The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:10 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
I know gogojjtech answered this question but I would like to do a more indepth way of answering this question. Mostly because I was thinking about basing a ROM on this exact idea.

Yes he is right, use a few variables or flags, but this is how I would do it.

I would from the start of the game make the flags be set (so it would be setflag 0x1 for good and setflag 0x2 for bad, just as an example)

I would then start every script like this

#org @main
lock
checkflag 0x1
if 0x1 goto @good
checkflag 0x2
if 0x1 goto @bad

And just make my scripts like that. But hey it's your call, do it however you would like.
Two things:
1. Flags 1 and 2 are NOWHERE near safe. Refer to Karatekid's tutorial on vars and flags.
2. If you use a var, use 0 and 1, not 1 and 2. You can save space in the var if you use the first two numbers.
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

I'm trying to add day and night lights based on a setmaptile command, but when ever I step off the map the tiles reset until I walk back in.

I know this is because of the loading of the tiles but is there a way to stop it, or just use tiles that are not visible when you enter a map?
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Charles Dupiau
ROM HACKER

Nature: Timid
I have problems with the connections on advance map. I made a bigger Lavaridge Town in height and width and I arranged its connection with Route 112 on BOTH maps but when I try out the city on VisualBoyAdvance, Lavaridge Town is connected to its border block and I can't fix it! I need help!
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:10 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dupiau View Post
I have problems with the connections on advance map. I made a bigger Lavaridge Town in height and width and I arranged its connection with Route 112 on BOTH maps but when I try out the city on VisualBoyAdvance, Lavaridge Town is connected to its border block and I can't fix it! I need help!
Sounds like if you just expanded the height and width without repointing the map then you have overwritten some other maps data, so this could be your problem. Try reinserting into free space and making sure both maps have the same connection.
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:53 AM
kelewele_

gogojjtech found out a way to fix my problem , didnt even need vars

anyhu, does anyone know a flag for when the player has beaten the league at least twice??
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:29 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

When I press Start, the text box in the bottom is glitched up and I have no idea how to find the image at all! Any tips?
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:15 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dupiau View Post
Delete all map connections for both maps and try again, sometimes A-Map just needs a reboot with map connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
When I press Start, the text box in the bottom is glitched up and I have no idea how to find the image at all! Any tips?
Repoint the text. Search it in a clean rom, then find the pointer, then insert the text into the broken rom and change the pointer to match the new location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Two things:
1. Flags 1 and 2 are NOWHERE near safe. Refer to Karatekid's tutorial on vars and flags.
2. If you use a var, use 0 and 1, not 1 and 2. You can save space in the var if you use the first two numbers.
If you read, this was just a quick example to show how it works. Granted, the flags aren't safe, but it was simply a basic example of how it worked, and not something to be used in game.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; August 26th, 2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Two things:
Yeah I know those flags are not safe, i just wanted to give a simple example.
I too would have used variables because you could keep the variable at 0x8 and when they do something good add 1 to that variable or if they do something bad minus 1 to that variable, to make it more 'make your own choices'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelewele_ View Post
gogojjtech found out a way to fix my problem , didnt even need vars

anyhu, does anyone know a flag for when the player has beaten the league at least twice??
Personally this is what I would do.

As an example let's say the variable 4000 is set to 0x1 after beating your rival (the last elite 4 or whatever)
At the end of the battle the second time, I would have something like

compare 0x4000 0x1
if 0x1 goto @main2

#org @main
setvar 0x4000 0x2

That way when 4000 0x2 is set, that will show you have beaten the leauge twice.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Lamp
Show me your Moves! :P

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Lamp
Sorry for Asking Questions but this one is one i Really don't know how to do: How do i set a Difficulty?(Like Hard Mode,Easy Mode)
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Repoint the text. Search it in a clean rom, then find the pointer, then insert the text into the broken rom and change the pointer to match the new location
Sorry it isn't a text, the background of the text is glitched. All my backups even have this so I don't remember how it could have stuffed. This is the error:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.JPG‎ (17.4 KB, 7 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judai Yuki View Post
Sorry for Asking Questions but this one is one i Really don't know how to do: How do i set a Difficulty?(Like Hard Mode,Easy Mode)
At the start of the game you can make ask the player what mode he wants to play on, and depending on what he picks, you can set a variable.

Let's use 0x4000 as our example variable. So for easy variable 4000 would be set to 0x1, for medium 4000 would be set to 0x2 and for hard 4000 would be set to 0x3.

So every script in your game would start off like this.

compare 0x4000 0x1
if 0x1 goto @easy
compare 0x4000 0x2
if 0x1 goto @medium
compare 0x4000 0x3
if 0x1 goto @hard

And from there you can change what you are going to make the player do depending on what they picked at the start of the ROM.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:39 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Sorry it isn't a text, the background of the text is glitched. All my backups even have this so I don't remember how it could have stuffed. This is the error:
Oh, wow. Usually it is the text. Hmmmmm, let me do some looking, but I think it is just a bad raw.

Apparently, that image doesn't use raws. I hate errors like these. It is an uncompressed structure written to the VRAM. Not fun to fix. It would be easier to prevent the whole help menu thing before it would be to fix this.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; August 26th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Why is it when I go from one map to the other, when I'm in the first map, you can't see any OW sprites in the next map but once you step foot into the next map, the sprites appear? Also for a connecting map, all the tiles get messed up when I cross over.

Check out some of my contributions:
• Check out my easy tile insertion tutorial, Inserting Tiles Into AdvanceMap For Dummies
Click here to find out how to remove clouds from the Emerald titlescreen
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
• Need help fixing a gross bug in your hack? Let me show you how by clicking here

Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Discovery.
Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Fat Kid.

Pokétch ROM Hacking Community Pokémon: Discovery Discovery Twitter Discovery FB IRC Chat
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
Why is it when I go from one map to the other, when I'm in the first map, you can't see any OW sprites in the next map but once you step foot into the next map, the sprites appear? Also for a connecting map, all the tiles get messed up when I cross over.
Okay for this example We are going to say you are going from palette town to route 1.

So let's say we are in palette town and we are going to route 1 and there is a guy at the edge of route 1, I don't think it's possible to see him because you will only see the OWs and sprites in town your already in. So just push the guy back a bit or put him back in palette.

As for the palette thing, the same rules apply, if you are using tiles 01 and 02 in palette town and tiles 03 and 04 in route 1, if you are in palette town, it will show the tileset 01 and 02 no matter where you are looking, the moment you step into route 01, that's when it shows 03 and 04. So when you are transfering over from map to map, you need to make sure you are using the same tilesets.

Or for palette town if you are using 01 and 02, you can use 01 and 03, and just make sure 02 is not visable on the way out from palette town and 03 is not visable on the way out from route 1.

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:26 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
As awipe1 said, you need to push them back. A maps OWs aren't loaded until you step foot on the map itself. A good border is 7 tiles. Never put any OWs withen 7 tiles of a map connection.

Paired with Simba
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Actually, you don't necessarily have to push them back. What the games actually do is put buffer NPCs out-of-bounds in the bordering route- when you go into the neighboring route these get overwritten by the NPC in the new route. You have to tweak a few variables for it though IIRC- look at the Cerulean Cave guard for reference.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:35 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Actually, you don't necessarily have to push them back. What the games actually do is put buffer NPCs out-of-bounds in the bordering route- when you go into the neighboring route these get overwritten by the NPC in the new route. You have to tweak a few variables for it though IIRC- look at the Cerulean Cave guard for reference.
Why, that is simply genius! /me bookmarks post for future use...

Paired with Simba
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:09 AM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Why, that is simply genius! /me bookmarks post for future use...
I'm glad you understood that karatekid552, cause I didn't and I know I will need that eventually. So when I need this information, I'm going to ask you.

Old August 27th, 2013, 08:17 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
I'm glad you understood that karatekid552, cause I didn't and I know I will need that eventually. So when I need this information, I'm going to ask you.
What he said, was set their XY off the map. This will need to be done manually, but it will be a person event that overlaps in more than one place by a forced X/Y which is off the map, making it appear on another map, but loaded by the map you are on.

Paired with Simba
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Opposition Mango

Nature: Timid
K so i've done some searching here and on the rest of the site and I can't find an answer to my problem. Basically I'm having trouble running some of the tools for hacking roms. Do I post my question here or start a new thread?

3DS FC: 1263-7213-3785
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opposition Mango View Post
K so i've done some searching here and on the rest of the site and I can't find an answer to my problem. Basically I'm having trouble running some of the tools for hacking roms. Do I post my question here or start a new thread?
Here is good. If you're talking about the comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx, I have them: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1tfbiqcjidkz49/COMCTL32.OCX https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3itv32wd1mijyo/COMDLG32.OCX
Then follow this tutorial on how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBC8L0glP68

Last edited by GoGoJJTech; August 27th, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
dunning2012
Sparky

Nature: Quirky
Hi just a quick question about sethealingplace.

I am using Fire Red and JPAN's hacking patch.

I've used this script to set the healing place in your bedroom so you end up there when you white out. All works fine but i can't remember how to set it for Viridian City. It keeps sending me back home instead of sending me to the poke centre after I've visited it.

Here's the script for the players home.

'---------------
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x405A 0x104
setvar 0x405B 0x6
setvar 0x405C 0x6
applymovement 0x0 @1
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER @2
waitmovement 0xFF
sethealingplace 0x1
release
end

#org @1
#raw 0x0
#raw 0xFE

#org @2
#raw 0x0
#raw 0xFE

This is a header script
Script type 02
Flag 405A
Value 0000

All works fine, just can't remember what to put for the pokemon centres?
Any help would be great thanks.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunning2012 View Post
Hi just a quick question about sethealingplace.

I am using Fire Red and JPAN's hacking patch.

I've used this script to set the healing place in your bedroom so you end up there when you white out. All works fine but i can't remember how to set it for Viridian City. It keeps sending me back home instead of sending me to the poke centre after I've visited it.

Here's the script for the players home.

'---------------
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x405A 0x104
setvar 0x405B 0x6
setvar 0x405C 0x6
applymovement 0x0 @1
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER @2
waitmovement 0xFF
sethealingplace 0x1
release
end

#org @1
#raw 0x0
#raw 0xFE

#org @2
#raw 0x0
#raw 0xFE

This is a header script
Script type 02
Flag 405A
Value 0000

All works fine, just can't remember what to put for the pokemon centres?
Any help would be great thanks.
Ok so what you do isset the first variable: XXYY. XX is the map number and YY is the bank. If you noticed, map 1 on bank 4 is the player's room. Then the next two are x and y positions.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
dunning2012
Sparky

Nature: Quirky
Ah that was it. So would I use the same script for all the Poke Centers but just change the Setvar to each Map number, x and y coordinates and change the sethealingplace to 0x2, 0x3 ect.?
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunning2012 View Post
Ah that was it. So would I use the same script for all the Poke Centers but just change the Setvar to each Map number, x and y coordinates and change the sethealingplace to 0x2, 0x3 ect.?
The whole point of JPAN's studies was to remove sethealingplace altogether. So that command is just as good as a nop. It does absolutely nothing.

Sponsored Links