The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

View Poll Results: Do we like chilched fanfics?
Yes 1 10.00%
Yes but not too many 3 30.00%
Maybe the occasional one 3 30.00%
No 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Subomi Lover
<- lovely jubbly

One thing I hated about Serebii forums was the fact that they hated chiche fanfics
Spoiler:
cliche fanfics - fanfics about starting a pokemon adventure, similar to anime and games

i was wondering if it was the same here, cos i love reading and writing cliche fanfics and i hope others feel the same

Spoiler:

Misty: You've been a bad boy Subomi Lover
May: We've come to chain you up and spank you, you naughty boy!
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yami Rui
Awww {Tackle Glomps}

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Yami Rui
Majority of people who read and write fics have seen the anime or played the games and think Chliche fics are boring/they hate them for the plot is the same that it is in the anime/game. If someone writes a chliche fic most serious writers say "We've got the anime/game and this is a anime/game rip-off". And it's true actually.

WHAT'S RECOMMENDED: Still have the trainer trying to be a pokemon master/beat the evil organazation. But give the trainer a different past, put surprise romances, use your imagnaition to make your fic more orginal.

Parings
Pokemon: MichaelxMarcia
Kim Possible: KimxShego, RonxYori
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
It's "cliché", and "cliché fanfic" means "a fanfic full of clichés", not a fanfic about a Pokémon journey. I think the term you're looking for is "trainer fic".

That said, cliché fanfics are really just not likable in general, but there is nothing wrong with trainer fics that are not clichéd.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Subomi Lover
<- lovely jubbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Rui View Post
WHAT'S RECOMMENDED: Still have the trainer trying to be a pokemon master/beat the evil organazation. But give the trainer a different past, put surprise romances, use your imagnaition to make your fic more orginal.
well my fic is quite original - his goal isn't to be master of beat organisation BUT it is him going on journey across a region
he doensn't get his starter at begging - in fact he has been a trainer for four years already
so it's kinda like, 4 years after the cliche adventure began

(is that ok?)

Spoiler:

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Yami Rui
Awww {Tackle Glomps}

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Yami Rui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subomi Lover View Post
well my fic is quite original - his goal isn't to be master or beat the organization BUT it is him going on journey across a region
he doensn't get his starter at begginging - in fact he has been a trainer for four years already
so it's kinda like, 4 years after the cliche adventure began

(is that ok?)
Sorry but now your just going off-topic. If you wan't help on stuff like that, best to PM me.

P.S. work on your grammar.

Parings
Pokemon: MichaelxMarcia
Kim Possible: KimxShego, RonxYori
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Subomi Lover
<- lovely jubbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Rui View Post
Sorry but now your just going off-topic. If you wan't help on stuff like that, best to PM me.

P.S. work on your grammar.
i am good at grammer but only when writing seriously - on forums or quick reply i just type an dnt bother bout splling mistakes
(lol, put a few in on purpose that time)

Spoiler:

Old December 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM
SBaby
Pokemon Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subomi Lover View Post
One thing I hated about Serebii forums was the fact that they hated chiche fanfics
Spoiler:
cliche fanfics - fanfics about starting a pokemon adventure, similar to anime and games

i was wondering if it was the same here, cos i love reading and writing cliche fanfics and i hope others feel the same

Cliche, I love that word. It's so universal. It could be used when describing anything.

Sometimes instead of calling them cliches, I say, 'The Simpsons Did It'.

Anyway, one thing people tend to not realize when they claim that something is cliche is the fact that it is statistically impossible to write a good Fic without using at least a few cliches. The reason for this is because just about anything nowadays can be rightfully considered a cliche. Want proof? Here are but a few of the common, yet not-so-obvious examples found in Pokemon.

- Just waking up in Pokemon is cliche.

- Just about any name in the Pokemon Anime is cliche.

- Team Rocket, or ANY 'Team' is cliche.

- Catching Pokemon is cliche.

- Going to the eight Gyms is cliche.

- Legendary Pokemon are cliche.

- Evil mad scientists are cliche.

- The 'surprise twist' is cliche.

- A character dying is, you guessed it, cliche.

- A character coming back to life is cliche.

- And an often overlooked one. Any previously original idea instantly becomes a cliche the minute more than one person uses it.

The Simpsons Did It!

Most people will tell you that the last cliche isn't true, but it is. How do I know? Lord of the Rings, Icewind Dale, MewTwo, and Goku have proven that point to me.

Now, if I typed those up in less than a minute, off the top of my head, you KNOW there's many more. My point, finding a form of entertainment anywhere that isn't cliche is impossible. And anyone who tells you differently is just being foolish.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Pokemon, the Anime and games are so chock full of cliches that simply writing a Fic about Pokemon is already a cliche. If the people on Serebii are complaining about cliches in your Fic, then respond to one of their Pokemon fics by saying, 'A Pokemon Fic? That's so cliche...' (jk).

Anyway, I kind of lost the original point I was trying to make. Oh yeah.

If you're going to write a Fic, basically pretend that the word, 'cliche' never existed. It makes Fics more realistically easy to make. If someone comes on and tells you that your Fic is cliche, make a topic called 'How Not To Make A Cliche Fic' on the Forum. See if you can get a non-Cliche response (if the topic's closed, it's a cliche). It's been seven years, and I have yet to see one. Because all responses are cliche. Because it doesn't matter if someone thinks the story is cliche or not. Because 'cliche' is only what someone thinks it is. Because if criticism is only an opinion, then so is the word, 'cliche'.

Bottom Line: If you're gonna use cliches, use them. Trust me, if a Fic's good, nobody's gonna give two hoots about you using cliches. I'd rather see a good Fic full of cliches than a crappy one with no cliches.

Show me an RPG without cliches and I'll show you an unproduced game.

- Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

Last edited by SBaby; January 15th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links