Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 18th, 2013 (03:41 AM).
Eddie666
Unhatched Egg

Hi, I'm having a problem in Ash Grey where im stuck in the room under new island. I know i should have asked inte the official Ash Grey thread, but it's closed. I you search for ''Pokémon Ash Gray Bug, help?'' on youtube, you will find a video showing the bug.

Anyone here familiar with it?
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:43 AM).
bobyd
Unhatched Egg

Hey, are there any Hacked ROMS that allow trading with original non-hacked games?
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:58 AM).
nekotina

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
First of all, switch to XSE or PKSV. We don't serve the 2006 pokescript here. It is outdated, far outdated, and we will not correct your scripts because nobody knows the proper syntax anymore (well, no seriously accomplished hackers anyways).

Now, how to do it. Simple, set a flag early in the game before encountering that sprite (the players room is a good place to do so) and the assign that flag to the Person ID of the sprite in A-Map. Then, in the script that you want him to appear, simply clear the flag and use the showsprite command to show the sprite and make him do as you wish.
Okay so I'm trying to script with XSE as you recommended, but I'm having a problem.. when I try to compile the script this error shows up "Error 75 'Path/File access error' on line 4, line: lock"
Could anyone tell me how to fix that?

My script:
#dynamic 0x2DD100

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @text 0x6
release
end

#org @text
= Hello my name is Kaine
Old June 18th, 2013 (06:16 AM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by bobyd:
Hey, are there any Hacked ROMS that allow trading with original non-hacked games?
Most hacked games can trade with other games. The only issue is that if the pokemon have been changed or modded, they will return to the original when traded.

Paired with Simba
Old June 18th, 2013 (06:21 AM).
bobyd
Unhatched Egg

Most hacked games can trade with other games. The only issue is that if the pokemon have been changed or modded, they will return to the original when traded.
Would you mind telling a few? I have to be honest, I'm new to this. Just tried Light Platinum, but the Pokecenter doesnt have a 2 floor . Was that becasue it was the first one I encountered or is it always the same?
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:36 AM).
LuisPro

Hello

Is there any pokemon game (gba) without IV/EV system or only without IV system?

Greetings.
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:12 AM).
Sky93

So, you're saying that the palette for the hero and heroine is the same, and when you change one, it changes both, even though they are the same number? Or are you saying that they have the same palette but different numbers? If it is the latter, why does it matter? It is okay to have two of the same palettes. I'm just kind of confused on what you are saying.
Sorry for being so confusing! The palette for the hero is 0x00 and the palette for the heroine is 0x10 (using NSE atleast. I think its 00 and 69 in OWE:RE). They are the same palette by default just saved in two slots I think. But when I try to overwrite the heroine palette with my custom palette, it also changes the hero palette in the other slot (which is not what I want). If this still isn't clear, I can upload a video because it's way easier to see, but sort of difficult to explain whats going on haha

ROMs I Support:
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:34 AM).
Sagiri

Can someone explain to me what a "function" is in IDA Pro?

Sometimes, when I disassemble code, rather than being marked as code (or 'c' in the name tab) it is marked as a function (or 'f' in the name tab).

As far as I can tell, the only difference this makes is that any names I give to offsets within it do not show up in the name tab (they are gray and work correctly) and can't be searched for unless you're already somewhere in that function. It also allows you to use "graph" mode by using space bar.

But - what is the point? What determines whether it decides if it is code or function?
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:46 AM).
Randomlords

Does anybody know where to find this Pokenav image in unlz? I couldn't find it in the unlz offset list on this site.
Attached Images
File Type: png PokenavImage.png‎ (53.0 KB, 5 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:01 AM).
reshilegend
Understand Understand

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by LuisPro:
Hello

Is there any pokemon game (gba) without IV/EV system or only without IV system?

Greetings.
I don't think so because that would require a big change of the game engine. In rom hacks EVs and IVs don't really matter though since there isn't anything like a multiplayer mode where you need perfect IVs etc. for a good team.

hi
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:07 AM).
Rebounder86
Unhatched Egg

Can anyone recommend a tutorial for replacing pokemon sprites along with their backsprites.
I wish I could show what I've done, unfortunately I need 15 posts to do so.
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by reshilegend:
I don't think so because that would require a big change of the game engine. In rom hacks EVs and IVs don't really matter though since there isn't anything like a multiplayer mode where you need perfect IVs etc. for a good team.
Or you could also negate the effects by simply setting all IVs and EVs in YAPE to either max or 0.

Paired with Simba
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Randomlords:
Does anybody know where to find this Pokenav image in unlz? I couldn't find it in the unlz offset list on this site.
I know this is tedious, but check if you have the right pallet, since that can affect "recognizability" somewhat and you may have missed it.

Old June 18th, 2013 (09:08 AM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Would you mind telling a few? I have to be honest, I'm new to this. Just tried Light Platinum, but the Pokecenter doesnt have a 2 floor . Was that becasue it was the first one I encountered or is it always the same?
I honestly don't play too many hacks, but I think Flora Sky, Derpizard, Ultra Violet, and Snakewood still have the second floor. There are probably more.

Quote originally posted by Rebounder86:
Can anyone recommend a tutorial for replacing pokemon sprites along with their backsprites.
I wish I could show what I've done, unfortunately I need 15 posts to do so.
Use Wichu's Advanced Sprite editors. They are pretty self-explanatory.

Quote originally posted by Sky93:
Sorry for being so confusing! The palette for the hero is 0x00 and the palette for the heroine is 0x10 (using NSE atleast. I think its 00 and 69 in OWE:RE). They are the same palette by default just saved in two slots I think. But when I try to overwrite the heroine palette with my custom palette, it also changes the hero palette in the other slot (which is not what I want). If this still isn't clear, I can upload a video because it's way easier to see, but sort of difficult to explain whats going on haha
Oh, okay. I understand. What you need to do is repoint the palette before changing it. You will have to go to the OW palette table and take the first pointer and follow it. Copy the first 32 bytes when you get there into some free space and then change the first pointer in the table to amtch the new location. Then it should work fine. You can find the palette table offset in the ini for OWERE.

Quote originally posted by Midnight Bear:
Can someone explain to me what a "function" is in IDA Pro?

Sometimes, when I disassemble code, rather than being marked as code (or 'c' in the name tab) it is marked as a function (or 'f' in the name tab).

As far as I can tell, the only difference this makes is that any names I give to offsets within it do not show up in the name tab (they are gray and work correctly) and can't be searched for unless you're already somewhere in that function. It also allows you to use "graph" mode by using space bar.

But - what is the point? What determines whether it decides if it is code or function?
I believe a function is called by another code earlier on while code is just set aside. I don't know exactly, as I never paid attention to that part. My best bet is that it is determined by where the code branches.

Paired with Simba
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:18 AM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by Sagiri.
Sagiri

Would you mind telling a few? I have to be honest, I'm new to this. Just tried Light Platinum, but the Pokecenter doesnt have a 2 floor :(. Was that becasue it was the first one I encountered or is it always the same?
Very few hacks remove the second floor. If it exists, feel free to trade between different hacks or between a hack and a vanilla FR.

However, remember that if they've added Pokemon that weren't in FR, it may just crash your FR. I would also advise against trading over any custom items. Also, if they've added moves or something, that could also cause issues.

I believe a function is called by another code earlier on while code is just set aside. I don't know exactly, as I never paid attention to that part. My best bet is that it is determined by where the code branches.
Thanks, I figured it was something like that.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, "functions" all end with the command bx. So, it is exactly what you said.
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:26 AM).
Rebounder86
Unhatched Egg

Use Wichu's Advanced Sprite editors. They are pretty self-explanatory.

I tried that and didn't manage to get pass "Write to ROM".

Here's what I did using APSE,
- I used the same indexed image for both normal and shiny.
- got the error below

Spoiler:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4234 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Patrick/Desktop/Advanced%20Series/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4235 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4236 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Running on Window VISTA, replacing sprites on a hacked Pokemon Emerald*.

*I've tried with a clean Pokemon Emerald and still get that error.

with unLZ-GBA,
- I manage to get the Front to show with no problems, 100%.
But the back part has some color issue.
- The shiny colors are totally messed up.
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:26 AM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by Randomlords:
The best way to find images like these is to set up VBA-M to log all calls to SWI. Then, open the Nav. Go back to the log list and look through it for all lines that say LZ77 decompression. The offsets listed after are images which have been decompressed. Goto all of those offsets and you should find one of them to be the nav.

Quote originally posted by Rebounder86:
I tried that and didn't manage to get pass "Write to ROM".

Here's what I did using APSE,
- I used the same indexed image for both normal and shiny.
- got the error below

Spoiler:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application
will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4234 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Patrick/Desktop/Advanced%20Series/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4236 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Running on Window VISTA, replacing sprites on a hacked Pokemon Emerald*.

*I've tried with a clean Pokemon Emerald and still get that error.

with unLZ-GBA,
- I manage to get the Front to show with no problems, 100%.
But the back part has some color issue.
- The shiny colors are totally messed up.
Shiny palettes need to be done by locating the palette in the table (find it in an ini file) and then editing it in APE.

Paired with Simba
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:31 AM).
UltimaCircuit

I am currently making a few beginning town maps, but I keep on having this problem in Advance Map 1.95. The issue is that whenever I save a map file on my Pokemon Emerald Rom, (Which I renamed Pokemon Apatite for fun) and close out of the program, then reopen it later and load up my rom, and try to open the same map it says Access Violation. I do not know why my maps keep on getting corrupted, can anyone help with this?

PREVIOUS PROJECTS

Old June 18th, 2013 (09:35 AM).
reshilegend
Understand Understand

Nature: Calm
Or you could also negate the effects by simply setting all IVs and EVs in YAPE to either max or 0.
Yeah that's possible, forgot about that.

Let's say I unlocked the second grass animation in Fire Red through hex editing (this method).
Is there a way of editing the wild pokemon that appear in the tall grass in AM in addition to the regular grass or will you always encounter the same pokemon?

hi
Old June 18th, 2013 (12:52 PM).
Sky93

Oh, okay. I understand. What you need to do is repoint the palette before changing it. You will have to go to the OW palette table and take the first pointer and follow it. Copy the first 32 bytes when you get there into some free space and then change the first pointer in the table to amtch the new location. Then it should work fine. You can find the palette table offset in the ini for OWERE.
Could you please elaborate on how to go about doing that? I have the palette uploaded to a free space slot, but I don't know how to change the palette in NSE

ROMs I Support:
Old June 18th, 2013 (03:22 PM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by reshilegend:
Yeah that's possible, forgot about that.

Let's say I unlocked the second grass animation in Fire Red through hex editing (this method).
Is there a way of editing the wild pokemon that appear in the tall grass in AM in addition to the regular grass or will you always encounter the same pokemon?
In RSE, I think it was the same pokemon. However, you may be able to create a behavior byte (using JPAN's engine?) that will randomly create battles using the "tree" category in A-Map and attach that to the tiles.

Quote originally posted by UltimaCircuit:
I am currently making a few beginning town maps, but I keep on having this problem in Advance Map 1.95. The issue is that whenever I save a map file on my Pokemon Emerald Rom, (Which I renamed Pokemon Apatite for fun) and close out of the program, then reopen it later and load up my rom, and try to open the same map it says Access Violation. I do not know why my maps keep on getting corrupted, can anyone help with this?
DON'T USE A-MAP 1.95!

^that is big so other people will see it.

1.95 is a highly buddy beta version that was never finished. Use 1.92 instead. The only safe thing in 1.95 is the actual drawing of the maps. Editing wild data, creating maps, adding events, changing tiles, non of that is truely safe. The only part that is good is using the extra tools that were added to draw the maps. Do everything else in 1.92.

Quote originally posted by Sky93:
Could you please elaborate on how to go about doing that? I have the palette uploaded to a free space slot, but I don't know how to change the palette in NSE
Okay, so, you followed the pointer, copied the palette, and then went back and changed the pointer to match the new location?

Good. Now, the palette should be safe to change in NSE just like you did before, only this time, it shouldn't be linked to palette 10.

Paired with Simba
Old June 18th, 2013 (03:40 PM).
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Okay, so this happens.

Everytime I enter or exit from a door, those weird tiles appear. It only happens to those specific tiles. Nothing else is screwed up. It probably has something to do with the door animation, but I don't know how to fix it. Help?

Old June 18th, 2013 (03:47 PM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by PJBottomz:
Okay, so this happens.

Everytime I enter or exit from a door, those weird tiles appear. It only happens to those specific tiles. Nothing else is screwed up. It probably has something to do with the door animation, but I don't know how to fix it. Help?
This was answered litterally at the top of the page... You (or someone else) inserted the tile over the tile that had a door animation attached to it.

Paired with Simba
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:26 PM).
Rebounder86
Unhatched Egg

Trying to mod Pokemon Emerald here. Trial and Error for almost 10 hours total, only manage to achieve 50% of what I want with unLZ-GBA.

ROM : Pokemon Emerald clean.

1. Load ROM.
2. Select LATIOS.
3. File > Export image.
4. Select LATIAS.
5. Edit.
6. Import All, the LATIOS sprite I exported.
7. Synchronise Palettes. Everything looks fine in frame 0 except for frame 1, where it's all grey. How do I solve this?
8. Write to ROM. Get error, Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

I'm pretty lost.
Old June 18th, 2013 (06:46 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
You shouldn't use apse for emerald, use unlz. Theres a tut around here.
If that won't work then use Fire red, it's most commonly hacked and more popular with features and such.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links