The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 15th, 2011 (08:09 PM).
Charlimander
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Uhh, okay, I've got another question. Where on earth are the hero's backsprites? I looked through literally every picture on unLZ, and I didn't see them. Are they one of the many unidentifiable scribbles, or do I need another program entirely to edit them? Help?
Old March 15th, 2011 (08:18 PM). Edited March 15th, 2011 by Sacred Dragon.
Sacred Dragon
Yes, that's a Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrom View Post
how do make the hero move when the hero goes on a certian tile example:oak stops you from going into tall grass if you have yet to get your starter

i dint mean to make the :0 face it was supposed to be example: oak...ext
It is not too bad; you just need a script to check your pokemon. If it returns no, then it moves you back spaces and does not allow you to pass, but if it returns yes, then it does nothing and lets you through.

Code:
#dynamic 0x<offset>

#org @start
countpokemon
if 0x1 goto @success
goto @fail
end

#org @fail
lock
msgbox @blocked 0x6
release
applymovement 0xFF @moveback
end

#org @blocked
= Nope...

#org @moveback
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0xFE

#org @success
end
That is if your are going right. You can change the movements accordingly. That may be too simple or not too complex, but that's the basic idea. You can edit the text to be Oak: ..., or whatever you want as well.
Old March 15th, 2011 (08:29 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlimander View Post
Uhh, okay, I've got another question. Where on earth are the hero's backsprites? o_O I looked through literally every picture on unLZ, and I didn't see them. Are they one of the many unidentifiable scribbles, or do I need another program entirely to edit them? Help?
They aren't compressed sprites so they aren't in UNlz.

You can edit them through a tutorial such as this or use the bookmarks in NSE.
Old March 16th, 2011 (05:55 AM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

Write the flag of the script to your OW's Person I.D.
Oké I understand, but when you make a script with PokéTronic you don't see the script. You must choose the level and the Pokémon and than you get a code. That code you must type by advanced map, but you don't get a script where you can place the flag in. And... I'm not good with scripts, so how can I make a script with a flag?
Old March 16th, 2011 (09:40 AM).
esdain
Beginning Trainer

I found the search function! Yay for me. My search criteria were too weak or the results were not obvious / buried in threads with lots of posts. I found this simple question thread so I'll ask it here.

I'm interested in an IPS patch. I think it would have been done before, but it's not a full-blown hack so much as a simple mod and I can't find a simple mod section of this forum. I can only find the hacks that are basically new games.

This IPS patch would take out the Emerald-ness to Pokemon Emerald US (and or UK if they are different). By this, I mean I'd like a patch to make Brendan and May's characters (in overworld map view when running/fishing/biking/surfing, pokemon trainer card, and in battle-back-view when throwing pokeballs out) to look like they did in Ruby and Sapphire.

I've attempted to do this myself and only made it so far as to get the pointer to the 'green bandana/backpack' Brendan and May of the trainer card sprite/choose gender screen to point to the sprite for the Ruby/Sapphire version. I used RS Ball for that.

I'm now working on the graphics for the characters when in overworld 'walking around mode' / fishing / surfing / bike riding mode. I opened it up with Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition v1.1.3, but I have kind of a problem figuring out how to copy over characters from ruby to emerald. I had to resort to opening up emerald and ruby in programs side-by-side and editing each pixel of each from by hand since I don't know how to copy full tiles over. It doesn't help that I'm color-blind to dark-blue and black.

That got me to thinking... I bet someone else has already done this somewhere so I decided to look. If anyone can point me in the direction of something that sounds like what I'm after, that would be great.

Also, a while back, I made a simple map mod of Route 132, 133, and 134 of Hoenn that removed the rapids from those areas so you could freely surf around and pick up and fight the people and things you needed to in those areas without the need to fly back to Pacifilodge Town and riding the rapids over and over.

My PC hard drive failed since then, but I plan on doing this again and making another IPS patch for myself. I was curious if I did that again, I'd like to share it with the community. Before it was just made by myself for myself and never released. Is there a place for stuff like that here that I could share it? Again, all I can find are full-blown hacks that are basically new games.

Thanks in advance for any kindness and help anyone offers.
Old March 16th, 2011 (12:13 PM).
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Blaze The Hedgehog View Post
Hey, Is there any way possible to modify/edit/replace trainer sprites in R/B?
The sprites are compressed. You will have to extract the images, decompress them, and edit them, then recompress and insert them back into the ROM.

Here is information on the compression algorithm.

Alternately, you could rewrite the ASM for decompression to allow use of uncompressed images. Sawakita (Pokémon Wood) and Koolboyman (Pokémon Brown) have done this, although Brown’s is buggy.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old March 16th, 2011 (12:41 PM).
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdain View Post
I found the search function! Yay for me. My search criteria were too weak or the results were not obvious / buried in threads with lots of posts. I found this simple question thread so I'll ask it here.

I'm interested in an IPS patch. I think it would have been done before, but it's not a full-blown hack so much as a simple mod and I can't find a simple mod section of this forum. I can only find the hacks that are basically new games.

This IPS patch would take out the Emerald-ness to Pokemon Emerald US (and or UK if they are different). By this, I mean I'd like a patch to make Brendan and May's characters (in overworld map view when running/fishing/biking/surfing, pokemon trainer card, and in battle-back-view when throwing pokeballs out) to look like they did in Ruby and Sapphire.

I've attempted to do this myself and only made it so far as to get the pointer to the 'green bandana/backpack' Brendan and May of the trainer card sprite/choose gender screen to point to the sprite for the Ruby/Sapphire version. I used RS Ball for that.

I'm now working on the graphics for the characters when in overworld 'walking around mode' / fishing / surfing / bike riding mode. I opened it up with Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition v1.1.3, but I have kind of a problem figuring out how to copy over characters from ruby to emerald. I had to resort to opening up emerald and ruby in programs side-by-side and editing each pixel of each from by hand since I don't know how to copy full tiles over. It doesn't help that I'm color-blind to dark-blue and black.

That got me to thinking... I bet someone else has already done this somewhere so I decided to look. If anyone can point me in the direction of something that sounds like what I'm after, that would be great.

Also, a while back, I made a simple map mod of Route 132, 133, and 134 of Hoenn that removed the rapids from those areas so you could freely surf around and pick up and fight the people and things you needed to in those areas without the need to fly back to Pacifilodge Town and riding the rapids over and over.

My PC hard drive failed since then, but I plan on doing this again and making another IPS patch for myself. I was curious if I did that again, I'd like to share it with the community. Before it was just made by myself for myself and never released. Is there a place for stuff like that here that I could share it? Again, all I can find are full-blown hacks that are basically new games.

Thanks in advance for any kindness and help anyone offers.
Just export each of the frames from Ruby/Sapphire in Overworld Editor (File > Export Bitmap) and import them into Emerald (File > Import Bitmap). If you need to, click the "Import Palette" checkbox as well to change the color scheme to match.
Old March 16th, 2011 (01:39 PM).
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRoy View Post
Oké I understand, but when you make a script with PokéTronic you don't see the script. You must choose the level and the Pokémon and than you get a code. That code you must type by advanced map, but you don't get a script where you can place the flag in. And... I'm not good with scripts, so how can I make a script with a flag?
Simple, learn how to script.
Use XSE, and read tutorials.
Old March 16th, 2011 (01:43 PM).
Skara
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

What are the NARC files for Wild Pokemon, Trainers, Gyms and Pokemon Data on HeartGold?
Old March 17th, 2011 (03:53 AM). Edited March 17th, 2011 by esdain.
esdain
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by metapod23 View Post
Just export each of the frames from Ruby/Sapphire in Overworld Editor (File > Export Bitmap) and import them into Emerald (File > Import Bitmap). If you need to, click the "Import Palette" checkbox as well to change the color scheme to match.
Thank you Metapod23!!! That helped so much. I now have the overworld characters looking like they did in Ruby. I have the characters displayed on trainer card / gender select screen / vs Trainer May/Brendan all looking correctly how I wanted. My only remaining problem is how would I go about changing the character's backs in battle when they throw out pokeballs at the start of battle?

I have some thoughts, but if there is an easy way / easy tools that someone knows of, that would be great.

Edit: RS Ball can do the backs of Ruby, but says: Trainer Backpics not specified in the INI.
Edit: Dang it. Pallets are messed up on a few NPCs. Gonna have to mess around with overworld sprites some more.
Old March 17th, 2011 (04:29 AM).
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdain View Post
Thank you Metapod23!!! That helped so much. I now have the overworld characters looking like they did in Ruby. I have the characters displayed on trainer card / gender select screen / vs Trainer May/Brendan all looking correctly how I wanted. My only remaining problem is how would I go about changing the character's backs in battle when they throw out pokeballs at the start of battle?

I have some thoughts, but if there is an easy way / easy tools that someone knows of, that would be great.

Edit: RS Ball can do the backs of Ruby, but says: Trainer Backpics not specified in the INI.
Edit: Dang it. Pallets are messed up on a few NPCs. Gonna have to mess around with overworld sprites some more.
You're welcome. I haven't tried to hack the backsprites in Ruby really, but here's a tutorial I found:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=222288
Old March 17th, 2011 (08:34 AM).
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
For some reason when i replace a map on fire red with a new map it always has the same name as the first town, and if i try to change the name it changes the name of the first town as well...
I understand you can only have so many map names in one rom but i am not adding a new map i am replacing a old one and i would like to keep the name of the old one...

If anyone knows how to fix this can you please PM me...

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old March 17th, 2011 (09:52 AM).
Silent Crest
Celestial Shine

Nature: Calm
How can one change the white-out text in Pokemon FR? And the mother's dialog at home after the whiteout?
Old March 17th, 2011 (10:05 AM).
SKRoy
Pokémon Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

Write the flag of the script to your OW's Person I.D.
Old March 17th, 2011 (12:22 PM). Edited March 17th, 2011 by Bozster.
Bozster
Chief Lunatic

Okay, this is starting to drive me a bit crazy now:
Does ANYBODY know ANYTHING about changing the footprints in Emerald??
FPE doesn't work, and I've just searched through the whole ROM with Tile Molester and found nothing...
Please?? Help? Anyone?

(And while I'm here, does anyone know:
How to change the cry without messing up the game?
How to change Tutor Move Data?)

Okay, this is starting to drive me a bit crazy now:
Does ANYBODY know ANYTHING about changing the footprints in Emerald??
FPE doesn't work, and I've just searched through the whole ROM with Tile Molester and found nothing...
Please?? Help? Anyone?

(And while I'm here, does anyone know:
How to change the cry without messing up the game?
How to change Tutor Move Data?)
Old March 17th, 2011 (02:36 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8 View Post
For some reason when i replace a map on fire red with a new map it always has the same name as the first town, and if i try to change the name it changes the name of the first town as well...
I understand you can only have so many map names in one rom but i am not adding a new map i am replacing a old one and i would like to keep the name of the old one...

If anyone knows how to fix this can you please PM me...
Open up the map you want to move and then go to the header tab. There will be two places where the name of the map is shown at the top - a dropdown bar and a place where you can change its name. Open the dropdown bar and choose where you want the map to be moved. Save Advance Map and then press F5. If you do this correctly your map should have moved to the location you chose in the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Crest View Post
How can one change the white-out text in Pokemon FR? And the mother's dialog at home after the whiteout?
You can use a text editing tool such as Advance Text to search for and then change the dialogue, or HEX edit it with a tablet file.
Old March 17th, 2011 (03:00 PM).
mrjimi16
Beginning Trainer

So I am trying to put in a bank-like system (like in GSC) and I was going to use givemoney, paymoney with set money amounts using multi-choice. I was wondering if money had a specific variable. I would think yes, but the presence of the previous commands leaves me unsure. If it does, it would be nice if someone could point out a way to make a dialogue box to choose specific amounts. Thanks!
Old March 17th, 2011 (03:13 PM).
Mew0 Volatile
Beginning Trainer

Hello.
First off, I'm not ENTIRELY new to ROM hacking, but it has been a very long time. Anyway, I'm working on this very short video project that will include an enhanced (hacked) version of Pokemon Yellow. I'm only going to be showing up until after the first rival battle, right after you recieve your pokemon. The idea is to give it a fresh look, but I'm also doing stuff that wouldn't be possible to insert into a GBC ROM, such as Video overlays, Voices, and Instrumental Music Remixes. I'm just going to add that into the video using Sony Vegas.

So the only things I'm going to need are in pallet town, ash's house, and oaks lab, but here they are:

Full Colorization (I know Pokemon Yellow has color capabilities, but the pallete is extremely bland)

New Sprites (I'll only need them for Pikachu and Eeve, Ash [Back only], Gary, and Oak. or whatever other pokemon appear at the start of the game)

New Overworld Sprites (Just make them look better)

New Tiles (This pretty much goes in with the colorization. I need the tiles in the overworld to look better, or at least different

I think thats about it. Before you say it, yes I have looked already. But Pokemon Yellow seems to be lacking some tools that Red and Blue have.
I either need to know how to do these things, or, seeing as though theres not a whole lot to do, have it done for me. (yeah.... i know, that's pretty bad of me to ask that.)

Reminder: This ROM isn't intended to be played after pallete town. It's just a visual enhancement for a video i'm making
Old March 17th, 2011 (06:49 PM).
Blaziken257
Beginning Trainer

Is there any possible way to dump the text in Pokémon Black/White? I've searched the Internet for hours and found absolutely nothing. I don't plan to make a hack at all, but I've been wanting to dump a Spanish ROM so that I would have a list of items, cities/towns, moves, etc. really easily (don't ask). Is there any equivalent of thenewpoketext for Gen V? Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2011 (08:05 PM).
ShadowMrk
The Ghost

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimi16 View Post
So I am trying to put in a bank-like system (like in GSC) and I was going to use givemoney, paymoney with set money amounts using multi-choice. I was wondering if money had a specific variable. I would think yes, but the presence of the previous commands leaves me unsure. If it does, it would be nice if someone could point out a way to make a dialogue box to choose specific amounts. Thanks!
I'm not sure what address the money is held at ,but you can be sure that it's not in the 0x0000 - 0xFFFF range of scripting variables. This is because a script variable can only hold up to 65535 (0xFFFF) and we all know that you can have up to $999,999. You'll want to do a RAM Search for the money and then find an ASM Hacker (such as me) to write a few money manipulation routines that you can use in your scripts. If you need me to write the routines , I'd be more than happy to help
As for the multi-choice boxes, there is a tool that will allow you to change the text of the multi-choice boxes in the Toolbox sub-forum.
Old March 18th, 2011 (11:59 AM).
r0bert
Quitifyingly awesome.

Nature: Naughty
I haz one small question:
what are the offsets of the 1st and 3rd firered pallete?(PAL from A-map)
Old March 18th, 2011 (05:09 PM).
Nomad_Mu
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Is it possible to increase the number of OW sprites (specifically people sprites) in the game? I know how to replace them, but what I want is to add more.

I'm working with both FireRed and Emerald.
Old March 18th, 2011 (10:09 PM).
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
I accidentally wrote over data from the 0x4527A0 area to around 0x4566D4. If I can get my uncooperative hex editor to work, I can just re-rewrite that data from a clean ROM into mine and fix what I did right? Right now, the graphics error in the attachment happens. As far as I know, that was the only casualty of my mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: png Crimson.png‎ (10.7 KB, 8 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 18th, 2011 (10:53 PM).
IdioticUser(9)
Beginning Trainer

I'm having trouble getting this to work
(spoilered because of URL rules)
Spoiler:
Fancy Knowledge #3 - Using Two Different Musics In One Event

Many people were asking me how I did that "music replace" in zel's Shiny Gold hack. They were wondering how it was possible for zel to use different musics for different battles. Well here is, how it works. (On Fire Red US ONLY!!! You have to find the offsets for your desired version by yourself!!)

It looks like this:

00cffef0h: FE B4 05 1C 1B 48 20 49 00 F0 33 F8 00 22 90 42 ; þ´...H I.ð3ø."B
00cfff00h: 0B D0 03 88 1B 49 8B 42 07 D0 AB 42 05 D1 17 48 ; .Ð.ˆ.I‹B.ЫB.Ñ.H
00cfff10h: 19 49 00 F0 26 F8 05 88 12 E0 13 48 16 49 00 F0 ; .I.ð&ø.ˆ.à.H.I.ð
00cfff20h: 20 F8 00 22 90 42 0B D0 03 88 12 49 8B 42 07 D0 ; ø."B.Ð.ˆ.I‹B.Ð
00cfff30h: AB 42 05 D1 0E 48 10 49 00 F0 13 F8 05 88 FF E7 ; «B.Ñ.H.I.ð.ø.ˆÿç
00cfff40h: 28 04 FE BC 0D 4A 04 B4 0D 4A 0E 49 40 0B 40 18 ; (.þ¼.J.´.J.I@.@.
00cfff50h: 83 88 59 00 C9 18 89 00 89 18 0A 68 01 68 10 1C ; ƒˆY.É.‰.‰..h.h..
00cfff60h: 00 BD 08 47 14 10 00 00 15 10 00 00 16 10 00 00 ; .½.G............
00cfff70h: 17 10 00 00 FF FF 00 00 55 E4 06 08 0F D1 1D 08 ; ....ÿÿ..Uä...Ñ..
00cfff80h: 9C 32 4A 08 CC 32 4A 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; œ2J.Ì2J.........
Insert it where you want. I used that adress only due to testing reasons. Little explanation: (the first lines are the routine itself, the following words are data):

0xcfff64:
[14 10 00 00] // nr of 1st variable containing music number to replace
[15 10 00 00] // nr of 2nd variable containing music number to replace
[16 10 00 00] // nr of 1st variable containing the value to replace with
[17 10 00 00] // nr of 2nd variable containing the value to replace with
[FF FF 00 00] // value the vars have to be set to in order to disable the track loader
[55 E4 06 08] // std_func_getvaradress + 1; don't change it!
[0F D1 1D 08] // return adress + 1
[9C 32 4A 08] // channel table (usually you don't have to change it)
[CC 32 4A 08] // pointer to the music-pointer-table
To attach the script to the musicloader goto 0x1DD0F6 and replace the bytes from 0x1DD0F6 to 0x1DD10E with

01 49 08 47 00 00 [XX XX XX XX] 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Replace the [XX XX XX XX] by the pointer to the location where you've inserted the long script from above. (For me, it would be F1 FE CF 08)

The bytes after that location should be 00 F0 A2 FB 01 BC (of the original rom...)

That's how to insert it, but how does it work? Assuming, you're in Kanto and you want to replace the normal wild battle music with the one of Kanto you would have to set the first variable's value to the normal music-number (the one Sappy displays). I defined the first var as var number 0x1014. So I would type in a normal pokescript something like "setvar 0x1014 #battlemusicnumber". Then have I look for the new music-number in Sappy. The first var - containing the value to replace with - is defined as var nr. 0x1016. I type "setvar 0x1016 #newbattlemusicnumber".

I'm using two pairs of variables since I thought it would be useful for you if you want to replace e.g. the battle music AND the fanfare played afterwards. Pair 0x1015 and 0x1017 works like pair 0x1014 and 0x1016.

I'm assuming I'm entering the wrong number into setvar 0x1014
is it 0x297 (the number show in sappy) or just 297. Or is it the advance map song number (13B or something)

I followed every step and used all the same offsets, so what else could have gone wrong?
Old March 18th, 2011 (11:06 PM).
E.C.

Nature: Bold
On advance map, when i try to save a tileset, it sometimes says "Export of this pallete not possible,there are multiple entries for the same color in the pallete"

if someone could help it would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links