The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:52 PM
YogiBerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
It's not a script, it's pure ASM coding. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to decompile ASM with XSE.
Ahhh, okay, thank you. I have a little experience with ASM, but what would writing a routine for such an item involve?
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
I need help with inserting new OW sprites. I followed part three of Darthatron's guide here, and did the process of adding new OWs (just one extra OW as a test), but when I start up my test rom, everything is fine until the end of the Nidoran/Gengar intro or I skip to the title screen, but then I get a black screen and nothing else.

What I did was:
1. Copied the original OW table from the location "0x0039FDB0" (604 bytes)
2. Used FSF to find an offset of free space containing 608 bytes.
3. Went to (or "goto" in the hex editor) said offset and pasted the original OW table (604 bytes) over the first 604 bytes of 608 bytes of free space. Replaced the last 4 bytes with the pointer to the new OW sprite data.
4. Used FSF to find 36 bytes of free space, enough to add sprite data for the new OW.
5. Went to said offset and replaced the 36 bytes of free space with the sprite data for the first hero OW sprite.
6. Went to the pointer for the original OW table and and changed it to the pointer for the new 608 bytes of OW pointers.
Did you find the tutorial I worked on with Darth? You're missing several steps to allow the game to use those OWs as there are limiter bytes. Mine is called Advanced Over World Editing: Part 2.

Paired with Simba
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I'm pretty sure it is attached to the name of the map. However, try scrolling through all of UnLz on 256 color mode like taja... I mean Shadowraze:p suggested.

1) Map Script on the opening map.

2) Here, I think this is how it works:

Map Script-

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @Start
loadpointer 0x{table}
Setvar 0x8006 0x0
setvar 0x8005 0x{see explanation}
special 0x58
end

Table:

See his documentation for how the table is set up.

Var 0x8005-> the first 4 bits tell what data this is:

Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing.
The second byte, I don't know. It says it is used to determine level, but that is in the table.

3) I think I know what you mean, but I'm not completely sure. Could you elaborate more on exactly what you want to happen?
1) Thanks.

2) Thanks again.

3) It has random weather BUT for example it rains, it will rain for about 30 mins. After 30 mins. It will choose another random weather which will again, last for 30 mins. and so on. I think they used the timer specials for that.
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
1) Thanks.

2) Thanks again.

3) It has random weather BUT for example it rains, it will rain for about 30 mins. After 30 mins. It will choose another random weather which will again, last for 30 mins. and so on. I think they used the timer specials for that.
Ahh, okay. Well, you would use a walking script as far as I know. Then, use the timers where it will start the timer and set a flag. Then the next time it comes through, skip the special to start the timer (check the flag) and check the timer using that special and a compare command. If it has reached a certain point, if jumps to a random weather script and resets the var and timer, if not, the script ends.

Paired with Simba
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Did you find the tutorial I worked on with Darth? You're missing several steps to allow the game to use those OWs as there are limiter bytes. Mine is called Advanced Over World Editing: Part 2.
Okay, I read through the tutorial but the game is still black-screening even after I changed the limiter offset. Are you sure I didn't do anything wrong when I added the new sprite-data pointer table, repointed it, and etc? I can send you an IPS patch of the modified test rom, if you like to look at what I did.

I like a little more help, just to make sure I'm doing things right.

The limiter for OW sprites in FireRed (US) is 0x5F2CE, right?
The actual value of it is EF...I think? EF is hex for 239, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Am I reading the offset incorrectly? Is it two bytes or it is supposed to be six bytes? Not a pointer, since a pointer is eight bytes. Is it supposed to be EF (239)? I thought it would be 96, which is hexadecimal for 150.
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:49 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is attached to the name of the map. However, try scrolling through all of UnLz on 256 color mode like taja... I mean Shadowraze:p suggested.
Yeah I looked at the R&D for map headers and found nothing. I ran a deep scan and didn't find anything in 256 mode either. I could have missed it, but I have decided to use forests in the forest maps and make do with that, or just use them as routes with no warps into them.

Thanks anyway :D
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Yeah I looked at the R&D for map headers and found nothing. I ran a deep scan and didn't find anything in 256 mode either. I could have missed it, but I have decided to use forests in the forest maps and make do with that, or just use them as routes with no warps into them.

Thanks anyway :D
I just found them again I'll give you the UNLZ numbers just give me some time. :3 I'll edit this post. :3

Not sure of some of this and there might be probably be more so be sure to check it out. :3

262 - Some kind of cave Mt.Moon?
266 - Rocket Hideout?
268 - Cinabbar Mansion
270 - Lavander Tower?
272 - Cerulean Cave?
274 - Rock Tunnel?
276 - Seafoam Islands?
280 - Victory Road
282 - A cave? :/
284 - Safari Zone
290 - Digglet Cave
296 - Viridian Forest?

Apparentyl they're not in 256 color mode but in 16. Also I remembered Dr.Fuji replaced those in Lilac so maybe ask him if you're still confused. :3

Last edited by Shadowraze; May 17th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraze View Post
I just found them again I'll give you the UNLZ numbers just give me some time. :3 I'll edit this post. :3

Not sure of some of this and there might be probably be more so be sure to check it out. :3

262 - Some kind of cave Mt.Moon?
266 - Rocket Hideout?
268 - Cinabbar Mansion
270 - Lavander Tower?
272 - Cerulean Cave?
274 - Rock Tunnel?
276 - Seafoam Islands?
280 - Victory Road
282 - A cave? :/
284 - Safari Zone
290 - Digglet Cave
296 - Viridian Forest?

Apparentyl they're not in 256 color mode but in 16. Also I remembered Dr.Fuji replaced those in Lilac so maybe ask him if you're still confused. :3

Thanks heaps Shadowraze. Sorry for a late reply, I had to use a clean ROM because my numbers were different (at 1000) but I followed the offsets so THANKS!

Also now I have these how will I know if these images have raw data? If that's the right word? Generally the next image that follows? Or do I just replace the image and just go from there?
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Thanks heaps Shadowraze. Sorry for a late reply, I had to use a clean ROM because my numbers were different (at 1000) but I followed the offsets so THANKS!

Also now I have these how will I know if these images have raw data? If that's the right word? Generally the next image that follows? Or do I just replace the image and just go from there?
Yes just replace the very next image for the raw.

And if you're not really sure what the image is export the tileset and then export the raw along with it and open it in NTME or Darth TME. :3
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:08 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
Okay, I read through the tutorial but the game is still black-screening even after I changed the limiter offset. Are you sure I didn't do anything wrong when I added the new sprite-data pointer table, repointed it, and etc? I can send you an IPS patch of the modified test rom, if you like to look at what I did.

I like a little more help, just to make sure I'm doing things right.

The limiter for OW sprites in FireRed (US) is 0x5F2CE, right?
The actual value of it is EF...I think? EF is hex for 239, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Am I reading the offset incorrectly? Is it two bytes or it is supposed to be six bytes? Not a pointer, since a pointer is eight bytes. Is it supposed to be EF (239)? I thought it would be 96, which is hexadecimal for 150.
By the fact that it goes black right as the game starts means it can't load the player's OW, so yeah, that is a problem. Probably a bad repoint or something.

The offset is wrong in my tutorial. I had to make another bunch of changes to it due to problems with dynamic OWs and when cleaning up, I screwed up that offset. The right offset is 5F2E0. It should 97 because there are 151 OWs. (people always forget the SS Anne, and in my quote of Darth's tutorial I fixed that.)

Now, the max you can change this limiter to is 239 unless you either are completely deleting everything from the original FR or you follow the later step on the page which is Dealing With Dynamic OWs for FireRed. If you read that section, you will understand.

Paired with Simba
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:00 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Uhm... I didn't quite understand "what you meant by get go thing in A-Map" ' Anyway, I don't think there is a Mew event in Fire Red... So you'll have to make your own. It's just a regular script... Just copy one of the legendaries script and change stuff like the flag(s), the pokemon cry, ... etc.
Using Mewtwo as a basis, I've replaced every hex value of 96 (Mewtwo) by 97 (Mew):

Spoiler:
'-----------------------
#org 0x1624F5
special 0x187
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if 0x1 goto 0x81A7AE0
special 0x188
lock
faceplayer
checksound
cry 0x97 0x2
msgbox2 0x8177F9F '"Mew!"
waitmsgbox
waitcry
pause 0x14
playsong 0x156 0x0
waitkeypress
startwildbattle 0x97 0x32 0x0
setflag 0x807
special 0x138
waitstate
clearflag 0x807
special2 LASTRESULT 0xB4
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x8162558
compare LASTRESULT 0x4
if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
compare LASTRESULT 0x5
if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
setflag 0x2BC
release
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x1A7AE0
release
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x162558
setflag 0x2BC
goto 0x81A922D
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x162561
setvar 0x8004 0x97
goto 0x81A9236
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x1A922D
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite LASTTALKED
fadescreen 0x0
release
end

'-----------------------
#org 0x1A9236
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite LASTTALKED
fadescreen 0x0
bufferpokemon 0x0 0x8004
msgbox 0x81A63C4 '"The [buffer1] flew away!"
callstd 0x4
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x177F9F
= Mew!

#org 0x1A63C4
= The [buffer1] flew away!

What else do I need to change?

Quote:
I've not done real scripting for months but I think you should use a flag between 0x200 and 0x2FF inclusive, those are safe, iirc.
What are those for and where would I put them? I'm still a newbie as far as scripting/hex editing goes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LusoTrainer; May 18th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:51 AM
robin22gongon

How do I make more OWs? I'm using JPAN's engine and I don't understand a bit of his explanation. And karatekid552 and Darth's tut I believe doesn't cover the Advanced OW Editing.
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
@robin22gongon, did you try Metapod23's tutorial? Here is the link to his tutorial: @LusoTrainer, I can't help you too much with that, I see that the script calls 3 different Specials, I have no idea what those are specifically for. And the script is editing 2 flags... Well, flags are bits in the memory that have either the value 0 or 1, they are usually used to prevent a script from happening twice. Anyway, I advice you to get a good scripting tutorial and make your own scripts, that way you'll know what you're doing better. dieigoisawesome has the best scripting tutorial imo, here is a link to his thread:
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
@robin22gongon, did you try Metapod23's tutorial? Here is the link to his tutorial:
Thanks for the link! I appreciate it!
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
zork787

ok, so I've been doing some sprite replacing in Fire Red, but I've hit a snag, whenever I change the offset of Kakunas colour pallete, it causes the rom to white screen when you boot it up and I have no idea what to do, the offset is D38CE8 if that means anything to anyone.

Also when i attempt to edit Kakuna's shiny pallete, I get a "An attepmt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file." error and I forgot to mention I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor Classic.

Last edited by zork787; May 18th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Location: UnderwaterSapphire in Hoenn 100 years in the future
I thought I saw an elevator-making tutorial here somewhere, but I can't find it. :/ So, how can I create elevators in Ruby and Sapphire without having to recycle Lilycove's?

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork787 View Post
ok, so I've been doing some sprite replacing in Fire Red, but I've hit a snag, whenever I change the offset of Kakunas colour pallete, it causes the rom to white screen when you boot it up and I have no idea what to do, the offset is D38CE8 if that means anything to anyone.

Also when i attempt to edit Kakuna's shiny pallete, I get a "An attepmt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file." error and I forgot to mention I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor Classic.
Bro, I feel for you. Just use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor. Use the Search Bar. I think they're still distributed in a pack which includes: Advanced Sprite Editor, Advanced Sprite Position Editor, and Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor. BUT when using Wichu's Sprite Editor, picture's gotta be in this format:
DO NOT STEAL!!!!!
UNINDEXED. So if you don't see the picture above, it is in this format: Normal Front Shiny Front Normal Back Shiny Back Unindexed Resolution: 256x64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
I thought I saw an elevator-making tutorial here somewhere, but I can't find it. :/ So, how can I create elevators in Ruby and Sapphire without having to recycle Lilycove's?
Have you tried recycling Lilycove's first then studying how it works?
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Bro, I feel for you. Just use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor. Use the Search Bar. I think they're still distributed in a pack which includes: Advanced Sprite Editor, Advanced Sprite Position Editor, and Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor. BUT when using Wichu's Sprite Editor, picture's gotta be in this format:
DO NOT STEAL!!!!!
UNINDEXED. So if you don't see the picture above, it is in this format: Normal Front Shiny Front Normal Back Shiny Back Unindexed Resolution: 256x64.
Actually, it doesn't have to be in that format. It can be each indexed image by itself imported separately. The format you show is the easiest as it will do all of them at once, but not the only one, especially if, for some reason, you require a specific palette and order of colors for it to work. Wichu's will put the background color first and then randomize the rest on an unindexed image, but if the image has more than one purpose, you may want a specific order for your palette, so you can import the indexed images one by one.

Paired with Simba
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't have to be in that format. It can be each indexed image by itself imported separately. The format you show is the easiest as it will do all of them at once, but not the only one, especially if, for some reason, you require a specific palette and order of colors for it to work. Wichu's will put the background color first and then randomize the rest on an unindexed image, but if the image has more than one purpose, you may want a specific order for your palette, so you can import the indexed images one by one.
Yeah, well I didn't know I can import them one by one. And of course it's great if you give him the easiest way because that's the PATH TO LEARNING 0
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Yeah, well I didn't know I can import them one by one. And of course it's great if you give him the easiest way because that's the PATH TO LEARNING 0
But if you give him choices and he learns both, he has twice the learning and knowledge:p. There is always another way, and the more ways you know, the more choices you have if one isn't working or you need to do it slightly differently.

Paired with Simba
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Out of curiosity how many people visit this site to play hacks? Are there stats somewhere?

Also are there boundaries for movesprite? I mean say I have a 20x100 map and the hero is located at say (0,0) and an overworld is located at (20,100) for some reason I can't apply the movesprite fuction on him... it only works on sprites that are within the VBA screen (about 15x11).

However I have no problem doing vice versa. Am I doing something clearly wrong?
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
No, but movesprite hidesprite and showsprite only work in level scripts, so otherwise there is no way

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
No, but movesprite hidesprite and showsprite only work in level scripts, so otherwise there is no way
Are you 100% sure? Because this script works perfectly on a script tile ONLY when sprite 0xA is visible on screen.

#org 0x803EF9
lock
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8803DFA
applymovement 0x8 0x8803DFD
msgbox 0x8803D90 MSG_NORMAL '"[green_fr]What do you want?\pIf yo..."
trainerbattle 0x3 0x17B 0x0 0x8803DD4
msgbox 0x8803CFC MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[green_fr]Yeah TEAM ROCKET was bro..."
closeonkeypress
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x3
hidesprite 0x6
hidesprite 0x8
fadescreen 0x0
movesprite 0xA 0x13 0x4
applymovement 0xA 0x8803EEB
waitmovement 0x0
pause 0x20
applymovement 0xA 0x8803E0E
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8803C9B MSG_NORMAL '"[green_fr]KURT: Way to go [player]..."
warp 0x0 0x12 0xFF 0x5 0x5
setflag 0x208
setvar 0x4028 0x3
release
end
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Aemirch
Hobbler

Send a message via Skype™ to Aemirch
^ You just gave the answer to yourself. Show the sprite, move it, then hide it again. Nothing to do with level scripts.
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemirch View Post
^ You just gave the answer to yourself. Show the sprite, move it, then hide it again. Nothing to do with level scripts.
I am aware, but the first question is why does the sprite have to be visible on the screen to move? Not a hidesprite but actually contained within the VBA grid. If the sprite isn't located in there I can't apply any applymovements, movesprites or showsprties.

It could be maybe the overworlds aren't loaded onto outside the grid which is why the script doesn't work?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links