Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2013 (06:30 AM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
Hi, I have a question.
Is there a way to implement a B/W or D/P/Pt Ability such as snow warning or light metal
to a GBA Pokemon game?
Old November 9th, 2013 (09:00 AM).
help, how do I...?

I am trying to convert the following images into 16-bit palletted so I can insert them into an Emerald ROM with Overworld editor.

Spoiler:

Usually for this I use Mode... Index Colour with photoshop, and then save the images as a 16 bit bmp, however whenever I try that with these images I don't get the option to do so.

Spoiler:

Do you know any alternate methods I could use to convert them? Alternatively, do you know why these images can't be converted? Please try to give detailed step-by-step instructions rather than just saying something like "use GIMP", I'm not particularly well versed with this stuff.
Old November 9th, 2013 (09:33 AM). Edited November 9th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by surfer treecko:
I am trying to convert the following images into 16-bit palletted so I can insert them into an Emerald ROM with Overworld editor.

Spoiler:

Usually for this I use Mode... Index Colour with photoshop, and then save the images as a 16 bit bmp, however whenever I try that with these images I don't get the option to do so.

Spoiler:

Do you know any alternate methods I could use to convert them? Alternatively, do you know why these images can't be converted? Please try to give detailed step-by-step instructions rather than just saying something like "use GIMP", I'm not particularly well versed with this stuff.
Because they're already 16 colors, so you can' make them 16 colors again.

Quote originally posted by Sagittarius:
Hi, I have a question.
Is there a way to implement a B/W or D/P/Pt Ability such as snow warning or light metal
to a GBA Pokemon game?
Abilities are ASM routines, just they're not stored in a table so it's on you how you do it.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old November 9th, 2013 (11:08 AM).
help, how do I...?

Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
Because they're already 16 colors, so you can' make them 16 colors again.
That's not the problem, increasing or decreasing the number of different colours in the image doesn't do anything. They need to be in a specific type of file format or something for me to insert them into Overworld editor.

It's entirely possible I'm going about this the wrong way... What's the usual method people use to convert images into formats that Overworld Editor etc. will accept with photoshop?
Old November 9th, 2013 (12:19 PM).
some loser

Quote originally posted by surfer treecko:
That's not the problem, increasing or decreasing the number of different colours in the image doesn't do anything. They need to be in a specific type of file format or something for me to insert them into Overworld editor.

It's entirely possible I'm going about this the wrong way... What's the usual method people use to convert images into formats that Overworld Editor etc. will accept with photoshop?
I use GIMP instead of Photoshop, so I couldn't tell you how to get them indexed properly there, but I took a look at the first of the ones you provided and it appears to be indexed with 256 colors, most of them being unused, rather than 16 colors. See if Photoshop has a way to fiddle with the Colormap, and reduce it to 16 colors.

If it helps, you want it to be something like this sprite's colormap:

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old November 9th, 2013 (01:11 PM).
help, how do I...?

Quote originally posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay:
I use GIMP instead of Photoshop, so I couldn't tell you how to get them indexed properly there, but I took a look at the first of the ones you provided and it appears to be indexed with 256 colors, most of them being unused, rather than 16 colors. See if Photoshop has a way to fiddle with the Colormap, and reduce it to 16 colors.

If it helps, you want it to be something like this sprite's colormap:
hi doesnt

Photoshop can change the colourmap just fine (it's what I'm doing in the left hand side of the screenshot, and afterwards when I check the colour table it shows only 15 colours), what it can't seem to do is save things in 16-bit. I didn't index the colours on the sprites I uploaded because I thought the image sharing websites would mess with them.

It would probably just be easier if I used GIMP. ...how do I do that?
Old November 9th, 2013 (01:30 PM).
some loser

In GIMP, index it by via Image -> Mode -> Indexed, with Generate Optimum Palette selected, then go to Colors -> Map -> Rearrange Colormap to verify that it's no more than 16 colors and put the background as the first color. Since you're reducing several sprites, it'd probably be a good idea to leave then entire palette in the image while you do this, to make sure that every color you want in the palette is there even if that particular frame doesn't use it. (Alternatively, put every frame in one image, index that, then copy it and crop it repeatedly).

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old November 9th, 2013 (02:04 PM).
help, how do I...?

Spoiler:

I've tried that, and it still doesn't work (it gives me Runtime Error 481"). The images did however seem to work when I tested them with Advanced Sprite Editor, so maybe it's Overworld Editor that's the problem?
Old November 9th, 2013 (02:19 PM).
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ep!c
Use NamelessSpriteEditor in order to insert Overworlds bug-free.
Old November 9th, 2013 (02:39 PM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Retribution:
Well, here are some screenshots that might help. I'm still having a bit of trouble seeing where I'm going wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/mTk9l

Also, my offsets:

New OW Table Offset - 900000 (screenshot 1)
New OW Offset - 910000 (screenshot 2)
Frame Data Pointer Offset - 920000 (screenshot 3)
Frame Data Offset - 930000 (screenshot 4)
Uh, I'm still having some trouble with this. :s

Some more screenshots to highlight the problem:
Spoiler:

* When I interact with the sprite from below (frame 0), the bottom majority of the sprite is invisible.
* When I interact with the sprite from above (frame 1), the sprite appears on top of the player and the top is cut off instead.

The only thing I can think of is it's a problem to do with Free Space, more-so with the latter off-sets? Having said that,despite the ROM not being initially un-used (I did a good bit of scripting etc.), I don't think I got to the 900000s. Idk. :s

I've tried some things so far but nothing seems to have solved it (changing some of the bytes which i felt might be inaccurate. You can see this above or by clicking here.

Thank you. Sorry it's not the typical problems but it's been driving me a bit insane. xD
Old November 9th, 2013 (03:26 PM).
Banned

Well, on the first view it looks like a Tile-error.
Try to set that block to "Hiro hides block" or how it is called in english (0x20 byte)
Old November 9th, 2013 (03:29 PM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by ep!c:
Well, on the first view it looks like a Tile-error.
Try to set that block to "Hiro hides block" or how it is called in english (0x20 byte)
I don't think it;s a tile error since I can put one of the original sprites there and it works correctly. :s I think something's gone wrong when I added new sprites but I can't seem to figure out where I went wrong. xD
Old November 10th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Hacker

Nature: Serious
For the DNS Program (put day, night, etc) into the game. Is it possible to control the day or night system with a script? For example, for one event, I want it to be night time, so is there a way to control the time?
Hello, my friend created a Youtube Channel that features Pokemon gameplay/strategy and some Lol stuff. It will mean a lot to him and me if you guys can like and subscribe to his channel. Thank you. Here's a link to his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekp-oEFcKU0&list=UUppO2JvMl3_3Ihr1Z_YwMig
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppO2JvMl3_3Ihr1Z_YwMig
Old November 10th, 2013 (12:08 AM).
ふゆかい

Quote originally posted by rockmanmegaman:
For the DNS Program (put day, night, etc) into the game. Is it possible to control the day or night system with a script? For example, for one event, I want it to be night time, so is there a way to control the time?
Yes, I think you should take the tutorial "based time events" on the tut section.
But I'm not that sure, you can ask gogojtech himself to answer your questions.
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:22 AM).
Banned

Hey rockman.
There is a statusbyte in the RAM, which tells you what part of the DNS is used.
At 0x203C000 there is located a byte which can have values from 0 to 6.
0 is night, 1 is morning, 2&3 are day palettes, 4 is afternoon, 5 is evening and 6 is night too.
You can do that with writebytetooffset, but it would be more safe to use ASM tho..
Old November 10th, 2013 (02:11 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote originally posted by ep!c:
Hey rockman.
There is a statusbyte in the RAM, which tells you what part of the DNS is used.
At 0x203C000 there is located a byte which can have values from 0 to 6.
0 is night, 1 is morning, 2&3 are day palettes, 4 is afternoon, 5 is evening and 6 is night too.
You can do that with writebytetooffset, but it would be more safe to use ASM tho..
This won't work because the RTC is attached to the main loop, and it would just reset next frame.

Consequently, there's no way to force a time of day on the ROM as it's determined by system time. Best thing you can do, rockman, is simply hide the triggering sprite or have a level script which clears a var if it's too early or late if it's a tile script.

Not even (simple) ASM can get around this. To force time, you'd need to directly modify the RTC code, and trust me, that's not easy!
Old November 10th, 2013 (05:18 AM).
Hacker

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by Jambo51:
This won't work because the RTC is attached to the main loop, and it would just reset next frame.

Consequently, there's no way to force a time of day on the ROM as it's determined by system time. Best thing you can do, rockman, is simply hide the triggering sprite or have a level script which clears a var if it's too early or late if it's a tile script.

Not even (simple) ASM can get around this. To force time, you'd need to directly modify the RTC code, and trust me, that's not easy!
Lol, okay then. Oh well :/ .
Hello, my friend created a Youtube Channel that features Pokemon gameplay/strategy and some Lol stuff. It will mean a lot to him and me if you guys can like and subscribe to his channel. Thank you. Here's a link to his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekp-oEFcKU0&list=UUppO2JvMl3_3Ihr1Z_YwMig
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppO2JvMl3_3Ihr1Z_YwMig
Old November 10th, 2013 (05:39 AM). Edited November 10th, 2013 by Neti.
Follow @PokeNeti on Twitter

Nature: Relaxed
Edit: Question just got answered here: http://www.romhack.me/questions/view/id_105

if you wanna read it anyway:

Spoiler:
I asked this before and got no answer, but since I got more information I'm just gonna give it a try.
The problem is I get a glitch after inserting my region map.
Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Dont worry about the colors, im gonna change them later. also i blurred the image cause the map is yet secret.

Why does this blue stuff appear? (The tile right of it is no longer gray, i fixed that. So just focus on the blue rectangle.)
It's exactly 6 Tiles that appear wrong (but it would be 8, it's just that the last two are transparent anyway so they're correct even if they're wrong...)

I looked my tilemap up in a hex editor and after messing around with the bytes a bit, I found that my tilemap ends with the following 8 bytes:
1C 01 00 1D 01 00 00 00
I already found out that 1C and 1D refer to tiles and 01 and 01 are palette numbers. But I do not know what the zeros are. After those bytes a lot of FFs follow.
When changing the tiles there, I see a change to the last two tiles that appear to be correct on my region map. Editing the last two zeros and/or even some of the following FFs has no visible effect to the region map ingame.

So I let the logger run and get the following (0x0871a23c is the offset of my region map)
LZ77UnCompWram: 0x0871a23c,0x02002d86 (VCOUNT=201)
Looked 0x02002d86 up in the vram and found all the bytes i also see in the hex editor, looks like my region map tilemap, changes there are not visible ingame, so I checked the Map viewer and found the ram address of the last correct tile: 0x0600F4E8
Looking that up in the ram shows me another copy of my tilemap. But now theres a difference: If I edit the next bytes, I am able to change the region map ingame. I changed the following zeros to:
1E 01 1F 01 20 01 21 01 22 01 DF 00
And look: I finally get the result i want! The region map looks alright.

But well, as you can guess nobody wants to change the ram everytime he looks on the region map, espacially when its a pretty unimportant area of it.

So, does anybody know why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?

Additonal info: I tried making my tilemap with NTME Alpha AND NTME 1.1. Both gave me the same result.

If somebody who is able to insert region maps wants to give it a try, I could provide my tileset and tilemap. If that person manages to do it, that just means I'm doing something wrong.
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:19 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Hello~
How can I make a showpokepic script show an image like this:

I know it isn't too complex because I've seen an explanation somewhere before but I can't remember where.
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:54 PM).
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
Hello~

I know it isn't too complex because I've seen an explanation somewhere before but I can't remember where.
This tutorial? http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=300007
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old November 10th, 2013 (02:14 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
Hello~

Using the Fossil Picture special. JPAN included a very nice hack of it in his engine that can easily be ported to other games.

Paired with Simba
Old November 10th, 2013 (07:17 PM).
Wrecking Ball

Nature: Jolly
Does anyone know the unLZ offset for the HP and EXP bar? I found the ones for the box, but just replacing the box doesn't change the bars :/ Is it even possible to replace them
Old November 10th, 2013 (10:14 PM).

I am using JPANs hack applier for my ROM and for setting a new healing place, I use this script

setvar 0x405A 0x405
setvar 0x405B 0x7
setvar 0x405C 0x4

However, now I need to make a healing place that isn't a POKeMON center. Cause right now when I set my healing place to anything, it will show the pokeballs and nurse joy will say her thing, anyway I can change it so when I respawn no one says anything? Please let me know! Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2013 (11:23 PM).
Banned

Well, first of all, research the Joy-script.
Shouldn't be hard, just let me know if you need help.
Then write a checkflag or something and if this flag is true, then returns to end
After that, repoint the script and you're done.
Old November 11th, 2013 (02:07 AM).
ふゆかい

How can I change the trainer card's color?

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)