Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 18th, 2013 (06:59 PM).
Rebounder86
Unhatched Egg

I took you advice and go with Fire Red.
Only to encounter the same error when trying to Write to ROM.

Export Bulbasaur, import to Charmander and error when trying to write.
Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. This error really killing my will to hack.
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:04 PM).
YogiBerra

Does anyone know how I would go about editing which moves are taught by move tutors (the 16 that teach one dedicated move) using hex?
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:23 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Rebounder86

If you have two programs using the same ROM at the same time, that could happen.
Also you could be importing to an offset with no free space.

YogiBerra

There's a tool somewhere, I'll VM you it tomorrow. Remind me though
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:28 PM).
YogiBerra

Yeah I tried using a tool and managed to break my ROM, stupidly not backing up beforehand. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how to do it manually. The ROM still works fine and everything, but trying to load it in a Move Tutor Editing program results in an error.

Edit: Nevermind, I had an ingenious idea to just find the offset of the move tutor data and replace what I screwed up with the data from a clean ROM. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:35 PM).
Sagiri

Quote originally posted by YogiBerra:
Yeah I tried using a tool and managed to break my ROM, stupidly not backing up beforehand. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how to do it manually. The ROM still works fine and everything, but trying to load it in a Move Tutor Editing program results in an error.
What kind of error? If you post it, someone might be able to help.

Also, does the program you have use an ini file? If so, you should be able to look up the offset for your game in it. Then you can go there in a Hex Editor and edit them - as I recall, it is just a list of moves.
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:53 PM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by YogiBerra.
YogiBerra

Yes, it is, separated by 00 bytes rather than the FF bytes my ROM had for some reason, I worked it out though, thank you very much

Edit: So all that I have for the move is a single byte, meaning that moves with index numbers over FF (256 in decimal) seem to be incompatible with Move Tutors :/
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:38 PM).
Sagiri

Quote originally posted by YogiBerra:
Yes, it is, separated by 00 bytes rather than the FF bytes my ROM had for some reason, I worked it out though, thank you very much :P

Edit: So all that I have for the move is a single byte, meaning that moves with index numbers over FF (256 in decimal) seem to be incompatible with Move Tutors :/
I'm fairly certain the zeroes are there as part of the Move ID, not as a buffer. The games read moves as half-words (2 bytes), so even though Mega Punch is 05, it is really 0005 (though remember that, because it's in Little Endian, you have to reverse the order to 05 00).

So, if you wanted to put in something like Cosmic Power (0x142), you would separate the bytes into 01 42, reverse them to make 42 01 and put that into the Move Tutor table.
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:49 PM).
Sky93

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Okay, so, you followed the pointer, copied the palette, and then went back and changed the pointer to match the new location?
Im having trouble changing the pointer to match

ROMs I Support:
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:53 PM).
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty
Where can you get a save editor from? My mate just texted me like ten minutes ago and told me that you can edit the propertys of the Pokemon that are in your party and chance levels, make it a shiny, give it items and moves. He told me to look into it on my own and Google is being a egg right now or it could be my phone, IDK.

Thanks!

Is this a simple question? I have no idea as I am a newb in the hack area and have looking at the theads here by the side and I like tinkling with programms so I might keep reading the threads and try it.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old June 19th, 2013 (12:25 AM).
Carnage.Drake
Unhatched Egg

what kind of emulator didi you use guys to play pokemon ash gray??? i use vba emulator but it doesnt work!!!help me guys plsssss
Old June 19th, 2013 (05:07 AM).
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Carnage.Drake:
what kind of emulator didi you use guys to play pokemon ash gray??? i use vba emulator but it doesnt work!!!help me guys plsssss
A VBA emulator is what you need to play the games.
But if AshGray has a .ips extension, then the first thing you need to do is to patch it.
Here's a link to know what to do with patches.

3DS FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old June 19th, 2013 (06:59 AM). Edited June 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu:
Where can you get a save editor from? My mate just texted me like ten minutes ago and told me that you can edit the propertys of the Pokemon that are in your party and chance levels, make it a shiny, give it items and moves. He told me to look into it on my own and Google is being a egg right now or it could be my phone, IDK.

Thanks!

Is this a simple question? I have no idea as I am a newb in the hack area and have looking at the theads here by the side and I like tinkling with programms so I might keep reading the threads and try it.
For GBA, it is Encyclopedia Pokemon. Most of it is in Spanish, but if you search for "Encyclopedia Pokemon - English v1.1" you should find it. Note- it will only accept .savs from VBA-M (at least on my machine anyways).

Quote originally posted by Sky93:
Im having trouble changing the pointer to match
Take the 6 figure long offset, and swap the first and the last bytes (the first pair of two numbers and the last pair of two numbers) then put 08 on the end. Also, here is a visual representation:

AX BY CZ -> CZ BY AX 08

So, let's say you put it at 800124. First, seperate into bytes:

80 01 24

Now, swap the first and last one:

24 01 80

Now, add 08 to the end in order to let the game know it is in the rom:

24 01 80 08

Easy enough? Now, to turn a pointer into an offset, just follow these steps in reverse order.

Paired with Simba
Old June 19th, 2013 (09:49 AM). Edited June 19th, 2013 by pokefreake.
pokefreake

What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but I have no idea what it is .

What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but it didn;t say what it was.
Old June 19th, 2013 (10:39 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

A midi is just a song file. Look up my tutorial and download my pack.
Old June 19th, 2013 (11:20 AM). Edited June 19th, 2013 by Sky93.
Sky93

Take the 6 figure long offset, and swap the first and the last bytes (the first pair of two numbers and the last pair of two numbers) then put 08 on the end. Also, here is a visual representation:

AX BY CZ -> CZ BY AX 08

So, let's say you put it at 800124. First, seperate into bytes:

80 01 24

Now, swap the first and last one:

24 01 80

Now, add 08 to the end in order to let the game know it is in the rom:

24 01 80 08

Easy enough? Now, to turn a pointer into an offset, just follow these steps in reverse order.
Ok I got that, the only problem im having is where do I put that once I flip etc? Like, what do I need to replace and what program do I use to replace? Sorry for being such a newb!

ROMs I Support:
Old June 19th, 2013 (11:35 AM).
MasterWarlord

Using A-Tack to try to recreate Scald. I gave the Hit + Burn effect to Water Sport and turned it into an attack. It does damage and all, but it doesn't have any additional effect. Is something wrong with this particular attack to use as a base, or does the attack need to have some sort of chance to do something else in the first place in order to be able to have an effect? Maybe it needs to be a damaging move to start with to have such an effect applied? I'm looking for more general information about A-Tack, because there is none anywhere on the internet.
Old June 19th, 2013 (06:06 PM). Edited June 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by pokefreake:
What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but I have no idea what it is .

What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but it didn;t say what it was.
I'm going to give a slightly more in depth explanation: MIDI files are music files that don't actually have sound. Instead, they tell the program what notes to play. By not actually having an audio files, they save a ton of space. They are basically digital sheet music that is played by the player using synthesized instruments. You can edit them with a variety of different programs. I know personally that the music theory students at my school use these types of files to write their compositions and test them out before turning in the assignment.

Quote originally posted by Sky93:
Ok I got that, the only problem im having is where do I put that once I flip etc? Like, what do I need to replace and what program do I use to replace? Sorry for being such a newb!
You need to go to the table. The offset of said table is found in the ini for OWERE. The first pointer should be the one to change, but just make sure.

Quote originally posted by MasterWarlord:
Using A-Tack to try to recreate Scald. I gave the Hit + Burn effect to Water Sport and turned it into an attack. It does damage and all, but it doesn't have any additional effect. Is something wrong with this particular attack to use as a base, or does the attack need to have some sort of chance to do something else in the first place in order to be able to have an effect? Maybe it needs to be a damaging move to start with to have such an effect applied? I'm looking for more general information about A-Tack, because there is none anywhere on the internet.
I don't think the burn effect is guarnteed. Extra effects like that tend to only happen a certain percentage of the time. Your best bet is to learn battle scripting from Jambo's tut and then open up the effect and see for yourself how it works.

Paired with Simba
Old June 20th, 2013 (12:44 AM).
MasterWarlord

I don't think the burn effect is guarnteed. Extra effects like that tend to only happen a certain percentage of the time. Your best bet is to learn battle scripting from Jambo's tut and then open up the effect and see for yourself how it works.
I want it to be a chance to burn, not 100% burn. Giving Water Sport the "hit + burn" effect, though, never results in burning the foe. I must've tested the move at least 100 times, it never burned anything once. I doubt I'm that unlucky.
Old June 20th, 2013 (02:22 AM).
reshilegend

Nature: Calm
1.95 is a highly buddy beta version that was never finished. Use 1.92 instead. The only safe thing in 1.95 is the actual drawing of the maps. Editing wild data, creating maps, adding events, changing tiles, non of that is truely safe. The only part that is good is using the extra tools that were added to draw the maps. Do everything else in 1.92.
Thanks for answering my question, but now I'm worried about this
Now that you mentioned it I should probably use 1.92. I've been using 1.95 only for tile inserting and mapping because it's easier imo, so I didn't insert or change anything else. I hope nothing will be corrupted :/
Did someone actually have major problems with 1.95 in the past?

hi
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:16 AM).
XxAtlazxX
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hasty
Hello everyone. I have a quick question, I just started hacking Yesterday and i am using Advance Map for FR. So here's my dilemma, How can i set the initial spawn point in the game. I erased pallet town completely and created my own city to initially start off of. But when ever i start the game it doesn't spawn me and i get stuck in a black screen. Any solutions? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:29 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Use Start Map Chooser Advance (SMCA). It edits where you go when you start the game. The problem is that you deleted the original map and/or X/Y coordinates, so you froze the game. Here: http://www.divshare.com/download/2160644-9aa
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:38 AM). Edited June 20th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by reshilegend:
Thanks for answering my question, but now I'm worried about this
Now that you mentioned it I should probably use 1.92. I've been using 1.95 only for tile inserting and mapping because it's easier imo, so I didn't insert or change anything else. I hope nothing will be corrupted :/
Did someone actually have major problems with 1.95 in the past?
I have personally corrupted several maps and broken my rom using it. As I have said before, you can draw your maps in it, that is safe. But makeing new maps, inserting events, and that other stuff is buggy. Those parts don't really have any new features since 1.92, (in fact only being made harder because everything was changed back to pure hex) so use 1.92 for that.

I want it to be a chance to burn, not 100% burn. Giving Water Sport the "hit + burn" effect, though, never results in burning the foe. I must've tested the move at least 100 times, it never burned anything once. I doubt I'm that unlucky.
Possibly that effect is broken? Go to a move that you know has a hit + burn effect (Ember? Flamethrower?) and try those effects. There may be more than one hit + burn effect.

Paired with Simba
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:52 AM).
XxAtlazxX
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hasty
You are my new best friend. I thank you very much.
Old June 20th, 2013 (07:49 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by XxAtlazxX:
You are my new best friend. I thank you very much.
Lol you are very welcome.
Old June 20th, 2013 (08:01 AM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Did you remember to set the effect chance to something greater than 0? If you don't do this, it will never happen.

I doubt you skipped over something that obvious, but since no-one else has asked you something that obvious, I figured I should maybe challenge that preconception!

Sponsored Links