Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2013 (08:15 PM).

Hey guys, I've been having some problems with advance map for fire red. Lately when I click on maps it says report out of memory and freezes. What does that mean exactly? Does anyone know?
Old June 1st, 2013 (08:34 PM).
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by SpadeEdge16:
Hey guys, I've been having some problems with advance map for fire red. Lately when I click on maps it says report out of memory and freezes. What does that mean exactly? Does anyone know?
What version of Advance Map are you using?
Old June 1st, 2013 (08:52 PM).
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote originally posted by kablam:
My question is does there exist a type of script that would replace one map with another. For example, if a natural disaster were to happen to a certain town or an invasion or something else of that sort, would it be possible to have a flag or something control map replacement? Also if that were possible, does anyone know if there are any tutorials/guides that include that or if there are any existing scripts in games that do a similar thing that I could decompile to look at.
Yes... I think.

Have the two maps made (separately and inserted somewhere) . Now go to the map you want to change after an event, navigate to the header tab, and press ctrl+H. Now you can see the map data.

Look at the map offset. Mine is 71C04C. Now look at the map footer. There are all these bytes and in the middle of the string is your offset in reverse hex. 4C C0 71 08. That's the pointer for your map.... Now if you replaced this with your new maps pointer in reverse hex, ideally this should work.

The command to set bytes in a script is 'writebytetooffset'. I haven't dealt with it yet but I assume it works. You will need to write 3 new bytes.

Also if it isn't a town or something with connections, a script can warp to separate maps with variables and flags set.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:23 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by robin22gongon:
New Questions!

1) Is it possible to make a giveitem event but not have it show a message?
Just use "additem". This is exactly what that scripting command is for!

Code:
additem ITEM_ID NUMBER_OF_ITEMS
Simples! Also, FYI, giveitem is like msgbox in scripting. It's not actually a command, but a combination of commands which achieves the given effect.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (04:59 AM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by kearnseyboy6:
Yes... I think.

Have the two maps made (separately and inserted somewhere) . Now go to the map you want to change after an event, navigate to the header tab, and press ctrl+H. Now you can see the map data.

Look at the map offset. Mine is 71C04C. Now look at the map footer. There are all these bytes and in the middle of the string is your offset in reverse hex. 4C C0 71 08. That's the pointer for your map.... Now if you replaced this with your new maps pointer in reverse hex, ideally this should work.

The command to set bytes in a script is 'writebytetooffset'. I haven't dealt with it yet but I assume it works. You will need to write 3 new bytes.

Also if it isn't a town or something with connections, a script can warp to separate maps with variables and flags set.
You can't do this because writebytetooffset only works on the RAM. What you are editing is the ROM (read only memeory- Read Only.) You can do this however with a massive setmaptile script if both of the sets of tiles are on the same map.

Paired with Simba
Old June 2nd, 2013 (05:15 AM).
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
You can't do this because writebytetooffset only works on the RAM. What you are editing is the ROM (read only memeory- Read Only.) You can do this however with a massive setmaptile script if both of the sets of tiles are on the same map.
Dam, I really thought I was on to something... So are there any way commands to touch Read Only Memory? If not I guess that's why its read only ...
Old June 2nd, 2013 (08:38 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
No, the rom is only READ so you can't write to unless you are hacking, hello

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old June 2nd, 2013 (08:43 AM).

Set map tile script doesn't affect the people/events on the map, however, correct?
Old June 2nd, 2013 (08:52 AM).
Gold Tier

Correct, so you can use movesprite, hidesprite, showsprite, applymovement whatever.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:02 AM).

I am making a hack, and when I try picking up item balls (any, like the ones in Viridian Forest) it makes the sound of picking up the item, but no message comes up and I do not recieve an item. The poke ball stays there as if nothing happened.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:04 AM).
Gold Tier

You need to set a flag so the event doesn't happen twice. Then in advance map in person id put the flag number so the game hides the pokeball. And voila! The pokeball disappears.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:13 AM).

Quote originally posted by PJBottomz:
What version of Advance Map are you using?
I believe it's 1.95. Is there a newer one out that may be less buggy?
Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:18 AM).
Gold Tier

No.1.95 is the newest. Check the version of your ROM. It only supports version 1.0 of FR and LG.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:29 AM).
Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
Does anyone know how to change the graphics of the weather in the Overworld, Like changing rain into hail?

Always keep an open mind!
Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:35 AM).
Gold Tier

Go into VBA and look for the image in the oam viewer tool.
It says an offset like 0x07000000
in the memory viewer go there. Search for those bytes in a hex editor and if theres a match, theres your image. Then in NSE go to the offset of it in your rom and you can bookmark it. If you dont find it in a hex editor, then its LZ-77 compressed, and you need unlz gba.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:55 AM).
Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
you need unlz gba.
Where would I find the weather in unlz thats all I need And I will be set and thanks for the Info?

Always keep an open mind!
Old June 2nd, 2013 (10:04 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
Gold Tier

Well it would be hard since its a small image so try searching withthe grayscale option so it's easier to find.

Ok, how would I make a song play from the songtable in ASM?

Are animated sprites like in BW possible? That could be the next community project.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:07 PM).

No.1.95 is the newest. Check the version of your ROM. It only supports version 1.0 of FR and LG.
well i use the JPAN hack engine of FR, does that have any effect on the mapping process? because ive constantly had problems with advanced map while hacking which has made me have to start over. like this time around all ive done is block edit and map edit, and it still messes up somehow.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:18 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by SpadeEdge16:
well i use the JPAN hack engine of FR, does that have any effect on the mapping process? because ive constantly had problems with advanced map while hacking which has made me have to start over. like this time around all ive done is block edit and map edit, and it still messes up somehow.
That is because 1.95 is buggy as hell. It was a pre-release unfinished beta version.

Paired with Simba
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:50 PM).

That is because 1.95 is buggy as hell. It was a pre-release unfinished beta version.
is there anything less buggy? :/
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:58 PM).

Hello, I have a problem installing advance map/pokescript

I didn't have any problem getting to compile scripts on my old laptop, but my new one (Windows 7) won't allow me to compile scripts, I know my main problem is that when I install Advance map, it won't allow me to chose a file save destination, it simply asks me which language I would like, and opens Advance map without letting me put it with pokewitch :/

Would anyone be able to help with this?
Thank you.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (02:21 PM).
Gold Tier

Go to settings then choose script editor.
But you should really use XSE.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (02:58 PM).
Stuck inside a Net Ball

Nature: Calm
Hi all, I'm new (to this site and to hacking/scripting).
I've made a basic msgbox script, using a YouTube tutorial, and also diegoisawesome's tutorial. I've followed everything to the absolute letter.

When I put the offset into Advance Map (v1.95), save the rom and test it, it doesn't work.
All that happens is the npc looks at the player.

I've looked everywhere for a solution. Any help would be great.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (03:01 PM).

Go to settings then choose script editor.
But you should really use XSE.
I did that but it still doesn't want to let me compile, :/ also, when I try to open a game on Advance map, it tells me Access denied.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (03:05 PM).
Gold Tier

You probably don't have administrative rights.

@jumminy jam
use xse from gamer2020's toolbox then do it. It's the newest version

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)