The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Game Development Archive

Notices

Game Development Archive Locked games or old games, look for the old games that were in Game Development before November 20, 2005 or were locked before January 19, 2006.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?
Yes 46 74.19%
No 5 8.06%
Not sure yet... 11 17.74%
I don't care 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Sponge_Bartjuh
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
zephadus, you are right in some point, but there's one major thing rm2k can better do than rm2k3, and that's the number of variables. In rm2k3 you're stuck to 5000? Something like that. With a patch, rm2k can store up to 30,000 variables. And since Pokmon fangames uses a LOT of variables, I'm sticking with rm2k
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
zephadus
Trainer upset about # of PKMN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to zephadus Send a message via Yahoo to zephadus
I could probably easily hack my RM2K3 to be able to have the same amount of variables, but maybe I can't, so I won't even try. lol
I can see why you would choose RM2K over 2003.
Not only is 2000 more common, but you can be proud that you got what you wanted with not-exactly-new software. lol
So is 2000 the official maker of this game, or what, then?

[All this stuff deleted at my request, 'cause I was babbling like a jerk]

Oh yeah, and I've still got the Pokmon RPG_RT.exe for both RM2K and RM2K3.
They include that funny "P" thing for money, and the "", which comes as "k".
If anybody needs it, feel free to PM me or something. lol

Last edited by zephadus; April 23rd, 2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
DarkMage31
RM2K(3) Master

Dark, if you arent good with pictures then I will do the panning for you. You need to be very very good with pictures if you are doing a major part in the battle. What do you mean we will not have the game fullscreen? Like in the little gb roms with the emulator? They had a little border, but I don't know why we would bother doing our whole game like that... Seems a bit much effort for no reason

And what's going on? You have done tackle for both pokemon? I already had our attack selection programmed in... and what was this about level-based enemyattacks? why is the enemy pokemon using tackle then..?

I will send you those pokemon later dark..
Arent you adding IF switches for pokemon and attacks..? That is a very important part.. then we can just use the whole bunch of IF switches for everything else we need, instead of having to program them again we can just copy and paste. (saves us time, effort, and cost of mistakes)
In regard to Meerkat's post: Trust me. I have everything done in the most efficient way possible (I hope :D)

It's true, I'm not the best with pictures. You better do the panning. What did do, though, is create an avi video you/we can use for reference.

Ours I think will be full screen, but Daegon a while back suggested to have the battle system only partial screen, and I think that's what Sponge is doing too. So I was just inquiring into the advantages and disadvangages.

I didn't touch anything you did, Meerkat. All I did was program some of the enemy's moves. I didn't meddle with the ally move selection at all.

Level based enemy attacks are because a level 2 pikachu will know significantly less than a level 30 pikachu. So I have IF's like:
<>Branch if Var[0037een Which Pokemon] is 2 (I changed it from 1 to 2)
<>Branch if Var[0038een Pokemon Level] is 50 less (I added this variable, and the level [50 in this example] can be customized to which level pokemon learn moves)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb]Set Rnd [1-3] (If Latios is below level fifty, it has learned 3 moves, which means at level 50 it learns it's fourth move. The random calculator determines which of the three it uses)
<>Branch if Var[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb] is 1
<>Message: Enemy Latios used TACKLE! (Can you rip/add the pictures for this?)

Then I show the animations and it loops back to your turn. I had to add some switches to make the loop complete. The reason I used Tackle was simply a test. Of course, Latios wouldn't know tackle at level 50 :D

What do you think?

Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Krazy_Meerkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMage31
In regard to Meerkat's post: Trust me. I have everything done in the most efficient way possible (I hope :D)

It's true, I'm not the best with pictures. You better do the panning. What did do, though, is create an avi video you/we can use for reference.

Ours I think will be full screen, but Daegon a while back suggested to have the battle system only partial screen, and I think that's what Sponge is doing too. So I was just inquiring into the advantages and disadvangages.

I didn't touch anything you did, Meerkat. All I did was program some of the enemy's moves. I didn't meddle with the ally move selection at all.

Level based enemy attacks are because a level 2 pikachu will know significantly less than a level 30 pikachu. So I have IF's like:
<>Branch if Var[0037een Which Pokemon] is 2 (I changed it from 1 to 2)
<>Branch if Var[0038een Pokemon Level] is 50 less (I added this variable, and the level [50 in this example] can be customized to which level pokemon learn moves)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb]Set Rnd [1-3] (If Latios is below level fifty, it has learned 3 moves, which means at level 50 it learns it's fourth move. The random calculator determines which of the three it uses)
<>Branch if Var[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb] is 1
<>Message: Enemy Latios used TACKLE! (Can you rip/add the pictures for this?)

Then I show the animations and it loops back to your turn. I had to add some switches to make the loop complete. The reason I used Tackle was simply a test. Of course, Latios wouldn't know tackle at level 50 :D

What do you think?
thats great! I have an idea on the damage factor of the battle (because a lv 45 Latios won't be able to hav same damage as lv 20 Latios) I will just amplify damage by the level. eg.
<>Variable Oper[0037:Enemy Damage]Set 10 (we will just change this before every battle, depends on how vicious you want your pokemon to be)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Damage]Multiply [0040:Enemy Level]

I also had a few other ideas like
<>Variable Oper[0037:Fierceness]Set 4 (this will affect how often the pokemon attacks)
<>Variable Oper[0037ower]Set Rnd [2-7] (this will affect how much power the enemy puts into it's attack every turn.. (like a percentage out of it's max power))
<>Variable Oper[0037peed]Set 8 (obviously this will affect whether it attacks faster than you, maybe it could attack you twice in one turn or it is too slow and you have the opportunity to attack twice..)
<>Variable Oper[0037:Mood]Set 5 (this would be to determine what the enemy feels like doing, it might not feel like attacking.. maybe it will run away, maybe it will ask to join up with you, or maybe it will dodge an attack.. i dont know, there are lots of things this could do.. it will usually be attacking though, don't want to stray too far away from the battle. It's just so that the battles arent the same EVERY SINGLE TIME.. uuuhhhhh i hate that repetative factor in the Gameboy games..)

well anyway, tell me what you think

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Happy Gilmore
Love that movie...

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Happy Gilmore
I was wondering if you guys needed a hand with something on the game, because I'd be happy to help you out.

Last edited by Happy Gilmore; April 23rd, 2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:34 PM
MysticSwampert
Lord of little people!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MysticSwampert
Dm, here's the first part of the ingame story(well actually its the last, but its kinda the first, but its really the last but its not the last its the first one ive done but it would be the last if i did them in order) I hope it doesnt appear in any differnent games on this site, as we would all know where it came from.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Story 4 Pkmn game..txt‎ (1.5 KB, 71 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Wish Maker and the DNA process team

Join my Warhammer 40,000 RP! PLEASE!!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

Hey everyone, I thought of a new name.. ok how about Pokemon Golden Sun edition? I think it sounds nice.

I don't really like that storyline.. there's clich everywhere in it. I can handle a bit, but not that much.. what about something where you move to a new town, and get bullied and pushed around at school. Then one day some kids are pushing you around (this is where the story starts) and all of a sudden, a pokemon jumps out of the bushes and scares off the bullies.

The pokemon follows you home and you decide to keep it..Then you see a poster on your wall and realise you can finally enter the pokemon tournament at school! Once you win, you are told you can enter a city-wide tournament, but you have to have 3 badges first. You go off on your journey and the rest writes itself.

These are just my opinions, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I would really like to see some tournament-style action in the game instead of just getting badges to beat 4 people who are always the same and always have the same stats. For what? Just so you can say "I beat some crappy people". Really theres no point in that.

I think some rankings would really boost the player interest in the game. Of course this wouldn't be the main aim of the game, just an interesting optional quest

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Sorye HK
Looking around here and there

Nature: Adamant
I like the part about the tournament thing. I guess we could use some random numbers for trainers. But for a tournament sort of battle, we'll need alot of trainer sprites. Mystic Swampert, your story sounds alright, but the part about invasions and stuff, just don't seem "pokemonish." (if you get what I mean)
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Savant

You should change parts of the game into something else than they were in the official games.. like change the Elite Four into a tournament instead of just the 4-5 trainers etc
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Sponge_Bartjuh
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by MysticSwampert
Dm, here's the first part of the ingame story(well actually its the last, but its kinda the first, but its really the last but its not the last its the first one ive done but it would be the last if i did them in order) I hope it doesnt appear in any differnent games on this site, as we would all know where it came from.
Wow you confused the heck outta me Ah well...... I want more screenies!!!
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

Oh, trainer sprites arent a problem. I got all pokemon ruby's trainers already... I just need to convert them to .PNG format. Yes the tournament won't be a very hard part of the game. I have a tournament in my game and I did all the random coding myself..

Old April 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Isaac17
Ridiculed One

Hey, I need help with my pokemon fan game's battle system too. I didn't read the whole thread but I will unless you can give some pointers.

On RM2K, I put two monsters on the feild for a test. A Pikachu front view and a Pikachu back view. I know that when I'll fight, it'll be two pokemon to attack since I don't know how to make it so YOU or YOUR pokemon attack the enemy instead of a tripple way fight. THe thing is, in my fan game, you aren't a trainer you're RED's Pikachu. So i need a way to make it so you're the pikachu back view instead of an offscreen guy.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:02 AM
DeathChill
Beginning Trainer

Uh...I wouldn't go amplifying the attack base power by the Pokemon's level unless you want a game that's REALLY odd. Use the actual game formulas which can EASILY be found all over.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM
DarkMage31
RM2K(3) Master

Mood and ferocity? Sounds great! (I'll leave that up to you though :D)

Happy Gilmore: Just tell us what you want to do to help

Golden Sun Edition? Golden Sun is the name of a popular RPG for the GBA. Just ask Isaac17, Isaac is the main character.

Gotta go, so I'll ttyl. I'm in a big rush.

Old April 24th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

well i am amplifying the level by the attack to give how much damage will be "max damage". If it seems too much i will make it 1/5 smaller or something. Unless you want a battle system which has high level pokemon doing 1-2 damage

Old April 24th, 2004, 03:19 PM
DarkMage31
RM2K(3) Master

Yeah, since we're making the "official" battle system, let's just use the games' formulas. Where can we find them? Have any good links?

Isaac: In RM2K you can show pictues in battle, in Rm2K3 you can't. Get rm2k for this.

About the elite four: I'm doing this in my game, but we can use it in this one too if you want: I'm using the elite four as a qualifying round to participate in the ultimate tournament. You must be strong enough to beat the elite. Can't have all the noobie trainers in a national competition, eh?

Old April 24th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

that sounds pretty kool.. but i think that we should leave out the badge thing to fight the elite four... or leave out the elite four and just collect badges to enter the tournament, maybe something like when you get 1 badge you can enter Tournament 1 and whe you get 4, you can enter Tournament 4.. etc etc. Each has more powerful people in it and bigger prizemoney etc..

Old April 24th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Dawson
The Rebirth Is Upon Us

yeah, i like that idea Meerkat. Sort of like Pokemon Stadium where you have the different ranked cups with each cup getting more difficult.
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM
DarkMage31
RM2K(3) Master

That's cool, but I'd say you must have all the badges to qualify for the Elite Four round of the competition. The badges thing is part of the pkmn league, right? Each step can be a round qualifying for the next, until the final 1 on 1 showdown. There can be different divisions (per region, you chose which region to represent), etc. Here's how I thnk the flow should work
1)Chose your region
2) Chose your sub-division (3 per region)
3)Get 8 badges in your region
4) Particiapte in regional qualification round- against other two sub-divisons
5) Get all the badges from all the other territories
6) Elite Four, qualifies for Nationals
7)National competition, four random-set divisions like in tournament mode in SSB:M
8) Final showdown- you and your rival 2 B a pokemon masta'! (Rival is not determined at beginning of game- rather whoever reaches finals)

What do u all think?

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

hmm that sounds alright... yea! we could have lots of different reigons and you choose which one you start in at the beginning. we will be havong our own new reigon wont we?

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Dawson
The Rebirth Is Upon Us

yeah, theat's cool. another option would be to make type specific tournaments in different regions, such as only being able to use fighting pokemon in one place and water pokemon in another area.
and if were going to include all the previous regions i'll be able to do that pretty easily as i'm going to do that in my game.
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

That's great! Wish I thought of it lol! And we should only run tournaments at certain parts of the day/month or something... We will be including a date/time thing wont we? I think we should make time go at a very fast rate (eg. 1 min=1 hr) something like that so that people don't actually have to wait 5 hrs or something to do a certain thing, and we can do day/night thing as well. and people wont be in the dark for ages..

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM
zephadus

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to zephadus Send a message via Yahoo to zephadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Meerkat
You move to a new town, and get bullied and pushed around at school. Then one day some kids are pushing you around (this is where the story starts) and all of a sudden, a pokemon jumps out of the bushes and scares off the bullies.

The pokemon follows you home and you decide to keep it..Then you see a poster on your wall and realise you can finally enter the pokemon tournament at school! Once you win, you are told you can enter a city-wide tournament, but you have to have 3 badges first. You go off on your journey and the rest writes itself.
That's an awesome storyline!
Better than the one I have for Evolution of Time, too. lol
The Golden Sun thing is a bit too strange, though.
The name would sound okay if there wasn't that Golden Sun game already, but there is that game already, so I figure it would have to be something else to grab attention.
And just in case you don't often search for Pokmon fangames, about 80% of them have the word "Edition" in them, and it gets really old... Really fast.
I'd suggest a name, but I'd have to know more about the storyline and such.
Without more, all I can do is give random ideas:
Pokmon Destiny, Pokmon: Master Universe, or something like that.
Anyway, it's dinner time, so I'm off!
Peace out!
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM
zephadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Meerkat
and we can do day/night thing as well. and people wont be in the dark for ages..
I'm really REALLY good with Day/Night systems!
Lemme know if ya need me for that.
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:11 PM
DeathChill
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by DarkMage31
Yeah, since we're making the "official" battle system, let's just use the games' formulas. Where can we find them? Have any good links?
http://www.turquoisecity.com/Labs/Studies/Formulas.shtm
http://www.upc.pkmn.co.uk/games/rs/guides/
www.pokefor.tk

Those are all FULL of the Ruby/Sapphire/Gold/Silver/Red/Blue formulas so I'd figure you'd find them useful~

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here