The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM
XeroXen

Nature: Relaxed
Just a quick question. I've been searching for some kind of documentation on what all the different sounds/fanfares that exist in the game are with no success. I mean mostly small sounds such as opening doors and stuff. If anybody has a link to such a resource that would be such an amazing help.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:48 PM
SpadeEdge16

so ive been trying to expand some of my pokemon ows to 32x32, and in the tut i read it says it takes up a lot of memory to do that, so i was wondering how much memory it would take up if i made all of the pokemon sprites currently in FR to 32x32? People tell me not to but i cant help but always be paranoid that im going to run out of memory, haha.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
gogojjtech

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroXen View Post
Just a quick question. I've been searching for some kind of documentation on what all the different sounds/fanfares that exist in the game are with no success. I mean mostly small sounds such as opening doors and stuff. If anybody has a link to such a resource that would be such an amazing help.
I have a research thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=303340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
so ive been trying to expand some of my pokemon ows to 32x32, and in the tut i read it says it takes up a lot of memory to do that, so i was wondering how much memory it would take up if i made all of the pokemon sprites currently in FR to 32x32? People tell me not to but i cant help but always be paranoid that im going to run out of memory, haha.
My game is based off of DP OWs. It's not a big deal AT ALL. You can do it, it's not even twice the size of an original 16 x 32. It's like a fourth larger.
The SoulSilver Music Patch - The Black Music Patch - Mega-Huge Sappy Tutorial - Time-Based Events - Yet Another Sprite Resource
­
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
­

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo

Last edited by gogojjtech; August 17th, 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
I have a research thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=303340

My game is based off of DP OWs. It's not a big deal AT ALL. You can do it, it's not even twice the size of an original 16 x 32. It's like a fourth larger.
Actually, the way data is size is measured is:

( Length x Width ) / 2

So, actually, it takes up twice the space. Uncompressed data, like OWs, is stored a half-byte per pixel, or 4 bits. 32 x 32 = 1024 pixels so 512 bytes. 16 x 32 is 512 pixels so 256 bytes. 200% larger. Not 125%. Still, it is not that much data if you do it right. My title screen for Derpizard Contamination weighs in at roughly 1.3mbs. That is 1,300,000 bytes. So, don't worry.

Paired with Simba
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM
SpadeEdge16

So, I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the pallets for the HGSS Ows? Because I want to have them in my hack, and i pretty much want to know what their layout was for those games. Like in FR how they have about 5 pallets that covers all of their sprites. Do the HGSS games have that? Or did they end up making seperate palleets for each OW?
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:28 PM
awipe1

Quote:
So, I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the pallets for the HGSS Ows? Because I want to have them in my hack, and i pretty much want to know what their layout was for those games. Like in FR how they have about 5 pallets that covers all of their sprites. Do the HGSS games have that? Or did they end up making seperate palleets for each OW?
Uhhh this is what I would do if I were you.

1) Look up the sprite/palette you need from HGSS.
2) Take that sprite to infraview or whatever it's called and decrease the color depth to 16.
3) Export the palette.

In FR it just worked out that they only need a certain number or palettes because a lot of things had the same colour schemes. I think for HGSS they might have had an individual palette for each pokemon, since they had A LOT more space than the gameboy advanced games.

Don't quote me on this information, I could be wrong.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:52 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
Uhhh this is what I would do if I were you.

1) Look up the sprite/palette you need from HGSS.
2) Take that sprite to infraview or whatever it's called and decrease the color depth to 16.
3) Export the palette.

In FR it just worked out that they only need a certain number or palettes because a lot of things had the same colour schemes. I think for HGSS they might have had an individual palette for each pokemon, since they had A LOT more space than the gameboy advanced games.

Don't quote me on this information, I could be wrong.
and what program do i use to look at the OWs? Ive looked into one of the DS OW editors but i couldnt get it to work right.
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:03 AM
awipe1

Quote:
and what program do i use to look at the OWs? Ive looked into one of the DS OW editors but i couldnt get it to work right.
I just look mine up on google, for example. If I wanted to find alakazam, I would search "Heartgold alakazam overworld", and this is what popped up.

http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/alakazam

And you can see all the sprites there, and you just right click each individual sprite and 'Save image as'.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:47 AM
ballsmcgee

So I'm trying to make several new maps, but when I create one where does it go? How can I add it to the map bank and be able to access it? I've heard I might need to expand the map bank, but how do I do that?
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Wobbu
Wobbuffet tho

When you press the 'Create Map' button, you press the 'Insert Map' button after that, right? If so, then the window that pops up will tell you where your maps will go.
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
SevilitheArcanine

Nature: Adamant
I'm trying to add sprites to my hack (using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor), but when I click "Synchronize Palettes" I get an unhanded exception error message saying "Index was outside the bounds of the array". Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
gogojjtech

Its not a big deal. Just go back in and press import, but dont click synchronize pallettes again.
The SoulSilver Music Patch - The Black Music Patch - Mega-Huge Sappy Tutorial - Time-Based Events - Yet Another Sprite Resource
­
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
­

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM
SevilitheArcanine

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Its not a big deal. Just go back in and press import, but dont click synchronize pallettes again.
I get the sprites to look normal on the top row, but on the bottom row they look all glitchy, and they look that way in the game as well. The video tutorial I watched clicked synchronize palettes to make them look the way they should.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:15 PM
gogojjtech

They need to be 16 colors for the game to use them.
­
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
­

Old August 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
SpadeEdge16

hey guys, so id hate to ask this, but ive never used a hex editor before and im trying to use a tut to add new pallets to my OWs, but I cant follow the tut, I get lost with how it works, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me out?

this is the tut im using.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
awipe1

Quote:
hey guys, so id hate to ask this, but ive never used a hex editor before and im trying to use a tut to add new pallets to my OWs, but I cant follow the tut, I get lost with how it works, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me out?

this is the tut im using.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160
Well what do you need help with? Please try to be more specific on this thread. Where do you get lost?

Old August 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
Well what do you need help with? Please try to be more specific on this thread. Where do you get lost?
When it says to paste the offset into the hex editor, then it says to open the unmodified rom and copy 64 bytes. I dont get why it says to paste it in an modified rom, then save it, then copy 64 bytes out of the unmodified one.
Pretty much all of step 5
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
When it says to paste the offset into the hex editor, then it says to open the unmodified rom and copy 64 bytes. I dont get why it says to paste it in an modified rom, then save it, then copy 64 bytes out of the unmodified one.
Pretty much all of step 5
Okay, what you are pasting in the hex editor is [pointer- 00 00 80 08] before the 00000000 FF110000, which tells the game that the table has ended. So, you paste that in. A pointer is a neat little thing that tells the game where to go next. As you probably know, pointers are reversed. So, 00 00 80 08 is really pointing to offset (08 [tells us we are in the rom]) 80 00 00. In this case, it is telling the game where the palette is.

Now, we are going back into the unmodified rom to go to offset 35B968. This part, I don't understand. Palettes are 32 bytes long, not 64, but either way, you are copying the palette back to where you are pointing. TECHNICALLY, this palette should still be in the modified rom and we can still point to it, but here, Quickster is teaching you how to copy and move palettes. OW palettes are really only 32 bytes (2 bytes per color), so you copy that to the offset we pointed to earlier, which was 80 00 00.

I hope that wasn't too confusing? I usually insert my palettes directly from the image using NSE, but here is a strict, data manipulation way of doing it.

Paired with Simba
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Duffy1

Hey so I'm kindof a noob when it comes to scripting and ive been having some problems lately with XSE and A-Map. Whenever i compile a script with a msgbox command in it, for some reason it adds an 8 at the beginning of the header after the msgbox, but not when i declare the string later on in the script.
For example if i had:
msgbox @talk
#org @talk
= Hi

Then when i compile it id get something like:
msgbox 0x8800000
#org 0x800000
= Hi

and if i tried to fix the headers then the strings would come out as jibberish.

In the game, when you walk up to the sprite and press "A" the game freezes because the headers are mismatched and i can not get it to stop doing this and i have no idea why it does this. Ive reinstalled XSE several times and no help

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:19 PM
domdomdommy
US Navy

Nature: Serious
ive been trying to set a path for when you faint during battle and right now i have it to where you are on a beach and then you go to a forest and do a wild battle and when you faint, itll go to the upper left tile of the map. i have the flight script set to where i want it, i even added a level script to the map using

'---------------
#org 0x80F36A
sethealingplace 0x0
warpmuted 0x0 0x1 0xFF 0x1E 0x29
end

and i mean if you put it on the same map, itll constantly warp you forever. if you put it on the forest map like i did, as soon as you enter it warps you to the position. but i only want it to work when i faint. if i dont have the warpmuted, itll only take me to one of the old pokecenters which i dont want. anyone help?

Working on my own Pokemon Ruby-based hack entitled Pokemon Discovery Red and Pokemon Discovery Blue.
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Okay, what you are pasting in the hex editor is [pointer- 00 00 80 08] before the 00000000 FF110000, which tells the game that the table has ended. So, you paste that in. A pointer is a neat little thing that tells the game where to go next. As you probably know, pointers are reversed. So, 00 00 80 08 is really pointing to offset (08 [tells us we are in the rom]) 80 00 00. In this case, it is telling the game where the palette is.

Now, we are going back into the unmodified rom to go to offset 35B968. This part, I don't understand. Palettes are 32 bytes long, not 64, but either way, you are copying the palette back to where you are pointing. TECHNICALLY, this palette should still be in the modified rom and we can still point to it, but here, Quickster is teaching you how to copy and move palettes. OW palettes are really only 32 bytes (2 bytes per color), so you copy that to the offset we pointed to earlier, which was 80 00 00.

I hope that wasn't too confusing? I usually insert my palettes directly from the image using NSE, but here is a strict, data manipulation way of doing it.
Okay, so let me see if i get this. Hes pretty much having us edit a pallet in an unmodified rom, copying the offset to it, finding free space for a pallet in the modified rom, then having us paste that pallet offset which we changed into that free space, allowing us to have a new pallet inserted into our rom?

If that is so, then how would we know which number that pallet is in NSE?
Also, I saw someone comment saying they already had made 70 new pallets? If the tut says to insert the offset before "ect", then how does he do it that many times?
And lastly, so is the way you do it easier? Haha.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Hey so I'm kindof a noob when it comes to scripting and ive been having some problems lately with XSE and A-Map. Whenever i compile a script with a msgbox command in it, for some reason it adds an 8 at the beginning of the header after the msgbox, but not when i declare the string later on in the script.
For example if i had:
msgbox @talk
#org @talk
= Hi

Then when i compile it id get something like:
msgbox 0x8800000
#org 0x800000
= Hi

and if i tried to fix the headers then the strings would come out as jibberish.

In the game, when you walk up to the sprite and press "A" the game freezes because the headers are mismatched and i can not get it to stop doing this and i have no idea why it does this. Ive reinstalled XSE several times and no help

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated
Well this is what your script should look like

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
msgbox @talk 0x2
end

#org @talk
= Hi!

Let's say you started a new ROM, if you were to compile that script you should get an offset of 800000. Now let's say you were to do some modifications to that offset, you would open it up and you would see

0x8800000

The reason why you would see this is because I think the 0x8 is there to summon that perticular offset, it's nothing to worry about, whatever offset you complite will have an extra 8 in front of it!

I think the reason why your script didnt work was because you didn't add the '0x2' infront of your msgbox @talk

What this does is it decides what type of message box you would be using, since there are MANY different types of message boxes to use. Whenever you make a message box, you need to add sometype of 0x2, 0x3 0x4 ... or add MSG_NORMAL, MSG_YESNO ...

You can find all these different types of message boxes right here.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276

It seems like you are having trouble with scripting, I recommend you read that post. It will help you. If you don't want to read the WHOLE thing, atleast check that out first before you post here!

Also if you have any more questions, PM me and I can help you out!

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Aruaruu

Hi. I am trying to find the script for the national dex upgrade in emerald that occurs once you leave your house after the credits as seen at about 1:00 in this video
->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-eoMSw4dM

I have looked through the level scripts in the whole of littleroot town (player house, lab and the town map itself) and I can't find anything. I looked in a-text to search for the text and see if I could work backwards but nope.

uhh, hope this was the appropriate place to ask this...

Last edited by Aruaruu; August 18th, 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: fixing stuff
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Wobbu
Wobbuffet tho

Quote:
Hi. I am trying to find the script for the national dex upgrade in emerald that occurs once you leave your house after the credits as seen at about 1:00 in this video
->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-eoMSw4dM

I have looked through the level scripts in the whole of littleroot town (player house, lab and the town map itself) and I can't find anything. I looked in a-text to search for the text and see if I could work backwards but nope.

uhh, hope this was the appropriate place to ask this...
Last I knew, there is a bug with XSE that prevents you from looking at multiple level scripts that use the same variable setting (or something like that). I think you can find the script by looking at Littleroot Town's map script header from the professional header view.
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
Last I knew, there is a bug with XSE that prevents you from looking at multiple level scripts that use the same variable setting (or something like that). I think you can find the script by looking at Littleroot Town's map script header from the professional header view.
So this is the professional header view of littleroot.
Spoiler:

I am not quite sure what to do with this. My plan was to view the script and remove it since I put the dex upgrade elsewhere.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links