The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!


Advertise here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic

Advertise here
From what I've seen, almost every RP here is a fantasy-style RP. With maybe a few futuristic RPs.
But what I haven't seen is a modern-day, realistic RP. Why is this? Because people don't think they're that interesting?
IMO, a realistic/modern RP could have some quite practical uses.

1st Example: A School RP. Not a school full of kids with super-powers or whatever, but just a regular high school. The practical use of this is that people are able to slightly alter an aspect of their real life and convey it creatively, and, quite frankly, I could definitely see people getting help with their everyday problems through the RP posts of others.

2nd Example: A war RP. Not a war full of laser guns or magic staves, but with current day technology. The practical use of this could be to touch on the world of politics, potentially show people what wars are like from other countries' perspectives, and maybe, just maybe, even inspire people to go out and do something with their lives.

Comments, anyone?
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
  #2    
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Randall Raichu's Avatar
Randall Raichu
Shocking....Isn't It?
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
You have a good point. I modern day RP would be would be cool, I like the High School idea. It might be able to help people out with their bullying problems or solve how to stop being bullied.
__________________
  #3    
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
~Ozy~'s Avatar
~Ozy~
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: White Sword Tower
Age: 26
Gender:
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
For the most part, because there's very little common intrest there. People RP to escape their norm, not to solve the issues that exist within it, or to fantisize instead of seeing more of the same. It is a vessel for people to be someone they are not, who can do things they cannot, and fantasy/sci-fi are the two easiste ways to do this.
__________________
Eternally devoted and wed to my darling pet, Nagoyaka Aikouka.


"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
  #4    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Zelos's Avatar
Zelos
*yawn*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Careful
Yeah, I agree with what ~Ozy~ said, people come here to role-play about fantasy and stuff that they normally couldn't do, not what they go every day to school to do. They experience this stuff about every day, so why would you want to come to a board and relive it all? o.O
__________________
And that, boys and girls, is my super elbow drop.
  #5    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Lily's Avatar
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Joisey
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
Reality's boring. =( You have a point; it's might be fun to shape our everyday lives into an RP...but I'm already living it (that's bad enough).

Besides, people normally prefer to stray from what's average during roleplays. But anyway, no one's stopping you from creating one.
.
__________________

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.

Last edited by Roy Mustang; February 8th, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
  #6    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Electric Hero's Avatar
Electric Hero
(Lightning) Lord
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Desu no Aleph (Ah-LEP)
Gender:
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Electric Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Electric Hero
Like Ozy here said, people RP because they want more, they want to be something they are not, or can't be. Sometimes RPing can be better that writing, becaus ein RPs you can actually interact with other people, that you wouldn't be able in your town, state, or even country.

Maybe people like you, that like a lot what they have, and like to RP too, want to do something they usually do... or they like a lot, like school, or their very life. Usually young ones, kids, want some realistic RPs because they don't need happiness from fantasies or another worlds, because they have enough with what they have, but when someone grows older, there are chances that like you get to know better this world, you realize you need fantasies and another worlds to be happy.. because this one is... going down... maybe.
__________________
LOOK AT ME!!!!! Good! now... leave me alone! XD

http://207.46.8.124/cgi-bin/getmsg/peke9%2ejpg?&msg=0D03E21B-1AE6-4797-90C9-C2E192C1F1EA&start=0&len=110892&mimepart=8&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&b=aef3c92fab14f3194454a747cf05fce1&disk=10.1.106.215_d2924&login=maxz72&domain=hotmail%2ecom&_lang=EN&country=MX&SafeRedirect=%26hm___ts%3d1174535620%26hm___ha%3dad07d426dd387a236c308f7379efdad6
Go for it, kid!
  #7    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic
Well, it seems you're all talking about the school RP type thing.
Actually, in my RP, I actually did incorporate my school INTO a fantasy setting...so, yeah.

But, the other thing to consider is a present day war. Ozy said RPing is to be something they normally couldn't; well, I think going to war and stuff is probably something the average person doesnt do =/
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
  #8    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Yeah, but you're school in the RP plays such a little role that now it's run down shack covered in blood
__________________
if you gave me a chance i would take it
it's a shot in the dark but i'll make it
  #9    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoko-chan
Yeah, but you're school in the RP plays such a little role that now it's run down shack covered in blood
True. But every character I RP is actually based off a real person, including Jirae.
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
  #10    
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Lily's Avatar
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Joisey
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
It's true realistic characters/setting/themes might have been incorporated into the rpg, but in such way that one can easily differentiate between unrealism and our daily lives. Perhaps that's why the difference between our lives and fantasy styled rpgs seems vast?
__________________

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.
  #11    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Jack O'Neill's Avatar
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
I for one would like to see a modern-day (or close to it, like World War II) war RP. Less swords and bows, less lightsabres and blasters, more M1 Garands and AK-47s. Less knights on horseback, less spacecraft, more Panzers and MiGs.

You've all fought in medieval and futuristic settings. Why not storm the beaches of Normandy, drive a Russian tank around Kursk, or pilot a B-29 on a bombing run over Japan? Why not battle North Koreans on the 38th parallel, be it in the cockpit of an F-86 Sabre or with an M1 Garand in your hands? Why not hunt down Viet Cong along the Ho Chi Minh Trail or duel North Vietnamese MiGs in a trusty F-4 Phantom? Why not battle Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard on the outskirts of Baghdad or track down Taliban forces in the mountains of Afghanistan?

Even "realistic" combat with good old guns and tanks can be escapist enough for your wants or needs. xP
  #12    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Electric Hero's Avatar
Electric Hero
(Lightning) Lord
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Desu no Aleph (Ah-LEP)
Gender:
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Electric Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Electric Hero
Unfortunately Jack O'Neill, World War II RPs are not allowed for one reason: the whole war was against the jews. Even the games of World War II are really great, PC can't accept RPs that mention something against religions. Yea, it's great to have a scoped Mosin-Nagat and firing, but this can cause problems. I have asked David if I could create a WW II RP... he just asked me to avoid mentioning all that... I said I was going to be careful, but then I realized, there was going to be someone to mention all that... so I made another realistic war, like WW II but it was not the same war.

So that's why no one can create a WW II RP... well... we can... but there is allways going to be someone who mentions tragedies against jews (newbies, or n00bs, or even someone that thinks he can say it).
__________________
LOOK AT ME!!!!! Good! now... leave me alone! XD

http://207.46.8.124/cgi-bin/getmsg/peke9%2ejpg?&msg=0D03E21B-1AE6-4797-90C9-C2E192C1F1EA&start=0&len=110892&mimepart=8&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&b=aef3c92fab14f3194454a747cf05fce1&disk=10.1.106.215_d2924&login=maxz72&domain=hotmail%2ecom&_lang=EN&country=MX&SafeRedirect=%26hm___ts%3d1174535620%26hm___ha%3dad07d426dd387a236c308f7379efdad6
Go for it, kid!
  #13    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Jack O'Neill's Avatar
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hunter
Unfortunately Jack O'Neill, World War II RPs are not allowed for one reason: the whole war was against the jews. Even the games of World War II are really great, PC can't accept RPs that mention something against religions. Yea, it's great to have a scoped Mosin-Nagat and firing, but this can cause problems. I have asked David if I could create a WW II RP... he just asked me to avoid mentioning all that... I said I was going to be careful, but then I realized, there was going to be someone to mention all that... so I made another realistic war, like WW II but it was not the same war.

So that's why no one can create a WW II RP... well... we can... but there is allways going to be someone who mentions tragedies against jews (newbies, or n00bs, or even someone that thinks he can say it).
Who said we have to limit a World War II RP to just the European theatre of operations? We could relocate it to the Pacific theatre of operations; last time I checked, the Japanese didn't persecute Jews.

Of course, there are the wars after World War II (Korea, Vietnam, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and the various wars in Iraq, among others) and the wars before it (namely, World War I). Just don't go too far back or forward in time, or we're back to the same old medieval and futuristic RPs we're trying to escape in the first place.
  #14    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Alana's Avatar
Alana
I still love this world...
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Right here
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
War can be a bit of a dangerous subject. Realistic war anyway. The main problem would be dragging politics into it. If that happened it's very likely a flame war would break out.

However I do see your point. I created a couple High School themed RPGs that went pretty well. True they never finished and the one I posted on here was a High School dance but it was still pretty fun. And school RPGs don't have to be related to our actual life. There could be a festival at the school or, like the one I made, a dance. Something that ties it into modern life but also makes it fun. That's why people create RPGs that have kids with special powers in some kind of school.

However, I don't think people will join an RPG that is nothing more than an every day school with no special events or anything. Who would want to go to school when they got home?
__________________

~Reopened~

Spoiler:
Thought you'd see something interesting here, didn't ya? :D


Finally Alyssa spoke again, her eyes locked on the ball in my hand. “That isn’t an ordinary Pokeball. We call it the Soul Ball. The Pokemon inside it is very special. It represents who and what you are at the very deepest level. It is essentially your soul in physical form.”

“My soul,” I whispered, awe struck. “So that’s what you meant by my ‘soul companion’.”
~Faye
  #15    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic
yeah, I think WWII is an example. Obviously that wouldn't be a good idea.
But massive global scale wars that aren't based on anti-(insert religion here) could work.

Now that I think about it, I couldn't understand a single word in Jack O' Neil's post...=P
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
  #16    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Well isn't this getting popular? I think a war would be a good idea, but it'd be limited to few RPers. Everyone knows what a standard Bow and Arrow is, but not many people know what the G-21 blah blah blah whatever is. (Personally I don't know either, that was just a random set of letters and numbers) So that would constrict the member choice, but then again, most RP's aren't setting out to please the world, I just know that it wouldn't appeal to me personally.
__________________
if you gave me a chance i would take it
it's a shot in the dark but i'll make it
  #17    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Jack O'Neill's Avatar
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
War can be a bit of a dangerous subject. Realistic war anyway. The main problem would be dragging politics into it. If that happened it's very likely a flame war would break out.
What politics is there in being a Filipino POW taking part in the Bataan Death March? What politics is there in flying an F6F Hellcat to defend your fleet from kamikazes? What politics is there in raising the flag over Iwo Jima?
  #18    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Alana's Avatar
Alana
I still love this world...
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Right here
Age: 22
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
Poltics and war are tied together. If there's a war then politics has a part in it. After all, who sends us to war? Who authorizes us to go to war? The government and the president right? So that's how it could be tied in. I know it doesn't seem like it would cause a problem but it could. Not a very high chance but you're talking to Ms. Paranoid so I can always find problems with things like that.
__________________

~Reopened~

Spoiler:
Thought you'd see something interesting here, didn't ya? :D


Finally Alyssa spoke again, her eyes locked on the ball in my hand. “That isn’t an ordinary Pokeball. We call it the Soul Ball. The Pokemon inside it is very special. It represents who and what you are at the very deepest level. It is essentially your soul in physical form.”

“My soul,” I whispered, awe struck. “So that’s what you meant by my ‘soul companion’.”
~Faye
  #19    
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Jack O'Neill's Avatar
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Burninating_Torchic: It's O'Neill with two Ls. There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L. He has no sense of humour at all. xP

Naoko-chan: Well, that's why they invented Wikipedia. You don't know about a gun or an airplane? Look it up. xP

Alana: Why draw attention to politics in the first place? Call of Duty or Battlefield 1942 don't pay attention to the politics of World War II; they just draw you right into the gunslinging and the bloodshed. An war-based RP should be like that too.
  #20    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
pokejungle's Avatar
pokejungle
cherяubi яed
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 川崎市
Age: 24
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to pokejungle Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokejungle Send a message via Yahoo to pokejungle
Ummm, in some forums High School RPs are rampant x_x

And part of the reason people roleplay is to have a different set of rules and conditions than real life~~ we try to get as far from realistic as possible. =D
__________________

  #21    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Jack O'Neill's Avatar
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
And part of the reason people roleplay is to have a different set of rules and conditions than real life~~ we try to get as far from realistic as possible. =D
Extrapolating from that, then why do people play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, and Counter-Strike? They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.

Less Lloyd Irving, more Sam Fisher. xP
  #22    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic
That's exactly the thing about a realistic war RP/Game: It's something very different from everyday life, but it's not too far-out and overfabricated.
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
  #23    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
pokejungle's Avatar
pokejungle
cherяubi яed
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 川崎市
Age: 24
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to pokejungle Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokejungle Send a message via Yahoo to pokejungle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill
Extrapolating from that, then why do people play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, and Counter-Strike? They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.

Less Lloyd Irving, more Sam Fisher. xP
I was on the High School RPing topic. War = not realistic for the average person.

Therefore, what is foriegn is accepted.
__________________

  #24    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill
They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.
Yes, but you don't exactly see monsters running all over the place, aeons dancing around each time you 'summon' them, and you don't exactly see people changing 'jobs' in the middle of a battle, especially when they change to things like 'alchemist' or, 'white mage'. You don't see magic in realistic RP's, so I wouldn't relate real life to Final Fantasy. The only thing I would relate are the graphics, and the settings, and even the settings aren't that realistic. Imagine seeing a blitzball arena. Whoo-wee. Not gonna happen soon. Don't generalize Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamers according to the way you feel, because personally I don't think Final Fantasy is realistically oriented to real life at all. You have to think about it.

As for the real world RP, the reason most people don't do those RPs, is because, you need a plot for that, and not many average kids are gonna try to pull some kind of dictator down, or live their way through high school. These did appear, high school RPs such as 'Live your way through bullies, pop quizzes, and getting shoved into lockers!'. But they just don't last, because nobody wants to roleplay going to school realistically, because then you get to listen to the teacher drone on forever. Trust me, in as many High school RP's I've been in, (Gaia) they all die after the tardy bell rings. You'd need someone who's willing to make realistic things happen within the RP, someone who doesn't care if they look desperate for something to happen, which doesn't happen often. Because really that's the only way you meet someone, is if you shove yourself to their attention and say 'hi!'. To me, I hate making first moves and syuffs like that. Makes me feel like I'm shamefully yelling 'Hey pay attention to me god****it!'. Even though I'm really not.
__________________
if you gave me a chance i would take it
it's a shot in the dark but i'll make it
  #25    
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Burninating_Torchic's Avatar
Burninating_Torchic
Very important
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: College
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Burninating_Torchic Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Burninating_Torchic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoko-chan
Yes, but you don't exactly see monsters running all over the place, aeons dancing around each time you 'summon' them, and you don't exactly see people changing 'jobs' in the middle of a battle, especially when they change to things like 'alchemist' or, 'white mage'. You don't see magic in realistic RP's, so I wouldn't relate real life to Final Fantasy. The only thing I would relate are the graphics, and the settings, and even the settings aren't that realistic. Imagine seeing a blitzball arena. Whoo-wee. Not gonna happen soon. Don't generalize Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamers according to the way you feel, because personally I don't think Final Fantasy is realistically oriented to real life at all. You have to think about it.
I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He said that realistic games like war games allow you to find escape, and final fantasy allows you to find escape, and therefore they're similiar in that aspect.
__________________
Coming back to a forum after like three years of inactivity is rather surreal.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.