The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Alana
I still love this world...

Ok, I have done something I've never done before. I've written something and now I don't know whether to let it stay as is and make it into a one-shot or continue it into a story. Although it could easily be longer, it's also perfectly fine as a one-shot. (In my opinion at least, sort of.) Due the fact that posting it would seem kind of silly, I'll just PM it to anyone who wants to lend me some advice. It's a sequel to Mystery Dungeon that's been bothering me for a while and when an idea like that starts nagging me I know it'll eventually be typed up. If I don't type it up it bothers me for ages before eventually fading away and then I regret not typing it up because I really want to. It's how most of my fics end up getting started. ;

So...yeah, got a bit off topic there I think. My request, someone please look over it and tell me if making it a one-shot would be ok or if it needs to be continued.

~Reopened~

Spoiler:
Thought you'd see something interesting here, didn't ya? :D

Finally Alyssa spoke again, her eyes locked on the ball in my hand. “That isn’t an ordinary Pokeball. We call it the Soul Ball. The Pokemon inside it is very special. It represents who and what you are at the very deepest level. It is essentially your soul in physical form.”

“My soul,” I whispered, awe struck. “So that’s what you meant by my ‘soul companion’.”
~Faye
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Eh, an essential part of style is avoiding redundant length. If you think you've got it compressed nicely enough to make a one-shot then by all means do so. =D If you change your mind later on and want to continue you can always make a chaptered fanfic that refers to (and briefly recounts the key points of) the one-shot and it will work just as well. I don't know what could be silly about posting it (The silly thing would be not to, really) but by all means, PM the fic to me and I'll see what I can do. That is, if my advice is good enough for ya'.

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old January 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM
SBaby
Pokemon Dungeon Master

It's really up to you, but as the old saying goes, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Don't artificially inflate your Fic if it works better as a one-shot.

BUT... Using that one-shot as a single idea for an even larger Fic sometimes works.

- Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

- Willie 'Jack' Degel
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links