The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by icychill66 View Post
but that is just simply changing the sprites of pokemon. I'm wondering how to actually change the frequency of them appearing in the wild.
It may require some ASM knowledge. So... Basically, to any "hacker" that is new, it isn't possible, but if you ask ASM hackers, they say use ASM. As well as others.

Basically. ASM knowledge is needed.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Maco
learning the ropes...

Nature: Careful
Sorry for a long post below, I wanted to explain what I did clearly.

I've been trying to replace a Pokemon sprite in Fire Red with a revamped version of the Yellow Version Charmander I made. I coloured and indexed the file in photoshop, the revamped sprite is 64x64 pixels and uses the same transparent colour as the original (a light-brown colour).

When I import using Hackmew's unLZ, I tick all three boxes, and allocate the new sprite to an empty space suggested by Free Space Finder.

The intended new sprite and the result in-game:
Spoiler:

I've read many guides for this, and I've searched all over google and this thread for three days with no luck. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
I haven't seen anything about this, but does anyone know how to manipulate the shinyness? I would like to make wild encounters have a 1:400 or so chance of being shiny, rather than the 1:8,000 or whatever the exact number is. Is this possible to do?
The actual chances are 1/8192. Manipulating the shininess is not a good idea, anyway. You would have to ASM hack a lot of routines, and traded shinies would not be shiny any more. The closest thing you can get is through the Shinyzer and some level scripts: with a bit of randomness, you could increase the chances of finding a shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps:hi View Post
The only way that I know is

Spoiler:
to go into pokepic and export the shiny, and regular pictures, swap them with paint, import them back to pokepic, compress it to the rom, then try that.
Changing all the sprites is not that smart... it would have been definitely better to just replace the palette pointers, eventually. But anyway, doing that would result in all Pokémon looking shiny, even if they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maco View Post
Sorry for a long post below, I wanted to explain what I did clearly.

I've been trying to replace a Pokemon sprite in Fire Red with a revamped version of the Yellow Version Charmander I made. I coloured and indexed the file in photoshop, the revamped sprite is 64x64 pixels and uses the same transparent colour as the original (a light-brown colour).

When I import using Hackmew's unLZ, I tick all three boxes, and allocate the new sprite to an empty space suggested by Free Space Finder.

The intended new sprite and the result in-game:
Spoiler:

I've read many guides for this, and I've searched all over google and this thread for three days with no luck. :( Thanks in advance for the help.
What offsets did you use?
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Maco
learning the ropes...

0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette). These were the first values to pop up in Free Space Finder.
A tutorial told me to separate the 2, and have the palette coming after.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:16 AM
ryu15
Beginning Trainer

Hi, do you know how can I change Lucas' name if I chosen Dawn as character in Pokemon Platinum? I want him to be named Diamond. Doable?
EDIT: ^$#^#!&!!!!!!! damn... what a fail

Last edited by ryu15; February 10th, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fail
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
icychill66

Ok, changing shinyness probability doesn't sound like the best thing to do, now. However, forgive my noobness..., I keep seeing this ASM thing coming up. I've tried to figure out what it is, but I don't know what it stands for. Could someone please tell me:
1. What is ASM?
2. What does it do?
3. Where can I learn how to do it?

thanks

Sorry, for the double post, but I just remembered that ASM stands for assembly language! haha anyways, I still would like to know how to learn to ASM hack the game.

Last edited by icychill66; February 10th, 2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Ps:hi
mr.MEGA HACK

Nature: Brave
I have this weird problem...

Whenever I do at least 3 hacks, and I test it out, The games sound gets all glitch y,
Then most of the time the game freezes.

Help?

Last edited by Ps:hi; February 10th, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette). These were the first values to pop up in Free Space Finder.
A tutorial told me to separate the 2, and have the palette coming after.
Well... The difference between the two offsets is too small. The sprite is inserted at 0x800000, while the palette is inserted just 16 bytes after, which is definitely not enough. Not to say you don't need to change the palette offset at all because you can just overwrite it. Reinsert it again, this time using the old palette offset and if you did it correctly, everything should be fine.

Quote:
Sorry, for the double post, but I just remembered that ASM stands for assembly language! haha anyways, I still would like to know how to learn to ASM hack the game.
You might want to use the search function; I've got some tutorials in my Knowledge thread. The link is my signature.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Maco
learning the ropes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
Well... The difference between the two offsets is too small. The sprite is inserted at 0x800000, while the palette is inserted just 16 bytes after, which is definitely not enough. Not to say you don't need to change the palette offset at all because you can just overwrite it. Reinsert it again, this time using the old palette offset and if you did it correctly, everything should be fine.
I've had some success with replacing the palette and inserting the image in some free space, but the transparency colour isn't working and there are 5 random dots where the black colour has turned to white along the outline (sign of too many colours when indexed?):
Spoiler:

Last edited by Maco; February 10th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
When I do just replace the old sprite, I get the "Compressed size is too big" error. I'm thinking maybe I have more than 16 colours in the image, although I did specify 16 colours when indexing in photoshop. Perhaps I'm not doing that right?
No. Which tutorial is it?

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).
Well, why repointing the palette at all?
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Muffin™
Knows your age

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Muffin™
I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septile View Post
I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.
Do you need to hide them just temporarily?
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Muffin™
Knows your age

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Muffin™
No, like disappear. EX: 8 people (fadescreen) all of there sprites disappear
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septile View Post
No, like disappear. EX: 8 people (fadescreen) all of there sprites disappear
Then do this. Set the People ID for those 8 people just the same value. Then, in the script, put a fadescreen, then 8 hidesprite and setflag with the People ID value you set.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Well, why repointing the palette at all?
Why ask? Maybe he is inserting a Pokemon into the 25 Unknown slots? Anyway, his motives shouldn't be questioned.

Anyway, Maco, I suggest using a tutorial by torferno-x (I think that is his name), and of you get confused, ask me. But the pallette should be first n Hex, THEN the image 2 lines after, if inserting into Free Space.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Why ask? Maybe he is inserting a Pokemon into the 25 Unknown slots? Anyway, his motives shouldn't be questioned.
Consider it was a revamped Charmander, I assumed he was replacing the original Charmander sprite. Anyway, Maco, could you post the sprite you're trying to insert?
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
mgarciai
Beginning Trainer

Heres a picture to show my problem.
I'm not allowed to post urls yet. But I thought this would be the easiest way to describe my problem.

Why did Red get discolored like that when I switch him and Blue?
Same thing happened in Emerald when I switched Brendan and Wally.

img189.imageshack.us/img189/6789/27347386.jpg
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Maco
learning the ropes...

You mean the indexed sprite right?
im away from my computer now, ill upload it when i get home.
@deviation i was going to replace the original charmander sprite with my revamp
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarciai View Post
Heres a picture to show my problem.
I'm not allowed to post urls yet. >_> But I thought this would be the easiest way to describe my problem.

Why did Red get discolored like that when I switch him and Blue?
Same thing happened in Emerald when I switched Brendan and Wally.

img189.imageshack.us/img189/6789/27347386.jpg
The problem is the pallete. Red and Green (yeah, Green actually) use different palettes, and therefore it doesn't look good.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
mgarciai
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
The problem is the pallete. Red and Green (yeah, Green actually) use different palettes, and therefore it doesn't look good.
Should've been clearer.
What would the best way be to fix that?
I changed the palette applied at the bottom to the one normally used by red then it would have worked. However, I guess even if I reassign it in OWE that the palette will go back to the one originally used by Green/Blue/Gary/Rival/ Oaks' Grandson/ W/e (lol) had?

What I want to avoid is changing a palette that will then affect every other trainer on the overworld.

Eh... I changed it from the one it was using to 16 and now it seems to work.

Now the only other small thing that is bothering me is that arrows when leaving a building or the exclamation mark on top of the player character are green. Normally, they are white. How is the color of these items affected? Are they part of the main character ow sprite?

Last edited by mgarciai; February 10th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: solved own problem
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
mattattack
Huh, Son?

Nature: Jolly
I asked the same question in diego's tut but i think it should go here: How to do you trigger those green script squares in A-map. (IE you land on it and a person comes toward you) and what is a variable? like LASTRESULT?

My Trainer Card

Help me raise my pokemon!

Cre....Creselia!!?!?!?!?!?!
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Neutral12 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neutral12 Send a message via Yahoo to Neutral12
How do I edit default trainer sprites to make them custom trainers? I have no idea what i'm doing and I have been trying to figure it out all day.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM
mgarciai
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral12 View Post
How do I edit default trainer sprites to make them custom trainers? I have no idea what i'm doing and I have been trying to figure it out all day.
Well, for the overworld sprite just use the overworld editor.
For the trainer icon on the trainer card you can use unLZ.gba and look for the section with the trainer sprites and eventually find it there and change it however you want. Just have to make sure the icon is compatible (indexed)

Before you write in it using unLZ.gba youre gonna want to find free space, so look for fsf and tutorials on how to use that.

As for the trainer backsprite, well that one gets harder. I used tma, tile molester alternate, but Im sure theres an easier way to do that... right?
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Neutral12 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neutral12 Send a message via Yahoo to Neutral12
I'm so lost, I tried looking in the tutorials section and it doesn't help me because I have no idea on what i'm exactly looking for. I'm trying to edit the trainer battle sprite. I'm trying to replace Brandons sprite with a different sprite that I made myself, but i'm so confused and lost I don't know what i'm doing. As far as I know I know unLZ is involved, but whenever I try to import the one I made it gives me an error message saying that it's not indexed... So yea over all i'm confused and lost big time.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here