Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old December 28th, 2013 (01:50 PM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
Whenever I defeat Agatha (used to be Koga) I can't move my character and the arrows move the camera instead. Also when I edit the script to Agatha dialogue it glitches up.
I also can't enter Cinnabar gym, when I do it just goes black.
Any ideas? If it helps I've added a few new trainers into the extra space.
Old December 28th, 2013 (07:16 PM).

Quote originally posted by AkameTheBulbasaur:
Is there something you have to do in order to have a wild encounter with an Unown in a hack? I tried having a cave with only wild Unown, but sometimes, when a wild battle is supposed to happen but before the game goes into the battle screen, it just freezes. Only two of the Unown forms work, A (which is completely glitch free) and T (which works, but the sprite has odd colors.) Would it be possible to make it so that I could only use the form of Unown that works? Thanks in advance!
There must be some series of flags that get set by Unown to make more forms available. I have Unown available in one area, but only A shows up. And I have noticed in the main series games, there's always some series of ruins you need to explore, and the more you've reached (or more entrances, for GSC and remakes), the more forms of Unown are available. I don't know how to hack and say activate all 28 forms, but I suspect that's related to what you (and I) are seeing. (I don't get glitchy T though).
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Old December 29th, 2013 (02:49 AM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Branellope:
Whenever I defeat Agatha (used to be Koga) I can't move my character and the arrows move the camera instead. Also when I edit the script to Agatha dialogue it glitches up.
I also can't enter Cinnabar gym, when I do it just goes black.
Any ideas? If it helps I've added a few new trainers into the extra space.
Don't edit the script that has already been inserted. That would make the script go crappier
and crash your game or ruin the script itself. So, just get the offset and delete the inserted script's offset.
Then create a new script using that offset. It's like you're deleting the offset making it a free space again.
But that is under game freak's script I think. So go ahead and make a new one
Old December 29th, 2013 (06:20 AM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
Quote originally posted by Saturnus:
Don't edit the script that has already been inserted. That would make the script go crappier
and crash your game or ruin the script itself. So, just get the offset and delete the inserted script's offset.
Then create a new script using that offset. It's like you're deleting the offset making it a free space again.
But that is under game freak's script I think. So go ahead and make a new one
I'm terrible with making new scripts D:
Old December 29th, 2013 (10:32 AM). Edited December 29th, 2013 by tommyonline.

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to edit Pokemon Pearl to play as the rival Barry by replacing all the hero sprites on the rom with all the rival sprites, I've created lots of .bmp sprites to replace the hero sprites but I just can't seem to do it.

I'm wondering if anyone is up to the challenge? You guys know a lot more than me about editing roms so I'm hoping someone will find this easy to do.

The files are here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1t8docubec3r396/pearl-barry_images.rar

The only files I can't seem to find are the Poke ball throwing animation and trainer card, so if anyone knows the loacation of these I'd appreciate it very much.

Hope you can help
SoulSilver Version - Lyra - Meganium, Jynx, Arcanine, Xatu, Marowak, Parasect
Black Version - Hilbert - Emboar, Braviary, Galvantula, Caracosta, Musharna, Reshiram
Black 2 Version - Rose - Serperior, Alomomola, Stunfisk, Reuniclus, Mandibuzz, Zekrom
Old December 29th, 2013 (11:49 AM).

Is it possible to add more Pokémon into a Fire Red ROM? As in, increase the number of slots available? Or am I just stuck with the 411 slots that are already given to me?
Old December 29th, 2013 (01:44 PM).

Hi, I'm trying to replace Pidgeot with Abomasnow in FireRed... I was able to do it but in the battle screen, there's a shadow below it and makes it look as if it's floating (Since Pidgeot's sprite is flying) how do I remove this shadow?
Old December 29th, 2013 (01:52 PM).
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by necudma:
Hi, I'm trying to replace Pidgeot with Abomasnow in FireRed... I was able to do it but in the battle screen, there's a shadow below it and makes it look as if it's floating (Since Pidgeot's sprite is flying) how do I remove this shadow?
With Wichu's Sprite Position Editor, set the y or x axis (forget which is which) to 0. Then click auto-position.
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old December 29th, 2013 (01:56 PM).
Because reasons.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Geodude6:
Is it possible to add more Pokémon into a Fire Red ROM? As in, increase the number of slots available? Or am I just stuck with the 411 slots that are already given to me?
It is possible(sorta). Check the research and development section, I think it might have had some information. Tutorials section might have too, but I can't remember haha.
If you want to increase the number of slots available, its gonna take extensive hex editing, ASM hacking, and probably a lot more to make everything function correctly. (I think.)
Old December 29th, 2013 (02:08 PM).

Nature: Mild
For some reason on my hack whenever I choose a starter the rival chooses the same thing my new starters are cubchoo pancham and teddiursa btw how can I fix this?
Old December 29th, 2013 (02:56 PM).

Quote originally posted by Frosty~:
With Wichu's Sprite Position Editor, set the y or x axis (forget which is which) to 0. Then click auto-position.
Thank you, but is there another way to do this? This program doesn't work for me, it gives me an error and it closes...
Old December 29th, 2013 (03:22 PM).
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Luxray1:
For some reason on my hack whenever I choose a starter the rival chooses the same thing my new starters are cubchoo pancham and teddiursa btw how can I fix this?
Hex edit the choices or use A-Starter.
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old December 29th, 2013 (09:12 PM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Branellope:
I'm terrible with making new scripts D:
Just go read some tut on the tut sections.

Quote originally posted by Luxray1:
Why don't you just make a script for the rival has it's own starter? Also, the rival shouldn't choose
the same pokemon as you do if you just changed the starter Pokemon.
Old December 29th, 2013 (11:20 PM).

Nature: Lonely
Anyone can teaches me how to expand Eevee's evolution branch from 5 to 7 in Emerald? Thanks so much.
Old December 30th, 2013 (12:55 AM).
Divider of Zero

At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, how do I decompile am ASM routine in the game?
Old December 30th, 2013 (02:45 AM).
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ep!c
VBA and NO$GBA have an intigrated disassembler.
In VBA just goto Tools -> Disassemble.
If you want to search for routines in the ROM, enter 08<ROMOFFSET>
Old December 30th, 2013 (04:12 AM). Edited December 30th, 2013 by Eminence.
Pokemon Eminence

So i've been working more on my hack for ruby and finally got around to inserting Darkrai. I've added in the front/back sprites but I'm having a lot of trouble with inserting the OW. By default it keeps changing the transparent colour to 1,1,1 or 0,0,0 and since Darkrai is prodimently black, I can never see him on A-map or in-game.

I dug around and couldnt find any information on how to fix it, so if anyone here can help please do!
-Lots of love!

EDIT: Found a solution!

http://nupzdeviant.deviantart.com/
Old December 30th, 2013 (09:02 AM).

Are shiny and normal Pokemon required to otherwise have perfectly identical sprites? (excepting color) I want to put Missingno. into my hack, and I was hoping to use its blocky form for the main version and the Kabutops skeleton for the shiny form. I suspect this isn't viable, but I can hope.
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Old December 30th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
Divider of Zero

Quote originally posted by Teh Blazer:
When I use the "sunny weather with clouds in the water" weather effect, clouds also appear on the trees for some random reason. I've tried editing the behavior byte of the tree blocks, but that still doesn't seem to do the trick. What do?
Reposting since it was never answered and now providing emphasis.
Spoiler:
Old December 30th, 2013 (02:37 PM). Edited December 30th, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Reposting since it was never answered and now providing emphasis.
Spoiler:
I believe this is due to tile layering. The tops of the trees are probably on the same level as the clouds. Not much you can change.

Quote originally posted by Ambushwhack:
Are shiny and normal Pokemon required to otherwise have perfectly identical sprites? (excepting color) I want to put Missingno. into my hack, and I was hoping to use its blocky form for the main version and the Kabutops skeleton for the shiny form. I suspect this isn't viable, but I can hope.
Yes, shinies are just a separate palette. You could however, with some ASM, load a different image for a shiny. I have hacked that routine before, and it isn't hard.

Paired with Simba
Old December 30th, 2013 (03:04 PM).
Crit happens.

Nature: Modest
In Emerald, how would I go about getting a specific type icon to use a different palette/index? In an attempt to get eggs to show up as Normal-type instead of ??? I overwrote the [???] icon to be identical to the [Normal] one. It inserted fine and the other elemental icons look fine, but the palette is now off (since it's still using the same palette that [???] did) and I'd like to get the old-???-turned-normal icon to use the same palette as [Normal] instead.

I've poked around in the ROM and VBA Memory/OAM/Palette viewers, but I'm having a hard time finding any addresses or pointers in the ROM itself that specify which palette/index each icon uses.

Example screenie:

A Gen 3 remake de-make, (soon to be) featuring many Gen VI mechanics
Old December 30th, 2013 (04:01 PM).
Silver Tier

Trader Advanced gets an "Invalid Property Value" whenever I try to open my ROM with it. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for creating your own trade scripts somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how I can fix the error, or have a link to the tutorial?
Old December 30th, 2013 (05:09 PM).
Divider of Zero

Quote originally posted by chrunch:
Trader Advanced gets an "Invalid Property Value" whenever I try to open my ROM with it. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for creating your own trade scripts somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how I can fix the error, or have a link to the tutorial?
There is a section is diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial titled "Pokemart" which will show you how to make the sell-able items appear on the list inside the Pokemart. The rest you can copy and paste from an existing Pokemart script as I'm assuming the only thing you're gonna be changing are what items are sold there.
Old December 30th, 2013 (06:56 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
There is a section is diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial titled "Pokemart" which will show you how to make the sell-able items appear on the list inside the Pokemart. The rest you can copy and paste from an existing Pokemart script as I'm assuming the only thing you're gonna be changing are what items are sold there.
He is talking about in game trades, not trading as is purchasing.
----

I don't know what property is missing, but it is most likely a bad ini or a corrupted rom. Try redownloading. If that doesn't work, most likely you have an unsupported rom, or that data in your rom is corrupted.

Paired with Simba
Old December 31st, 2013 (01:59 AM).
Truant Trainer

Nature: Careful
I've been searching but I can't seem to find one. So my last resort was to ask you guys. I've have been getting frustrated all over again to find out how to edit the move description using hex editor. Since my pointers has been changed, most of the tools cannot support my rom. All I use is PGE but it is only able to re-point the description. How do I edit it via Hex editor or there is such tool with available ini so I could edit the text? An answer would be appreciated.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links