Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Junk food advertising

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old May 22nd, 2006 (01:27 AM).
let it go
Crystal TierEO

I have been studying junk food advertising and i have been thinking is it necisary to have junk food advertising on while children are watching telivision? Because when it is on tv many families have their children saying can i have that but when they get there it's pretty pointless for junk food to be advertised while children are watching tv. But when parents watch tv there is less ads on junk food is this because the adults do not feel the need to buy junk food or what so can someone like enlighten me on the junk food issue as i put it?
Old May 22nd, 2006 (02:34 AM).
SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)

Location: In a cottage waiting for my mansion over the hilltop!
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Squeegee Beckenheim Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Squeegee Beckenheim
Because kids are the #1 buyer of junk food and parents aren't. I have seen plenty junk food commericials during older person programs so it is not just one way. But junk food advertisers would be dumb if they didn't advertise during children's programing. Money is the big thing there are no special reasons otherwise.

Use to be "The Hunk"
Old May 22nd, 2006 (04:50 AM).
void

Nature: Adamant
God ****, your signatures are massive.

Television advertisements are often targeted at a particular audience; this doesn't necessarily mean junk food adverts during Kids' TV. How about late at night, when all of the suggestive advertisements spring to air? These ones are targeting adults instead.

Now, let me ask, would it be logical to display adverts for McDonalds, or the latest kid snacks during the early hours of the morning? No, it wouldn't be. Remember that money is behind this as well, and it'll be pointless for an advertising company to exhibit such adverts at this time period, otherwise it will just be a loss of effort and money.
Old May 22nd, 2006 (09:26 AM).
♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥

Pretty much like everyone has been saying, junk food is primarily marketed towards children and teenagers. I heard that in a recent study, over 200 junk food commercials--I don't recall which particular television station--were aired in only a mere hour or so. It's also one of the leading causes of obesity, and as well as diabetes, among children nowadays.

But, you have to think about the psychology behind the advertising. Yeah, it's true there are kinds of junk food advertised for older audiences, like chocolate and ice cream, but the way they drag younger children into their trap is by usually showing it in cartoon form. Sugary cereals like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs are examples. Even look at how they're displayed in a grocery store--those kinds of cereals, and along with other junk foods, are mostly stocked on the lower shelves so it's easier for young children to spot those foods at their height.

The sad thing is, these advertising companies are all in it for the money; and, the end result is a lot of young people are steadily getting unhealthier. >_<

|| be careful what you wish for 'cause you just might get it ||

| c h r y s t i e | partners in crime | k a y l e i g h |
Old May 22nd, 2006 (01:25 PM).
Banned

Nature: Adamant
There's no way to stop it, so I guess we have to deal with it.
Old May 22nd, 2006 (01:53 PM).
Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth

Nature: Bold
Its pretty pathetic the way they advertise these days.

A McDonald's commercial that just tries to attract buyers by showing Ronald McDonald's face all the time and saying the stupid solgan "I'm Lovin' It" that they came up with recently.

It probably costs $1.5 million for a 30 second commercial, so they're just losing more money than they're making.
Old May 23rd, 2006 (04:35 AM).
Deepsea Toothache

Actually, there is a way to stop it.

In the UK, legislation is coming in to ban advertising of junk foods before 9 pm, which is generally the time most kids are in bed. Also, they are banning junk food from being sold in schools from next year.

This is definitely the way forward, and it's about time as well.

Remember, anything is possible, if you have the will to make it so.

Of course I'm Houndoom, I'm Toothache!
I get Crunch and Bite moves, tasty!
(Thanks to Broleta for the banner)

Random quote: You're not paranoid when they're really out to get you...

Yes, I am back. Chat to me, and get to know me once again.

Old May 23rd, 2006 (03:10 PM).
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Well ts up to the kids to stop eatting. I also think that there is no way to beat it. If kids are addicted to it and you take it away, then kids are going to find another way to get to that food. The Hunk has a point when he said that Kids are the #1 buyers of junk food because its true and well we can't help it.

~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old May 23rd, 2006 (04:00 PM).
Banned

Quote originally posted by Toothache:
Actually, there is a way to stop it.

In the UK, legislation is coming in to ban advertising of junk foods before 9 pm, which is generally the time most kids are in bed. Also, they are banning junk food from being sold in schools from next year.

This is definitely the way forward, and it's about time as well.

Remember, anything is possible, if you have the will to make it so.
That's idiotic. Advertising does nothing, it's the person's own decision whether or not they want to eat it. There's no reason to do that.
Old May 27th, 2006 (06:55 AM).
Venusaur is #1

I agree with the junk food thing, kids will eat junk food and watch TV at the same time and get reallt overweight.
Old May 27th, 2006 (09:05 AM).
Banned

Quote originally posted by Shadeslayer:
I agree with the junk food thing, kids will eat junk food and watch TV at the same time and get reallt overweight.
Kids that that happens to deserve to end up like that. If they get exercise/play sports and don't just eat crap, they'll be fine. If they don't eat healthy, don't exercise or play sports or don't do any of that, it's their own fault.
Old May 27th, 2006 (09:11 AM).

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Zone:
That's idiotic. Advertising does nothing, it's the person's own decision whether or not they want to eat it. There's no reason to do that.
I agree with you..You should decide if you want too eat it or not
Old May 27th, 2006 (04:51 PM).
ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z

Kids that that happens to deserve to end up like that. If they get exercise/play sports and don't just eat crap, they'll be fine. If they don't eat healthy, don't exercise or play sports or don't do any of that, it's their own fault.
It's only their own fault if they are old enough to realize it. A six year old doesn't understand why ice cream is harmful. It should be up to the parents to monitor the junk food.
Old May 27th, 2006 (05:02 PM).
Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth

Nature: Bold
There are some good advertisements that can lure children.

Vault, a drink that didn't come out too long ago by the Coca-Cola Company, has 78 grams of sugar in 20 ounce bottle! That is loved by many teens these days.

Nothing stopped cotton candy did it? Nope. Pure sugar.

I must admit that I'm addicted to Sonic's milkshakes and don't think anything will break that addiction. Though I need fat. I'm underweight.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 28th, 2006 (12:27 PM).
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
The thing being, advertising DOES influence what people do. That's the point of it, and the ultimate goal of advertising is to reach the point where people don't see it as advertising anymore, but as part of their life.

Adverts are designed to appeal to people, and many junk food adverts targeted at less experienced and more impressionable minds do just that. Companies wouldn't spend money on advertising if it wasn't profitable. Yes, there is a definate choice by the consumer involved, and advertising is not an entirely evil entity, but it is successful in influencing or persuading people, and consequently, it is not entirely the fault of the consumer.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links