The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 13th, 2013 (11:52 AM).
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Don't do that. Use NSE classic.
Then repoint the palette. Then make sure the offset ends in 0,4,8,C.
So 800000 is good, 900004, a0000c, etc.
Make sure all pointers are changed. And if it's supposed to be compressed, do that. Remember, overwriting is BAD, so you probably destroyed some data right after the palette. Backups should help you.
NSE Classic is for OW sprites

I mean the big hero when you choose boy

My hack
Old September 13th, 2013 (11:58 AM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
NSE Classic is for OW sprites

I mean the big hero when you choose boy
Nse classic actually edits anything. In one of the toolbars, there's an "offset" option. Then navigate to the pal offset and image offset. You can edit and import both. Plus it's not only for OWs since it has plugins for items, pokemon battle sprites, icons, and trainers.
Old September 13th, 2013 (07:07 PM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused. :(
Old September 13th, 2013 (07:09 PM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused.
Either 03, 05 or 07 types. On menu close, not no menu close, whatever.
Old September 13th, 2013 (07:35 PM).
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote:
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused.
What kind of level script are you talking about? If you are talking about a 03 One Entering Map script, then it will be executed every time you go into a particular map.
If you are talking about a 02 Validates Values script, then here is an explanation:

When you are creating the script, you do not necessarily need to set a var or a flag to tell the game that said level script has already been executed. So if you want the level script to run every time you go into said map, mark the "flag" box as a value that is not being executed anywhere else, ever. So, if you set your script's "flag" value to 4050, make sure you are not setting that value in your script, if that makes any sense. That way, the game will check if 4050 has been executed and the feedback will be "NO", so the level script will run over and over again.
Sorry if this was a bit of a terrible explanation :3 Here is a tutorial on all kinds of level scripts if you need it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=191500
Old September 13th, 2013 (09:32 PM).
Crystal King

Hey guys! Im really new to pokemon hacking. There's a lot of tools and resources at my disposal, and it's more complicated to start than I originally thought. My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.

My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha. So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald? And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.

I also noticed that there is a common music bug in emerald version when you try to point something to freespace. Are there any other bugs like this that I should know before I try making a hack?

And my last question. When you walk out of a town and into a route in Emerald, the routes and town are connected in one screen (you dont have to go to a door or anything to transition. The transition is unnoticable aside from the route name at the top of the screen). How would I get one side of a town to transition to a route, instead of just having the usual 2x2 block border? (If I didnt explain this correctly, let me know. Its kinda hard to explain)

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Old September 13th, 2013 (10:08 PM). Edited September 13th, 2013 by Renegade.
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal King View Post
Hey guys! Im really new to pokemon hacking. There's a lot of tools and resources at my disposal, and it's more complicated to start than I originally thought. My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.

My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha. So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald? And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.

I also noticed that there is a common music bug in emerald version when you try to point something to freespace. Are there any other bugs like this that I should know before I try making a hack?

And my last question. When you walk out of a town and into a route in Emerald, the routes and town are connected in one screen (you dont have to go to a door or anything to transition. The transition is unnoticable aside from the route name at the top of the screen). How would I get one side of a town to transition to a route, instead of just having the usual 2x2 block border? (If I didnt explain this correctly, let me know. Its kinda hard to explain)

Welcome good sir :3
Okay, since I have some spare time I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Quote:
My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha.
Before I get to what tools you should/can use, I will say: do not use Advanced Map 1.95. It is still in a beta stage (and most likely will never come out of it). 1.95 is very glitchy and can really screw with your ROM in a lot of unthinkable ways. Stick with Advanced Map 1.92, it is the latest/best version of the program out there. Also, yes, you can switch between versions. This will not effect your ROM.

Edit: Alright, I found this on LU-HO's Advanced Map page:
Quote:
LU-HO...
Using AM 1.95 together with AM 1.92:
Attention: if u use extended/32Mb sized Roms, you shouldn't use AdvanceMap 1.92 anymore.
AdvanceMap 1.92 create Errors if you try to save data in extended ROM area (from Offset 1234567 it make 234567).
If you use AdvanceMap 1.95 and want to change Worldmap with AM 1.92, be very careful so you don't damage your Rom...
I'm not sure if this concerns you specifically because I'm not sure what he means by extended/32Mb sized ROMs, but I just thought I should point that little quote out~

Quote:
My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.
You may want to rethink this. Although hacking emerald version may seem like the most logical thing to do for a new hacker, it is actually the very opposite of what you might think. Emerald is the hardest version to work with for many reasons.... If I had these reasons at my disposal, I would share them with you, but I don't. If/when I come up with a list of reasons you should not hack Emerald, I will edit this post. Also, I'm not saying hacking emerald is impossible and you shouldn't do it or anything like that, there are some really good emerald hack such as these: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183562 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292651 . I'm just trying to say that it is the least hacked version and it might be hard to get more complex features into your hack. Pokemon Fire Red is the easiest/most safe ROM to hack because of all of the tutorials and knowledge about it. Ruby is safe to hack but it can sometimes be a little more complex than Fire Red.

Quote:
So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald?
From this statement, it sounds like you have never hacked before, which is totally okay. Just know this: creating a full-blown hack requires a lot of skill and knowledge about hacking, which you obviously don't have (sorry if I'm sounding like a mean guy ). I would say practice/ play around with some tools on a ROM and see what you can make. Once you start familiarizing yourself with Advanced Map (which is the core program of hacking) and other things such as scripting in XSE, you will start to become more fluent with what looks good and what does not. Here are some handy tutorials for beginners on scripting, mapping, ect: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...destinedjagold

Edit: I almost left the thread without giving you some suggestion tools for starting off with Here are some tools you should learn how to use, as they are essential when it comes to creating a common hack: A-MAP: http://ampage.no-ip.info/index.php?seite=advancemap HACKMEW'S TOOL FACTORY: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025 XSE v1.1.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u4...83qq12/XSE.rar

Quote:
And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.
Like I said earlier, yes switching between Advanced Map versions is okay.

Quote:
The best way to find bugs is to experiment with hacking the game. You'll run into tons of little glitches here and there, and it will frustrate you. Remember, you can always ask about them on this thread or try to figure them out yourself

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I think you are talking about Map Connections. There are a lot of tutorials on map connections around PC. Here are some: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjGR6TbC6CA
Sorry if my answer was a bit cheap, but if you search for some tutorials on this question I'm sure you will find some Also I'm running out of time... :/

Quote:
Your welcome and good luck~
Old September 13th, 2013 (10:33 PM).
Crystal King

Haha maybe I came off a tad too noobish haha. I have experience working with Lunar Magic and Zelda Classic editors, so I at least know a lot of basic stuff, like working with a hex editor and screen design. I've always wanted to try and learn scripting, but I failed horribly with ASM back in the day. Long story short, I'd probably say Im at least somewhat proficient with ROM hacking. But starting with a new game, and new tools, I wouldnt think I'd know too much to start.

After reading your response, I'll probably switch to Ruby, since it would be safer but still contain the tiles I would want to use. I know I could import the tiles to FR if I really wanted to, but I'm not really good with tilework in any sense.

And yes, turns out I was talking about Map Connections. Thank you for pointing me to that tutorial, I didnt see it when I went through the tutorial section myself. It looks like it will help me out a whole lot haha
"Listen, in this world...wherever there is light there are also shadows. As long as the concept of "winners" exists, there will also be "losers". The selfish desire of wanting to maintain the peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love. It's a casual relationship that can't be avoided...normally..."

~Naruto Chapter #602

"You and I combined have the strength to put falling stars back in the sky. There's no line -- no boundries to the power that resides. Peek within our being. The benign become sublime and our true might ignites a whole host of possibilities before our eyes."

~Castle in the Sky <- Link

Planning stages for PKMN: Gemlight
Old September 13th, 2013 (10:49 PM).
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Despite everything stated above which is correct you need to make sure that the variable value stays the same to reactivate. eg: 0x4000 0x0000 should always stay as 0x0000.
Old September 14th, 2013 (02:17 PM). Edited September 14th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Despite everything stated above which is correct you need to make sure that the variable value stays the same to reactivate. eg: 0x4000 0x0000 should always stay as 0x0000.
Those are temp vars. They may stay the same, but a TON of GF scripts use them, so it isn't a good idea. What I do, is pick a var, and call it my "0" var. In the first script of the game, I guarantee it to be 0 with a setvar, and then I use that for any events that are going to happen again, and again, but require a var.

Quote:
Either 03, 05 or 07 types. On menu close, not no menu close, whatever.
These have a VERY limited range of command. No. Nope. No.

Paired with Simba
Old September 14th, 2013 (05:26 PM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
What kind of level script are you talking about? If you are talking about a 03 One Entering Map script, then it will be executed every time you go into a particular map.
If you are talking about a 02 Validates Values script, then here is an explanation:

When you are creating the script, you do not necessarily need to set a var or a flag to tell the game that said level script has already been executed. So if you want the level script to run every time you go into said map, mark the "flag" box as a value that is not being executed anywhere else, ever. So, if you set your script's "flag" value to 4050, make sure you are not setting that value in your script, if that makes any sense. That way, the game will check if 4050 has been executed and the feedback will be "NO", so the level script will run over and over again.
Sorry if this was a bit of a terrible explanation :3 Here is a tutorial on all kinds of level scripts if you need it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=191500
Thanks! :) I think what I need is 04 though, since what I want is when the player enters a house, they get instantly warped to another place. Would this be right, if so would I do the same as you described?
Old September 15th, 2013 (02:48 AM).
oli25

Nature: Adamant
Ok, so I am completly new to the hacking. The thing I would like to do is switch some pokemon sprites in HG/SS into the ones from D/P/P. Could you help me with that? What tools do I need? Perhaps there is already tutorial about it, I didn't find one.
Old September 15th, 2013 (08:17 AM).
SmgC

Nature: Modest
I don't know if this problem I'm having is my fault or the programs fault (most likely my fault), but it seems that I can't use Advance Map (1.92). Every time I change the map design of a room it loads said room black.
For example, when I changed the layout of the main characters bedroom to give it a new feel it looked perfectly fine in Advance Map. But when I loaded the ROM (and skimmed through Oak's introduction) it loaded a black screen. Luckily this was a back up.
I made another back up and this time changed the main character's living room (the one where "Mum" always is), it loaded the main character's room fine (note I having changed that room yet) but when I went downstairs it loaded a black screen again.
Am I doing something wrong, is anyone else having these problems, is there a save function I might not be clicking?
Thank you,
SmgC
Old September 15th, 2013 (09:21 AM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmgC View Post
I don't know if this problem I'm having is my fault or the programs fault (most likely my fault), but it seems that I can't use Advance Map (1.92). Every time I change the map design of a room it loads said room black.
For example, when I changed the layout of the main characters bedroom to give it a new feel it looked perfectly fine in Advance Map. But when I loaded the ROM (and skimmed through Oak's introduction) it loaded a black screen. Luckily this was a back up.
I made another back up and this time changed the main character's living room (the one where "Mum" always is), it loaded the main character's room fine (note I having changed that room yet) but when I went downstairs it loaded a black screen again.
Am I doing something wrong, is anyone else having these problems, is there a save function I might not be clicking?
Thank you,
SmgC
I'm going to guess you changed the size of those maps too. For some reason, those maps have major issues with resizing. I have no idea why. For my hack, I needed to resize, so I created a new bank with new rooms for the players house and it worked fine.

If you didn't resize, then I have no idea why you would be having this issue.

Paired with Simba
Old September 15th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
SmgC

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I'm going to guess you changed the size of those maps too. For some reason, those maps have major issues with resizing. I have no idea why. For my hack, I needed to resize, so I created a new bank with new rooms for the players house and it worked fine.

If you didn't resize, then I have no idea why you would be having this issue.
I resized it, maybe one day you could teach me how to make a rom with new sized rooms, until I have the time (and until your willing to do so) I will have to do without.
Thank You for your help,
SmgC
Old September 15th, 2013 (11:26 AM).
PokéMew151
A quest Within the Endo Region

Ok i have hacked for several months now and i am having problems with putting d/p/ pokemon in pokemon fire red. I am using unlz gba obviously and i find a diamond pearl sprite. If i use starly for example, when it appears in the wild the backround of it shows on it and part of the bottom of it is messed up. The first time i imported it on pidgey it wasnt indexed, so i changed it to 16 colors on infranview, then i wrote it to the rom and it said its aborting and its too big. After that i checked off everything besides auto abort and it let me write it to my hack. Thats when the messed up starly appeared in the game. Does anyone know what to do?

Introducing my new hack Pokémon Fuchsia,
being released in early 2015!

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
PokéMew151
Old September 15th, 2013 (12:16 PM). Edited September 15th, 2013 by Renegade.
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéMew151 View Post
Ok i have hacked for several months now and i am having problems with putting d/p/ pokemon in pokemon fire red. I am using unlz gba obviously and i find a diamond pearl sprite. If i use starly for example, when it appears in the wild the backround of it shows on it and part of the bottom of it is messed up. The first time i imported it on pidgey it wasnt indexed, so i changed it to 16 colors on infranview, then i wrote it to the rom and it said its aborting and its too big. After that i checked off everything besides auto abort and it let me write it to my hack. Thats when the messed up starly appeared in the game. Does anyone know what to do?
There's a MUCH easier method of inserting Pokemon sprites using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196143

This program will index the image for you and inserting is super easy. Here's a tutorial for inserting sprites with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwzQLxGCQ70

Edit: You'll be needing these as well:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2n...le_Sprites.rar
That file has all 4th gen and 5th gen Pokemon Sprites completely compatible with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor.
(Here is the original link to the sprites: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728)
Old September 15th, 2013 (12:17 PM). Edited September 15th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote:
Ummmm, are they the original 80x80 ones from DP? Or resized 64x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmgC View Post
I resized it, maybe one day you could teach me how to make a rom with new sized rooms, until I have the time (and until your willing to do so) I will have to do without.
Thank You for your help,
SmgC
1) File -> Map -> Create new map.

2) Change the settings you want (the name part is bogus, don't even bother.)

3) File -> Map -> Insert Map

4) Choose a map bank and map #. You can easily create new map banks and such in this area.

5) Edit your new map.

6) Be creative!

Note: If File -> Map is grayed out, it means you need to have a map already open to use it. It doesn't matter what map, it won't make a difference.

Paired with Simba
Old September 15th, 2013 (03:16 PM).
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Is it just me, or does Oak's Tutorial type of battle go crazy when the player uses a 2nd Pokémon?
Old September 15th, 2013 (03:19 PM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Is it just me, or does Oak's Tutorial type of battle go crazy when the player uses a 2nd Pokémon?
It also goes crazy if you throw a ball. The point is, it's not programmed to handle a ball (because you have no balls in FR at the time) or a second pokemon (because you're not supposed to have hat either). Just kinda follow the set standard of FR up until that battle.
Old September 16th, 2013 (07:47 AM). Edited September 16th, 2013 by PokéMew151.
PokéMew151
A quest Within the Endo Region

I downloaded APSE, and the sprites look great now!Thank you for your help and the video, CrystalStatic.

I don't know if this is a common problem or not, but in APSE I tried to insert a png image of shadow lugia on normal lugia, and its colors where all messed up. I tried this on other pokemon too but did the same. Its colors turn from black, blue and red to completely white on any pokemon I try editing it with. It is also a 64 by 64 pic so the size is right. Is there a way I can fix this?

Introducing my new hack Pokémon Fuchsia,
being released in early 2015!

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
PokéMew151
Old September 16th, 2013 (10:04 AM).
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

When I use my Warp command in a script tile the message plays but when it warps the screen just goes black?

can someone help?

My hack
Old September 16th, 2013 (11:19 AM). Edited September 16th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
I downloaded APSE, and the sprites look great now!Thank you for your help and the video, CrystalStatic.

I don't know if this is a common problem or not, but in APSE I tried to insert a png image of shadow lugia on normal lugia, and its colors where all messed up. I tried this on other pokemon too but did the same. Its colors turn from black, blue and red to completely white on any pokemon I try editing it with. It is also a 64 by 64 pic so the size is right. Is there a way I can fix this?
Press synchronize palettes to get the palettes in. No need to index.

Quote:
When I use my Warp command in a script tile the message plays but when it warps the screen just goes black?

can someone help?
Stop using A-map 1.95 then use 1.92 to port that map to another bank/map slot.
Old September 16th, 2013 (01:20 PM).
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

Quote:
Press synchronize palettes to get the palettes in. No need to index.

Stop using A-map 1.95 then use 1.92 to port that map to another bank/map slot.
I already use 1.92 and the map is for pallet town and that has 4.9 maps already and if i do 4.10 it always goes to black when i warp

My hack
Old September 16th, 2013 (01:21 PM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
I already use 1.92 and the map is for pallet town and that has 4.9 maps already and if i do 4.10 it always goes to black when i warp
Did you change warps though?

Sponsored Links