Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Hacker Bisharp:
Which is the special that in emerald actives the national dex?
Special 0x1F3

Really easy to find on this forum,

My hack
Old October 19th, 2013 (03:34 PM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
Quote originally posted by PokéMew151:
Simple. Make the flowers have the rocksmash script, then you can change the wild pokemon in advanced map under wild pokemon, then select rocksmash. You could also just make the rocksmash rocks into flowers in the block editor in a-map to get the rock crush theme on the flower.
How do I make them have that script?
Old October 19th, 2013 (03:35 PM).

Is It possible to change the move-set of a Pokemon as it evolves? Not merely its learn-sets, but the moves it currently knows - to change as it evolves?

For example, say I had a Grass type Pokemon, like a tree - which I want to evolve into a burning fire Pokemon, and then into a ash-ish Pokemon, in a sort of progressive evolution?

It would start out as a grass type, become a fire type, and end up a rock type.

is there a way to force it to forget the Grass Type moves - and likewise its Fire Type moves, upon evolution? I don't want the rock type Pokemon running around with access to fire blast and razor leaf.

Any Ideas?
Old October 19th, 2013 (04:42 PM).

as adding more blades to the overworld in pokemon emerald
Old October 19th, 2013 (09:24 PM).

Quote originally posted by Rezordaxx:
thanks but i didnt change the pallete, i used the original pallete

paint xp -> paste from -> past the new hero over the old one -> save -> import -> done
My experience in FE ROM hacking tells me that you should use a program like Usenti, which preserves the indexed palette, rather than Paint, but it might not apply to Pokemon hacking
Old October 19th, 2013 (10:58 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Agro:
My experience in FE ROM hacking tells me that you should use a program like Usenti, which preserves the indexed palette, rather than Paint, but it might not apply to Pokemon hacking
Paint works well but it's not the only alternative that's the magic of ROM hacking

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 20th, 2013 (12:34 AM).

Hi

Can someone guide me to a place were I can read more about how this 6-Hex code works? Im primary wondering if everything (text boxes, trainers etc) is saved somewhere in this "list", how much extra editing space I have, and if Im safe from messups always using the codes I get from an Empty Space Finder program. Im editing Fire Red.
Old October 20th, 2013 (05:51 AM). Edited October 20th, 2013 by PokéMew.
Put On The Red Light!
Silver Tier

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Branellope:
How do I make them have that script?
I would drag the rocksmash event into the flower, but since there are lots of flowers and not alot of rocksmash rocks, and it will say smash rock instead of flower, you will need to find the script on google. Just search rock smash script or something like that and insert it from xse to a-map. I will let you know if I find the script if you cant find it.

Quote originally posted by Haradion:
Is It possible to change the move-set of a Pokemon as it evolves? Not merely its learn-sets, but the moves it currently knows - to change as it evolves?

For example, say I had a Grass type Pokemon, like a tree - which I want to evolve into a burning fire Pokemon, and then into a ash-ish Pokemon, in a sort of progressive evolution?

It would start out as a grass type, become a fire type, and end up a rock type.

is there a way to force it to forget the Grass Type moves - and likewise its Fire Type moves, upon evolution? I don't want the rock type Pokemon running around with access to fire blast and razor leaf.

Any Ideas?
Well things like that are usually solved with ASM, cuase you can do basically anything with ASM...
You could make it LEARN moves when it evolves with a program called "YAPE", but if you really want to make it force moves, my only guess is ASM.
Here is a good tut for starting if you need it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917
Old October 20th, 2013 (08:52 AM).

How can I make an person event hidden (invisible) until a flag is set (in the same area)?
Old October 20th, 2013 (09:47 AM). Edited October 20th, 2013 by awipe1.

Alright so I am having this problem. I have these two sprites that work perfectly on thier own:

But the moment I try to put them in the same map, I get this problem.

Anyone have any idea why? I used the tutorial "Inserting new OWs into fire red for dummies", and both of these OWs are from the same OW table.

Also Abras palette is palette 3 (one that was already in the game) and I added dragonites palette by using "Creating new OW palettes in Fire Red" by Quickster, and it's palette is number 32.

I also did the last step of his tutorial:
Spoiler:
Quote:
That is a problem I didn't encounter until mentioned, as I always tested with OW palette 0 and A (no reason why, though, just happened). As such, I didn't know about the "forced load" on start that only happens once per map. This should fix it.
Using a hex editor, replace the following values
starting at 0x0805E5E0, place 70 88 09 07 09 0f 00 29 01 d0 05 e0,
then at 0x0805e5f8 place 03 e0

Also, another "problem" arises from the mist weather. palette slot 0x1, 0x6 to 0x9 and 0xb are reserved for the mist weather effect. If you don't plan on using it on your hack, and need the extra palettes, you can use them after disabling the effect.
at 0x0805f680 place 22 e0 (for palette slots 0x6-0x9 + 0xb),
at 0x0805f60c place 20 e0 (for palette slot 0x1, the player mist slot).
If you wish to have the player enter misty areas, do not apply the last one.
Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Quote originally posted by exidia:
How can I make an person event hidden (invisible) until a flag is set (in the same area)?
You just need to set the flag and put a hide sprite script. For example, let's say I wanted to talk to someone then have them dissapear. I would make a script like this

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @talk MSG_NORMAL
hidesprite 0x0
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @talk
= HELLO!

The ending of hidesprite (the 0x0 in my script) should be the same as the sprites "person event". For example if my sprite has the person event 3, my command would instead be "hidesprite 0x3".

Now for the setlhag part, let's just say you were using flag 200. Make sure that the flag is not already set. Then go to advanced map and go to the person ID of the sprite. Make that the same as the flag. So In this example, I would make the person ID of the sprite 200.

I hope that clears everything up!
Old October 20th, 2013 (10:14 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by awipe1:
Alright so I am having this problem. I have these two sprites that work perfectly on thier own:

But the moment I try to put them in the same map, I get this problem.

Anyone have any idea why? I used the tutorial "Inserting new OWs into fire red for dummies", and both of these OWs are from the same OW table.

Also Abras palette is palette 3 (one that was already in the game) and I added dragonites palette by using "Creating new OW palettes in Fire Red" by Quickster, and it's palette is number 32.

I also did the last step of his tutorial:
Anyone know of a way to fix this?

You just need to set the flag and put a hide sprite script. For example, let's say I wanted to talk to someone then have them dissapear. I would make a script like this

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @talk MSG_NORMAL
hidesprite 0x0
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @talk
= HELLO!

The ending of hidesprite (the 0x0 in my script) should be the same as the sprites "person event". For example if my sprite has the person event 3, my command would instead be "hidesprite 0x3".

Now for the setlhag part, let's just say you were using flag 200. Make sure that the flag is not already set. Then go to advanced map and go to the person ID of the sprite. Make that the same as the flag. So In this example, I would make the person ID of the sprite 200.

I hope that clears everything up!
If they have the same pal number then obviously they will share the same pal. Also, pals with a byte before the controller share too. So 15 and 05 are the same pal slot.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old October 20th, 2013 (10:28 AM).

Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
If they have the same pal number then obviously they will share the same pal. Also, pals with a byte before the controller share too. So 15 and 05 are the same pal slot.
But the Palette number for my abra is 3 and the palette number for dragonite is 32 ... How would that make this the same? I don't get it. 3 and 32 are COMPLETELY different numbers. I also didn't understand that lst thing yyou said witht he byte before the controller. Could you expand on that a bit more?
Old October 20th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
Gold Tier

But the Palette number for my abra is 3 and the palette number for dragonite is 32 ... How would that make this the same? I don't get it. 3 and 32 are COMPLETELY different numbers. I also didn't understand that lst thing yyou said witht he byte before the controller. Could you expand on that a bit more?
Not the pal number the pal slot controller. Like in when you're in NSE and when you press ctrl+M and at the bottom right it says 15 00 00 00
That's the pal slot controller. So there 05 00 00 00 and 15 00 00 00 are the same slot, and will be shared. So abra and dragonite there share the same slot, only one pal will be shown.

Old October 20th, 2013 (11:37 AM).

Not the pal number the pal slot controller. Like in when you're in NSE and when you press ctrl+M and at the bottom right it says 15 00 00 00
That's the pal slot controller. So there 05 00 00 00 and 15 00 00 00 are the same slot, and will be shared. So abra and dragonite there share the same slot, only one pal will be shown.
Yeah I just checked and you were right, Abra was 12 02 0000 and dragonite was 12 02 0000.

How do I change these do they are different? Is that all I have to do? just change one of these values so they are different?
Old October 20th, 2013 (11:43 AM).
Gold Tier

Yeah I just checked and you were right, Abra was 12 02 0000 and dragonite was 12 02 0000.

How do I change these do they are different? Is that all I have to do? just change one of these values so they are different?
Change one of them and you will go into the game to find them lookin' good.
Just a fact, 0 is for the hero.

Old October 20th, 2013 (11:53 AM).

Change one of them and you will go into the game to find them lookin' good.
Just a fact, 0 is for the hero.
Okay thanks but how do I change them?
Old October 20th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
Gold Tier

Okay thanks but how do I change them?
Change the bytes
Just change the bytes
There's no explanation for changing bytes

Old October 20th, 2013 (12:03 PM). Edited October 20th, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Change the bytes
Just change the bytes
There's no explanation for changing bytes
Yes there is. He wants to know HOW to change them, which you can't do in NSE.

Awipe1: You need to use a hex editor.

Quote originally posted by exidia:
The person ID in A-map controls this. If the flag is set, the person will be hidden. If the flag is unset, the person will be visible. So, you just need to work backwards. Set the flag before hand, then clear it later.

Paired with Simba
Old October 20th, 2013 (12:33 PM).

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Yes there is. He wants to know HOW to change them, which you can't do in NSE.

Awipe1: You need to use a hex editor.

The person ID in A-map controls this. If the flag is set, the person will be hidden. If the flag is unset, the person will be visible. So, you just need to work backwards. Set the flag before hand, then clear it later.
Thanks karate for clearing that up I figured out how to change the sprites OAM data. So I have been spending a little while measing around with that for a bit but I don't get how it works. I will change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 12 02 00 00 and I would still have the same issue.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 13 01 00 00 and then dragonite would change to the color pink.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 20 01 00 00 and both those sprites would be fine but the moment the player walks in, his palette gets all messed up.

Is there a thread explain what this OAM value actually does? Cause it doesnt make sence to me.
Old October 20th, 2013 (01:18 PM).
(>^.(>0.0)>
Crystal Tier

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Alice
I've inserted a new map for a building interior, and have a warp leading to it. I've done everything properly afaik (exactly the same as the other stock buildings) but the screen goes black and freezes when I enter it. The same warp leading to a stock map doesn't do this. Anyone know why? (I have a feeling this is a super basic question, but I can't find any other posts on it.)
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:15 PM).

I have one more question(For Now) I've cleared everything from my rom with a patch, and then expanded my rom to 32 Mb. What is the offset that I start on to start adding scripts and such? (Since I expanded my rom, I would like to know the offset the expanded part starts on) I hope I don't sound too stupid/noobish. Correct me if you know what I'm talking about, but I'm not saying it right.. I really need help on this.. Is it possible? Thanks!
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:20 PM).

Quote originally posted by iZackefx:
I have one more question(For Now) I've cleared everything from my rom with a patch, and then expanded my rom to 32 Mb. What is the offset that I start on to start adding scripts and such? (Since I expanded my rom, I would like to know the offset the expanded part starts on) I hope I don't sound too stupid/noobish. Correct me if you know what I'm talking about, but I'm not saying it right.. I really need help on this.. Is it possible? Thanks!
Use Free Space Finder (FSF)...

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:34 PM).

I knew that it was simple. One more stupid question, do I start from the beginning of the rom? Or what offset do I start off with..? Is it 800000?
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:42 PM). Edited October 20th, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by iZackefx:
I knew that it was simple. One more stupid question, do I start from the beginning of the rom? Or what offset do I start off with..? Is it 800000?
The original 16mb are in the 800000s, but the second 16mb are in the 900000s.

Thanks karate for clearing that up I figured out how to change the sprites OAM data. So I have been spending a little while measing around with that for a bit but I don't get how it works. I will change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 12 02 00 00 and I would still have the same issue.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 13 01 00 00 and then dragonite would change to the color pink.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 20 01 00 00 and both those sprites would be fine but the moment the player walks in, his palette gets all messed up.

Is there a thread explain what this OAM value actually does? Cause it doesnt make sence to me.
All we care about is the first byte. That byte controls the palette slot. Open up VBA, then go Tools->Palette Viewer and look at the obj palettes. 0 is the first one on top.

Now, back to the byte. I'll make it a generic: XY

The first half: X, does absolutely nothing that I can find. Every routine that I have seen use this byte simply throws it away by ANDing the byte with 0xF.

The second half: Y, IS the palette slot.

In your last scenario, the conflict with the player is because the player uses slot 0.

Quote originally posted by QuilavaKing:
I've inserted a new map for a building interior, and have a warp leading to it. I've done everything properly afaik (exactly the same as the other stock buildings) but the screen goes black and freezes when I enter it. The same warp leading to a stock map doesn't do this. Anyone know why? (I have a feeling this is a super basic question, but I can't find any other posts on it.)
Simple answer: corruption.

Just insert the map into a new bank and slot and it should work fine. That is what I always do and it tends to work most of the time.

Paired with Simba
Old October 20th, 2013 (03:03 PM).

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
All we care about is the first byte. That byte controls the palette slot. Open up VBA, then go Tools->Palette Viewer and look at the obj palettes. 0 is the first one on top.

Now, back to the byte. I'll make it a generic: XY

The first half: X, does absolutely nothing that I can find. Every routine that I have seen use this byte simply throws it away by ANDing the byte with 0xF.

The second half: Y, IS the palette slot.

In your last scenario, the conflict with the player is because the player uses slot 0.
OH OKAY THANKS A LOT THAT MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE!

However ... does that mean I only have 16 options? But 2 are going to be used for my 2 hero's (male a female) so does that mean I can only have 14 different colored sprites on at a time? That really sucks!

Sponsored Links