Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old December 28th, 2010 (09:40 PM).

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by aprilmandy:
Okay, I've been trying to replace the Hiro/Gold sprites in my Pokemon Silver rom with customized sprites I made. I thought this would be easy, but everyone's bent on editing 3rd gen roms, so it's been difficult finding any specific tools, and half of them won't work properly for me (like the Pokemon Gold/Silver Sprite Editor, for overworld sprites).

So, is there some way I can manually insert my sprites into the rom, and then replace them? I don't know if this is a tile or hex sort of thing, but I'm willing to learn enough about whichever so that I can get them job done.

I very much appreciate any help. :3
Please? Maybe a tip or something?
Old December 28th, 2010 (11:50 PM).
~Fedoras~

Nature: Quirky
So, this seems like an odd question, but is there a way to force someone to get the Pokedex entry for a Pokemon if they didn't technically catch it? Not just like you "saw" it, but the whole entry.

Actually, better, is there a way to force an evolution through scripts? Not using an item or anything; just a script that can cause a Pokemon to evolve.

I want to plan an overly complicated scripted event that ends with a Pokemon evolving and I'm hoping one of the two above situations is possible.

[Tools for lazy hackers] Flight Spot Editor // pkEditor - A Script Generator
(Warning: May be loud...) // Consolation Prizes by Phoenix
Old December 29th, 2010 (12:02 AM).

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by MysticFlames:
So, this seems like an odd question, but is there a way to force someone to get the Pokedex entry for a Pokemon if they didn't technically catch it? Not just like you "saw" it, but the whole entry.

Actually, better, is there a way to force an evolution through scripts? Not using an item or anything; just a script that can cause a Pokemon to evolve.

I want to plan an overly complicated scripted event that ends with a Pokemon evolving and I'm hoping one of the two above situations is possible.
What you could do is first taking away a Pokémon using HackMew's script, and then use addpokemon/givepokemon to give the evolved form. Howeever, it will have a different nature, different IVs and EVs, different moves etc.

VDex:
White:
Old December 29th, 2010 (12:03 AM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by MysticFlames:

You should check the scripts in Bill's cottage out on Route 25 for the first one. Though I'm not sure if the script there adds the entry or just makes the pokemon appear as "seen".

As for the other question, it would require some ASM.

Brother of Vrai
Old December 29th, 2010 (12:41 AM).
Angry Jigglypuff

Just a quick question, but what are ALL of the unused flags and vars in fire red? (sorry if this question has already been answered, but I didn't feel like checking through 690 pages of questions to see if someone had already asked this)

Thanks!
Old December 29th, 2010 (01:18 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by 2RandomStudios:
Just a quick question, but what are ALL of the unused flags and vars in fire red? (sorry if this question has already been answered, but I didn't feel like checking through 690 pages of questions to see if someone had already asked this)
You can find list of them in diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 29th, 2010 (01:46 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by siper x:
no, it is outside, but the same type as an inside, because you won't go back to the city, so i want the people to know where the edge is

edit: also how do you take the starting point in ruby and change it to your room with no animation of moving tiles?
1. Is it the Tile Behaviour? Look at the tile in Block Editor, and change its behaviour to "use warp"

2. I swear there is a Truck Removal Tool for this. It may be in HackMews toolbox, but I don't know for sure.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old December 29th, 2010 (02:06 AM).
Ghost Ralts

Nature: Impish
Okay, so this probably has a really simple answer but i cant work it out

How can i get a tile from one map and use it in another
im hacking ruby and i'd like to take the buildings from mossdeep and put them into my re-make of littleroot town.
im using a map

i'm sure this will be a simple answer it was just easier to ask than watching whole tutorials to find this one piece of information
Old December 29th, 2010 (02:53 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by pokeguy9000:
Okay, so this probably has a really simple answer but i cant work it out

How can i get a tile from one map and use it in another
im hacking ruby and i'd like to take the buildings from mossdeep and put them into my re-make of littleroot town.
im using a map

i'm sure this will be a simple answer it was just easier to ask than watching whole tutorials to find this one piece of information
Depends in whether you still want to keep Littleroots' original houses and all. If you do, learn how to tile insert, same principle. If you don't, simple go to the "Map Header" in Advance Map, go to the bottom, and change where it says "Tileset", change the 2nd one to the same number as Mossdeep's.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old December 29th, 2010 (02:58 AM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by pokeguy9000.
Ghost Ralts

for this i dont want to keep littleroots so thank you, i will watch and read up on tile inserting if i need to

also how do remove the truck script? i know there is a tool but i can't find it
Old December 29th, 2010 (05:07 AM).

for this i dont want to keep littleroots so thank you, i will watch and read up on tile inserting if i need to

Starter Map Chooser Advance (SMCA) if I'm right.

VDex:
White:
Old December 29th, 2010 (07:24 AM).
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed

I don't think SMCA can change the truck script, possibly remove it from happening however (can't say for sure, I've never used that tool before). As that editor is made for changing the location where the game starts, it still doesn't do anything with the truck script.

Then again. in G/S/C, there is an additional place where the game looks for scripts that happen when:
1) No person is talked to
2) No trigger leads to the script

That's the Script Header (or you can also call it the Map's Script).
That's used for the game load scripts that occur when the map is entered (usually for the first time).
So, there could be for example a pointer to the truck script in the map header of "Inside Truck" map.

However, I could be wrong.
Never tried scripting in R/S/E anyways.

Edit:
I didn't read clearly the question you asked as you didn't want to change it, just remove it from happening.
But, someone who hacks R/S/E should try this out and see how the truck script works

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old December 29th, 2010 (07:30 AM).

Quote originally posted by miksy91:
I don't think SMCA can change the truck script, possibly remove it from happening however (can't say for sure, I've never used that tool before). As that editor is made for changing the location where the game starts, it still doesn't do anything with the truck script.

Then again. in G/S/C, there is an additional place where the game looks for scripts that happen when:
1) No person is talked to
2) No trigger leads to the script

That's the Script Header (or you can also call it the Map's Script).
That's used for the game load scripts that occur when the map is entered (usually for the first time).
So, there could be for example a pointer to the truck script in the map header of "Inside Truck" map.

However, I could be wrong.
Never tried scripting in R/S/E anyways.

Edit:
I didn't read clearly the question you asked as you didn't want to change it, just remove it from happening.
But, someone who hacks R/S/E should try this out and see how the truck script works
SMCA removes the truck, spawning the player at a different map where the truck script isn't triggered
But it's something special. Even if you delete all scripts, including the script headers, you'll still get the same effect. So, as far as I know, the only way to get a way around it is to spawn at a different map.

VDex:
White:
Old December 29th, 2010 (08:17 AM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by miksy91.
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Hi-Techneon:
But it's something special. Even if you delete all scripts, including the script headers, you'll still get the same effect.
Script Header has nothing to do with the with the scripts that are loaded when talked to people
If you deleted the "script headers" (only one exists for each map), the game would freeze when entered to the map of which script header you deleted.

Quote originally posted by Hi-Techneon:
So, as far as I know, the only way to get a way around it is to spawn at a different map.
That's it, that's because the script is very likely loaded from the script header of the "inside the truck" map.

It's obvious it can only affect the map where the script is set in, I mean, you clearly can't make a script happen in map X but still happen in map Y.
A different script should be set in map Y to make it work.

Script Header is a structure that tells the game how the map is load.
Script Header explanation made by Tauwasser (in G/S/C).

Spoiler:

In every secondary (second) map header there is a so-called “script pointer” which points to the script header. It that structure that allows the game to have e.g. one-time only events on a map or first enter events or permanent changes to the map or permanent script calls.

Structure:

[[Number1 of pointers] Number1 * [2byte pointer to script][00][00]][[Number2 of pointers] Number2 * [Number][2byte pointer to script]]

The first part (bold and in parentheses) and the second part (italic and bold in parentheses) differ greatly in function.

The first part requires the map to be in the table at 25:4000, the trigger table, because the triggers and first part scripts can only be controlled by a number which needs to be somewhere in ram.
The second part requires not any special values to be in the ram but it is checked differently often and on different times.

First part:

The first part uses the trigger numbers to decide which pointer to take. In addition to that the script is so often repeatedly executed until another trigger event is activated by De-/activate trigger events.

Scripts of the first part are customarily ended with the Return code2, but the pointer in the header point to a Priority jump1, so the sophisticated functions wait.

Second part:

The scripts of the second part get executed according to their number at different times while the map is loaded.

Number

Status of map
Checks as (as number x.)

Map data has already been loaded to ram, tileset and sprites still missing
Map change (3), Loading (2), Map connection (3),After Battle (1)

Map data, tileset and sprites are all loaded
Map change (5),

Neither map data not tilesets nor sprites are loaded
Map change (2), Loading (1), Map connection (2)

Map data and tileset loaded, sprites still missing
Map change (4), Loading (3),Sprite reload (1), Map connection (4), After battle (2)

Map change (1), Map connection (1)

Scripts of the second part are usually ended with the Return code1, or else they interrupt the sophisticated functions.

So basicly, if that truck script was in G/S/C, the First part of the script header (of the map where the truck script would be) would tell the game to load the truck script and you could go there to modify it.
And, it's highly likely there is also such a thing as script header for all the maps in 3rd gen pokemon games too.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old December 29th, 2010 (08:24 AM).
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Quote originally posted by siper x:
okay, my problem is that some of my warps aren't working, and when i delete them and make new ones, the still don't work. (i've checked, double checked, and triple checked and they are set at the right mao and bank) instead of going to the map i want, it goes to a different member of the eliet 4. any ideas?
still not answered. i checked everything said on previos pages.

Blood brother to Kroso
Old December 29th, 2010 (10:43 AM).
Osnap

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by adhdguitar:
Then you just compile them, since they're already at the offset they were before. However, with pre-existing scripts, you can't make them any longer than they were before, or you'll cause major problems.

To find pre-existing scripts, use A-Map, go to the Trigger or Person Event you want to edit, and click "Open Script." You should also take the time to set XSE as the default script editor for A-Map.
I've done all this. I took a random man and changed just what he says to "Hey" and still nothing. It worked in the past. It makes me sad panda.
Old December 29th, 2010 (10:56 AM).

Quote originally posted by miksy91:
Script Header has nothing to do with the with the scripts that are loaded when talked to people
If you deleted the "script headers" (only one exists for each map), the game would freeze when entered to the map of which script header you deleted.

That's it, that's because the script is very likely loaded from the script header of the "inside the truck" map.

It's obvious it can only affect the map where the script is set in, I mean, you clearly can't make a script happen in map X but still happen in map Y.
A different script should be set in map Y to make it work.

Script Header is a structure that tells the game how the map is load.
Script Header explanation made by Tauwasser (in G/S/C).

Spoiler:

In every secondary (second) map header there is a so-called “script pointer” which points to the script header. It that structure that allows the game to have e.g. one-time only events on a map or first enter events or permanent changes to the map or permanent script calls.

Structure:

[[Number1 of pointers] Number1 * [2byte pointer to script][00][00]][[Number2 of pointers] Number2 * [Number][2byte pointer to script]]

The first part (bold and in parentheses) and the second part (italic and bold in parentheses) differ greatly in function.

The first part requires the map to be in the table at 25:4000, the trigger table, because the triggers and first part scripts can only be controlled by a number which needs to be somewhere in ram.
The second part requires not any special values to be in the ram but it is checked differently often and on different times.

First part:

The first part uses the trigger numbers to decide which pointer to take. In addition to that the script is so often repeatedly executed until another trigger event is activated by De-/activate trigger events.

Scripts of the first part are customarily ended with the Return code2, but the pointer in the header point to a Priority jump1, so the sophisticated functions wait.

Second part:

The scripts of the second part get executed according to their number at different times while the map is loaded.

Number

Status of map
Checks as (as number x.)

Map data has already been loaded to ram, tileset and sprites still missing
Map change (3), Loading (2), Map connection (3),After Battle (1)

Map data, tileset and sprites are all loaded
Map change (5),

Map change (2), Loading (1), Map connection (2)

Map data and tileset loaded, sprites still missing
Map change (4), Loading (3),Sprite reload (1), Map connection (4), After battle (2)

Map change (1), Map connection (1)

Scripts of the second part are usually ended with the Return code1, or else they interrupt the sophisticated functions.

So basicly, if that truck script was in G/S/C, the First part of the script header (of the map where the truck script would be) would tell the game to load the truck script and you could go there to modify it.
And, it's highly likely there is also such a thing as script header for all the maps in 3rd gen pokemon games too.
Oh, then I probably used the wrong term.

VDex:
White:
Old December 29th, 2010 (12:25 PM).
Sparkle sparkle

Nature: Naughty
Ok, I have another question lol. Sometimes when I try to compile a script in XSE, it gives me the error message 'Subscript out of range.' What does that mean?
Old December 29th, 2010 (03:17 PM).
~Fedoras~

@Hi-Techneon & colcolstyles: The post has already fallen back, but still want to say thanks. I guess I've figured out what I'm going to do.

I have another quick question. I looked a bit, but I really have no idea how to go about finding it out. What's the color limit for a tile? I would assume 8, but I want to make sure.

Old December 29th, 2010 (04:09 PM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by pokeguy9000.
Ghost Ralts

How do i set it up so i can edit pre-existing scripts? I have added pokescript to a-map as my chosen script editor but when i click "open script" on an event pokescript open and reads :

Quote:
WELCOME TO POKESCRIPT
Copyrite Pokewitch Inc
http://members.westnet.com.au/comhloiche

Invalid Command : c:\documents
that :\ is supposed to read : \ (without and space)
what have i done wrong?
its just really annoying because i have to recompile and add scripts if i correct them
Old December 29th, 2010 (04:34 PM).
~Fedoras~

@pokeguy9000: Yeah, I haven't been able to get that to work either. While I do use Pokescript for writing scripts, I end up using XSE for editing the preexisting scripts. If you didn't know, XSE is quite similar to Pokescript, but it does have a few changes here and there. (I guess XSE is more widely used... but eh, I started with Pokescript so I've stuck with it. XD)

It'd be cool if someone actually had an answer to the question, though. Just saying.

(Just in case my previous question gets overlooked, what's the color limit for a tile? I would assume 8, but I want to make sure.)

Old December 29th, 2010 (04:56 PM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by pokeguy9000.
Ghost Ralts

Yes it would be good
Also, now that i am using XSE would you please tell me how to edit the pre-existing scripts?
Thanks
Old December 29th, 2010 (05:27 PM).
kevin del rey
Silver Tier

Yes it would be good
Also, now that i am using XSE would you please tell me how to edit the pre-existing scripts?
Thanks
You would need to find the offset for your script, and decompile it in the offset box near the top-right of the XSE tool.
Old December 29th, 2010 (05:50 PM).
Ghost Ralts

Quote:
You would need to find the offset for your script, and decompile it in the offset box near the top-right of the XSE tool.
Ive found the offset (i think) but XSE won't allow me to put anything in the "offset" box
I've tried a few things to fix this but, because of my very limited knowledge, i have been unsucessful
What do i need to do in order to paste the offset box?
Old December 29th, 2010 (06:19 PM).
Beauty Queen

I'm having a problem with Advance Text. Several times, I have found an area where I KNOW there is text, where when I boot up the rom there IS text, but when I try to edit it in AT the box is blank. >.<

1. Has anyone else encountered this?
2. Does anyone know why this is happening?
3. Can I fix this, or must I just leave those parts alone and work around them?

(I have restarted AT & reloaded the rom several times, it doesn't change. The rom is FR, if it matters.)
Ultimate Fire Type Challenge: Johto, 10 Badges
Lyrics Challenge: Kanto, 1 Badge
Nuzlocke Challenge: Kanto, 0 Badges
Monochrome Challenge: Hoenn, 5 Badges
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links