Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old December 21st, 2013 (12:43 PM). Edited December 21st, 2013 by REDRAYVEN.

ok what i meant was on certain maps it wants X/Y 000-000 I know one is north to south and the other east to west just don't remember which is which also 2 more questions:
1. I can't Seem to delete my fly spot how can i delete it so i can put a fly spot where i want it?
and 2. i want to add new maps not previously part of the map to the are im in do i just copy my map and replace whats on it or what do i do?
Old December 21st, 2013 (12:44 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Saturnus:
I don't understand.. Can you explain your question clearly?
It is clear enough:

Y is the vertical axis, and X is the horizontal axis. He is trying to do coordinates of some sort.

Paired with Simba
Old December 21st, 2013 (12:48 PM). Edited December 21st, 2013 by Merak.
(abuser of the parentheses)

Nature: Timid
Okay I have a question.

Would anybody happen to know where I can get a list of the tiles for the setmaptile command? Or is there an easy way to figure out what tile corresponds to what number for the command? I'm using Fire Red by the way. (Yeah, sort of a noobish question.) Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Old December 21st, 2013 (01:30 PM).
No problem here.

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but I can't go through 1,115 pages of posts...sorry xD

But, whenever I try to run XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) I get the message "A whole new scripting experience has stopped working" and it crashes. Any help, please? c: (I also run Windows 8, if that has anything to do with it).

I have a Pokémon hack currently in progress! I promise my siggy will be cooler when it's finished
Hacks I support:
Spoiler:
Every hack known to man, Pokémon, and Saturn-kind.
Old December 21st, 2013 (01:37 PM).

i asked these with my ther question so incase someone can help and didn't see the questions:
1. I can't Seem to delete my fly spot how can i delete it so i can put a fly spot where i want it?
2. i want to add new maps not previously part of the map to the are im in do i just copy my map and replace whats on it or what do i do?
Old December 21st, 2013 (01:57 PM).

@Miikari: I don't know what might be causing the error you're getting. I know that a runtime error will pop up if the version of XSE you have is set to search for an update upon starting, but I haven't heard of it just crashing. Sorry.

@REDRAYVEN:
1. I think there might be a way to move it in Advanced Map. I haven't really looked a lot into that though, so I can't give advice on that very well.
2. If you're trying to add maps, I think there may be a tutorial in the tutorial's section that could help you. I'd suggest looking there.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
Old December 21st, 2013 (02:48 PM).

ok i feel bad i have so many questions but now im stuck on a realy weird one using X/Y coordinates to place my events but it is weird 1-9 are in the right spots but 10 is all the way on the other side of the map and my sign (yes doing a sign event) is on the 10th horizontal square aside from extending my building or shortening it how do i get my sign event where i need it to go?
Old December 21st, 2013 (03:21 PM).
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by REDRAYVEN:
-_- ok i feel bad i have so many questions but now im stuck on a realy weird one using X/Y coordinates to place my events but it is weird 1-9 are in the right spots but 10 is all the way on the other side of the map and my sign (yes doing a sign event) is on the 10th horizontal square aside from extending my building or shortening it how do i get my sign event where i need it to go?
The game uses "hex" numbers instead of your usual "decimal" system you're using. It takes a bit to get used to, but you'll get it. :P

Basically the numbering goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B... etc.
Old December 21st, 2013 (03:36 PM).

Also a note on the mapping system for the games.(correct me if I'm wrong) Unlike the usual "X = run, Y = climb", the games go in the way of "X = run, Y = drop". At least that's how it seems that's how it is when I do it. (I haven't seen this little bit noted elsewhere.)
Old December 21st, 2013 (03:53 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Merak:
Also a note on the mapping system for the games.(correct me if I'm wrong) Unlike the usual "X = run, Y = climb", the games go in the way of "X = run, Y = drop". At least that's how it seems that's how it is when I do it. (I haven't seen this little bit noted elsewhere.)
That is right. In fact, a lot of programming works that way. The top-left hand corner of the screen is the origin in most cases. I learned this while making a screen saver using Pygame when I first started Python.

Paired with Simba
Old December 21st, 2013 (03:58 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Okay I have a question.

Would anybody happen to know where I can get a list of the tiles for the setmaptile command? Or is there an easy way to figure out what tile corresponds to what number for the command? I'm using Fire Red by the way. (Yeah, sort of a noobish question.) Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
The list is the tiles available on the tileset the map is currently using.
You can check the map's available tiles through Advance Map.

Spoiler:

Quote originally posted by Miikari:
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but I can't go through 1,115 pages of posts...sorry xD

But, whenever I try to run XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) I get the message "A whole new scripting experience has stopped working" and it crashes. Any help, please? c: (I also run Windows 8, if that has anything to do with it).
Try using this version of XSE.

ok i feel bad i have so many questions but now im stuck on a realy weird one using X/Y coordinates to place my events but it is weird 1-9 are in the right spots but 10 is all the way on the other side of the map and my sign (yes doing a sign event) is on the 10th horizontal square aside from extending my building or shortening it how do i get my sign event where i need it to go?
Um...can't you just click and drag your events? o.0

FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old December 21st, 2013 (04:19 PM). Edited December 21st, 2013 by REDRAYVEN.

@ destined i don't know if i can
ill try ty

Thanks Destined you were right and apparently what i thought was 0010 was 000A

Ok so i think i got this one but i need confirmation so correct me if im wrong ut a warp is like entering and exiting the pokecenter whereas a script is leaving palett town and steping onto Route 1 right?
Old December 21st, 2013 (05:06 PM).

@ destined i don't know if i can
ill try ty

Thanks Destined you were right and apparently what i thought was 0010 was 000A

Ok so i think i got this one but i need confirmation so correct me if im wrong ut a warp is like entering and exiting the pokecenter whereas a script is leaving palett town and steping onto Route 1 right?

Scripts are events. They can be activated when you step on a tile with a script event placed on it, or by interacting with it. Scripts can cause you to warp to another map or location too.

Warps are doors like in and out of the pokemon center. You must specify where you want the warp to take you to make it work.

Stepping on/off routes etc is done through map connections in Advanced Map. To make that work, you must set where one map leads to another, and you must set it up on both the map being left and the map being entered.
Old December 21st, 2013 (05:16 PM).

Quote originally posted by Ambushwhack:
Sure, I'll try. Tilesets come up when mapping - so creating the world your character wanders through. The tilesets are, well, the sets of tiles available for each map. They're what makes the world look the way it does. There are tons of tiles in the game, but they're not all available for each map. For example, let's compare Viridian Forest to Vermillion City. Viridian Forest has a lot of trees, plus the gates leading to the two halves of Route 2. Vermillion City, meanwhile, has stuff like the PokeCenter, PokeMart, entrance to S.S. Anne, and various flourishes appropriate to a port town. Using the tilesets already in Fire Red, it would be hard to make a map with both a port and the big (3x3) trees found at the border of Viridian Forest. Vermillion City uses tilesets 0 and 6, while Viridian Forest uses tilesets 0 and 34. Those numbers are what AdvanceMap calls them - I don't know if other editors give the same numbers.

EDIT: Oh, and Regice66, I'm curious: are you another new(ish) hacker, or are you usually here to help less experienced hackers but my question just sounded like gibberish?

Super new hacker person lol... and I really wanna mod my own pokemon game and want to get all the bugs worked out and what not
Old December 21st, 2013 (05:24 PM).
Just that spriting guy

Hey, I'm inserting music into my game and wondered if maybe anyone knew where to find a soundfont for Slap Bass 1

Old December 21st, 2013 (05:45 PM). Edited December 21st, 2013 by Merak.

Quote originally posted by Ace_Master_of_Turtles:
Hey, I'm inserting music into my game and wondered if maybe anyone knew where to find a soundfont for Slap Bass 1

Do you mean a soundfont matching the one in the game? If so, try searching around with google or something.

While we're on the topic of soundfonts. i'll (sorta) bump an old question of mine.

Does anybody know where I can find a tool to rip soundfonts from a GBA pokemon rom?
Old December 21st, 2013 (09:16 PM). Edited December 21st, 2013 by Wobbu.
ffet

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Ace_Master_of_Turtles:
Click me yo!
Looping parameters: start 4432, end 6896
Root key: 36 C1
Check out gogo's Sappy tutorial for a method of obtaining soundfonts.

Does anybody know where I can find a tool to rip soundfonts from a GBA pokemon rom?
Sappy can export instrument samples, although in an unorganized manner :\
Old December 21st, 2013 (10:02 PM).

Quote originally posted by Wobbu:
Click me yo!
Looping parameters: start 4432, end 6896
Root key: 36 C1
Check out gogo's Sappy tutorial for a method of obtaining soundfonts.

Sappy can export instrument samples, although in an unorganized manner :\

I know sappy can export samples as .wav, .raw, and . its. The problem is that I don't have a way to make soundfonts using those samples. (I tried a tool called viena(dunno if I spelled that right) and it didn't work out so well). I tried a tool called gbaMusRiper, but apparently the songtable is different in games like r/s/e and fr/lg even though they use the same sappy engine.

I guess I'll try again with Viena. That or try hex editing to make gbaMusRiper able to recognize the songtable.(which would be a nice test to see if I can even hex edit at all. lol)
Old December 22nd, 2013 (01:28 PM).
No problem here.

Quote originally posted by destinedjagold:

Try using this version of XSE.

It works, thank you so much! c:

Also, another question, is there a way to change the name of the person who's speaking in FireRed? o: for example-

"MOM: [...]Right. All boys leave home some day." If I wanted to change her name to DAD or something like that, to make it: "DAD: [...]Right. All boys leave home some day.", Is it possible, and if so, how? Thanks in advance xD

I have a Pokémon hack currently in progress! I promise my siggy will be cooler when it's finished
Hacks I support:
Spoiler:
Every hack known to man, Pokémon, and Saturn-kind.
Old December 22nd, 2013 (05:34 PM).

I have an odd question.

I started advance map and tried to load a ROM and I couldn't find it, so I typed it out and tried to open it. It didn't work.

Did I do something wrong? Do I need something else? Please help!
Old December 22nd, 2013 (06:45 PM). Edited December 22nd, 2013 by Merak.

Quote originally posted by Miikari:
It works, thank you so much! c:

Also, another question, is there a way to change the name of the person who's speaking in FireRed? o: for example-

"MOM: [...]Right. All boys leave home some day." If I wanted to change her name to DAD or something like that, to make it: "DAD: [...]Right. All boys leave home some day.", Is it possible, and if so, how? Thanks in advance xD

that's just in the text itself for your example. Just change "MOM" to a different name and there ya go.
Also a tip in case you haven't read this yet, [player] puts in the players name and [rival] does the rival's name. And by the way(yeah I'm helping too much lol), there's some really helpful XSE tutorials in the tutorials section if you need more scripting help.

Quote originally posted by vigilante bisharp:
I have an odd question.

I started advance map and tried to load a ROM and I couldn't find it, so I typed it out and tried to open it. It didn't work.

Did I do something wrong? Do I need something else? Please help!

If you're typing the name in to find it:
- Make sure all the text is correctly capitalized and spaced.
- Make sure the C:\ (or whatever drive you've got the file in, EX: "D:\", "E:\", etc.) is included.
Example:
C:\Users\(insert name here)\Documents\Pokémon FireRed.gba

Or just put the rom close to the program so it isn't hard to find.

I hope this helped.
Old December 23rd, 2013 (12:28 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
that's just in the text itself for your example. Just change "MOM" to a different name and there ya go.
Also a tip in case you haven't read this yet, [player] puts in the players name and [rival] does the rival's name. And by the way(yeah I'm helping too much lol), there's some really helpful XSE tutorials in the tutorials section if you need more scripting help.
Just to add to this.
If you are changing name from shorter to longer (not this case, but you may need it in future), always use Text Adjuster so the text does not go out of box.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 23rd, 2013 (11:35 AM).

someone know how to make synchronize in FR, and the effect of everstone with the eggs (100% the egg has the parent's nature)
Old December 23rd, 2013 (11:45 AM).

Hey guys,
I'm just new in this hacking business and I'd like to know if there is already a hack in which you start AFTER this whole introduction scenes and getting your Pokemons and blah blah because I am really annoyed by this long intro before I can try out the hacks I inserted.
Sorry for any mistakes in my writing, Englisch is not my mother tongue..
Old December 23rd, 2013 (01:29 PM).

Quote originally posted by Ambushwhack:
I ran into a similar problem, but I created a new one when fixing it. So, I had one map with tilesets 0 and 1 going into a new map, tilesets 0 and 63. Tilesets 1 and 63 are actually very similar - enough that I simply remade a map so both used sets 0 and 1. (I may actually go back and remake them to both use 0 and 63, but that probably won't matter, right?) But now I've got a lot of glitched tiles showing up. Worse than before the fix, actually, and they're a permanent feature, rather than appearing only when I walk from one map to the other. What's going on? I've got a similar thing going on in my Mount Moon analog, but (1) to a lesser extent, (2) only inserting a few random water tiles, and (3) only applying to the middle floor. These glitched maps look fine in AdvanceMap, and I recently switched to using 1.92.
So, I still didn't get an answer to this question. But I've already got another one. One of my warps is kinda glitchy. I can enter the PokeMart in what used to be Pewter City just fine (now leading to the Vermillion City PokeMart). But when I exit, I end up 2 down and 3 to the left of the warp. I double checked my warp placement, and the warp is in the right place. Why would this be happening?
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)