The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Game Development Archive > Archive January 2006 to April 2008

Notices

Archive January 2006 to April 2008 Second archival of the Game Development forums. Contains locked threads from between January 2006 to April 2008, and threads between this period that have been inactive for the last 120 days (since 26th April 2008).

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
You've done alot of work with the CBS. It is great to hear how far you are with it Azura. CBS's are the longest part of making a pokemon game, so just take your time with it.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Great to hear you again, Azura. Good to hear you are working on the battle system. Itmight be tedious work, but it will be worthit in the end.

You know, text updates are just as good as screenshot ones.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Azura
Thanks guys... sometimes it's really frustrating to see Metro's thread abandoned after I make an update of any kind.

I found out that the best way to get some feedback is to actually show screenshots of what I'm working with... however, scripting the CBS provides much more technical stuff than graphical, making it impossible to keep updating with new screenshots everytime.

Well, what's going on now with Metro?

I've stopped the sentences thingy for now. It's implemented already, just need to add the return messages for each effect, what can be done later. Right after I press the "Post Quick Reply" button, I'll start scripting Item's screen (in Battle). Catching a POKéMON isn't far, as you can see, what makes me even closer to finishing this hell known as CBS.

And about new custom POKéMON?
(Heart hates the term "Fakemon" lol)

Heart is redrawing the look of the last evolution of grass starter. I can say it's agressively awesome. I say agressive because we had a conversation and we noticed that her Pokemons were a little too cute. After that, she's trying to redo some concepts and drawings and making them more agressive. She's doing really nice, and as soon as I find her online on msn, I'll ask her to show it to you guys.

She started to mess around with musics for the game too. Haven't heard them yet, but I know they're good :p

Well... I guess that's everything I had to say. Let me click the button... a world of scripting awaits me. Let's go!
(Terrible line, I know)

~Azura.

[ Game | Previews | Screenshots ]

Thread returning soon, don't worry!

Need help with something? Send me a PM!
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Can't wait to see the new "custom Pokémon." And you don't have to work on the battle system if you don't want to. Just do want you want.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:09 AM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

It's ok. I kindda love it... in a twisted way, of course.
hehehe

Well, I've been messing a little with the Daytime system. I remember that Heart asked me once if there was a way to make the windows glow at night, like if the lights were on. I never gave much importance to that, since it was too superficial and other systems needed to be done. However, today, I was browsing through some spriting sites and saw a few revamped GSC maps. I was amazed to see how the map looks different and full of life when the windows are "on" at night. So I decided to make that effect for Metro, and here's what I have so far:

(Basically done... just needs adjustment in the code)

Well, I'd like some coments on this. The colors will probably be changed (I'm no artist lol)

Hope you all like it

~Azura.

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
spike6958
Actor in Training

Nature: Brave
i like it, except it dosn't look right on the pokecenter door
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
WHALESDUDE
I am me.

Send a message via AIM to WHALESDUDE Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to WHALESDUDE
Wow! This game's going better than I expected! x__x I'll have to really crack down to compete with this

Um... and yeah, I'm here, ready to post/work again. I'm also studying Ruby, so I can make my own CBS... as much as I've read on hating it so much... o.o

Keep up the good work guys! I'm looking forward to playing this one day!
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:17 PM
The Dash
Hurr.

Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to The Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Dash
Nice one Azura, is there any way you could make the windows have a slight glowing effect aswell?

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

I'd have to think about that, Dash... I'm no artist, as I said before. If it is possible to make a semi-transparent color... then probably it's possible to make the glowing effect.

Thanks for your comment

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM
RMXPUser462
Just call me Ryan

Nature: Adamant
oh, so by agressive, you mean sexayyyy, right Azura?? :D

glad to hear that we will POSSIBLY get a peak at an awesome fakemon

I also like that day/night system, but like Dash said, can you try to get that glowing effect in?? If not, it still looks great the way it is

Pokemon Dark, come join us today!

Pokemon Dark is currently looking to hire...

Spriter(s)
Overworld Spriter(s)
Storyboard Editor(s)
Mapper(s)
Supporters!!

If you have any other talents, and would like to help out, just PM me!
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
The Dash
Hurr.

Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to The Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Dash
I'm pretty sure it's possible, I saw a script once on Rmxp.org that added lighting effects, it worked really well.

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:57 PM
PokeCreator_09
RM2K3 Professional

Send a message via AIM to PokeCreator_09 Send a message via Yahoo to PokeCreator_09
Okay, I like the way the windows are glowing, but I don't think the pokemon center door should be yellow. I think it should be ablue still,but light, or should I say bright.

Old March 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Like the new screenshots Azura. How did you get the lights to show up and not tint with the screen? Using pictures?

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:39 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

@RMXPUser462: I forgot to ask Heart if she finished the sprites for the new POKéMON...

@The Dash: hmm... yeah I guess so. Can you tell me the name of the script? I can look for it anyway. lol

@PokeCreator_09: the door is made of glass, so the light should pass trough it... I still think it's ok. I'll put just the windows for now and see how it looks like.

@Neo-Dragon: I've made an add-on for the Spriteset_Map script and added a new viewport, above the one that is tinted. So any event that contains "**" in the name will be put as a 'glow' object at night.

Last edited by ~Azura; March 19th, 2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Looks great Azura. I like how you did the windows and not just have it on a tint screen cycle. I think the center door looks fine, too.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

Thanks, it's just the layering I'm having problems with. Since I created a new 'layer' by scripts, and this layer is above the normal one (the one with the player and tileset), to avoid the tinting... well... the events that 'glow' are always above the hero. Sometimes this is not a problem, since the hero can't reach the windows in the wall. However, in doors like the Pokémon Center one, the event overlaps the hero, what can't happen. Still trying to fix that.

~Azura.

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
WHALESDUDE
I am me.

Send a message via AIM to WHALESDUDE Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to WHALESDUDE
Oh, do you mean glow as in the tiles around the house? You can just make separate grass tiles for that if you need to. Just whip out paint and do some Pixel work. I do it all the time.
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

I think they meant a little effect representing the light around the actual window. Won't be hard to do, I guess.

Anyway, I'm still into the "small detail" updates. This one is for the DP fans out there:

I've changed major stuff in the Daytime system, to allow it to be a little bit more like DP, so now POKéMON Metropolis has five day periods (instead of four from previous version). I've also changed all the screen tones.

* Morning

The tone is a little bit darker than normal, but you can see pretty much everything. I'd also like to point out the specific events that randomly happen sometimes, like this old lady saying you shouldn't be skipping class (LOL).

(the tone for this may change, as it isn't as dark as it should be)

* Daytime

Just the normal tinting, with everything visible.

* Afternoon

This is the preparation for the evening, with an nice orange color tone. I like the way it makes the sand paths more beautiful (? lol)

* Evening

This is basically the color you get between 6pm and 12am... the screen gets dark, but you can still see your way, and most of the buildings have their lights on (some are randomly off, to be closer to real [and to save some energy lol])

* Night

It's dark... waaay dark. You can't see in this screenshot, but the windows are now off, since people are supposed to be sleeping. The boy in the screenshot is another example of random events that appear on determined periods of day.

As you can see... it's very difficult to see anything at night... and some items or trainers that are easily seen in other periods become very hard to find, so be sure to have your eyes wide open while travelling at this period.

I guess that's it for today's updates.

Comments are always welcome...

~Azura.

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
WHALESDUDE
I am me.

Wow! That's awesome Azura! A question though, have you added that some pokemon should only be found at night? I'm pretty sure you have, but I'm just checking. Oh and don't forget that Male Pokemon Would hunt, and thus some might be awake, hunting for food for their families. Like Lions o.o
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

That looks even better, Azura. It will be also nice to see time-based events.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:14 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHALESDUDE View Post
Wow! That's awesome Azura! A question though, have you added that some pokemon should only be found at night? I'm pretty sure you have, but I'm just checking. Oh and don't forget that Male Pokemon Would hunt, and thus some might be awake, hunting for food for their families. Like Lions o.o
Yes, the "load enemies by daytime" thing is 100% done. I also made it possible to have different "rareness" levels for each daytime, so at night wild pokemon can be harder to find (sleeping purposes lol). However, some Pokemons will be active only at night, like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Patch
That looks even better, Azura. It will be also nice to see time-based events.
Yeah, but nothing really complex tho... I'm still experimenting days of the week, but it isn't ready.

Anyway, the Daytime system was the final issue on my "Simple Details" list. Time to head back to... Battle System.

*sleeps deeply*

Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:46 AM
spike6958
Actor in Training

Nature: Brave
this is looking great keep it up
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
~Azura
Alright, purple is good.

Thanks, we've new updates, this time concerning... SURF!

The second screenshot is, no doubt, one of the most beautiful I've ever taken... lol

Next on "Simple details II" list is:

Fishing, Fly and Escape Rope.

I've also setup the basis for Running Shoes and Bike, I just need the sprites for those two, so... expect news on it really soon.

Nothing much to say...
Bye bye everyone, keep commenting, feedback is always great

~Az... *sleeps*

Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Krobelus
RainbowNoodleWarrior

Nature: Adamant
Wow, I am really impressed on what you have done! Looks exceptionally well, and I hope you don't stop the music! Good luck, and love your screenshots. =D

YouTube Channel
Pokemon Pearl FC:
4296-8996-1956

Pokemon Heart Gold FC:
3009-0281-8050

Pokemon White 2 FC:
1765-0509-2291

Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Charizard EX
Charizard EX

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Charizard EX Send a message via Yahoo to Charizard EX
Is its demo released?, if it is, where would i download it??

If it's not released, I can't wait for it's release...

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here