The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Game Development Archive > Archive January 2006 to April 2008

Notices

Archive January 2006 to April 2008 Second archival of the Game Development forums. Contains locked threads from between January 2006 to April 2008, and threads between this period that have been inactive for the last 120 days (since 26th April 2008).

View Poll Results: What do you think of the battle system?
Perfect 22 37.29%
Good 15 25.42%
Stick to the original pokemon one 13 22.03%
Bad 1 1.69%
Total Crap 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:18 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to [_DarkDragon_]
dude... what does music have to do with graphics? I mean even if you use Nintendo's graphics they were actually ripped by someone and that person had the work so you must give credit to both that personand nintendo, in this case I think the people at pokesho made the avatars, if they made them you must give them credit because otherwise you're just being a thief...
Friends: ~*ashley*~, DarkDoom3000, Flareon_Lover_92, Diamond~Star, KAKAROT SSJ4, MasaXGPMat, Kaneda Morspeed, Draginis, Chazzy, Shaneypoo17, Budgie_Boy, GymLeaderLance99 (if you wanna be my friend PM me )

Old November 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
MasaXGPMat
Super Transcedent Milenio

Nature: Relaxed
what dark dragon said
i never knew you could hear graphics :D
yer but seriously i had a friend who found the website and i told dark and me and dark found a lot of stuff there that were funny but anyway like i said music is nothing to do with graphics
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:40 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

besides, if you use someone elses music u also have to give them credit unless they say you don't...
Friends: ~*ashley*~, DarkDoom3000, Flareon_Lover_92, Diamond~Star, KAKAROT SSJ4, MasaXGPMat, Kaneda Morspeed, Draginis, Chazzy, Shaneypoo17, Budgie_Boy, GymLeaderLance99 (if you wanna be my friend PM me )

Old November 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Tyler
PHP Scripter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tyler Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Send a message via Skype™ to Tyler
Heres a new map i made.

please rate
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
MasaXGPMat

8/10 nice work i think you can join
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Tyler
PHP Scripter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tyler Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Send a message via Skype™ to Tyler
Im already on the team since yesterday.
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
MasaXGPMat

lol sorry about that :D well anyway nice work
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

I added the evolutions of the starters to the first post

Old November 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
zshadowzero27
Jounin

Location: I live in a place where i dont think i will tell you okay?
Send a message via AIM to zshadowzero27 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to zshadowzero27
Those are great and i REALLY like the screens

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Naas02
Cerulean cool trainer

Originally Posted by [_DarkDragon_]
dude... what does music have to do with graphics? I mean even if you use Nintendo's graphics they were actually ripped by someone and that person had the work so you must give credit to both that personand nintendo, in this case I think the people at pokesho made the avatars, if they made them you must give them credit because otherwise you're just being a thief...
The same laws apply, if its derived from another work in any way you cant claim it bottom line, if you use them without asking them youre not being a thief a thief is someone who takes something that belongs to someone else. In this case those graphics dont belong to anybody because the people that derived them cant claim them and the original author doesnt want them, this is one of the reasons why "fair use" was created
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

yes but people don#t ask for credit for making them, for example, if I rip emeralds graphics I won't claim credit for the graphics but credit for the ripping then the person who is using them has to credit nintendo for the graphics and me for ripping, that's what I meant, they can choose not to credit but it will look bad on their side

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
mattgcn
.:~PT Staffer #10~:.

Send a message via AIM to mattgcn Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mattgcn Send a message via Yahoo to mattgcn
Hey, Dark Dragon, would you like to write an article about your games for the fangame wiki? *points to sig* It'll be nice to have at least 10 games on it, and I'm asking the best ones I know (Then PT, haha)
(And yes, this message was copy and pasted. It's basically the same message to everyone whose game I like)

Also, since you seem to have many, make another about your project group names.
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

ok, I will write one about "The Spherians Project - Pokemon Chromatite" and another about "Pokemon Sphene Titanite" (which is a project only mine)

Old November 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Naas02
Cerulean cool trainer

yes but people don#t ask for credit for making them, for example, if I rip emeralds graphics I won't claim credit for the graphics but credit for the ripping then the person who is using them has to credit nintendo for the graphics and me for ripping, that's what I meant, they can choose not to credit but it will look bad on their side
yes that is very true, by the way have I told you yet this game looks great? Well it does the dialog box looks really good, do you have manga facesets for all the characters?
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

I have the ones at pokesho, there are a lot of them but I am missing the charsets that go with the paceset for most of them so I might make my own chasets

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

sphere doesn't take much more than 1MB, the space required for a big game just depends on the ammount of code, graphics, etc you include in the game. (our project so far doesn't go over 1MB when zipped )

to apply read the essay I wrote at the Member recruitment thread.

As for the limits... your imagination I think
with more or less patience you can get basically anything done, sphere also has connectivity support for online (which we will add as a room like the wireless room in FRLG where you can trade/battle, etc), you can run the game on real resolution (240x160) or 2x that or even full screen, all it requires is to have Open GL drivers which 96% of the graphics cards in the world support (if it is less than 8 years old I bet it does).

Sphere also has a nice way of getting the current time on your computer which is much easier to create a clock, and it takes less lines of JavaScript code to achieve the same as you do in Ruby

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:33 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Nature: Calm
I agree, i used rmxp and ruby for a wile but u cannot achieve as much as in sphere. As for the project, i think its goin well hopefully we will have some more screens by the end of the week if not sooner.

~Credit to Kyledove for the tiles.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Budgie_boy
A bold new journey awaits

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Budgie_boy
Cool, mayb I will remake my game in sphere!
I will give it a read, anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok can you link me to a few tutorials on sphere or is it just purely javascript?
(I've studied javascript for a good 5 years) Maybe I can help you guys more than ever!!!!:D

WWW.bebo.com/lburgeacoustics - My Music [email protected] - Music Requests for Pokemon...
POA - Supporter
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

would be good to have you on the team, it accepts all JavaScript functions, etc except the conditions that only apply to websites like ONCLICK, etc
As for tutorials:
also, register at the spheredev forums to ask for help (PS: If you need some scripts like tile by tile movement with working teleport and random movement, move, etc functions add me to msn: [email protected])

Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:51 AM
Budgie_boy

Well actually no, it should because my friend has made an application for sphere (yes I have a mate who has sphere), it uses some of the actions used 'only' in internet sites.

I have asked him to ask you to join the team as well, he is a university student studying programming (javascript) so I dunno, maybe he will be better to help you than myself!

WWW.bebo.com/lburgeacoustics - My Music [email protected] - Music Requests for Pokemon...
POA - Supporter
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

oh well, I didn'T know that but I guess you'Re right, if using sphere connectivity functions you should be able to use the website conditions

now, on topic:

New stuff added to the game, Warping system now works (Teleport) perfectly while walking but not when running or bicycling (which I hope to solve tonight). Menu is working and the game can be played in 2x GBA size (explanation on how to will be included in the read me...whenever we release a demo). Tonight I don't have much school work so I will work on the jumping and grass animation system (already brainstorming footprint and reflection system). I started doing Hoenn, up to Route 102, you can see the screenshots at the Wiki (go to first page for link). When I finish tonight's stuff I'll post it there as well and here saying that it is in the Wiki :D

Old November 30th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Budgie_boy

I have major problems with the battle system, i TOTALLY don't like it, you are better off with the old style battles but with better background such as the RmXP backgrounds.
I know it's a bit more difficult to code, I've tried it a dozen times! but it is a much more enjoyable feel to play a pokemon game and get a pokemon styled battle system!

POA - Supporter
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
[_DarkDragon_]
FireDance Trainer

we are trying to be creative here, and so far you'Re the only one who doesn'T like it at all

(Maybe I should make a Poll :F)

Old November 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Budgie_boy

Quote:
we are trying to be creative here, and so far you'Re the only one who doesn'T like it at all

(Maybe I should make a Poll :F)
Yeah, I do apologise that I am being totally traditional here, I have dedicated most of my life (since 1998, when blue version first came out) to everything Pokmon, so yeah, it is a very original idea but in my personal opinion I don't don't like how the battle system is going. I am a traditionalist!

However, I have had a number of ideas since then:
That screen could be like an intro part of battles, then it goes to the "who versus who" screen (like in the elite four or in beauty contests).
Then it moves on to the classic battle screen with better backgrounds and stuff.

POA - Supporter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links