Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2009 (04:03 PM).

Can anyone tell me how or where to get /open the "Palette View"?
Old June 15th, 2009 (07:51 PM).
You are now breathing manually

Nature: Lax
I have a somewhat major problem. In a map I have, there is a givepokemon event. If the event does not occur, I can enter/leave the house freely. When the event does occur though, (the flag has been "set") I can go to the lower level of the map, but not to the upper level, or other warp. When I try to leave via the upper level, the screen goes black. Is this a problem with my ROM, and am I going to have to start over, or is it a level script problem? The reason I say this is because I recently added a level scipt outside the map where the givepokemon event occurs. It is supposed to check a flag, flag 800, being the Pokemon flag, then hide a sprite if the flag has been set. I think this might be the culprit because flag 800 is set in the givepokemon map, and when I try to exit, the level script somehow cannot figure out how to hide a sprite if I have a Pokemon with me. Or maybe I messed up and need to read a level scripting tutorial. Could I have some help? I still want the sprite hidden, I just want to be able to come onto that map as well

Help is very much appreciated.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
Old June 15th, 2009 (10:37 PM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by Melash:
Hmm...there isn't anyway to save the block data from a ROM as an image file, is there? (A-Map, of course)

When saving it, you can try selecting all files instead of .dib, then typing ".bmp" (without quotes) after the name you put in. that mgiht work.

Also, to do wiht my problem, I put free offsets for both the pallette and the image, and it still does it
Old June 15th, 2009 (10:51 PM).
Rom Hacker

i have a question is it possible to add new overworlds to pokemon emerald.
Old June 15th, 2009 (11:43 PM).

*sigh* Well since no one seemed all that interested in replying to my past post I guess no one knew much about it.

So I'd like to suggestions, besides advance-text, which tools could help me translate the japanese version of pokemon fire red's attacks and pokemon names?

A good portion of tools simply don't want anything to do with the japanese version so it would help if someone could give me a hint.
Old June 15th, 2009 (11:56 PM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by final_agent:
*sigh* Well since no one seemed all that interested in replying to my past post I guess no one knew much about it.

So I'd like to suggestions, besides advance-text, which tools could help me translate the japanese version of pokemon fire red's attacks and pokemon names?

A good portion of tools simply don't want anything to do with the japanese version so it would help if someone could give me a hint.
For what reason are you translating the Japanese one when the game exists in so many languages!
Silly Silly person!
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old June 16th, 2009 (05:38 AM).
lol --

Can someone please give me a link to a download of Trainer Edit?

Thanks in advance.

Old June 16th, 2009 (07:48 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Well, I find A-Trainer much more efficient. Try it out, just go to the toolbox and go to Hackmew's thread
Old June 16th, 2009 (08:06 AM).
WA ! WA !ワリオ!
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by theswordbuggy:
i have a question is it possible to add new overworlds to pokemon emerald.
If they're in the same colour pallette, unless you pallette edit, too.
Old June 16th, 2009 (08:47 AM).
lol --

Quote originally posted by Goodies:
Well, I find A-Trainer much more efficient. Try it out, just go to the toolbox and go to Hackmew's thread ;)
I have already tried it, but it has a bad glitch that I can't fix or work with, so I have to use Trainer Edit instead. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

So does anyone have a link to a download of Trainer Edit?

Old June 16th, 2009 (09:03 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Maybe we could help you with the error? Maybe ask hackmew? I'm intrigued, are you adding the new trainers next to each other? As that is often a problem, I suggest putting a space or two between each trainer.
Old June 16th, 2009 (09:10 AM).
lol --

Maybe we could help you with the error? Maybe ask hackmew? I'm intrigued, are you adding the new trainers next to each other? As that is often a problem, I suggest putting a space or two between each trainer.
Well, I'm trying to give Roxanne a Lv. 20 Pupitar as her last Pokemon, but when I save and go on to Brawly, he has the Lv. 20 Pupitar as his first Pokemon! So I change it to a Lv. 24 Machop, and then I go back to Roxanne, and now she has the Lv. 24 Machop instead of the Pupitar! Do you know of any way to fix it?

Old June 16th, 2009 (09:16 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

You just make a new trainer with the sprite, music and Pokémon etc. And then change the script to have that trainer ID. That should work.
Old June 16th, 2009 (09:39 AM).
lol --

You just make a new trainer with the sprite, music and Pokémon etc. And then change the script to have that trainer ID. That should work.
Thanks! It's working now.

Old June 16th, 2009 (12:53 PM).

Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
For what reason are you translating the Japanese one when the game exists in so many languages!
Silly Silly person!
I explained it before and that's not an answer!

Translating because the fire red version I'll be messing with will barely be fire red anymore by the time the japanese are done with it (new game mechanics and new storyline).

Someone mentionned something about transfering the patches or data or whatever but since he didn't really explain I can't really even begin to imagine what he meant.
Old June 16th, 2009 (01:10 PM).
More cowbell~
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by SynjoDeonecros:
I'm using various .png files I got online, mostly ones created for Hoenn and GBA-style Kanto and Johto maps; a lot of them came from this forum. As for what I'm trying to do with it, I'm just trying to create maps for the new region I created for a fanfic project I'm working on. All of the tile map editors I've tried using either have a tile limit so low, it's impossible for me to do anything with them, or they require the tilemaps to be of a ridiculous extension, like .xtv or something else I can't reproduce. And most of them end up crashing on me for no reason while I'm using them; I was trying to make a worldmap on Tile Mapper, for example, and it froze up when I tried saving my progress for a second time, forcing me to shut it down and lose everything, and for some reason, it refuses to load the map file I DID manage to save.

I'm not doing anything drastic with them, I'm just using them in the way they were intended. I dunno why they're crashing on me, except maybe that they hate being used on Vista. I'd like to try and solve the problem I'm having with File Mapper, since I really like how you can grid the tilesets yourself and resize them any way you wish, meaning I don't have to worry about missized tilemaps, but any workable tilemapper would be fine.

Edit: Looking back at Tile Mapper, it looks like I can export my maps as .png files, like I wanted, so all I really need is someone with experience with the program that can help me fix its tendency to crash and not upload any of the map files it creates.
Well there is an alternative. Make the tilemap with a hex editor
Old June 16th, 2009 (06:37 PM).
Newb

Nature: Hasty
Okay, well still wrestling with code and didn't think this was serious enough or relative too much to the script help.

Anyways, for some reason as I put more and more code into my stuff things get buggy. But not to the point where I can't play, just to the point where anyone would look and be like, "Man a newb made this crap".

The main problem currently is:
Start Menu in Pokemon (FR) has this weird static bar going across the DESCRIPTION text (blue) bar. Also, when I use some commands like GIVE, strange ASCII text scrolls over it. It doesn't hurt the game's integrity or action, just looks dumb.

Any solutions or tips?

Epic-Nerd-Fail
Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Number Prince:
And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
Spoiler:
Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
Spoiler:
This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
Old June 16th, 2009 (06:40 PM).

Okay so I'm having the hardest time with P.E.T. Whenever I try to change trainer pics or Pokemon, I get a Run-time error telling me that I'm missing a directory path to a bitmap. Is there a bitmap directory I can download somewhere, or what can I do to alleviate this problem?
Old June 16th, 2009 (08:24 PM).
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote originally posted by Reign2010:
Okay so I'm having the hardest time with P.E.T. Whenever I try to change trainer pics or Pokemon, I get a Run-time error telling me that I'm missing a directory path to a bitmap. Is there a bitmap directory I can download somewhere, or what can I do to alleviate this problem?
I think you have to download rsball and export all the images. Then you put them in the same folder. Thats probably why it says that.

Quote originally posted by [BlackEyedHacker]:
Okay, well still wrestling with code and didn't think this was serious enough or relative too much to the script help.

Anyways, for some reason as I put more and more code into my stuff things get buggy. But not to the point where I can't play, just to the point where anyone would look and be like, "Man a newb made this crap".

The main problem currently is:
Start Menu in Pokemon (FR) has this weird static bar going across the DESCRIPTION text (blue) bar. Also, when I use some commands like GIVE, strange ASCII text scrolls over it. It doesn't hurt the game's integrity or action, just looks dumb.

Any solutions or tips?
Don't take this as an official answer but I think maybe you went over freespace? idk like I said dont use this as your final answer.
Accept no imitations!
Old June 16th, 2009 (08:36 PM).
Newb

Can you elaborate on freespace? I am guessing you mean, went over the size alotted by my rom?
This sounds like it would be some what correct. I know something is overlapping and causing Hex's to clash and bytes to go crazy which causes these random glitches..

Epic-Nerd-Fail
Spoiler:
And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
Spoiler:
Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
Spoiler:
This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
Old June 16th, 2009 (08:49 PM).

Omg. Thank you so much! You've been such a great help!
Old June 16th, 2009 (09:24 PM).
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote originally posted by [BlackEyedHacker]:
Can you elaborate on freespace? I am guessing you mean, went over the size alotted by my rom?
This sounds like it would be some what correct. I know something is overlapping and causing Hex's to clash and bytes to go crazy which causes these random glitches..
well In fire red I think free space is 00. (correct me if I'm wrong.
For ruby I'm 100% sure its FF.
Quote originally posted by Reign2010:
Omg. Thank you so much! You've been such a great help!
No problem. I assume that worked?
Accept no imitations!
Old June 16th, 2009 (09:35 PM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Gamer2020:
well In fire red I think free space is 00. (correct me if I'm wrong.
For ruby I'm 100% sure its FF.

No problem. I assume that worked?
FF is Fire Red

I would know, since I am a Fire Red Hacker...

Don't ever overwrite 00 in Fire Red... BAD move, lol.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old June 16th, 2009 (09:38 PM).
Newb

Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
FF is Fire Red

I would know, since I am a Fire Red Hacker...

Don't ever overwrite 00 in Fire Red... BAD move, lol.
Well it's not freespace then, because I leave it on default of FF...

Man, this is bothering me.

XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.

Epic-Nerd-Fail
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old June 16th, 2009 (10:38 PM).
Hacker in Training

Nature: Relaxed
Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links