Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 16th, 2010 (02:00 AM).
TmsRaider
Gotta Catch 'em all

Nature: Gentle
Video Of My Question, Please give me a visitor message if possible when the question is solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuym3lgaLO4

Vid is self-explanatory
Old June 16th, 2010 (09:01 AM).
icychill66

Where can I learn how to make my own tools for Fire Red? I have been searching all over Google and Pokecommunity with little luck, and I'm about to rip my hair out..

What I know: (very little)
Use Visual Basic

What I would like to know:
Code for loading the ROM
Different Data locations in the ROM (pokemon info, names, text, etc.)
Overwriting data to the ROM

Help will be very appreciated! Thanks
Old June 16th, 2010 (03:34 PM).
qaz015393
pokemon revenge developer

when i use unLZ.GBA & try 2 change my sprite 2 one i made it gives me a message saying:
Quote:
ERROR:Image not indexed
how do i fix this 2 add my custom sprites i made.

POKEMON REVENGE TEAM IS looking for members APPLY HERE so the hack can continue.

3Ds Fc= 0619-4312-9526 IgN is Near My trade shop is here
Old June 16th, 2010 (09:00 PM).
Hyperion
Beginning Trainer

Okay, if this has already been answered, could someone direct me to an answer?
I know these are extremely basic questions, but I'm pretty new to this.

I'm making a PokeMon Red hack based on my comic, but it'll be a pretty basic text and graphics only edit.

I need these three questions answered, if possible:
-How do you make Pokemon that are available in the wild in Blue available in the wild in Red?
-What is a good hex editor for R/B/Y?
-How can I change Overworld sprites?
Old June 17th, 2010 (03:56 AM). Edited June 17th, 2010 by Sawakita.
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote originally posted by Hyperion:
Okay, if this has already been answered, could someone direct me to an answer?
I know these are extremely basic questions, but I'm pretty new to this.

I'm making a PokeMon Red hack based on my comic, but it'll be a pretty basic text and graphics only edit.

I need these three questions answered, if possible:
-How do you make Pokemon that are available in the wild in Blue available in the wild in Red?
-What is a good hex editor for R/B/Y?
-How can I change Overworld sprites?
-For wild pokemon I think you can find some tools in the Toolbox, or, if you want to use hex editor, you should find the "wild pokemon" data starting from address $D0E0 (here's a guide, written by Philip Reuben: http://www.romhacking.net/docs/%5B73%5Dchangewildpokemon.htm);

-My favorite hex editors are Hexecute (1st place) and Hex Workshop (2nd place);

-You can easily edit Overworld sprites using a tile editor (i suggest Tile Layer Pro, or TileMolester)

EDIT:
For wild pokemon editing, look also here:http://skeetendo.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toolz&action=display&thread=41

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old June 18th, 2010 (05:18 AM).
slawter666

Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
You should be searching for a value, not a string.
ummm, how? I tried searching using all the different options in hex workshop but it still keeps coming up string not found. Then i tried going to the offset and it took me to it but there were just a load of 00s. I'm really confused...and i feel really stupid. (how can I fail using a search function)
Old June 18th, 2010 (06:30 AM).
Arolu
Time to cut some slack...

Is there a Tool on which you can edit the moves, name and type of a Pokemon for the third-generation games?
I remember downloading one like that before but, I've got a new computer and I can't remember the name of the tool...
Could someone post a link towards which thread it is in?
Old June 18th, 2010 (07:24 AM).
Shiny Quagsire
I like .short's because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Arolu:
Is there a Tool on which you can edit the moves, name and type of a Pokemon for the third-generation games?
I remember downloading one like that before but, I've got a new computer and I can't remember the name of the tool...
Could someone post a link towards which thread it is in?
Use YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor). It's in the toolbox, it's not too hard to find.

Does anyone know the RAM offset for the LASTRESULT variable for pokemon ruby? It's not really directly related to scripting, so I posted here.

Old June 19th, 2010 (04:04 AM).
saifors

hey how can it be that it's imposible for me to index sprites in irvanview it just doesnt work (sorry if this has been told bt I didn't want to watch maore than 500 pages)
Old June 19th, 2010 (06:17 AM).
Binary
え?

Did you follow the tutorial properly?
Old June 19th, 2010 (07:13 AM).
sonlen
Hacking Noob

Ok, so I was wondering if there was a way to track your playtime, and set it to another location in the rom along with where ever it is stored normally so it can be used as a sort of internal game clock so that I can customize how long the day lasts, like in The Elder Scrolls games 1 minutes is about 5 sec. but I want to do something like that in Pokemon Fire Red.
Old June 19th, 2010 (08:36 AM).
Shiny Quagsire
I like .short's because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by icychill66:
Where can I learn how to make my own tools for Fire Red? I have been searching all over Google and Pokecommunity with little luck, and I'm about to rip my hair out..

What I know: (very little)
Use Visual Basic

What I would like to know:
Code for loading the ROM
Different Data locations in the ROM (pokemon info, names, text, etc.)
Overwriting data to the ROM

Help will be very appreciated! Thanks
I would strengthen your learning on the IO (File reading/writing) field. Google how to write bytes to an offset, learn how the data works, and there you go!

Old June 19th, 2010 (02:25 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
If I were to replace Platinum's narc file of it's battle sprites with the file from HG/SS, would Platinum then use HG/SS sprites? Or do I have to manually re-insert all 493 Pokemon?
Old June 19th, 2010 (04:22 PM).
sonlen
Hacking Noob

Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
If I were to replace Platinum's narc file of it's battle sprites with the file from HG/SS, would Platinum then use HG/SS sprites? Or do I have to manually re-insert all 493 Pokemon?
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. They should, but the palettes and anything else different with the sprites will be wrong. You would have to repoint everything for them.
Old June 19th, 2010 (05:17 PM).
Gwonam
Beginning Trainer

How do I unpack/view the contents of narc files? I can't figure it out.

If there's a program to do it (preferably a GUI, but not is okay too, I can learn) then please link me to it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

If there's no program, then please explain/link to an explanation of how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 19th, 2010 (06:06 PM).
dr4g0n12
Δράκος

Quote originally posted by Gwonam:

If there's a program to do it (preferably a GUI, but not is okay too, I can learn) then please link me to it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

If there's no program, then please explain/link to an explanation of how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
7zip, bitzipper, ect. Just search NARC file extractor on your preferred search engine, and you will find it.

DON’T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE!!

Friend code: 0732 2275 5722

Pokemon Online Username: dr4g0n12
Old June 19th, 2010 (10:10 PM).
Freya
Squee!

Nature: Mild
Can anyone tell me the Unlz number for the battle menu in Emerald? I mean the one with the pokemon's name, their HP. . . I looked through D-Trogh's numbers already.
Old June 19th, 2010 (10:16 PM).
Alice
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Alice
I've got a serious problem...

As you can see from the attachments, in game the black background is randomly reflecting tiles from the map, for no reason, and that one floor tile is black, and acts like a puddle of water if you walk on it. I've checked and they don't have any funky behavior/background bytes.

I honestly have no clue wtf is going on, so I would really appreciate some help.
Old June 19th, 2010 (10:45 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by QuilavaKing:
I've got a serious problem...

As you can see from the attachments, in game the black background is randomly reflecting tiles from the map, for no reason, and that one floor tile is black, and acts like a puddle of water if you walk on it. I've checked and they don't have any funky behavior/background bytes.

I honestly have no clue wtf is going on, so I would really appreciate some help.
Try using a different tile? Some tiles are used to store animations and the such.
Old June 19th, 2010 (10:54 PM).
Alice
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Alice
Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
Try using a different tile? Some tiles are used to store animations and the such.
I've tried a few different ones, and these are the ones used in the real team aqua base anyway. =/
Old June 20th, 2010 (05:47 AM).
vietazn654
A sound soul dwells within me

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to vietazn654 Send a message via Yahoo to vietazn654
Does anyone know what special/flag enables the National Dex?

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old June 20th, 2010 (05:54 AM).
X-Buster
Advanced Trainer

how does LSL and LSR work? let's say i have

lsl r1, r2, #0x10

and

lsr r1, r2, #0x10

they way i interpret it is r2 will be logical shipped by 16 times then store to r1? i dont get it

Old June 20th, 2010 (07:58 AM).
sonlen
Hacking Noob

Quote originally posted by X-Buster:
how does LSL and LSR work? let's say i have

lsl r1, r2, #0x10

and

lsr r1, r2, #0x10

they way i interpret it is r2 will be logical shipped by 16 times then store to r1? i dont get it

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917
check out this link, you should find it there.
Old June 20th, 2010 (09:54 AM).
MattyBoyIs
Beginning Trainer

hey peeps i have been tryin to improve my mapping skills and im starting to get better. however, i have come across a problem. you no you get black borders for map for the insides of houses...like the pokemart. well i created a new map in advance map and now wheneva i start up the rom the black border is no longer the...it is purple/pink!! . not only that but the map is repeated...but with every other square filled in, in purple...this happens on both the left and the right of the map. (pictures below) any help would be appriciated.

note: im not good with many of the technical terms in rom hackingas im just a begginer, so it would be good if you could explain in lame terms lol :D
Attached Images
File Type: png farleft.png‎ (15.8 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Amap.png‎ (10.7 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old June 20th, 2010 (10:31 AM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by MattyBoyIs:
hey peeps i have been tryin to improve my mapping skills and im starting to get better. however, i have come across a problem. you no you get black borders for map for the insides of houses...like the pokemart. well i created a new map in advance map and now wheneva i start up the rom the black border is no longer the...it is purple/pink!! . not only that but the map is repeated...but with every other square filled in, in purple...this happens on both the left and the right of the map. (pictures below) any help would be appriciated.

note: im not good with many of the technical terms in rom hackingas im just a begginer, so it would be good if you could explain in lame terms lol :D
Try using a different black-colored tile. Tileset compatibility comes into play here. I ran into the same problem when I was making the customized Pokemon Center in my Pokemon Ruby add-on.

Quote originally posted by Gwonam:

Thanks in advance.
Quote originally posted by dr4g0n12:
7zip, bitzipper, ect. Just search NARC file extractor on your preferred search engine, and you will find it.
NO. Don't use any of those. Use CrystalTile. What dr4g0n12 said is incorrect. Those are for opening Windows-related files like .zip, .7z and .rar. .NARC are the files within a Nintendo DS game.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links