Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Game Development Archive
Reload this Page RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Archive Locked games or old games, look for the old games that were in Game Development before November 20, 2005 or were locked before January 19, 2006.

View Poll Results: Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?
Yes 46 74.19%
No 5 8.06%
Not sure yet... 11 17.74%
I don't care 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12th, 2004 (12:34 AM).
Insane..
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I got a few questions about the game big game that we are making. For the maps do you want me to make a brand new region(sounds good to me). If so tell me how many towns, routes, caves and gyms and i'll do the rest.

Old May 12th, 2004 (03:00 AM).
Looking around here and there

Nature: Adamant
The only one with actual formulas is the first link. The second link's only useful for
Base stats. (unless we use the GS formulas) The third link's site I can't reach.

I've sometimes been really frustrated about not having the abillity to give up a battle.
Why don't we add that in? It's just a simple bit of coding. Unless everyone wants to stick with the official system.
Old May 12th, 2004 (12:14 PM).
RM2K(3) Master

If people want it, they can add it in. Our job is to give the engine. If we want, we can add it for our game as well, but not JUST the engine.

Old May 16th, 2004 (07:17 PM).
Back in Action...again...

Send a message via AIM to rubyrulez Send a message via Yahoo to rubyrulez Send a message via Skype™ to rubyrulez
Very, Very good, but how do you plan to expand it's capabilities to include battles against all 386 Pokemon, plus include a capture system, and how will you incorporate this into a game? But still, it's very, very good!
Old May 16th, 2004 (11:27 PM).
Looking around here and there

Nature: Adamant
hey, I think we should only use one map for the whole battle system.
For different pokemon, we can have a switch for each section with different
pokemon, and that switch will activate some random number events, each number
the pokemon you battle with.

Quote:
how will you incorporate this into a game?
if the whole battle system is done on one map, all we would have to do
is copy that map and maybe some switches and variables if we want to
re-design or update later.
Old May 17th, 2004 (05:38 AM).

yeah i was wondering the same as Rubyrulez. how are you gonna make the capture system and the damage calculations for every single move against every single type of pokemon. it sounds like there is a long way to go.
Old May 17th, 2004 (05:50 AM).
The Rebirth Is Upon Us

does anyone know when us map designers get to start on the project, i thought it would have been passed down by now.
Old May 17th, 2004 (03:05 PM).
RM2K(3) Master

In regard to what all of you have been saying:

The capture system is easy. I've got that all scripted out in Pokmon Lunar, my individual game. The only changes I would make before transferring it over to this project is incorporating the official formulas for the capture probability. Other than that, capturing is no problem.

Damage calculations are easy- we've got all the formulas we could ever want straight from the official games. It simply a matter of applying that to RM2K using variables as each element in the equation.

Yes, one map for the system sounds great. It's just a matter of setting the variables before the battle. That can be done in Common Events, no problems. We can even use different paralax bg's for different settings (cave, forest, grass, etc). Sound good?

As for the rest of the chain, Meerkat has the game, and he's out for 3 weeks total. It's been 2 weeks so far. I don't know what he's done or hasn't done. So I've done little tidbits here and there, nothing major. I don't want to impede on Meerkat's progress. When the system is finished, the project will be passed to the first map designer, who will work closely with the story creator to lay out the maps. It will circulate among the mappers until the layout is all set. Then it will be passed to the event ppl, who will work on the substance of the game. They will also work closely with the story creator so the storyline can be implimented with the events. Then the Common Event people finish it off with weather, blinking, day and night, and all that fun stuff.

Sound like a plan?

Old May 17th, 2004 (05:05 PM).

Send a message via AIM to rubyrulez Send a message via Yahoo to rubyrulez Send a message via Skype™ to rubyrulez
Sounds perfect, this battle system will lead to great things in the future! Good Luck to you and everyone working on this new system!
Old May 18th, 2004 (12:15 AM).
Insane..
Silver Tier

Hey DM you made that last bit sound so professional wich I like and it sounds like we have a plan, so I can't wait to get to work.

Old May 18th, 2004 (04:30 AM).
The Rebirth Is Upon Us

this is just so cool! btw who is the story creator? are we including the old regions in the game because my brother has been doing Kanto maps with r/s chipsets so i could just copy them for this project. are we gonna use fr/lg or r/s chipsets anyway?
oh, and we still need a name...
Old May 18th, 2004 (10:45 AM).

Send a message via AIM to awkwardsilencer
the name come last in a project.

Im on my search for my first legit shiny on my Gba ruby and firered...never found one except for on the comp on a rom. wooo.
Old May 18th, 2004 (10:57 AM).
RM2K(3) Master

awkwardsilencer is right. The name should come last.

For the story creator, so far we have (if I remember correctly) Mystic Swampert.

As far as progress, we'll just have to wait until Krazy Meerkat comes back. If he doesn't come back by the end of next week, I say we move on without him. What say you?

Old May 22nd, 2004 (05:41 PM).

I think you get this done and out of your way as soon as you can. This Battle System will benefit a ton of people, including yourself and all people working on it. You should aslo consider designing trainers to use with this battle system, and animating them to throw a pokeball! That would be really cool!
Old May 22nd, 2004 (08:09 PM).
Insane..
Silver Tier

Hey DM who's the first map designer?

Old May 23rd, 2004 (12:48 AM).
The Rebirth Is Upon Us

i think its you rm2k3kid. DM can you post the job chart somewhere on the first page because i can never find it.
Old May 23rd, 2004 (04:16 AM).
RM2K(3) Master

Hmm...

You are rm2k3kid. The others for map design are Phoenix316, Avatar, and Awkwardsilencer.

Old May 23rd, 2004 (04:30 AM).
RM2K(3) Master

The devil? Okay, I'm not even going to ask...

I'm not sure... I think I'll take it up again because Meerkat doesn't seem like he's coming back. Since this is a team effort, there should be no problem with release delay. Gotta run and work on it!

Old May 23rd, 2004 (04:54 AM).
RM2K(3) Master

WTF? Die? Like... die? Whoa, that came as a little bit of a shock. For you Daegon, I'll work hard to get this done... are you sure you're going to die?

Old May 23rd, 2004 (09:28 AM).
Trainer upset about # of PKMN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to zephadus Send a message via Yahoo to zephadus
Daegon's gonna die? WTF?
What's the deal? Terminal illness?
Man, that's fek'd-up...
Old May 23rd, 2004 (01:00 PM).
RM2K(3) Master

Yeah, that's pretty heavy... wow. I'm really sorry. I hope you get over whatever's getting you, Daegon.

*goes to work on game*

Old May 23rd, 2004 (11:32 PM).
Insane..
Silver Tier

Quote:
You are rm2k3kid. The others for map design are Phoenix316, Avatar, and Awkwardsilencer.
kool :D ... just tell me when you need me and I get strait to it... :D

Old May 23rd, 2004 (11:46 PM).
Rawr!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Krazy_Meerkat
I cant believe you would move on without me DM. Come on man, I waited for you!

Pokemon Indigo League is a re-creation of the original Pokemon TV series in game form
Old May 23rd, 2004 (11:59 PM).
Insane..
Silver Tier

Krazy your back and right on time...

Old May 24th, 2004 (12:16 AM).
Rawr!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Krazy_Meerkat
ANYWAY, now that it's clear that Im still here, I would just like to tell you that I AM still working on the project. I have quite a big progress report for you guys. First of all, I would like to tell you that my CNS had a few bugs in it which i fixed, and... wait for it... *drum roll* I have finally added LOWER CASE!!!!!!! yay, that's 4 hrs work out of the way. now, Daegon I couldn't use your fomulas because I couldnt understand them.. I made up my own.. but they are similar to yours.. i think. it was based on level and I put in the FEROCITY thing i was tinkering with.. I now have two more maps, one is the intro, and the other is a test map. It will allow you to receive a pokemon, name it, re-name it if you wish, battle with other pokemon, heal your pokemon, gain levels and experience. I really went far with this.. Please do remember that I am still working on it, I just had to go for a while. Couldn't go on the net where i was. The test map is just for people who don't know how to do certain things like heal at a pokecenter, re-name pokemon, receive pokemon, and get into a battle. I have also completed the "RUN" choice in the battle, It will be a bit longer before completion because I haven't even done capture of a pokemon yet, And I need items for that. I was wondering if the CMS people were doing the pokemon selection and item maps, because I could easily adapt them for the battle.

In case anyone was wondering, I already know about those bugs someone pointed out before, I fixed them straight away. there was also a problem with the "run" option but i fixed it.

Also, Yes those graphics are authentic, I ripped them myself. for the battle background graphic, please nobody critise it. do you have any idea how hard it was to get that in .PNG format and still have the right colours??? i also had to manually re-size them to make them panorama. also there was a slight delay at the start of the battle, where you could see the black bit at the bottom of the panorama but the msg box hadn't shown up yet. it was only like a 0.3 second delay, but I'm picky and i fixed it. if there's anything that I have forgotten please tell me.

Umm.. i was wondering, for the battle, I have already ripped the graphics of the guy throwing the pokeball and done it and stuff.. but I have gone and used lots of FR/LG people in the test map, and buildings and stuff. but then I realised that the main character is still R/S so i was wondering, should I change his body to FR/LG and leave his hair, because that is the main distinction in the battle system. or would you guys like to stick with the old R/S graphics?

Also, Rm2k3kid, I used your message graphics in the game.. but I noticed that it is impossible to show a choice with those graphics. I managed to create my own little Yes/No textbox, but i just noticed that you dont have anywhere in your demo where you can select yes/no while someone is talking.

Anyway that's it for today I'm pretty sure. I have been away for 2 weeks I know but remember I said 3. there is no need to forget about me 1 week prematurely. I will be back at my other house in a week, this is the first chance I have had to use the internet. Why were you so quick to drop me DM? i never once got an email from any of you. I check my emails at school on a daily basis. I will be on later, I am a big part of this battle system so I don't know why you would leave me so early. (not trying to sound important or anything) but i have coded the main guts of the system so far. I never asked for any more credit than you guys. what have I done wrong? i have to go now, please don't forget about me, I will be on same time tomorrow.

I hope you get better daegon, best wishes simon

Pokemon Indigo League is a re-creation of the original Pokemon TV series in game form

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links