beautiful, like an art form, to see words flowing out neatly, legibly, onto the screen...
*goes into a crazy rant*

あの交差点で皆がもしスキップをして もしあの町の真中でてを繋いで空を見上げたら
Old April 15th, 2005 (12:19 AM).
Peekimon
Me = cat-aholic, Meowr

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Peekimon Send a message via Yahoo to Peekimon
Chat Speak? Do you mean, wats ur name? OR something like that?
I dislike typing in that way too much. It's a bit irritating...
Although, I use: "btw", and "lol" a lot. I'l TRY restricting it to that. Unless, I'm too lazy too type. (Which happens "rarely"...)
Old April 15th, 2005 (06:14 AM).
Crystal Clair
Shinji lover

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crystal Clair
I'm totally in love with chatspeak. I love using it even though it makes me look like a n00b. It describes my excitement and it does get boring spelling words the same all the time. I get sick of proper English. I even speak like how I talk on the internet. For example, I'll tell my friend that Clair roxors me soxors. But people are used to it.
I think chatspeak can get annoying if it turns into 1337 talk. I have to translate it and all this other crap I dont have time to do.
Old April 15th, 2005 (12:10 PM).
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. It makes someone look lazy and illiterate. Sadly, though, a lot of my friends and family (more like one cousin, actually) sometimes get on my case about using proper grammar all the time. o_O; They think it takes too long, but really, it's easier once you get the hang of it. For me, it takes too long to try typing in internet slang/chatspeak/whatever you want to call it. It takes too long for my mind to think of the best way to condense something.

I do, however, use some acronyms like "lol," "wtf," etc. I don't use those because I'm too lazy to type out the full expression, but I think of them more as a word all their own. For example, with "rofl," I'd never actually type "rolling on floor laughing" or anything like that. It's like a word that means "that's funny" to me. o_O; Same with lol, wtf, omg, etc. I don't really mean exactly what the acronym says, but just the sort of thing it implies. (Like "omg!" sounds a bit spazzy, random, or excited, so I use it in those situations. :O)

liek w00t im kool cuz i talk lyk dis all da time haha loooool *gags*
Old April 15th, 2005 (12:41 PM).
Pincushion
Pokémon Master

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Pincushion
It annoys me abit, but I can hack some sutff like 'kwl' and 'u', but when your talking like, 'Omg lk @ ur her' it doesn't make sence, but
im cool with it, I've never used it much though.
I do not have enough time for PC anymore, it is a sorry affair but I haven't been active in a long time. I do not have many friends still here at PC but if you are one that is still please feel free to contact me via msn.
Old April 15th, 2005 (01:21 PM).
Lucid-Acid
//-

Nature: Impish
it seems to make people look less intellegent then they already are, n00bs use it, and it should be banned, I find it almost as annoying as leet. ><
Old April 15th, 2005 (04:38 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

I don't like it at all. It's awful and I hate it. It doesn't make the user look intelligent at all. I prefer proper grammar and spelling of course. However, I do use a few abbreviations. But nothing major. Usually just to demote any seriousness that might be unintentionally conveyed through the message (I use "Lol" to do that a lot). I use some smilies too, but I don't count those as chat lingo. I use OMG! occasionally. It's usually when a new Zelda trailer has come out and I'm spazzy and running throughout the house.

Grade 8, when I first got my computer all my "friends" would complain that I was typing the way I was. They would try to convince me that it was wrong and it was somehow a very serious offence in their eyes.

Proper grammar and spelling (or attempting to do so anyway) conquers all. Abbreviations to demote seriousness or attempt at portraying an emotion, as do smilies when I use them.
Old April 15th, 2005 (05:45 PM).
Draik
Hi.

Send a message via AIM to Draik Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Draik
Quote originally posted by Lightning:
I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. It makes someone look lazy and illiterate. Sadly, though, a lot of my friends and family (more like one cousin, actually) sometimes get on my case about using proper grammar all the time. ; They think it takes too long, but really, it's easier once you get the hang of it. For me, it takes too long to try typing in internet slang/chatspeak/whatever you want to call it. It takes too long for my mind to think of the best way to condense something.

I do, however, use some acronyms like "lol," "wtf," etc. I don't use those because I'm too lazy to type out the full expression, but I think of them more as a word all their own. For example, with "rofl," I'd never actually type "rolling on floor laughing" or anything like that. It's like a word that means "that's funny" to me. ; Same with lol, wtf, omg, etc. I don't really mean exactly what the acronym says, but just the sort of thing it implies. (Like "omg!" sounds a bit spazzy, random, or excited, so I use it in those situations. :O)

liek w00t im kool cuz i talk lyk dis all da time haha loooool *gags*
Read the quote.
I loath it.
People are like:
Quote:
r u redy 4 skool,
lol, u r a funny person XD
i am da koolist person.
So annoying!
Old April 15th, 2005 (05:54 PM).
Kacie
Beginning Trainer

I think it's very creative as long as it's not over done. I always take some time to write something to make it sound perfect to me but it was rare for me add that chat speak but still it can look really good as long as it's not over done like I said. (I might be just weird taking a long time to type.) :D
Old April 15th, 2005 (06:23 PM).
Shana
bigmouth strikes again.

Send a message via AIM to Shana Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shana
A little bit is alright, but it kinda gets on my nerves. It makes you look st00pid. XD
In my arms you won't sleep safely.
And of lust we are re-born
on our passion's killing floor.
Old April 15th, 2005 (06:33 PM).
Trikip
Can you Handel this?

It's really annoying, although I don't mind a "lol" now and then.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links