The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Do your offsets end in 0, or a multiple of 4? (0, 4, 8, C)? The game processes most images in 32bits, so they MUST be aligned properly.

....image extensions? Please tell me you used a converter and didn't just change the file extension....

Also, did you remove the unused tiles as GoGoJJTech told you to?
I've saved the image as gif, png and bmp using photoshop, even tried using different offsets with the same endings as the original images and just 0/4/8/c, but it doesn't work.

Here you see the original image below, and mine above:
Mine uses one darker shade the original doesn't, but it is the palette found with vba, and the first tiles which use this shade do load normally. So, which tiles should I remove?

PS: here is the puzzle in solved forme:

I would really appreciate it if you or anybody could help me.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
I've saved the image as gif, png and bmp using photoshop, even tried using different offsets with the same endings as the original images and just 0/4/8/c, but it doesn't work.

Here you see the original image below, and mine above:
Mine uses one darker shade the original doesn't, but it is the palette found with vba, and the first tiles which use this shade do load normally. So, which tiles should I remove?

PS: here is the puzzle in solved forme:

I would really appreciate it if you or anybody could help me.
Can you post all of the layers from the map viewer? All 4 map layers and all 4 tile layers. Then I can see what the game is really doing here.

Paired with Simba
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
For some reason both Viridian forest and Pallet town in my hack share the same name. If I change the name to Cobalt Town the forest is named that too. If I change the name of the forest to Cobalt Forest the town is called that as well. Any way to seperate them?
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
For some reason both Viridian forest and Pallet town in my hack share the same name. If I change the name to Cobalt Town the forest is named that too. If I change the name of the forest to Cobalt Forest the town is called that as well. Any way to seperate them?
The most obvious reason for this is that the pointers that should point to two separate names, point to a single one instead.

As an example;

Code:
Original FireRed (false values!)
----------------------------
10 A7 4B 08 ---> Pallet Town
31 A7 4B 08 ---> Viridian Forest
Code:
In your hacked rom (again, false values too of course)
---------------------------
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town (but should be Cobalt Forest)
The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer to the text string "Cobalt Town". There are two of them since both Cobalt Town and Cobalt Forest share the same pointer. Change either one of them to point to blank space and write either "Cobalt Town" or "Cobalt Forest" there. You're done.

There is a tutorial about text editing (by hacking Pokemon FireRed) with a hex editor in romhacking(dot)net.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:44 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer.
I have seen these types of posts, but I always forget to ask about them.
Can anyone tell me what a "table file" is, it's purpose, and if it's needed, then where can I possible get one?
Thanks~
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:00 AM
miksy91

You know, one thing I really hate about this database is that it tends to crash every time you have finished writing something, click Reply button and forget to copy paste the text you have made up somewhere safe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
I have seen these types of posts, but I always forget to ask about them.
Can anyone tell me what a "table file" is, it's purpose, and if it's needed, then where can I possible get one?
Thanks~
Table file contains information about how the text data of the game works. If you know what you're doing (it's kinda simple really!), you can easily search for any kinds of text strings of the game by using a hex editor and table file as help.

Pokemon FireRed table file looks like this

You can see that for example big letters are described with bytes between BB and D4 and small letters with bytes between D5 and EE. In other words, text string "Hey!" would be written in the game as:

Code:
C2 D9 ED AB
because

Code:
C2=H
D9=e
ED=y
AB=!
And as an example, to for example find the pointer that points to text string "Pallet Town", you would first look for:

Code:
CA D5 E0 E0 D9 E8...
By doing that, the hex editor would look for where bytes CA D5 E0 E0 D9 E8... are stored (which is printed as text "Pallet..." in the game). Once you come up with a offset which would for example be "0x43A890", you form bytes out of that:

Code:
43 A8 90
rotate them

Code:
90 A8 43
and add 08 to the end

Code:
90 A8 43 08
That is how you find a pointer to a certain text string.

Hacks I support

Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:11 AM
Lory92

Hello, do you know if anyone has found out a way to edit the world map in 4th or 5th generation games? Thanks
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Nhadaly

Hello, i really hate the Gym Battle and Elite Four music in Pokemom Black, but i loved the music of the Gym battles and the Elite Four in Gen 2 and 3.

Is there any way to replace the Pokemon Black Gym and Elite Four battle music with the Gen 2/Gen 3 ones?

http://www.youtube.com/user/CounterstrikerGS
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Dark Sneasel
Big Daddy in the House!
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Anybody know where I can find .iee Pokemon Icons to use for IconEd? That's the only type of file you can import...
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:53 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
The most obvious reason for this is that the pointers that should point to two separate names, point to a single one instead.

As an example;

Code:
Original FireRed (false values!)
----------------------------
10 A7 4B 08 ---> Pallet Town
31 A7 4B 08 ---> Viridian Forest
Code:
In your hacked rom (again, false values too of course)
---------------------------
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town
2A B4 8C 08 --> Cobalt Town (but should be Cobalt Forest)
The solution to fixing the problem is as simple as getting a hex editor, a table file and searching for the pointer to the text string "Cobalt Town". There are two of them since both Cobalt Town and Cobalt Forest share the same pointer. Change either one of them to point to blank space and write either "Cobalt Town" or "Cobalt Forest" there. You're done.

There is a tutorial about text editing (by hacking Pokemon FireRed) with a hex editor in romhacking(dot)net.
Thanks for the help, I did what you said but the problem is that there are more than two "Cobalt Town" in the hex editor. Wouldn't things like the world map have it as well?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sneasel View Post
Anybody know where I can find .iee Pokemon Icons to use for IconEd? That's the only type of file you can import...
Here's a better icon-editing tool.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196143

:3
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
Thanks for the help, I did what you said but the problem is that there are more than two "Cobalt Town" in the hex editor. Wouldn't things like the world map have it as well?
There was supposed to be only one "Cobalt Town" unless you have mentioned it elsewhere in the game as well. For example in the intro "Welcome to Cobalt Town!" or making people talk about it etc. Though for example worldmap could have its own name but it wouldn't make any sense if it did (due to a thing called disassembly which I shouldn't try to explain here).

But sometimes, it's better to just play around and start doing crazy changes. (Of course, making backup files before this!)
As an example, you could try to change half of the "Cobalt Town"s first, then check if that affects the town map names. If it doesn't, the town map name is in the other half. And keep using this kind of a method until you find it. There are better ways! But they often require knowing how to read program's code - assembly.

By the way, where in the rom are these text strings located exactly? If they're in the end of it (after 0x7A... or wherever the FF FF FF FF... data starts in original FireRed), they are written by you, and most likely, as text data loaded through some script. If even one them is somewhere before the FF FF data, they're edited from the original data without repointing. These that are located before this FF FF... data, probably belong to things such as world map, or town map names.

Though I have to admit that it's almost impossible for me to help out from here. If you can give more information, like offsets where "Cobalt Town" is mentioned, that would already help out a lot.

And by the way, make a table file which you can use alongside hex editor if you didn't yet.
You can make a table file by copy pasting the table file data (which was in the url I linked to djg in my previous post here) to a text document (.txt), saving it and finally, changing the file extension from .txt to .tbl.

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; September 23rd, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

In Emerald, I know that tag team battles are possible like with Steven against team plasma with specials. Is this possible in ruby?
• Check out the Ruby rombase sound list I contributed by clicking here
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:30 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
In Emerald, I know that tag team battles are possible like with Steven against team plasma with specials. Is this possible in ruby?
Not without a really heavy asm hack.

Paired with Simba
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Miizhen

Hi, I’m relatively new to hacking. I’m looking for some advice/help on the topic of changing an items use in fire red. I’m looking to have an item that can be used in battle to deal damage. (I should mention I’m not exactly making a “true pokemon” hack. So I can spare the loss of certain existing items and attacks.) So right now my plan is to edit an attack to designate for the purpose of said item. Then edit the script of an item like “X Attack” to use the designated attack, instead of giving a buff. My problem is, I’m not exactly sure where or how to find the offset or pointers for attack & item scripts. I’ve found a few item editing tutorials, but I’ve not found one that sheds light on my issue. So if anyone could direct me to a tutorial or provide some advice, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:53 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miizhen View Post
Hi, I’m relatively new to hacking. I’m looking for some advice/help on the topic of changing an items use in fire red. I’m looking to have an item that can be used in battle to deal damage. (I should mention I’m not exactly making a “true pokemon” hack. So I can spare the loss of certain existing items and attacks.) So right now my plan is to edit an attack to designate for the purpose of said item. Then edit the script of an item like “X Attack” to use the designated attack, instead of giving a buff. My problem is, I’m not exactly sure where or how to find the offset or pointers for attack & item scripts. I’ve found a few item editing tutorials, but I’ve not found one that sheds light on my issue. So if anyone could direct me to a tutorial or provide some advice, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
You have no idea what you are getting into. In a game right now, can you deal damage with an item? No. That means that there is no coding in the game to allow this, so, you need to code your own. Items have two effects: in-battle and out-of-battle. You need to find a way to write a new in battle effect that subtracts HP from the opponents pokemon.

I have never looked at in-battle effects of items, but out-of-battle ones are coded in mostly pure ASM. I would assume it would be the same for in-battle, though those might use battle scripting.

Paired with Simba
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Garuga17

Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.
Gameshark codes don't work that way - they can't be used to hack the game to function in a way that it's not made to do. There is a huge difference with a code that can be used to change the encountered wild pokemon for instance.
There is a memory slot in ram where the encountered pokemon is stored, so you can use a gameshark code to modify the values there. However, for example naming the main character is a whole asm routine that would have to be hacked to allow more characters for the main player. This can't be achieved by editing ram data with gameshark codes, but rather by hacking the game itself (hex editors, asm editors, such).

Hacks I support

Old September 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Nelsyv

[EMERALD] How do you change the town map to add a second region and display that region's map when in it? (like in ShinyGold/LiquidCrystal or some equivalent) Not quite a simple question, but I didn't know where to ask :\ I know this might be is probably way out of my league, but I figure if anyone knows how, they would be here.

I've googled and searched extensively, but cannot find anything on the subject so I made a PC account to ask
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsyv View Post
[EMERALD] How do you change the town map to add a second region and display that region's map when in it? (like in ShinyGold/LiquidCrystal or some equivalent) Not quite a simple question, but I didn't know where to ask :\ I know this might be is probably way out of my league, but I figure if anyone knows how, they would be here.

I've googled and searched extensively, but cannot find anything on the subject so I made a PC account to ask
You need ASM knowledge, and if you noticed, those hacks are FR hacks (Better since the engines and all that)

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?
There is a cheat engine built right into VBA that gives out RAM offsets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
Have fun recodeing the storage of the game. It can be done, but the game only allocates 8 bytes to naming the player (I have seen the storage area myself personally and changed it manually), so it won't be easy. You would also have to go in and edit the all of the name input screens.

This stuff is required to be hard coded to the rom, if it is done. There is no way possible that gameshark could do it alone... (Well, maybe, but the code would be absolutely massive and not worth it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuga17 View Post
Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?
As long as the script is shorter or the same size (in bytes, not lines) than the original. Hit F1 in XSE to bring up the command database, which tells you how many bytes each command needs.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; September 25th, 2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
arktyz

Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Zivlok

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktyz View Post
Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?
Well, the easiest thing is you can go into AdvanceMap, into the Movement Permissions tab, and change the permissions so you can, like, walk on water I guess?? But you say you want the player to use items to activate those powers. I know in RSE there was one item called Go-Goggles that allowed you to pass through the harsh desert winds in Route 111, so there is functionality built into the game for Key Items allowing you to pass through certain tiles.

I took a quick look at Route 111 in AdvanceMap, and it seems that the functionality to get into the desert dependent on whether you have the right item is not based on Movement Permissions, but on a bevy of Scripts on all the tiles leading to all entrances/exits to the sandy part of the route.

So, I guess try diving into those scripts? I'm a total noob at this stuff, though, so those are just my ideas. Hopefully someone less ignorant than I can help you!

Also I have some questions to ask of the thread:
(But I didn't want to double post - also, please note that I'm hacking Emerald)

1. Here's the big one: So, I'm editing Littleroot Town in AdvanceMap, and after a couple slow hours of learning the various shortcuts to the program and such, I cobbled together a decent town:

Now, it's not perfect (I can't believe I forgot to put the little door spot thingy for that fourth house), but it's a start. Unfortunately, when I open it up in the actual game:

I'm traipsing through a featureless black void, which strangely appears to be filled with tall grass. I have limited mobility, and I can see the homeless fat man in the blue shirt sometimes, but it's obviously not what I'm looking for.

Now, I think I know what caused this, but it's something that I'm going to do anyway - I removed all the scripts from the Littleroot overworld map (not any of the houses yet). I also removed the vans. I wanted to be able to just wander around my new starter town without triggering any events beyond talking to people, signposts, and entering warps.

So, realizing what happened, I went into the Van Interior map, and noticed that the warp was going to some strange map bank - the warp number, map bank, and map are all 127. Seeing as the highest map bank I could find was Route 124 on 33.0, I changed the Van Interior warps to go to Littleroot at 0.9, and made a new warp to just chill kind of in the middle, to see if it worked. It didn't.

Also, even though I removed all the scripts, from both the Littleroot map and the Van Interior, I still automagically follow my Mom into my house (through the void), and I can't figure out why. Ultimately, I want to remove the entire van sequence, but for now, I would just settle for magically warping out of the middle of a van into the middle of vanless small town that ISN'T an inescapable black void of soul-crushing terror.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

2. As you'll notice in the first picture, the exits to my new starter town are on the sides - to the left is the first route, and to the right is a small copse of trees in which you wake up from a dream and begin the game. I've finished making the map of the copse, and am ready to make a warp/edit the map connections to connect it to the main part of my starter town. However, I made a new map instead of editing an old one for this. I named it BRIGHTROOST TOWN (1.5) (that's the name of my new starter town), but it's in the "Map Files" folder instead of "From Header". Is there a way for me to move it to the Brightroost Town folder in "From Header", for organizational purposes? Also, is just naming it with "(1.5)" enough, or do I have to set the map bank and stuff some other way? How do I go about doing that?

Sorry for the long and complicated questions, but I'm hoping that to someone more experienced than I, they do seem like simple questions. If this was the wrong place to post this, then I'm sorry and it'd be great if someone could tell me where.

Also, if someone could make it be October 12th already, I would be much obliged. My wanting for X/Y has morphed from simple need to an all-consuming desire.

Sponsored Links