The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:31 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura's Avatar
Hiroshi Sotomura
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Good day to you all. This is a simple questions thread, refreshed because the old one has pretty much gotten old and rotten. For a question that doesn't really need a thread because it'd only need an answer before it's dealt with, it all goes here!

Questions can be in the range of:
  • How do I insert or edit a sprite?
  • How do I change game text?

And, some housekeeping rules too.
  1. You cannot ask for ROMs.
    Just use Google or some P2P program for all your illegal needs.
  2. Do not ask the same questions over and over again.
    Instead, search the thread if it already has been answered and if not, just wait for someone to answer it! If you don't want to wait, just search the forum and try to find an answer yourself. Almost everything has been answered before.
  3. Search the archives for answers first.
    The archived Simple Questions thread has a complete collection of questions, most of them already answered. Please search there before posting a question.
  4. Do not demand for answers to your questions!
    People to not have to answer your questions, they do it because they want to! Not only are those posts annoying, they also are completely pointless! If such a post is found, it will probably be deleted.

Cheers!
Hiroshi Sotomura
Staff Administrator

Last edited by Hiroshi Sotomura; January 31st, 2007 at 06:37 AM.
  #2    
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:25 AM
Prof. 9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
1. What command do I have to use to make the Safari game end while I'm in the Safari Zone?
2. While I'm in the Safari Zone, do scripts and events still work? For example, can I make the player battle a trainer in the Safari Zone?
3. When I'm using a movement script to move the player, can I move him/her into for example a tree, or a rock, or any other tile that is made "Solid, not passable" or "1" in the Movement permissions view in Advance Map (sorry for the long sentence)?
  #3    
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:38 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. 9 View Post
1. What command do I have to use to make the Safari game end while I'm in the Safari Zone?
2. While I'm in the Safari Zone, do scripts and events still work? For example, can I make the player battle a trainer in the Safari Zone?
3. When I'm using a movement script to move the player, can I move him/her into for example a tree, or a rock, or any other tile that is made "Solid, not passable" or "1" in the Movement permissions view in Advance Map (sorry for the long sentence)?
1. All the commands for the steps and stuff is in the main script where you pay to get in the Safari Zone.

2. I think they work, since gettting into houses and talking to people doesn't end the script.

3. With the "applymovement" command you can move the player or sprite anywhere.
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #4    
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:06 AM
Colin's Avatar
Colin
TotW spriter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Must I tell you?
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I wonder if I was the trouble that closed the other thread...
Anyway, how do I make commands in scripted, 'cuz, thats the only commands thing I have...
For example, I want to make something where you battle Brendan with text before the battle.
How can I create trainer battles?
__________________
The members of my Team:Me(Head of team), ash2000(Mapper).

Check out http://shibuyah-kun.deviantart.com/ to see my latest sprite work.
  #5    
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I wonder if I was the trouble that closed the other thread...
Anyway, how do I make commands in scripted, 'cuz, thats the only commands thing I have...
For example, I want to make something where you battle Brendan with text before the battle.
How can I create trainer battles?
trainerbattle
trainerbattle bKind iBattle ptrIntro ptrDefeat
Starts a trainer battle.

bKind is 0x00 for normal battles, 0x04 for 2-on-2 and 0x05 for rematches
bKind is double/normal/gym, iBattle is the number of the trainer.
Ptr Intro/Defeat is for the text the person says when the battle starts and when you defeat him, just put an offset for the text

And for some Rubikon commands download the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: html commands.html‎ (18.6 KB, 719 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #6    
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Prof. 9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
How do I, for example, give the palette of Lapras's battle sprite to another Pokémon?
  #7    
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Colin's Avatar
Colin
TotW spriter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Must I tell you?
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Thanks but, I don't have Rubikon...
Anyway in the other thread you said to change tiles to kyledoves I should edit the pallet.
How do I do that?
__________________
The members of my Team:Me(Head of team), ash2000(Mapper).

Check out http://shibuyah-kun.deviantart.com/ to see my latest sprite work.
  #8    
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. 9 View Post
How do I, for example, give the palette of Lapras's battle sprite to another Pokémon?
In unLZ, find Lapras's sprite and copy the palette's number. Then go to the sprite you want, change the palette's number to the Lapras one and choose "Write to rom" and tick "Export palette" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Thanks but, I don't have Rubikon...
Anyway in the other thread you said to change tiles to kyledoves I should edit the pallet.
How do I do that?
Google for palette editing tutorials. And those Rubikon commands are for ScriptED.
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #9    
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
.-'Infernal Hylian'-.'s Avatar
.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
Elite Four
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maybe rivendell i have heard its nice there
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Lax
I went into the toolbox resource and tried to download the newest version of advanced map but it wont download... can someone tell me where to get it??
__________________
Pc Family.
Best Brother - Lumine - Evil Twin - Jimmyray

Last edited by .-'Infernal Hylian'-.; January 31st, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
  #10    
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hat?
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
OK don't know whether this has been answered or not but anyway...

I'm practising hacking pokemon gold and red to improve my skills but I lack knowledge of certain things... I'm using a hex editor mostly and all the other usual tools (map editors etc).I don't know if it's possible but does anybody know where there is any decent documents that explain pointers, scripts etc because I need to be able to make huge changes to my ROM - basically some good hex information.

Oh and also if anyone knows any tools/utlities/whatever that would be helpful too seeing as a lot of the ones i've found are german or spanish etc.
  #11    
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Blazichu's Avatar
Blazichu
Bahhhh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The ground?
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Blazichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-'Infernal Hylian'-.
I went into the toolbox resource and tried to download the newest version of advanced map but it wont download... can someone tell me where to get it??
Here is a newer version of AdvanceMap: http://www.4shared.com/file/9832772/...anceMap_1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Phantom
OK don't know whether this has been answered or not but anyway...

I'm practising hacking pokemon gold and red to improve my skills but I lack knowledge of certain things... I'm using a hex editor mostly and all the other usual tools (map editors etc).I don't know if it's possible but does anybody know where there is any decent documents that explain pointers, scripts etc because I need to be able to make huge changes to my ROM - basically some good hex information.

Oh and also if anyone knows any tools/utlities/whatever that would be helpful too seeing as a lot of the ones i've found are german or spanish etc.
There aren't many more documents to explain pointers and scripts anymore, but I found this document which should help for scripting or texting: http://www.4shared.com/file/8741394/...llpurpose.html

Lately I have been learning how to change pointers, but it still is kinda difficult in hex.

If you need anymore help just post here or PM me.
__________________

←(left) the online world for life(MSN, PC etc.)~

Last edited by Blazichu; January 31st, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
  #12    
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Colin's Avatar
Colin
TotW spriter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Must I tell you?
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
How do I change the music in game with Sappy?
I tried to import a Midi file, but, it ruined the song track altogether!
It said I needed to use MID2AGB to convert the Midi files to s files.
Does anyone know where I can get this "MID2AGB" file?
__________________
The members of my Team:Me(Head of team), ash2000(Mapper).

Check out http://shibuyah-kun.deviantart.com/ to see my latest sprite work.
  #13    
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Shiny Umbreon's Avatar
Shiny Umbreon
光るブラッキー
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Watching you from the shadows...
Age: 22
1. I'm hacking FR. I created Signpost events with Advance Map so they would be hidden items, but when I press A on them, you find 8 rather than 1. It's strange because hidden items that were already on the game work fine. Unless I'm wrong, the script for a hidden Potion is "$00000D"

2. Are there any tools for changing trainer's name, pokémon, etc. for FR?
  #14    
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura's Avatar
Hiroshi Sotomura
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Distribution of MID2GBA is illegal.
__________________
Hiroshi Sotomura

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
  #15    
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:28 AM
_-Davie-_'s Avatar
_-Davie-_
Hacker Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chester-le-street, Country Durham, United Kingdom
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to _-Davie-_
Hey There,

Note: I'm Hacking Pokemon Ruby

I think I'm starting to understand how to script and i've done a few successful events, which is all great and dandy but there's one thing thats been bothering me. I'd probably get better a lot quicker if i could read some script thats already in the game e.g. the guy who takes you to the pokemon mart in Oldale Town and gives you a potion. I was under the impression that when in EliteMap if you hold ctrl and click on a person their script will then pop up, however when I do so ScriptEd opens but there is nothing there, its just blank. Does anyone know why this is happening and if so, how to sort it out?

One other thing, like I said I'm getting alright at scripting however I just want to know, how do you find free space?

Thanks In Advance,
-Davie-
__________________

Last edited by _-Davie-_; February 1st, 2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Remembered something else I wanted to ask
  #16    
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:01 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Umbreon View Post
1. I'm hacking FR. I created Signpost events with Advance Map so they would be hidden items, but when I press A on them, you find 8 rather than 1. It's strange because hidden items that were already on the game work fine. Unless I'm wrong, the script for a hidden Potion is "$00000D"

2. Are there any tools for changing trainer's name, pokémon, etc. for FR?
1. When you use Adv. Map with FR all the hidden items you get will be 8 instead of 1. So you better use normal events with their movement set to "Hidden" but you won't be able to walk over it.

2. You can use PET, it comes with Elite Map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-Davie-_ View Post
Hey There,

Note: I'm Hacking Pokemon Ruby

I think I'm starting to understand how to script and i've done a few successful events, which is all great and dandy but there's one thing thats been bothering me. I'd probably get better a lot quicker if i could read some script thats already in the game e.g. the guy who takes you to the pokemon mart in Oldale Town and gives you a potion. I was under the impression that when in EliteMap if you hold ctrl and click on a person their script will then pop up, however when I do so ScriptEd opens but there is nothing there, its just blank. Does anyone know why this is happening and if so, how to sort it out?

Thanks In Advance,
-Davie-
Some scripts won't load with ScriptED. Mostly normal text script load. ScriptED can't load "big" scripts, I don't know why.
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #17    
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM
_-Davie-_'s Avatar
_-Davie-_
Hacker Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chester-le-street, Country Durham, United Kingdom
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to _-Davie-_
Hey,

Thanks Christos, your a real help. Could you tell me how you find free space aswell please?

Much Appreicated,
-Davie-
__________________
  #18    
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:47 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _-Davie-_ View Post
Hey,

Thanks Christos, your a real help. Could you tell me how you find free space aswell please?

Much Appreicated,
-Davie-
Just open your ROM in a hex editor and scroll down to where there's lots of "00"s. Select one and you'll see its offset. You can use all the offsets from there for your scripts.
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #19    
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM
Prof. 9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Just open your ROM in a hex editor and scroll down to where there's lots of "00"s. Select one and you'll see its offset. You can use all the offsets from there for your scripts.
Not only 00's. Lots of FF's mean free space too.
  #20    
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Colin's Avatar
Colin
TotW spriter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Must I tell you?
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Distribution of MID2GBA is illegal.
Then, is there another way to change music?
__________________
The members of my Team:Me(Head of team), ash2000(Mapper).

Check out http://shibuyah-kun.deviantart.com/ to see my latest sprite work.
  #21    
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
_-Davie-_'s Avatar
_-Davie-_
Hacker Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chester-le-street, Country Durham, United Kingdom
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to _-Davie-_
Hey,

Thanks Christos and Prof.9,

This is to do with scripting again I'm afraid (only started learning last night).

I'm fine with getting someone to say for example:

"Here have my Charizard." and then for you to recieve a charizard however if you keep talking to them you keep getting a charizard.

So I thought I'd try and make it so you get one and thats it which i presumed flags were necessary for. I've done some script but its not right somewhere and i was just hoping that someone would be able to explain what I need to add/change.

This is the script:

#org 0x800000
setflag 0x64
checkflag 0x64
compare LASTRESULT YES
if 1 0x800200
message 0x800100
boxset 0x2
clearflag 0x64
end
#org 0x800100
= Here, take my Charizard.
#org 0x800200
givepokemon 0x06 0x1E 0x118

any help appreiciated,
-Davie-
__________________
  #22    
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Christos's Avatar
Christos
Project Shinx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spain, Went's room
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _-Davie-_ View Post
Hey,

Thanks Christos and Prof.9,

This is to do with scripting again I'm afraid (only started learning last night).

I'm fine with getting someone to say for example:

"Here have my Charizard." and then for you to recieve a charizard however if you keep talking to them you keep getting a charizard.

So I thought I'd try and make it so you get one and thats it which i presumed flags were necessary for. I've done some script but its not right somewhere and i was just hoping that someone would be able to explain what I need to add/change.

This is the script:

#org 0x800000
setflag 0x64
checkflag 0x64
compare LASTRESULT YES
if 1 0x800200
message 0x800100
boxset 0x2
clearflag 0x64
end
#org 0x800100
= Here, take my Charizard.
#org 0x800200
givepokemon 0x06 0x1E 0x118

any help appreiciated,
-Davie-
The messages are at the end of the script, checklag is before the setflag so that the event won't be repeated. Check for the other corrections and try using it as a base for your future scripts, it'll be useful until you can do it all by yourself without mistakes.

Code:
#org 0x800000
checkflag 0x64
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 0x800200
setflag 0x64
givepokemon 0x06 0x1E 0x118
message 0x800100
boxset 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800200
message 0x800300
boxset 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800100
= Here, take my Charizard.

#org 0x800300
= How's that Charizard going?
__________________
Cooltrainer♂ wants to battle!
Breloom (Lv. 47) - Technician - (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed)
Zangoose (Lv. 49) - Toxic Boost - (Slash, Close Combat)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
  #23    
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM
_-Davie-_'s Avatar
_-Davie-_
Hacker Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chester-le-street, Country Durham, United Kingdom
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to _-Davie-_
Hey,
Thanks a load Christos your a real help.

Noteorry for posting without a question, its just thanks really was necessary

-Davie-
__________________
  #24    
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
_-Davie-_'s Avatar
_-Davie-_
Hacker Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chester-le-street, Country Durham, United Kingdom
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to _-Davie-_
Hey,

Sorry to bother you AGAIN Christos.
I would be using the script as a base that you gave me earlier:
Code:
#org 0x800000
checkflag 0x64
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 0x800200
setflag 0x64
givepokemon 0x06 0x1E 0x118
message 0x800100
boxset 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800200
message 0x800300
boxset 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800100
= Here, take my Charizard.

#org 0x800300
= How's that Charizard going?
However I'm afraid it doesnt work. The message "Here,take my Charizard" doesnt happen, however you do recieve a Charizard. That's the second problem though, I have One Torchic in my party when i go to activate the script and I end up filling my party with Charizard's and with one in Someones PC also. If I then go to put all those Charizards in Someones PC and go back to further activate the script the process repeats and I fill my party and have one more extra Charizard In Someone's PC. The Text "How's that Charizard going?" starts coming up after I've recieved the 6 Charizards and O recieve no more(Unless I Do as mentioned previously)

Once More - I'm sorry about all this,
Thanks,
-Davie-
__________________
  #25    
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
.-'Infernal Hylian'-.'s Avatar
.-'Infernal Hylian'-.
Elite Four
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maybe rivendell i have heard its nice there
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Lax
Hey Blazichu thanks dude that really helped!!
__________________
Pc Family.
Best Brother - Lumine - Evil Twin - Jimmyray
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.