The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWarlord View Post
I want it to be a chance to burn, not 100% burn. Giving Water Sport the "hit + burn" effect, though, never results in burning the foe. I must've tested the move at least 100 times, it never burned anything once. I doubt I'm that unlucky.
Did you remember to set the effect chance to something greater than 0? If you don't do this, it will never happen.

I doubt you skipped over something that obvious, but since no-one else has asked you something that obvious, I figured I should maybe challenge that preconception!
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
LuisPro

Hello

Where i can post pokemon rom hack request ?
(i looking for any gba poke without IV/EV system or only without IV sustem)

Greetings.
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:18 PM
MasterWarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Possibly that effect is broken? Go to a move that you know has a hit + burn effect (Ember? Flamethrower?) and try those effects. There may be more than one hit + burn effect.
Gave the same Pokemon Ember and my move for testing purposes already. Ember burns, my move doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Did you remember to set the effect chance to something greater than 0? If you don't do this, it will never happen.

I doubt you skipped over something that obvious, but since no-one else has asked you something that obvious, I figured I should maybe challenge that preconception!
Yeah. I was thinking there was something like this. A-Tack (Or perhaps my version of A-Tack) has no such option for this. Was this added in another version?

Or do I have to script to select the chance?
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWarlord View Post
Gave the same Pokemon Ember and my move for testing purposes already. Ember burns, my move doesn't.

Yeah. I was thinking there was something like this. A-Tack (Or perhaps my version of A-Tack) has no such option for this. Was this added in another version?

Or do I have to script to select the chance?

There is another program called Move Editor which also works well. Another option is the move editor in PGE by Gamer2020.

Paired with Simba
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM
MasterWarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
There is another program called Move Editor which also works well. Another option is the move editor in PGE by Gamer2020.
Yeah, just needed these better programs. Thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited by MasterWarlord; June 20th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old June 21st, 2013, 06:20 AM
YogiBerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
I'm fairly certain the zeroes are there as part of the Move ID, not as a buffer. The games read moves as half-words (2 bytes), so even though Mega Punch is 05, it is really 0005 (though remember that, because it's in Little Endian, you have to reverse the order to 05 00).

So, if you wanted to put in something like Cosmic Power (0x142), you would separate the bytes into 01 42, reverse them to make 42 01 and put that into the Move Tutor table.
Thank you very much, that worked perfectly.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone looked into altering the AI for battles to either expand it to higher levels, or to just make trainers harder in general?
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

In A-Trainer next to the pokemon there's an AI Value box, putting it up for each pokemon will make it look like the trainer is good, but it's individual pokemon.
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
In A-Trainer next to the pokemon there's an AI Value box, putting it up for each pokemon will make it look like the trainer is good, but it's individual pokemon.
Isn't there also an AI value for the trainer itself?

Paired with Simba
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Actually, the value you refer to is the IVs of the Pokémon in question, not the AI (it's mislabelled in A-Trainer).

The "Unknown" value on the first page is the actual AI value. The minimum AI strength is 0 and the maximum is 7.
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
pokefreake

In advance trainer when I open up the rom I get an error. It says "Subscript out or range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" Any suggestions?
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefreake View Post
In advance trainer when I open up the rom I get an error. It says "Subscript out or range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" Any suggestions?
This was asked a while ago, but I can't remember the answer. Judging by the error itself, I would say it is having trouble decompressing the 8th tile of one of the trainer/pokemon images (which are compressed via Lz77).

Paired with Simba
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
YogiBerra

Quote:
Right, but I believe there is also an AI value for the trainer, and I was talking about actually hacking the game to increase this AI level even more so that trainers are as close to human-level competitive battling as possible.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
pokefreake

Is that a problem with the rom?
Also I seen in a video that there was a program called pet that does the same thing as A-Trainer. I looked it up and I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where the download link is?
Old June 21st, 2013, 03:03 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Is that a problem with the rom?
Also I seen in a video that there was a program called pet that does the same thing as A-Trainer. I looked it up and I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where the download link is?
PET is super, super old and super buggy. It requires you to dump your game images first into a folder it is so old. (It came with Elite Map I belive...) I have a copy if you really want it, but stick to A-Trainer or wait for Jambo51 to release his trainer editor which he is currently developing and just released a beta for on RHO Social. He developed his own to work with the 649 patch because A-Trainer doesn't have an ini file which would be required for his hack.

Paired with Simba
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM
Sagiri

I don't really do much (or, really, any) mapping, so I apologize if this is obvious.

Okay, there are some maps - I'll call them "linked maps", because I don't know of the real term (or if one even exists) - that share all of their map tiles, but with different map banks, events, people and warps. Some examples are Pokemon Centers and regular houses. I know they do this because any changes made to the map of one show up in the others.

How do these so-called linked maps work? Is there any way to delink them? Or to link together new maps?
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:34 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
They all share map footers. You can see the map footers in the Professional view (ctrl+h) of the header tab in advance map.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:21 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
I don't really do much (or, really, any) mapping, so I apologize if this is obvious.

Okay, there are some maps - I'll call them "linked maps", because I don't know of the real term (or if one even exists) - that share all of their map tiles, but with different map banks, events, people and warps. Some examples are Pokemon Centers and regular houses. I know they do this because any changes made to the map of one show up in the others.

How do these so-called linked maps work? Is there any way to delink them? Or to link together new maps?
the pokecenter is just a map that has been made several times... you can alter each one if you like

same with the regular house maps... its just been made exactly the same repeatedly... they are not the same or "linked" in any way, they just were made to look the same.

you can change the pokecenters tileset to match a cave if you want... make the varidian pokecenter have a surfable lake in the middle... it wont hurt the other pokecenters...
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
the pokecenter is just a map that has been made several times... you can alter each one if you like

same with the regular house maps... its just been made exactly the same repeatedly... they are not the same or "linked" in any way, they just were made to look the same.

you can change the pokecenters tileset to match a cave if you want... make the varidian pokecenter have a surfable lake in the middle... it wont hurt the other pokecenters...
The Pokécentres one isn't true, at least. If you modify the map data of a Pokécentre, it's reflected in all other (linked) Pokécentres.

This is because they all share a single footer, which in turn means that they all share ONE set of map data.

By manually setting a footer equal to another footer, you can easily create these "linked" maps, and by extension, you can easily "unlink" the maps by creating a virtually identical footer which simply points to a separate set of map data (it can share everything else).
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Sagiri

Okay, thank you. That makes sense.

To be honest, I was expecting something more like a table of map banks and numbers that share a map. But this is actually even simpler to expand / edit.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
XxAtlazxX
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hasty
Alright. I've come to a huge halt in my hacking. I've built a city from the ground up, completely deleted all other maps. Now Gogojjtech recommended to use SMCA for that was my original problem. But now the program wont work. I place the bank and map level i want to spawn but no matter what i do it just wont let me start the game after giving the rival his name. Could this program have corrupted my game ROM or am I just plain stupid?

p.s.
It does the same with Emerald.

OK iv'e made some progress. Apparently switching the music lets me spawn!!! I am annoyed now. Well anyways its hard to know what is what in the music section for it doesn't displays the name of the song its like it's glitched or something. Now the next problem. It still wont function for my Emerald .gba.

[Update]
Ok so i get myself to start spawn now but now it wont even let me warp out of my house. The game freezes with the song playing in the background but the screen remains black.

Alright so iv'e notice something, every time I save I must change the music on every map otherwise it freezes the game. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening EVERY single time?

Last edited by XxAtlazxX; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
does A-map support 7-digits now? I mean, if i hack emerald and prevent sound corruption... i would be forced to use a 32mb rom, so that'd be quite a letdown. Not that it's a problem as A-map just supposedly makes things easier (things A-map can do may still be done through other tools), and i can also just choose to ignore the sound corruption.

But still... better knowing than not.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
athenian200

I want to modify the wild Zigzagoon battle that occurs in Pokémon Emerald after you choose a Pokémon from Professor Birch's bag. I've looked at the script in XSE, and "wildbattle" is NEVER invoked. It seems like the entire scenario between checking the bag and the end of the battle is dealt with by something called "special 0x9F", and will require specific instructions to modify. I want to invoke a trainer battle with a Team Aqua grunt here instead of encountering a wild Zigzagoon.

I have tried adding "trainerbattle" to the script the bag uses, but the best result I can get by that method is fighting a trainer immediately AFTER fighting the wild Zigzagoon.

It seems a lot like the problem I had with "special 0xD6" and changing the Ralts into an Abra and the Pokémon Wally was given into an Absol with Taunt.

I'm sure this is fairly simple to fix, and that someone has done it before... I just have not seen a solution to this problem posted anywhere.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:49 AM
pokefreake

karatekid552, Do you have a link to the beta download for the trainer editor?
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
karatekid552, Do you have a link to the beta download for the trainer editor?
Not at the moment. The latest version right now is over 9 days old and I know that Jambo has done a lot more to it since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
I want to modify the wild Zigzagoon battle that occurs in Pokémon Emerald after you choose a Pokémon from Professor Birch's bag. I've looked at the script in XSE, and "wildbattle" is NEVER invoked. It seems like the entire scenario between checking the bag and the end of the battle is dealt with by something called "special 0x9F", and will require specific instructions to modify. I want to invoke a trainer battle with a Team Aqua grunt here instead of encountering a wild Zigzagoon.

I have tried adding "trainerbattle" to the script the bag uses, but the best result I can get by that method is fighting a trainer immediately AFTER fighting the wild Zigzagoon.

It seems a lot like the problem I had with "special 0xD6" and changing the Ralts into an Abra and the Pokémon Wally was given into an Absol with Taunt.

I'm sure this is fairly simple to fix, and that someone has done it before... I just have not seen a solution to this problem posted anywhere.
Without using ASM to hack to the special, you would need to completely script a new intro that does not use it. For example, you could pull a Red and have the three pokeballs lying on the ground. Or, you could do something like I did once and have it so when you press A in front of the bag, three pokeball OWs appear and (using movement commands) "bounce" out of the bag and land in the positions you want them to.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; June 23rd, 2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Sceptylos
Saint

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Sceptylos
Couldn't really find the answer anywhere else so, I was wondering how to change the options that the Badge Man in Cerulean City gives, I wanted to change each badge to a different Pokémon.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here