Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2009 (06:28 PM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote originally posted by SynjoDeonecros:
Tried that too, and it's one of the ones that keeps on rejecting the tilesets I have, so that won't work.

The most promising one for me seems to be Tile Mapper, since you can adjust the tiles to whatever size you need, but unfortunately it keeps on crashing on me AND it refuses to load any of the files I save on it. Has anyone here had any experience with this program? If so, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong with it?
What exactly are you trying to do with it? And what are you using for the tilesets?
Old June 14th, 2009 (07:21 PM). Edited June 14th, 2009 by SynjoDeonecros.

Quote originally posted by Atlus:
What exactly are you trying to do with it? And what are you using for the tilesets?
I'm using various .png files I got online, mostly ones created for Hoenn and GBA-style Kanto and Johto maps; a lot of them came from this forum. As for what I'm trying to do with it, I'm just trying to create maps for the new region I created for a fanfic project I'm working on. All of the tile map editors I've tried using either have a tile limit so low, it's impossible for me to do anything with them, or they require the tilemaps to be of a ridiculous extension, like .xtv or something else I can't reproduce. And most of them end up crashing on me for no reason while I'm using them; I was trying to make a worldmap on Tile Mapper, for example, and it froze up when I tried saving my progress for a second time, forcing me to shut it down and lose everything, and for some reason, it refuses to load the map file I DID manage to save.

I'm not doing anything drastic with them, I'm just using them in the way they were intended. I dunno why they're crashing on me, except maybe that they hate being used on Vista. I'd like to try and solve the problem I'm having with File Mapper, since I really like how you can grid the tilesets yourself and resize them any way you wish, meaning I don't have to worry about missized tilemaps, but any workable tilemapper would be fine.

Edit: Looking back at Tile Mapper, it looks like I can export my maps as .png files, like I wanted, so all I really need is someone with experience with the program that can help me fix its tendency to crash and not upload any of the map files it creates.
Old June 14th, 2009 (08:18 PM). Edited June 14th, 2009 by Kalsard.
Looking for time travellers.

Nature: Calm
No one saw my question, prob cause it was at the bottom of the post...
but is it possible to release a party pokemon?
Thanks
Sorry didnt explain this well.
Is it possible to release a party pokemon using a script?

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

Old June 14th, 2009 (09:28 PM).
What, nine thousand?!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to u0850913
Quote originally posted by Kalsard:
Thanks
=/
Either I have no idea what you're talking about, or you posted this in the wrong section.
Old June 14th, 2009 (10:55 PM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Thanks
No. I think this has been asked before. I don't think it is possible, as there isn't a command for it I think.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old June 15th, 2009 (12:23 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Thanks
Only by using ASM. Period.
Old June 15th, 2009 (03:26 AM).
Bad Mood :X

Quote originally posted by Atlus:
Well, what exactly did you do? If you did it "completely right", as you said, then it should have worked. :/
Please, explain a bit more.

Okay, then, I'll tell you to read someone's tutorial that they've written here on the forums. Honestly, no one's going to write a script for you, unless they're on your team. Seriously, writing a simple script such as a Gym battle shouldn't be that hard.

No, but there are plenty of tutorials.

Uh, sorry? I dunno what you mean. :3

Uh, that's what XSE is for. And that's what all of the XSE tutorials are for. Go read up on a couple of those.

Ah, no, I know what you did. I am assuming you inserted it into the Charizard? The only thing that you actually did was insert the Ho-oh image. You also have to put in the raw. However, unlike what a lot of people think, the next image is the raw. At the Charizard, click on the Next Image (or whatever it's called). It shouldn't look like a Charizard at all. Next, click "Dump Raw". Sorry, but you'll have to re-do the tilemap; just open NTME and do it like you did before (except load whatever you dumped as the raw first as the tilemap). Now, when you're finished with that, re-save the tilemap, and load that raw into where you dumped the first one. That should fix your problem. :3
Yeah i know,i already loaded the raw.
Hmm maybe the tileset is too big?
Cause i already did this before,but with smaller sprites,such
as giratina,rayquaza,palkia,lucario etc.and the backgrounds too
withought srewing it up..
Old June 15th, 2009 (03:41 AM).
Ruler of Space

Nature: Naive
in firered, is there a way to do the sprite animation of deoxys to another pokemon

Old June 15th, 2009 (05:17 AM).
Red Dead Revolver

Nature: Modest
I've got a tile problem.I download a rom base with kyledove tiles,it's fine but when I exit out of the house I see this:
then after I go to another map and back to the glitched house it's got no problems and looks good,what to do?
Old June 15th, 2009 (05:18 AM). Edited June 15th, 2009 by BlitŻ.
guahh my dog is so cute
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by super chimchar 09:
in firered, is there a way to do the sprite animation of deoxys to another pokemon
if its the OW sprite, you just export it, go to your image you want changed, import it and changet the pallette...
but if you mean you deoxys moveswhen you send him out into battle, well that would be hard to change, because each movement is a different sprite, so the only way I would know would just recreate your sprite to have the same movements. An the spritees only really move if it's on emerald

But I have my own problem, I'm trying to get a pallette from visual boy advance, but when I open it with my rom and go to tools, the pallette isn't highlighted and I can't click on it. Do I have some setting unchecked or something?
any help is appreciated

Quote originally posted by onyx79:
I've got a tile problem.I download a rom base with kyledove tiles,it's fine but when I exit out of the house I see this:
then after I go to another map and back to the glitched house it's got no problems and looks good,what to do?
The only reason I would see this hapenning would be that the tileset you walked into is different that is regularly is, but that only happens with tile connections.

I'm not experienced with these sorta of things, but what I would do is make an IpS patch of your rom, patch it to another game and test it out, It might work. But if it doesen't, try transferrring your maps, scripts, and everything to another rom. and btw, whrere do you get the rom base?
Old June 15th, 2009 (05:29 AM).
Please understand
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by onyx79:
The door animation muck up the last tiles in a row. Go into the tileset and move all the house tiles up one tile, and fix the blocks.
It happened to me with my PKMN center.

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
GBA Intro Manager
Old June 15th, 2009 (07:05 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by SynjoDeonecros:
I'm using various .png files I got online, mostly ones created for Hoenn and GBA-style Kanto and Johto maps; a lot of them came from this forum. As for what I'm trying to do with it, I'm just trying to create maps for the new region I created for a fanfic project I'm working on. All of the tile map editors I've tried using either have a tile limit so low, it's impossible for me to do anything with them, or they require the tilemaps to be of a ridiculous extension, like .xtv or something else I can't reproduce. And most of them end up crashing on me for no reason while I'm using them; I was trying to make a worldmap on Tile Mapper, for example, and it froze up when I tried saving my progress for a second time, forcing me to shut it down and lose everything, and for some reason, it refuses to load the map file I DID manage to save.

I'm not doing anything drastic with them, I'm just using them in the way they were intended. I dunno why they're crashing on me, except maybe that they hate being used on Vista. I'd like to try and solve the problem I'm having with File Mapper, since I really like how you can grid the tilesets yourself and resize them any way you wish, meaning I don't have to worry about missized tilemaps, but any workable tilemapper would be fine.

Edit: Looking back at Tile Mapper, it looks like I can export my maps as .png files, like I wanted, so all I really need is someone with experience with the program that can help me fix its tendency to crash and not upload any of the map files it creates.
Well, I apologize, but I have no idea how to help you out there. ;P I've just gotten started using tilemap editors, and NTME's the only one that I've used. :/

Quote originally posted by Reb:
Yeah i know,i already loaded the raw.
Hmm maybe the tileset is too big?
Cause i already did this before,but with smaller sprites,such
as giratina,rayquaza,palkia,lucario etc.and the backgrounds too
withought srewing it up..
Did you load the raw in the correct place? Remember, you don't load the raw over the picture of the Charizard; you load it over the next image.

Also, I don't think the tileset can get too big, unless it's larger than the titlescreen itself, which doesn't make any sense at all. I'm pretty sure you're just loading the raw in the wrong spot.

Quote originally posted by super chimchar 09:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. And, as far as I know, there aren't any sprite animations of any Pokémon in FireRed.
Old June 15th, 2009 (07:14 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by Vednix:
No. It is the normal pallette and i did not put a blank offset for the pallette as the tutorial said not to.

Um. Just asking if someone can answer my question? it's two pages back.
Old June 15th, 2009 (07:22 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Vednix:
Um. Just asking if someone can answer my question? it's two pages back.
If your having real problems just re-point the two offsets. Then delete the .spr and .pal extension files. It will be in a different location in unlz.gba.
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:01 AM).
Back for now.

Nature: Relaxed
Hmm, I have a question about running A-Map. Is it possible to export a tileset as an image file (.bmp or .dib?) If so, how can you do it?
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:02 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by Melash:
Hmm, I have a question about running A-Map. Is it possible to export a tileset as an image file (.bmp or .dib?) If so, how can you do it?
Easy:

Go to Block Editor, then the menu Picture - Save Tileset (1 or 2). Saves it as a picture. Change pallette with the dropdown menu near the centre of the Block Editor window.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old June 15th, 2009 (08:05 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by Melash:

This is reasonably easy. Open your ROM in A-map (I use 1.92), open up the map wiht the tilesets you want, or the ones you want to change, click the jigsaw peice, then you should see the tileset. then go Picture, then save tileset1. Then you can save it as a .dib
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:18 AM).
Back to Hacking after exams!!!

How do I edit Blocks in A-Map when I save them in .BVD Format...because in the Tileset I cannot see everything like Houses full Pokemon Center,etc

Click on the Banner to go to main thread
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:20 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

You need to save it as .dib or .bmp. And make your your on the right pal
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:34 AM).
You are now breathing manually

Nature: Lax
I have three questions, relating to Ruby version...

1. In both players starting houses, whenever I put a brown dirt tile in a certain location, instead I get a different one... this happens for every ruby ROM I do, so I don't think that its the ROM.... I could be wrong though. Here's the picture:

Spoiler:

2. Is there a way to edit/remove the Pokeball animations/text that goes along with catching a Pokemon? My hack is going to use some sort of Pokeball-less taming to get Pokemon, and I need to remove them from the game. How would I go about this? Would I have to use uNLZ or something awfully difficult like ASM?

3. How exatcly do you work a hex editor? whenever I search for a word the game uses that I want to edit, say, Magma, I do not find it in the hex column or the ASCII coulmn. Do I need a new hex editor or am I missing something entirely? (BTW I'm using a program called HexEdit)

Thank you!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:47 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by PlatniumPiano:
I have three questions, relating to Ruby version...

1. In both players starting houses, whenever I put a brown dirt tile in a certain location, instead I get a different one... this happens for every ruby ROM I do, so I don't think that its the ROM.... I could be wrong though. Here's the picture:

Spoiler:

Thank you!
Well, I dunno much about your other two questions, but I believe this has something to do with a level script. Remove all of the level scripts and see what happens. :3
Old June 15th, 2009 (08:48 AM).
J946@5488AA97464

3. How exatcly do you work a hex editor? whenever I search for a word the game uses that I want to edit, say, Magma, I do not find it in the hex column or the ASCII coulmn. Do I need a new hex editor or am I missing something entirely? (BTW I'm using a program called HexEdit)
You need a table file to see the correct letters. Try using the relative search option if your editor has one.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old June 15th, 2009 (09:30 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

2. Is there a way to edit/remove the Pokeball animations/text that goes along with catching a Pokemon? My hack is going to use some sort of Pokeball-less taming to get Pokemon, and I need to remove them from the game. How would I go about this? Would I have to use uNLZ or something awfully difficult like ASM?
unLZ won't help much at all... you might hide the balls, but the text would be still there. So you need something awfully difficult aka ASM.
Old June 15th, 2009 (09:57 AM).
Beginning ROM Hacker

My post earlier kind of got buried, but I'd still like an answer. I can't go on with my hack until this problem is resolved. Any help is appreciated.

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by RaycrowX:
I've been trying to insert some maps into my ROM (FireRed) to replace the Safari Zone, but have been having no luck. It always seems to overwrite some of my maps with the map that I just inserted, and I can't seem to be able to fix it. Originally I thought it was the map footer, because I was getting the "Invalid pointer to map footer." on the map after the one I just inserted. But I fixed it using this tutorial. So now a couple maps after the one I just inserted are blank, but I don't care about that, since I was going to replace them anyways. My problem is that when I enter the map before the one I just inserted it warps me to a spot on the one I just inserted. It's something like this:

Obviously that's not where it's supposed to warp me to. It's not even the right map. I think it's overwriting stuff, but I don't know how to fix it. It looks fine in A-map. This is really important to know before doing other stuff because right now it seems I can't insert any maps. Can anybody help me?
Quote originally posted by RaycrowX:
Thanks, ~Watermelon, but I re-checked the warps and all the warps are correct. That's not even the problem because it is warping me to the wrong map. The weird thing is that all the events are still there. When I walk into a map that is supposed to be a small cave with a couple of sprites in it, it warps me to another one of my maps, but still includes the sprites. They are at the right coordinates but on another map. And I am warped to what I think are the right coordinates on that other map. I've included another screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Now obviously they are not supposed to be there. Correct events, wrong map. That's why I think it's overwriting something. Maybe like the map header or footer or something, because it looks fine in AdvanceMap.
Old June 15th, 2009 (11:07 AM).
Back for now.

Nature: Relaxed
Hmm...there isn't anyway to save the block data from a ROM as an image file, is there? (A-Map, of course)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links