Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2009 (10:48 PM). Edited June 16th, 2009 by [BlackEyedHacker].
Newb

Nature: Hasty
Strange I am having the same problems. It's strange, when I use the GOTO button in AM, it takes me where I had defined. But in game, it does nothing. I am on the verge of pulling the vista card. [Vista Card=The ultimate blame card for anything, blame vista x32/x64.].

Epic-Nerd-Fail
Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Number Prince:
And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
Spoiler:
Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
Spoiler:
This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
Old June 17th, 2009 (12:08 AM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Exon:
Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
(In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old June 17th, 2009 (12:34 AM).
Newb

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
(In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)
I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?

Epic-Nerd-Fail
Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Number Prince:
And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
Spoiler:
Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
Spoiler:
This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
Old June 17th, 2009 (02:08 AM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by [BlackEyedHacker]:
I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?
The tile has to have certain properties.
So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
00 | 02
Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old June 17th, 2009 (06:19 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by [BlackEyedHacker]:
XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.
XSE always compile everything right. It's just your fault. You can't decompile a script, add some commands and then happily recompile. "But..." No, you can't. Direct recompile is only applicable when you just edit/remove stuff (e.g. you change some parameters). In any other case you need to repoint the script somewhere else using dynamic labels.
Old June 17th, 2009 (06:37 AM).

how do you change grass animations in pokemon emerald (or ruby)?

favorite pokemon:
zangoose
charizard
seviper

my favorite hack is pokemon ruby destiny reign of legends.

the sprite below is credited all to pokehacklucario.(which is me)its name is charphlosion.
Old June 17th, 2009 (07:08 AM).
More cowbell~
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by pokehacklucario:
how do you change grass animations in pokemon emerald (or ruby)?
Use a Tile Viewer e.g. Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro
Old June 17th, 2009 (11:01 AM).
guahh my dog is so cute
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
For my hack, I'm replacing many of the usual pokemon elements with other stuff.

For instance the thing I need.

I need to findout how to change how the pokeball looks when you throw it to capture and send out your pokemon. Anybody know how to do it?

This is really needed for my hack, becuase without, things realy don't click.
Old June 17th, 2009 (11:39 AM).
Beginning ROM Hacker

Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by RaycrowX:
I've been trying to insert some maps into my ROM (FireRed) to replace the Safari Zone, but have been having no luck. It always seems to overwrite some of my maps with the map that I just inserted, and I can't seem to be able to fix it. Originally I thought it was the map footer, because I was getting the "Invalid pointer to map footer." on the map after the one I just inserted. But I fixed it using this tutorial. So now a couple maps after the one I just inserted are blank, but I don't care about that, since I was going to replace them anyways. My problem is that when I enter the map before the one I just inserted it warps me to a spot on the one I just inserted. It's something like this:

Obviously that's not where it's supposed to warp me to. It's not even the right map. I think it's overwriting stuff, but I don't know how to fix it. It looks fine in A-map. This is really important to know before doing other stuff because right now it seems I can't insert any maps. Can anybody help me?
Thanks, ~Watermelon, but I re-checked the warps and all the warps are correct. That's not even the problem because it is warping me to the wrong map. The weird thing is that all the events are still there. When I walk into a map that is supposed to be a small cave with a couple of sprites in it, it warps me to another one of my maps, but still includes the sprites. They are at the right coordinates but on another map. And I am warped to what I think are the right coordinates on that other map. I've included another screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Now obviously they are not supposed to be there. Correct events, wrong map. That's why I think it's overwriting something. Maybe like the map header or footer or something, because it looks fine in AdvanceMap.
Old June 17th, 2009 (12:18 PM).
Please understand
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
On the glitched Safari Zone map, go into the Header menu, press Ctrl+H to go into advance header mode, then find free space in your rom, depending on how big it is (1000 bytes to be safe). Then take this offset, go down to the Map offset box, and paste in there. Then click, Save changes and reload map. Then test it out!

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
GBA Intro Manager
Old June 17th, 2009 (07:27 PM).
Hacker in Training

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
The tile has to have certain properties.
So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
00 | 02
Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.
Thanks a lot! Thinks are working almost 100% correctly. There's still some minor stuff to do here and there but those things I'll figure out on my own.

-Yay-

Anyways, I have 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you all for a while. (hopefully)
Q1- What tile am I supposed to use as the border for the insides of buildings. I tried using block editor and turning a tile completely black to match the other "borders" that are on the in-game maps i.e. Pokemon Centers, Day Care, every other building in the game nearly....but it doesn't work. I'm not completely sure on how to make this look right.

The truly important Q2- Alright, so I've added a second map to the game. However, whenever I try to go to the map via the warp that's set up, the ROM crashes. I'm thinking that I need to find free space on the ROM like diegoisawesome told RaycrowX but I'm not entirely sure. Is this the case? And if so, how would I find the free space?
I was also thinking that I might need to expand the ROM itself to add space and everything would be fine, but again, I'm not sure on this and don't quite know how to do that either if needed...

Thanks once again.
-Exon-

(Maybe I should just stick to Mapping/Spriting lol)
Old June 17th, 2009 (08:51 PM). Edited June 18th, 2009 by Kalsard.
Looking for time travellers.

Nature: Calm
um -post above-
Try reinserting the map in, that happens to me sometimes.
Q: If I wanted to edit a set healing place, how would I start, like set healing place 1 is your mum, how would you change that, position, map bank and script of talking?

Also does anyone know of the offsets for the intro script, or how to edit the rival scene (I dont want to name a rival, kind of like Ruby), does advance text work?
Thanks

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

Old June 17th, 2009 (11:41 PM).
Rom Hacker

i have a question. how do you add new overworlds to pokemon emerald
Old June 18th, 2009 (02:29 AM).
Hold Your Colour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Is it possible to change wild pkmn data for a map (temporary and/or permanent) through a script?
Old June 18th, 2009 (04:16 AM).
Please understand
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Exon:
Thanks a lot! Thinks are working almost 100% correctly. There's still some minor stuff to do here and there but those things I'll figure out on my own.

-Yay-

Anyways, I have 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you all for a while. (hopefully)
Q1- What tile am I supposed to use as the border for the insides of buildings. I tried using block editor and turning a tile completely black to match the other "borders" that are on the in-game maps i.e. Pokemon Centers, Day Care, every other building in the game nearly....but it doesn't work. I'm not completely sure on how to make this look right.

The truly important Q2- Alright, so I've added a second map to the game. However, whenever I try to go to the map via the warp that's set up, the ROM crashes. I'm thinking that I need to find free space on the ROM like diegoisawesome told RaycrowX but I'm not entirely sure. Is this the case? And if so, how would I find the free space?
I was also thinking that I might need to expand the ROM itself to add space and everything would be fine, but again, I'm not sure on this and don't quite know how to do that either if needed...

Thanks once again.
-Exon-

(Maybe I should just stick to Mapping/Spriting lol)
Insert the map into itself.
[offtopic]10000th post in the thread!

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
GBA Intro Manager
Old June 18th, 2009 (04:32 AM).
guahh my dog is so cute
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Kalsard:
um -post above-
Try reinserting the map in, that happens to me sometimes.
Q: If I wanted to edit a set healing place, how would I start, like set healing place 1 is your mum, how would you change that, position, map bank and script of talking?

Also does anyone know of the offsets for the intro script, or how to edit the rival scene (I dont want to name a rival, kind of like Ruby), does advance text work?
Thanks

Yes, I think you could use advance text to take away where it says "this is your rival,umm what is his name now." But it might just take away the text and not the naming thing :/ JUst make sure to have a permanent backup of your rom before doing it XD
Old June 18th, 2009 (08:34 AM).
A Mudkip

I looked, didn't find anything. I just got advance map today, and I am wondering-how do I go and play on the map? I already have warps.
Old June 18th, 2009 (09:05 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by ATM the Mudkip:
I looked, didn't find anything. I just got advance map today, and I am wondering-how do I go and play on the map? I already have warps.
You would have to save what you have done so far and then play your ROM in a GBA emulator. Thats the only way of doing it.
Old June 18th, 2009 (09:10 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by -DarK-:
Is it possible to change wild pkmn data for a map (temporary and/or permanent) through a script?
The wild Pokémon data is stored into ROM therefore it can't be changed through a script. You would have to make a custom ASM routine that loads the data from RAM instead.
Old June 18th, 2009 (11:05 AM).
Hacker in Training

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by diegoisawesome:
Insert the map into itself.
[offtopic]10000th post in the thread!
Unfortunately, this didn't work, I tried doing the re-insert twice just to be sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but to no avail. Are there any other ways I could try to fix this?

EDIT- I have tried some other things...like looking for free space w/ FSF and using the offset given and using it as the map offset. Usually this didn't work, but there were one or two offsets where the map was accessible but looked wacky, had no pokes, ect.
Old June 18th, 2009 (12:04 PM).

im looking for a program that will allow me to edit the sprites where you throw the pokeball in the battle scenes. I've looked, but can't find anything. can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old June 18th, 2009 (12:04 PM).
A Mudkip

Quote originally posted by Vednix:
You would have to save what you have done so far and then play your ROM in a GBA emulator. Thats the only way of doing it.
Wait-what? Could you explain a little better?
Old June 18th, 2009 (12:06 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by togusa_9890:
im looking for a program that will allow me to edit the sprites where you throw the pokeball in the battle scenes. I've looked, but can't find anything. can anyone point me in the right direction?
The back sprites? These can be easily edited in Tile Molester alternate, just google it. It's needs to be alternate so it can load .pal files. Look in the tutorials sub-forum if you need to know how to do it ;P
Old June 18th, 2009 (01:25 PM).
I'm back, baby!

Errr....I'm trying to insert a tileset into Advancemap. I understand everything...except the guy who made the tiles didn't put in a background color, and I'm confused how to. What does it specifically have to be? If anyone can explain or point me to a place that thoroughly explians, that would help a million.

I SUPPORTQUOTECREDITHACK
Old June 18th, 2009 (01:39 PM).

how do i edit the title screen of f\r without buying anything?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links