Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2009 (04:40 AM).
Advanced Music Remixer

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to 3dd13
Quote originally posted by e4darthteej:
1:What game should I start out with hacking?

2:Are there any AdvanceMap scripting tutorials?
i suggest firered version, as it is the most stable.
as for scripting, took for deagoisawsomes tutorial in the tutorial section. also, you use xse to script, not advancemap.
i hope this helps.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 14th, 2009 (04:46 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by 3dd13:
i suggest firered version, as it is the most stable.
as for scripting, took for deagoisawsomes tutorial in the tutorial section. also, you use xse to script, not advancemap.
i hope this helps.
What i have underlined is wrong, and something I forgot to rant about.

All ROM's are stable, the tools aren't stable to certain ROM's, and Ruby is perfectly OK to hack.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 14th, 2009 (08:05 AM).
Brick Break

Nature: Careful
I don't understand, what does stability means on a hack? Why leaf green it's not as good as fire red at hacking? How do you define stablity on pokemon hacking?:\

link:\

and...so it is....
Old August 14th, 2009 (08:07 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by Outbreak:
I don't understand, what does stability means on a hack? Why leaf green it's not as good as fire red at hacking? How do you define stablity on pokemon hacking?:\
Leafgree has less tools for it, and the existing tools don't work too well on it. That is stability, but not of the ROM, but of the tool. Some tools are stable on some ROMs, but not others.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 14th, 2009 (08:59 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
There is no such thing as an unstable ROM; all of them can be hacked appropriately. Like Banjora said, though, the tools are the problem in that situation: quite a few of them use set offsets, and because those are different between the games, that means that some tools that work for one game won't work for another. FireRed and Ruby are the most widely used ROMs because there are more tools for those two, is all.
Old August 14th, 2009 (09:17 AM).
Back to Hacking after exams!!!

Nature: Calm
My Question:
If we make a new HM Move in a game then is it necessary that we have to win a badge to activate it?
For Example if I insert 3 More HMs in Fire Red do I have to earn some badge to activate them?

Click on the Banner to go to main thread
Old August 14th, 2009 (09:55 AM).
Game Developer

My Question:
How come in some maps the running shoes will work, but in others they will not?
Old August 14th, 2009 (09:59 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote originally posted by Xatoku:
My Question:
How come in some maps the running shoes will work, but in others they will not?

it depends on what they're labeled, I think. in advance map, under header, there are labels for each map. if it's route, city, town, cave ect, then the running shoes will work. if its labeled indoors, they wont.
Old August 14th, 2009 (10:15 AM).
NOOBIE HACKER

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to k1ng0fh3artz
1 of my questions seems to have gotten over looked is it because its been answered ?

sorry to repost but id really like to kno this question

im doing scripting in notepad and fromt he tutorials i watch on youtube you save it as rbc well when i do it comes up as one of thos junk file you cant do anything with and if you right click it compile isnt there am i doing something wrong?
Old August 14th, 2009 (10:19 AM).
Phantom of the Internet

i tried looking for anything but i wasn't sure how to word the question to even look... so here it is.

Is there a way to make wild pokemon act like trainers? Like.. for example.. you walk along a path, and there is a Cubone sprite along the wall... you walk in front of it.. the cubone runs towards you like a trainer would but a wild battle starts rather than a trainer.
Old August 14th, 2009 (10:45 AM). Edited August 14th, 2009 by NarutoActor.
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
yes this is acualy quit easy Make an event tile when you step on it the person event (cubone) movesfrom one spot to the spot the player is at then in script make a wildbattle 0x(pokemon) 0x(level) 0x(item) the line will start a wildbattle also make sure you set a flag so the cubone will disapear :D hoped I help If you have know Idea what I am talking about PM me and I will go into more depth

Quote originally posted by k1ng0fh3artz:
1 of my questions seems to have gotten over looked is it because its been answered ?

sorry to repost but id really like to kno this question

im doing scripting in notepad and fromt he tutorials i watch on youtube you save it as rbc well when i do it comes up as one of thos junk file you cant do anything with and if you right click it compile isnt there am i doing something wrong?
stop scripting with rblc and notepad script with Pksv or Xse
Old August 14th, 2009 (10:52 AM).
Phantom of the Internet

Quote originally posted by narutoactor:
yes this is acualy quit easy Make an event tile when you step on it the person event (cubone) movesfrom one spot to the spot the player is at then in script make a wildbattle 0x(pokemon) 0x(level) 0x(item) the line will start a wildbattle also make sure you set a flag so the cubone will disapear :D hoped I help If you have know Idea what I am talking about PM me and I will go into more depth
SWEET! yeah i have the general idea. thanks!
Old August 14th, 2009 (11:57 AM).
Master of Fire!

Hello, kind people!

For my rom hack, Pokemon WARPED, I am having trouble putting in stairs. No matter which way I try it, the player just won't walk down/up them. Is it something to do with the warp placement or movement permissions? The original map I am editing is Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town (the one will all the chanellers and graves).

Please help!

If you support Pokemon: WARPED, put this in your signature!
BETA 3 Available:
http://www.divshare.com/download/12452181-8e4

Old August 14th, 2009 (12:15 PM).
Making "Art" and Fakemons

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to >DrakiL<
Hi, Is there a Tutorial On putting another Region In the Hack? I have to Hex Edit it right? If I do can someone show me a Tut? cause I really want 2 regions in my hack
Old August 14th, 2009 (01:03 PM).
NOOBIE HACKER

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to k1ng0fh3artz
im trying that now i had to get a good tutorial to learn btw thanks dieagoisawsome for that XSE tut.

ok im now trying to figure out how to make the number of the pokemon a hex code thats the only thing he didnt have in the tut. if someone could send me the hex codes or just tell em how to do it id greatly appreciate it thanx

Your FRIEND, k1ng0fh3artz

NOOBIE HACKERR
Old August 14th, 2009 (01:47 PM). Edited August 14th, 2009 by Blaziquaza.

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by andyp159:
Hello, kind people!

For my rom hack, Pokemon WARPED, I am having trouble putting in stairs. No matter which way I try it, the player just won't walk down/up them. Is it something to do with the warp placement or movement permissions? The original map I am editing is Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town (the one will all the chanellers and graves).

Please help!
Maybe you placed the warp in the wrong position.I think it's meant to be on the block before the stairs.

Quote originally posted by k1ng0fh3artz:
im trying that now i had to get a good tutorial to learn btw thanks dieagoisawsome for that XSE tut.

ok im now trying to figure out how to make the number of the pokemon a hex code thats the only thing he didnt have in the tut. if someone could send me the hex codes or just tell em how to do it id greatly appreciate it thanx

Your FRIEND, k1ng0fh3artz

NOOBIE HACKERR
I think there's a site that lets you convert decimal nos. to hex.I'll post the link.
http://www.geocities.com/binary_converter/

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old August 14th, 2009 (02:08 PM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by RayquazaLv.X:
Maybe you placed the warp in the wrong position.I think it's meant to be on the block before the stairs.

I think there's a site that lets you convert decimal nos. to hex.I'll post the link.
http://www.geocities.com/binary_converter/
Yeah uhh, that website is quite unneeded... you see, XSE has a built in Hex-Dec converting calculator...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old August 14th, 2009 (03:52 PM).
Please understand
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by diegoisawesome:
I have the same tilemap being used for two of my world maps. For some reason, on the fourth world map (which is #3 in the programming), nine tiles near the bottom-right corner keep getting replaced with tile #3, while on the other, it works just fine.

Can anyone help?
Reposting, as it's on the last page AND 20 posts back.

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
GBA Intro Manager
Old August 14th, 2009 (04:58 PM).
Bored.

Nature: Bold
Would anyone happen to know how to delete maps in Advance Map? Or do we have to use the ones that it has, and edit all of them.
Old August 14th, 2009 (06:48 PM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by The Gambling Gallade:
Would anyone happen to know how to delete maps in Advance Map? Or do we have to use the ones that it has, and edit all of them.
You can set it's height and width to 1.

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old August 14th, 2009 (09:04 PM).
Sage of Ice
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Hey, I have a couple of quick questions, since I'm new to the "new" rom hacking scene.

I'm playing around with Advance Map, it's a lot similar to the older "---- Maps," so that really helps. However, I'm confused already on it. Been trying to figure out the answer myself, but can't seem to find it.

In the very first room, if I try to modify the warp, move the warp, or remove the surrounding tiles for the warp, it just fails to work. I'm wondering what I'm suppose to do to the event in order to make it work. For example, I want to remove the stairs and simply have the player "warp" to the next warp (another area without stairs.) However, these warps are meant to work with stairs. How exactly can I do a simple "one place to another?"

Also, I've read several guides on how to "change the pokemon on the title screen" -- However, I'm looking for something to help me change the title screen in general. For example, change "Pokemon" to something else completely. Whether the Pokemon stays or not, I don't care. If there are any tools, etc, to help me in this, it would be much appreciated. I've searched around for answers, but the internet isn't as organized on this subject as it used to be.
Old August 15th, 2009 (01:17 AM). Edited August 15th, 2009 by Lover's Kite.
the age of empathy
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Lover's Kite
Quote originally posted by IceSage:
Hey, I have a couple of quick questions, since I'm new to the "new" rom hacking scene.

I'm playing around with Advance Map, it's a lot similar to the older "---- Maps," so that really helps. However, I'm confused already on it. Been trying to figure out the answer myself, but can't seem to find it.

In the very first room, if I try to modify the warp, move the warp, or remove the surrounding tiles for the warp, it just fails to work. I'm wondering what I'm suppose to do to the event in order to make it work. For example, I want to remove the stairs and simply have the player "warp" to the next warp (another area without stairs.) However, these warps are meant to work with stairs. How exactly can I do a simple "one place to another?"
Each tile has a thing called a Behaviour Byte and Background Byte. Behaviour Bytes well, tell how a tile will be behave. Examples of tiles with Behaviour Bytes include the beach area tiles () and the sea tiles () and there is a Behaviour Byte for what you are in need of; a simple plain tile that will warp you (I'm assuming here) to the first floor of the starter's house~ Background Bytes are somewhat similar as well, most of the tiles use the Background Byte "00" which is just the default byte and usually means nothing. Some tiles require the Background Byte "Block is covered by Hero".

Now to answer your question. XD;

Open up the Tile Editor in Advance Map (it's the big purple puzzle icon @ the top)

The Behaviour Byte used by the staircase the player descends on is called "6F" and the Background Byte is "Block is covered by Hero". First, the reason for that Background Byte is is because of the use of both Up & Down "layers" for that one tile, if no Background Byte is used, the player would be covered by the "Up" layer. The Behaviour Byte "6F" is used for going down staircases, so you would need to change that in order to get a different effect. Here is what you're looking for, change the Behaviour Byte to "Arrow right => warp left of block":

Doing so will result in the following:

As you can see, the stairs are gone and the player is just about ready to warp to the 1st floor~ Simple, right? :3 There's tons of Behaviour Bytes, you can experiment with them, just be careful.

Quote originally posted by IceSage:
Also, I've read several guides on how to "change the pokemon on the title screen" -- However, I'm looking for something to help me change the title screen in general. For example, change "Pokemon" to something else completely. Whether the Pokemon stays or not, I don't care. If there are any tools, etc, to help me in this, it would be much appreciated. I've searched around for answers, but the internet isn't as organized on this subject as it used to be. -_-
I'm not sure if you have seen this before, but there's a detailed tutorial by thethethethe on Pokémon Hackers Online for editing the entire title screen in Pokémon FireRed Version.
Hope this helps~ :3

lol tl;dr :(
Old August 15th, 2009 (04:28 AM). Edited August 15th, 2009 by peter5566.

I'm currently new to hacking and I would like to try out stuff like triggering event, ie. battling a trainer or have people come in automatically to talk. I'm using advanced map 1.92 and HackMew's tool kit.. Do i need anything else to do this? Sorry, because I'm a newbie to this..
I have expanded my rom, so i have spaces for new sprites and events.

I am also having problems with pokemons from 2nd and 3rd generations not evolving(probably have something to do with the national dex?) Is there any way to solve this problem, so i can include pokemons from 2nd and 3rd generations into FR?

Thanks in advance!
Old August 15th, 2009 (06:57 AM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
yes edit okes script when he gives you the pokedes under FR_POKEDEX put NA_POKEDEX
also you need a script editor since you already expaned your rom I am gessing you already have Xse witch will be you script editor but those to lines are difenet in xse those lines are for pksv
Old August 15th, 2009 (07:12 AM).

I'm sorry, but where can I find those text/script to edit in XSE? I tried to load up the ROM, but i can't seem to find the dex part?

Thanks again
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links