The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more intellectual topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Arwen
Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)

Send a message via ICQ to Arwen Send a message via AIM to Arwen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Arwen Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen
Well, everyone heard about the infected cow that was found in the US during vacation?

I did... I gave up beef because of this... (I can live without beef for a while... though...)

Symtoms that I heard in a human is: Depression, forgetfullness, holes in brain.

PC Rep: Arwen Pokmon Rep: Eevee RL Rep: Me!
Paired up with Latios Master!
Please help my allience Click this every day.
PC Chat: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind the Name
ARWEN f Literature

Means "noble maiden" in Sindarin. In 'The Lord of the Rings' by J. R. R. Tolkien, Arwen was the daughter of Elrond and the lover of Aragorn.

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Zento
Mushroom God

Holes in the brain is a very hard symtom to expect isn't it? ;; You can't really see it right off the bat. XD;

Yeah, I stopped eating beef as well, at least I like chicken.
By any chance do you know what states were having issues with it? I'm trying to be aware, and I tend to forget.
YAS1
What's this...?

I ate beef recently. It's not like they're going to package infected beef. There might be a cure in 2005.
SonicUmbreon
Beginning Trainer

Yeesh.. I'm not that freaked out. I live in the seconed largest beef producing state in the US, Kansas. I live on a farm, even though we don't raise cattle.. Each farm that is around us has cattle. Around here when the first cow in Canada got Mad Cow, the beef prices shot up. But I knew if it was in Canada, it would get here. But anyway, there hasn't been any human cases of Mad Cow on this continent. So don't give up beef, unless you live near Washington and there are human cases
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Alakazam
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Alakazam
I don't eat meat, but I eat fish, so I'm ok. I just think meat is gross, but I eat fish since I need some sort of protein, otherwise I would be dead. Thank you.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Arwen

Send a message via ICQ to Arwen Send a message via AIM to Arwen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Arwen Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen
I'm taking no chances... *eats a chicken...*...

Anyway, I don't eat that much uhhhh... beef...

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Means "noble maiden" in Sindarin. In 'The Lord of the Rings' by J. R. R. Tolkien, Arwen was the daughter of Elrond and the lover of Aragorn.

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
punkie90
You can call me PK!

Send a message via AIM to punkie90 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to punkie90 Send a message via Yahoo to punkie90
What! No more beef for me. Eww. my stomac is rumbling...

Paired with Orange*Berry luckly!
Person I'm most alike
ashley03

Lover is
Kayleigh

Person I admire!

Lightning

My Hommies...

Dizzy
Moonlight
100marios
Iggy
Purin
Kairi
wings
YAS1
Carol
Arwen (Why is she on the list? J/K)
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Arwen

Chicken is better than beef! It's less fatting!!!

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Kayleigh
Pokémon-de-Superb

I've never really enjoyed eating beef. Just the thought of a dead cow makes me sick. But... I do like chicken. ._. *gets kicked out of her Animal Protection group*

JK. XP I'm not going to completely stop eating meat, but I have cut down lately. (Not that I ate a lot of it anyways.) There's an extremely rare chance of anyone ever catching that disease, though if anyone wanted to quit eating meat then I wouldn't blame them. So many animals have become extinct--or nearly extinct, just because of some hunters that wanted to make a stupid fur coat. It's sad, really. I even read that the Bengal tiger should be extinct by 2010.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
no point in "*gasp* I'm not eating beef anymore!".

As cows have a LONG time before showing symtops of Mad Cow disease themselves. They can "hide" the disease up to 7 years long. So if you ate beef within the last 7 years, you got just as much chance of getting it as eating beef like usual or banning beef for your diet starting from today. Whatever you do, just have to depend on luck now...
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Moo.

Er... yeah. I highly doubt there's anything to worry about. In the days after the initial incident, I was reading the papers and experts say that the cow likely contracted the disease because of the feed it was given was from the UK, I believe. The disease probably originated in one cow which was used to make feed for animals, which was then used to feed the cow which later contracted the disease. @_@; Whatever the cause, it's not making me give up beef. I love it and in my family, we often have once a week or more. =\ There has only been one case of BSE/Mad Cow originating in Canada (and possibly the one linked to Canada which occured in the US recently), so I don't really see the need to worry.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/index.html

The above URL is a pretty good page for information, if you want to know more. =\

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
punkie90
You can call me PK!

Send a message via AIM to punkie90 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to punkie90 Send a message via Yahoo to punkie90
i know. But mystomic stilll hurts. Glad i ate chicken today! Go hotdogs!!!

Paired with Orange*Berry luckly!
Person I'm most alike
ashley03

Lover is
Kayleigh

Person I admire!

Lightning

My Hommies...

Dizzy
Moonlight
100marios
Iggy
Purin
Kairi
wings
YAS1
Carol
Arwen (Why is she on the list? J/K)
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Arwen

Depending on luck????

The probality of getting it is 1/As many cows in the US

Don't take chances

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
nah... the chances is (mysterious number as there are too much related factor)/(how many cows there are in the whole world). The "Canada Mad Cow" incident earlier was actually a cow sold from the US . So as you see it's too hard to track down where the disease came from (but the very first case in the world is found within UK boundaries). No point of "don't take chances now so don't eat cow" as you took the chances already by eating beef years ago...
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Arwen

But, still..... I am still not going to eat any more cow!!!!

(Even I ate it before, it's not tinted...)

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Mystical Mewtwo
Or MM2 for lazy typers

Send a message via AIM to Mystical Mewtwo
Two cows are sitting on a hill. One says,

"Hey, bill, have you heard about this new mad cow disease? Are you worried?"

The other one replies,

"Why would i care? I'm a helecopter!"

Hehehe. Just lightening the mood. but it is something to worry about, but im not giving up on beef yet!
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Legendary Anime
Old Legendary Monster

Send a message via AIM to Legendary Anime
You have a WHOLE lot better chance of getting appendecitise(sp?) which can kill you just as easily if not taken to a hospital fast. You shouldn't worry as much as you are about something like this.. May as well not eat anymore beef until they come up with a cure. But that's just stupid. ^~

~Legendary Anime, The Old Legendary Moderator

Last edited by Legendary Anime; January 4th, 2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Arwen

Well, it's tempary. I will start eating beef when theres no mad cow in the US...

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Legendary Anime
Old Legendary Monster

Ok... So why didn't you stop years ago?
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Arwen

There was no case in the US years ago... This only happened so recently.

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen
Well, it's tempary. I will start eating beef when theres no mad cow in the US...
I see where you're coming from, but you're just being paranoid. If everyone was really that worried about it, they would do what Japan is doing now and check EVERY animal being slaughtered for human consumption for BSE to make sure it's okay. But since the US and Canada isn't doing that, you can probably expect that the experts know what they're doing and don't think it's necessary.

Btw, LA... why reverting back to the old username? ;

EDIT: Just got Arwen's post. There may not have been a case years ago, but you can't really notice the symptoms of BSE in live animals until a few years after the disease is contracted... and you can only confirm the disease if the animal is already dead by checking the brain.

tumblrtwitter

Old January 4th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Shining Arcanine
Senior Super Moderator

I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Legendary Anime
Old Legendary Monster

Because I'm tired of people saying: "Oh, you're Legendary Anime from PC a while back". ;

Do you think the cow got the disease and died all in the same day? And who cares if there wasn't a case. What if there wasn't any 'case' now, yet in 5 years there was a case and you said the same thing? There's as much of a chance for it to happen now, 5 years from now, or 100 years from now.

Last edited by Legendary Anime; January 4th, 2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old January 4th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Arwen

The cow is sposed to eat grass! Not meat... ... *sighs*

There can be a link to that.... though..

Quote:
ARWEN f Literature

Old January 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine
I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.
From what I've read, the cow that contracted the disease had eaten feed made from ground up animal parts... but the feed had come from the UK. The farmers probably didn't know the disease could live that long. Once this idea surfaced, I'm fairly certain Canada ceased to use any feed from the UK whatsoever.

Besides, just because the diseased animal came from Canada (which, to my knowledge, has NOT been confirmed yet) doesn't mean that it got the disease here. You can't rule out the possibility it got the disease in the US. Also... didn't the first cow that got the disease in Canada come from the US, or was that just a rumour I'd heard?

edit: Quoted twice... whoops. XD

tumblrtwitter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links