Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2009 (03:45 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote originally posted by nibbsy7:
hi, ive been trying to get the natdex to work in firered, but i cant find where to insert the script, when you receive the normal pokedex
i know this :
special 0x1F3
but where do i put it?
thanks in advance
Create a new script and put it in there. Or, you can look in Prof. Oak's lab, and open up the scripts through A-Map and XSE (set XSE as your script editor), and find the script that gives you the Pokédex flag to begin with (I don't know it off the top of my head, but I think it's something like 0x828).
Old June 12th, 2009 (04:23 AM).
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote originally posted by RaycrowX:
I've been trying to insert some maps into my ROM (FireRed) to replace the Safari Zone, but have been having no luck. It always seems to overwrite some of my maps with the map that I just inserted, and I can't seem to be able to fix it. Originally I thought it was the map footer, because I was getting the "Invalid pointer to map footer." on the map after the one I just inserted. But I fixed it using this tutorial. So now a couple maps after the one I just inserted are blank, but I don't care about that, since I was going to replace them anyways. My problem is that when I enter the map before the one I just inserted it warps me to a spot on the one I just inserted. It's something like this:
Spoiler:

Obviously that's not where it's supposed to warp me to. It's not even the right map. I think it's overwriting stuff, but I don't know how to fix it. It looks fine in A-map. This is really important to know before doing other stuff because right now it seems I can't insert any maps. Can anybody help me?
Check the warp numbers.
If they are bigger than the amount of warps in the warp-into map, it will warp you in a random location.
Old June 12th, 2009 (06:56 AM).

Quote originally posted by Zero-the hero of light:

3. can anyone tell me how to use and insert scripts using XSE?

thank you guys so much, ~Zero
I can't give you a solution for your first two problems, sorry, but for the third one there's many tutorials on how to use XSE in the documents and tutorials section, but what you'll want to do is first off use a programme that find free space in the rom (E.G FSF - Free space finder) once you've got a free offset you make a Person Event in A-Map and insert your offset in A map, then just head off to the Documents and Tutorials section and look on how to make scripts in XSE. Don't forget to compile your script once you're done. Sorry i can't show any images, I haven't got enough posts -.-
Old June 12th, 2009 (07:01 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

1.I'm having trouble importing D/P tiles into my fire red. I've tried importing them using advanced map, but since the palletes don't match, it just shows a green block. (is there anyway to change them using uNLZ, without having to change the palletes, if so can anyone give me the offsets for the tree's tall grass, and buildings)?
You'll have to edit the palettes of the DP tiles to fit with the ones in A-Map; I usually just open the tileset in MS Paint, and use the color dropper to pick the colors and edit the tiles.

Oh, wait.. so you haven't changed the palettes? Well, I guess you could insert DP tiles without editing the palettes.. but they'd have the FR palettes. It'd be better for you to learn how to insert palettes, rather than use the old FR ones.

2.Right now I'm trying to edit the trainer sprite on the intros, not the overworld sprites, but I can't find the offsets, or do I need another program?
I believe that the intro trainer sprite is compressed, so you'll have to find it in unLZ.gba. You will need to know where it is located, though (I don't know it off the top of my head, sorry. >: )
Old June 12th, 2009 (07:31 AM).

In the current maps i am working on I keep getting stuck between the connections, it works fine on direction but when i go back the other direction the game semifreezes with no movement, the connections are matched up so it should be able to go back and forth through paths that i made
Old June 12th, 2009 (09:09 AM).

Can somebody tell me how to insert battle backgrounds into a pokemon FireRed rom? A link to a tutorial would be fine. Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2009 (09:27 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by BOBcorevette:
In the current maps i am working on I keep getting stuck between the connections, it works fine on direction but when i go back the other direction the game semifreezes with no movement, the connections are matched up so it should be able to go back and forth through paths that i made
That sometimes happens to me. Did you fix the connection on BOTH maps? Also, remember, one Connection will be postive (such as 8), the joining will be negative (-8)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old June 12th, 2009 (09:39 AM).

thanks Marxvile, i had positive on both now that i adjusted that it works
Old June 12th, 2009 (09:45 AM).

thanks Marxvile, i had positive on both now that i adjusted that it works
Glad I could help. Just remember that fact, as it is 1 of the hardest parts of Mapping in my opinion.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old June 12th, 2009 (09:50 AM).

Firaaz Here is a tutorial
go to pkmn hackers online . com and on the left side is a tutorial for back round editing i dont have 15 posts so i cant put a link
Old June 12th, 2009 (09:55 AM).

go to pkmn hackers online . com and on the left side is a tutorial for back round editing i dont have 15 posts so i cant put a link
I know where you mean... For the place, I think this is it:

http://www.pkmnhackersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&op=readArticle&title=Battle+Background+Editing

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old June 12th, 2009 (10:15 AM).

yep that is the link. thanks for the assistance again Marxvile
Old June 12th, 2009 (04:41 PM).
Mirai Nikki
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero°
Quote originally posted by Atlus:
You'll have to edit the palettes of the DP tiles to fit with the ones in A-Map; I usually just open the tileset in MS Paint, and use the color dropper to pick the colors and edit the tiles.

Oh, wait.. so you haven't changed the palettes? Well, I guess you could insert DP tiles without editing the palettes.. but they'd have the FR palettes. It'd be better for you to learn how to insert palettes, rather than use the old FR ones.
The thing is, whenever I do insert them without editing the palletes the tiles just turn into a green block, and I don't know how to edit the palletes. And whenever I add The DP tiles and edit the palletes, for the trees, It's to big, so it doesn't show the whole tree.

P.S.thank you for answering my questions
Old June 12th, 2009 (04:52 PM).
Head of LG Entertainment

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to nibbsy7
Quote originally posted by Atlus:
Create a new script and put it in there. Or, you can look in Prof. Oak's lab, and open up the scripts through A-Map and XSE (set XSE as your script editor), and find the script that gives you the Pokédex flag to begin with (I don't know it off the top of my head, but I think it's something like 0x828).
I have tried but i cant find the script, I thought i had found it, but nothing different happened. would it be possible for someone to make an ips patch of it? Or make a tutorial, because i am having alot of difficulty making this work.

Pignin the level 89 Swinub!

By nibbsy7
Old June 12th, 2009 (05:01 PM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

The thing is, whenever I do insert them without editing the palletes the tiles just turn into a green block, and I don't know how to edit the palletes. And whenever I add The DP tiles and edit the palletes, for the trees, It's to big, so it doesn't show the whole tree.

P.S.thank you for answering my questions
You kinda contradicted yourself there, saying that you didn't know how to edit palettes, and then you did. o_O

Well, if you know how to edit blocks, palette editing isn't that hard. Just open up the block editor, open up the Palettes menu, and click "Edit Palettes". From there, it's as simple as clicking; I minimize the A-Map window (leaving the palette editor up) and, with my tiles that I want to insert in the background, use the Select Color button. You could also just put in the RGB values for each color.

Quote originally posted by nibbsy7:
I have tried but i cant find the script, I thought i had found it, but nothing different happened. would it be possible for someone to make an ips patch of it? Or make a tutorial, because i am having alot of difficulty making this work.
Yes, I see what you're saying; it's a little bit difficult to find that specific script. gave up after three seconds of looking
If all you want to do is add the National Dex, I would suggest making a script that simply sets that flag, and put it in a spot that the player has to walk through (as a trigger script; the green "S" in the event types).
Old June 12th, 2009 (05:23 PM).
//

Does anyone have a list of Emerald's used variables? I want to be safe when I chose one. XSE's guide said roughly 0x5000 - 0x7FFF is free, but I'm worried I'll interfere with another.
Old June 12th, 2009 (06:03 PM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by mrhiyuck:
Does anyone have a list of Emerald's used variables? I want to be safe when I chose one. XSE's guide said roughly 0x5000 - 0x7FFF is free, but I'm worried I'll interfere with another.
You can probably trust HackMew's judgment on that as if you can't trust his judgment anyways :P; if it's used, you can always edit the script and select another one.
Old June 12th, 2009 (06:10 PM).
Head of LG Entertainment

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to nibbsy7
Thank You So much Atlus! I finally got it working! Your a legend in modern times and in pokemon hacking terms! ive made it so that you walk over a part after viridian city, and it upgrades your dex! thanks so much!

Pignin the level 89 Swinub!

By nibbsy7
Old June 12th, 2009 (07:14 PM).
Beginning ROM Hacker

Quote originally posted by ~Watermelon:
Check the warp numbers.
If they are bigger than the amount of warps in the warp-into map, it will warp you in a random location.
Thanks, ~Watermelon, but I re-checked the warps and all the warps are correct. That's not even the problem because it is warping me to the wrong map. The weird thing is that all the events are still there. When I walk into a map that is supposed to be a small cave with a couple of sprites in it, it warps me to another one of my maps, but still includes the sprites. They are at the right coordinates but on another map. And I am warped to what I think are the right coordinates on that other map. I've included another screenshot so you can see what I mean.
Spoiler:
Now obviously they are not supposed to be there. Correct events, wrong map. That's why I think it's overwriting something. Maybe like the map header or footer or something, because it looks fine in AdvanceMap.
Attached Images
File Type: png MapOverwriteWithEvents.png‎ (8.4 KB, 249 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old June 12th, 2009 (10:49 PM).
Chief Lunatic

Hey, on XSE is there a way to open up scripts that are already in the game? Like a search box or something
Old June 13th, 2009 (12:46 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Yes, just highlight the script tile and press open script.
Old June 13th, 2009 (12:47 AM).
When disaster strikes!

I have a few questions these are all on fire red.

1. On other peoples roms when you beat a gym leader it will say there name and give you badge but i can't change that on advance text it still says [player] got boulderbadge from brock how do i cnage it.

2.on the intro bit before you choose your name and stuff where it tells you the buttons people have changed that how do i?

3.How do i make an IPS file and put it up for download?
Old June 13th, 2009 (12:50 AM).
Red Dead Revolver

Nature: Modest
that UNLZ really hates me,I've tried to replace the 1st empty slot with a magmortar here's the magmortar it's indexed:
when I find the empty slot(it's look this ?? with green back color)and then I insert the magmortar I just see nothing,no picture I replaced the offset with 800010 that I found on unlz and did anything and this is my final result: ignore my missingno
Old June 13th, 2009 (12:58 AM).

Quote originally posted by Marxvile:
I know where you mean... For the place, I think this is it:

Thank you, this will be very helpful.
Old June 13th, 2009 (04:29 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
hey, I wanna have a shiny at the start of the game. How do i do this?

Sponsored Links