The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd409 View Post
Let me ask you guys this: are you both 100% self-taught, or did someone get you started somewhere along the way?
Yes, I am 100% self taught, the only thing I had open was ARM's own THUMB assembler reference and a debugger. I learned infinitely more by doing that and studying a routine I knew the final outcome of than by asking questions. I learned by doing, which is by far the best way to learn this sort of stuff.

Quote:
I'm not some helpless noob asking for a premade ips, I'm someone who's trying to learn.
Who said you were?

Quote:
Condescending though your post was, yes it will be helpful. I have an idea where to start now, and it was infinitely more helpful than karatekid552's "good luck man."
It certainly wasn't intended to be condescending, it was just meant to try to help instil the right mentality for ASM hacking in you.

By its very nature, ASM is very personal to the hacker and their hack, which is why many of the ASM hacks I've made for LC would be useless for other hacks (just as an example).

As a direct result of this, collaborations between ASM hackers are few and far between. We don't intentionally hide information from each other (generally speaking), but as an exercise to learning ASM hackers we do tend to try to teach them the right mindset.

I had no tutorials, or helpful ASM hackers guiding me in the learning process when I did it, so please recognise the difference between kk552 and myself, and the likes of HackMew who offered no help at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
Three Questions About Emerald.

1. How to add new World Map?
2. What is Routine Adress to ASM pointer about Cries and Dex Entries
3. It is possible to port Mining Game from DPPT to Emerald Rom?
1. ASM combined with some extra graphics. I don't know where because I don't hack Emerald.
2. Don't know. Try finding it yourself, it's really not that hard, just work backwards from a known piece of data. See the posts I posted above for more info.
3. There's already examples of people having done it using no more than scripts, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
What would be the best way to find where ability data is stored in Emerald? I want to do something with the unused Cacophony, like convert it to be another ability. I found the name and description, but can't seem to find where the actual functional part of the data is.
Abilities are handled almost exclusively by ASM, making them very hard to change. The few that aren't ASM are battle scripts.

Last edited by Jambo51; August 4th, 2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Cleaning up, adding new answer
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Yes, I am 100% self taught, the only thing I had open was ARM's own THUMB assembler reference and a debugger. I learned infinitely more by doing that and studying a routine I knew the final outcome of than by asking questions. I learned by doing, which is by far the best way to learn this sort of stuff.

Who said you were?

It certainly wasn't intended to be condescending, it was just meant to try to help instil the right mentality for ASM hacking in you.

By its very nature, ASM is very personal to the hacker and their hack, which is why many of the ASM hacks I've made for LC would be useless for other hacks (just as an example).

As a direct result of this, collaborations between ASM hackers are few and far between. We don't intentionally hide information from each other (generally speaking), but as an exercise to learning ASM hackers we do tend to try to teach them the right mindset.

I had no tutorials, or helpful ASM hackers guiding me in the learning process when I did it, so please recognise the difference between kk552 and myself, and the likes of HackMew who offered no help at all.

1. ASM combined with some extra graphics. I don't know where because I don't hack Emerald.
2. Don't know. Try finding it yourself, it's really not that hard, just work backwards from a known piece of data. See the posts I posted above for more info.
3. There's already examples of people having done it using no more than scripts, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Abilities are handled almost exclusively by ASM, making them very hard to change. The few that aren't ASM are battle scripts.
So Bad. Becouse I do not know any adress in Pokemone Emerald Rom. All my atemps to find them end with Corruption of Rom. I need cleary adress of this. I know that RUBY and EMERALD share that same Cry Engine adresses. I need to know that becosue I want add my new 27 pokemon their own cries.

POKEMON DIRTY SUN - Comming Soon.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Tlachtli
Crit happens.

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Specifically, I'd want to change Cacophony to something like Ice Body (which it seems like would just be an edit of Rain Dish). Any idea if that could be done through battle scripts, or would it need asm?

A Gen 3 remake de-make, (soon to be) featuring many Gen VI mechanics
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
Ok. I have one another type question. Someone can make for me Midi File of music to my fanmade region named Thonsu? I do not have great idea for that tune. This tune is for Wild Pokemon Battle. I have rest theme. But for this i do not have idea. Someone help?

POKEMON DIRTY SUN - Comming Soon.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM
uliekztrollface?
U MAD BRO?

Hi people. Where could I download Advance-Text safely (emphasis on that)? Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
pokefreake

Quote:
Originally Posted by uliekztrollface? View Post
Hi people. Where could I download Advance-Text safely (emphasis on that)? Thanks.
You can download it here.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/427/
It doesn't have a virus. The program was made using tools that were used to create viruses I believe.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
Specifically, I'd want to change Cacophony to something like Ice Body (which it seems like would just be an edit of Rain Dish). Any idea if that could be done through battle scripts, or would it need asm?
That would need ASM. But it'd be fairly simplistic ASM, since you'd just be kind of reworking an existing ability. As with all ASM, the hardest part is finding where to put it, rather than anything else.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM
uliekztrollface?
U MAD BRO?

Quote:
The program was made using tools that were used to create a virus
...That just does not sound good. So if it's not a virus in that case why would it be made the same way as one
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by uliekztrollface? View Post
...That just does not sound good. So if it's not a virus in that case why would it be made the same way as one
The way the program runs is what causes it to be picked up by McAfee and others as a virus. It is a text searcher. How many other programs log the locations of slightly encrypted text? Not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
Ok. I have one another type question. Someone can make for me Midi File of music to my fanmade region named Thonsu? I do not have great idea for that tune. This tune is for Wild Pokemon Battle. I have rest theme. But for this i do not have idea. Someone help?
This is not the place for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regidudeam View Post
I want to make my HGSS rom only allow the RNG to create perfect ivs spreads for every wild encounter. Does anyone know the HEX address, for which the formula for iv generation can be tweaked. I don't want to hex edit a .sav file, I want to hex edit the rom. I don't want to use pokeSAV. My apologies if this question was already asked. I couldn't find this topic in the HGSS rom hacking thread.
Sounds like you want to create perfect pokemon for use in tournaments without any work. Any true game maker knows that the IV/EV system is what allows each pokemon to be unique (and with the exception of Emerald's issues with the roam legendary's) is what makes the games fun. There is no reason to remove it, except so you can cheat easily, by not having to worry about making the pokmon legal, the game will do that for you. For that, I shall offer no help, even if I did know.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; August 4th, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Shubunkus
I.R.

So, I have two questions about Advanced Map.

1. Which version is better, 1.92 or 1.95? I know 1.95 is a later release but I heard it had more bugs than 1.92, so which version do you deem to be safer?

2. Is there any possible way to create and insert maps without interfering with the names of previously existing maps? Maybe someone could link me to a tutorial that explains, in-depth, how to create and insert maps and one that explains how to create proper map connections.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:55 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubunkus View Post
So, I have two questions about Advanced Map.

1. Which version is better, 1.92 or 1.95? I know 1.95 is a later release but I heard it had more bugs than 1.92, so which version do you deem to be safer?

2. Is there any possible way to create and insert maps without interfering with the names of previously existing maps? Maybe someone could link me to a tutorial that explains, in-depth, how to create and insert maps and one that explains how to create proper map connections.

Thanks in advance.
1) 1.95 has a lot of bugs. Use 1.92, it is far safer.

2) Creating new maps literally takes a few clicks. I think you can figure that out on your own. However, adding new map names is a completely different story. See here: http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=212492

Paired with Simba
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LU-HO
1) Using AM 1.95 together with AM 1.92:
Attention: if u use extended/32Mb sized Roms, you shouldn't use AdvanceMap 1.92 anymore.
AdvanceMap 1.92 create Errors if you try to save data in extended ROM area (from Offset 1234567 it make 234567).
If you use AdvanceMap 1.95 and want to change Worldmap with AM 1.92, be very careful so you don't damage your Rom...
Just be aware of this one major bug.

Elite Four Drake would like to battle!
Salamence (Lv. 55) - Intimidate - (Dragon Rush, Zen Headbutt)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: FINALE
November 21st and 28th / Staff Collab 2014
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Tlachtli
Crit happens.

Quote:
That would need ASM. But it'd be fairly simplistic ASM, since you'd just be kind of reworking an existing ability. As with all ASM, the hardest part is finding where to put it, rather than anything else.
I have no real ASM experience, but I can read up and try my hand at simplistic. How do you suggest trying to find a specific ASM script?

I've started by trying to find any kind of reference to Rain Dish in the hex. I've found an address that points to the address of text message generated when an ability causes healing in battle ("XX's YY restored its HP a little." -- there were actually two of these, but I experimentally determined the 2nd was for healing items like Leftovers).

I've also found two address containing the name RAIN DISH; experimentally the first is used in battle and on the poke inspect screens. I have no idea what the second is for, but I found an address that points to it in what seems to be a table of pointers separated by: (pointer) ?? 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 (pointer) ??, etc.

There don't seem to be any references to either of those pointers or the first instance of RAIN DISH in the hex, so that seems to be as far backwards as I can work doing that. How else should I go about it?

Old August 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Hi all, I have been away for a couple of months but I'm back into the swing of things.

I'm into ASM and wondering where is the best routines I should study to learn from? (If that makes sense)

I'm possibly going to start with IV value changing but I have read this info is encrypted. So I'm not sure if its the best start for me.

So which routine should I learn for a first timer!? (I have read a .doc called THUMB tutorial by 'bruno' if that helps)

Thanks PC!
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Hi all, I have been away for a couple of months but I'm back into the swing of things.

I'm into ASM and wondering where is the best routines I should study to learn from? (If that makes sense)

I'm possibly going to start with IV value changing but I have read this info is encrypted. So I'm not sure if its the best start for me.

So which routine should I learn for a first timer!? (I have read a .doc called THUMB tutorial by 'bruno' if that helps)

Thanks PC!
Ummm, I would start by reading my concepts guide if you haven't already, then explore all of the links I give at the end.

After that, pick something you want to do, and don't give up until you do it. Then move on to something else. That is how I learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
Just be aware of this one major bug.
I did not know that. My rom is extended, but I am using that space for images, nothing much else. Good to know though.

EDIT. XD I FINALLY MADE THE 1000 POST MARK AND POSTED 5 MORE TIMES BEFORE NOTICING, lol!

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; August 5th, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
I have no real ASM experience, but I can read up and try my hand at simplistic. How do you suggest trying to find a specific ASM script?

I've started by trying to find any kind of reference to Rain Dish in the hex. I've found an address that points to the address of text message generated when an ability causes healing in battle ("XX's YY restored its HP a little." -- there were actually two of these, but I experimentally determined the 2nd was for healing items like Leftovers).

I've also found two address containing the name RAIN DISH; experimentally the first is used in battle and on the poke inspect screens. I have no idea what the second is for, but I found an address that points to it in what seems to be a table of pointers separated by: (pointer) ?? 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 (pointer) ??, etc.

There don't seem to be any references to either of those pointers or the first instance of RAIN DISH in the hex, so that seems to be as far backwards as I can work doing that. How else should I go about it?
Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Xcisor

Had a question related to Script Editing. As for the "Special 0x9D" which is "Old Man Catches Weedle" special, is there any way to edit the special so that way he catches another Pokemon, Pikachu? The offset for the special is 0x9D but where is the battlescene script where Weedle Hex might be changed to Pikachu's?
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Tlachtli
Crit happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.
That all looks amazingly helpful, thanks! This might be a dumb question, but how do you put a breakpoint on something? I've seen people say to do that, but never how.

Also, something for after I get this figured out: how difficult would it be to add new abilities (as opposed to editing existing ones)? Would it be something doable with beginner knowledge, or would that be something more advanced?

Old August 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM
atangerine

HELP! (Firered)

I started to make my own hack, so I created some maps and inserted them into the game (in a new bank). I then made the starting house warp into one of my created maps. When I play it on the emulator though, I'm stuck in one spot when I warp to my created map and a bunch of symbols appear on screen (in text). I think this problem has something to do with my Map Connections, because I had no problem with this before I started adding connections to my map. Does anyone have any ideas (or the same problem)?
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM
atangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.
Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Crocky
SuperScarlet!

Is there an easy to understand tutorial on how to change the world map in fire red BPRE?
I tried a few, but they didn't work out for me
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by atangerine View Post
Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...
LOTS and lots of bugs. It was an unfinished beta version.

Paired with Simba
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM
atangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
LOTS and lots of bugs. It was an unfinished beta version.
Which one would you recommend using then? And do you know a solution to my map connections problem? Thanks in advance.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Map connections need to be set up on each map. So set it up on map B as well.
Use advance map 1.92.

Sponsored Links