Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2013 (01:31 PM).
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
Did you change warps though?
Yes i did but it always goes black around 4.10 4.11 4.12 and when i completely rebuild the map its fine....

My hack
Old September 16th, 2013 (01:32 PM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Rezordaxx:
Yes i did but it always goes black around 4.10 4.11 4.12 and when i completely rebuild the map its fine....
rebuilding is what you want since if the map is corrupted, it's corrupted.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old September 16th, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Asks many questions!

rebuilding is what you want since if the map is corrupted, it's corrupted.
Allright rebuilding for the 3rd time then *sigh*

My hack
Old September 16th, 2013 (06:05 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Hey people~
Can someone point me to a tutorial for inserting new abilities for Pokemon? I don't want to replace any already existing abilities, I want to add new ones. Thanks~
Old September 16th, 2013 (08:09 PM).

I watched Fuzzyketchuptuts video on hacking the title screen from his youtube show hack with me and I followed the directions but when I get the the title screen it is just completely black. I dont know what I did wrong. Ive done it twelve time step by step and it never works. Can anyone help?
Old September 16th, 2013 (10:53 PM).
Exploring the world of Kalos!

Hey. I'm about to insert some HGSS sprites onto my FireRed ROM using Wichu's Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor, so I just wanted to ask…

If I change the palettes of a certain Pokémon (say Bulbasaur), will another palette in-game be affected? Do every Pokémon use a different sprite palette, or are there only a select pool of palettes to choose from?

Old September 16th, 2013 (11:12 PM).
Divider of Zero

Quote originally posted by Gigabyyyte:
Hey. I'm about to insert some HGSS sprites onto my FireRed ROM using Wichu's Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor, so I just wanted to ask…

If I change the palettes of a certain Pokémon (say Bulbasaur), will another palette in-game be affected? Do every Pokémon use a different sprite palette, or are there only a select pool of palettes to choose from?
Each Pokemon sprite has their own individual palette, it's just the overworlds and tiles that have a select pool of available palettes.
Old September 17th, 2013 (12:00 AM).

Hey, thanks for that. Umm, do the trainers have their own palettes too?

Old September 17th, 2013 (07:53 AM).
Divider of Zero

Quote originally posted by BlackHoleJanis:
I watched Fuzzyketchuptuts video on hacking the title screen from his youtube show hack with me and I followed the directions but when I get the the title screen it is just completely black. I dont know what I did wrong. Ive done it twelve time step by step and it never works. Can anyone help?
Are you hacking fire red or ruby?

Hey, thanks for that. Umm, do the trainers have their own palettes too?
Yeah, the trainer pictures have their own palettes too. It's just their overworlds that don't.
Old September 17th, 2013 (08:50 AM).
Asks many questions!

Quote originally posted by Teh Blazer:
Are you hacking fire red or ruby?

Yeah, the trainer pictures have their own palettes too. It's just their overworlds that don't.
Yes I am hacking fire red.

My hack
Old September 17th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Nature: Quirky
I was wondering how to go about editing Oak's introductions in the beginning of the game. No, not his sprite, but what he says.

Also the stuff before that with the white paper-ish thing on the blue background with the Pikachu.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old September 17th, 2013 (11:21 AM). Edited September 17th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by BlackHoleJanis:
Made sure the offset ended in 0,4,8, or C? Also Lz-77 compressed?

Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
Hey people~
Can someone point me to a tutorial for inserting new abilities for Pokemon? I don't want to replace any already existing abilities, I want to add new ones. Thanks~
ASM, and repointing the effect table, and name table.

Quote originally posted by Winter Wonderland:
I was wondering how to go about editing Oak's introductions in the beginning of the game. No, not his sprite, but what he says.

Also the stuff before that with the white paper-ish thing on the blue background with the Pikachu.

A-text. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf0a7pwm5fiulyl/AdvanceText.zip

Old September 17th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
ASM, and repointing the effect table, and name table.
...Excuse me? That doesn't help whatsoever. I don't know where any of that is or how to edit it.
That's why I asked for a tutorial because I can not find one :/
Old September 17th, 2013 (01:20 PM).
Gold Tier

...Excuse me? That doesn't help whatsoever. I don't know where any of that is or how to edit it.
There is none, and I have no knowledge of the effect table, but the name table's offset is in PGE's ini file. There is no tutorial either. Jambo51 did it, but he quit, so gl getting info.

Old September 17th, 2013 (07:52 PM).
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
There is only 2 tables related to abilities:
Abilities names table located at 0x08930D00
Abilities descriptions pointers tables at 0x0824FC40
Each abilities has its own "checkpoint"(s), that's why you will not find a tutorial for adding abilities any soon. Since almost every single new ability requires a unique ASM code. That's why it is not easy to make some tutorial for it...
Old September 17th, 2013 (11:16 PM).

Um, sorry to interrupt. Got another question here.

Do Red and Leaf's backsprites have their own palettes too? Just making sure.

Old September 18th, 2013 (07:55 AM).
Put On The Red Light!
Silver Tier

I've been looking for d/p icons to edit on advance Pokémon icon editor 32x64 icons. Can anyone send me a link to icons or a thread with them?
Old September 18th, 2013 (08:44 AM). Edited September 18th, 2013 by daniilS.
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

When trying to apply a patch to my hack, I get an error message. If I still patch it using NUPS or LIPS, pallet town gets messed up. Any ideas how to fix it?

(It is based on the right rom version, and has the original size)
Old September 18th, 2013 (08:44 AM). Edited September 18th, 2013 by PokéMew.
Put On The Red Light!
Silver Tier

Originally posted by Gigabyyyte

Do Red and Leaf's
backsprites have their own palettes too? Just making sure.

Yes, red and leaf's backsprite do in fact have their own palettes.

Quote originally posted by daniilS:
When trying to apply a patch to my hack, I get an error message. If I still patch it using NUPS or LIPS, pallet town gets messed up. Any ideas how to fix it?
You try to fix it by editing/redoing pallet town in advanced map after the patch.
Old September 18th, 2013 (11:17 AM). Edited September 18th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by PokéMew151:
I've been looking for d/p icons to edit on advance Pokémon icon editor 32x64 icons. Can anyone send me a link to icons or a thread with them?
I have a .rar file. Use Winrar to open it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8d64101mev1vo5/Icons.rar

Do Red and Leaf's backsprites have their own palettes too? Just making sure.
Yes, everything other than NPCs (OWs) have their own palettes.

Old September 18th, 2013 (06:34 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
When he says it requires ASM, your first thought should be: "hey let's learn ASM", not "Hell no, someone tell me how". It really isn't that hard; it is mostly logic. The hardest part is the syntax, but there are plenty of pdf's provided by ARM itself on that subject. I keep one on my desktop at all times because you can't remember everything.

As kurapika said, each ability has a unique ASM routine supporting it. So, in order to add more, you need to write some ASM. Never a better time to learn than when it has a purpose!

-------
/me wants to write an ASM editor with autofill and color coding someday... That'd be sick:p

Paired with Simba
Old September 18th, 2013 (07:55 PM).
Put On The Red Light!
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Winter Wonderland:

There are other ways to do this, but the best and easiest way is to use advance text. This goes for both the words with the pikachu in the beginning and the intro(professor oak's words)
Old September 18th, 2013 (08:58 PM).

Would it be possible to create a hack of Emerald in which it would be possible to catch every single pokemon (Gen I-V) without trading? Even better, would it be possible to implement the maps from the corresponding maps of each generation so that the gyms and such could be completed for each region, and somehow connect these regions so it somewhat mirrors that show in the sense that you are the same person going to more than one region, and kind of starting over? Sorry for the run-on, having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.
Old September 18th, 2013 (10:54 PM).
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Quote originally posted by spence909:
Would it be possible to create a hack of Emerald in which it would be possible to catch every single pokemon (Gen I-V) without trading? Even better, would it be possible to implement the maps from the corresponding maps of each generation so that the gyms and such could be completed for each region, and somehow connect these regions so it somewhat mirrors that show in the sense that you are the same person going to more than one region, and kind of starting over? Sorry for the run-on, having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.
The shortest answer is: everything is possible. However, you would need an infinite amount Of time, knowledge, and skills.
The first problem is that Emerald is a great base, but it isn't supported much, so you should find out stuff by yourself. Also, nobody has EVER completely inserted all Pokémon into a hack. Jambo51 has made progress, but he quite hacking.
With the maps comes the problem that gen 4&5 don't have maps like before, they have 3d models. This can especially be seen in the Distortion World, and a big part of gen5 maps.
Also, if you want al the regions, you would either have to reset progress at start of a new region which would make it like separate games, to alter the level cap, or make all Pokémon level up very slowly and edit the exp gain system. (Like Deoxys has with EV's). The last two are nearly impossible.
Old September 18th, 2013 (10:57 PM).
Divider of Zero

Quote originally posted by spence909:
Unfortunately, many people have thought about this idea but realized how impractical it is. Going through every region would cause you to have all level 100 pokemon by at least the third region, as well as it getting boring from the same storyline every region. The short answer is no, it's just far too cray for a game. It is possible to expand the pokedex and make maps of a region, but it would take up too much space to recreate every region in one ROM and too boring to take off.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)