Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 19th, 2011 (02:54 AM).
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Quote originally posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ:
On advance map, when i try to save a tileset, it sometimes says "Export of this pallete not possible,there are multiple entries for the same color in the pallete"

if someone could help it would be appreciated.
That just means if i am not wrong that there are two of the same colour in the pallete, check every single pallete again.

:My Problem:
i am inserting a tile, which been some time i do them, but there is this problem i encounter now which did not happen the last time, maybe i forgot something.xD

Anyway, i follow Cello tut on this and indexed the image using infranview since the tile pal was above 16, then i use photoshop cs5 to save the pallete,
Then i open AM to load the pallete. The problem i get is that the pallete that was loaded on AM was diffirent then the one i save from photoshop, not all but the top part.. see the image below for more understanding.

On Photoshop

On Advance Map

This is a question,
From Cello tut, the part where we need to indexed the image,
he have the Black and white as the "forced" and transparent ticked,
the problem is that when i do that the pal increase by three so i put the "Forced as none" and unticked the transparency..
will this have any effect on my inserting process?
but still the main problem is the first one..
I hope someone could help me with it.

Regareds,
Ace

Old March 19th, 2011 (03:54 AM).
kringlur
Velkominn í heim POKéMON!

Nature: Hasty
I was using pokétext to translate yellow version, but special characters like á and ð don't show up (they turn into "x"). How do I fix this? I looked at a Norwegian version and special characters like that turned into & when viewed with pokétext.
Old March 19th, 2011 (04:13 AM).
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ:
On advance map, when i try to save a tileset, it sometimes says "Export of this pallete not possible,there are multiple entries for the same color in the pallete"

if someone could help it would be appreciated.
I think the error message speaks for itself. 2 pallette colours are the same, and that is no good, just change one of them by a small amount, and it should let you save the tileset.

Crimson, your issue is hard to understand. If I understand right, there are 2 issues, right?

1. The colour may have changed by 3 to fit the ROM, as all pallettes need to have R, G and B values that are a multiple of 8.

2. I don't really understand this one, I guess you mean that not all colours are added, and the ones that are are in a different order. If so, that may only cause some problems if the order was extremely different to the old pallette (as in, a green is now a brown), but only to old tiles. Otherwise, it is best to manually insert the pallettes, to make sure they are all right.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old March 19th, 2011 (05:22 AM).
kringlur

Is there a hex editor that lets you edit the rom's text directly (automatically translating it to the hex values)? I've been trying out a few different editors and just haven't come across one like that yet.
Mac and Win programs would be equally useful.
Old March 19th, 2011 (05:59 AM).
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote originally posted by kringlur:
I was using pokétext to translate yellow version, but special characters like á and ð don't show up (they turn into "x"). How do I fix this? I looked at a Norwegian version and special characters like that turned into & when viewed with pokétext.
USA version doesn't have those characters in its text graphics, so you'd have to edit text graphics (stored, in 1BPP format, at 0x10600, if I'm not wrong), or use the Norwegian version.

Is there a hex editor that lets you edit the rom's text directly (automatically translating it to the hex values)? I've been trying out a few different editors and just haven't come across one like that yet.
Mac and Win programs would be equally useful.
Hexeccute supports .tbl files (text table files), but it's not the only one; basically you have to load the table (poke.tbl.txt, rename this file "poke.tbl"; I've added the ".txt", because this site doesn't allow .tbl attachment) and open your ROM, then write data in the right part of the editor ('text area', opposite to the left-located 'hex area'); to find texts you just have to search through the ROM scrolling, or using the built-in Search function (which by the way is a little bit buggy in Hexeccute so you might want to try also some other hex editors).

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old March 19th, 2011 (06:30 AM).
kringlur

Quote originally posted by Sawakita:
USA version doesn't have those characters in its text graphics, so you'd have to edit text graphics (stored, in 1BPP format, at 0x10600, if I'm not wrong), or use the Norwegian version.

Hexeccute supports .tbl files (text table files), but it's not the only one; basically you have to load the table (Attachment 59440, rename this file "poke.tbl"; I've added the ".txt", because this site doesn't allow .tbl attachment) and open your ROM, then write data in the right part of the editor ('text area', opposite to the left-located 'hex area'); to find texts you just have to search through the ROM scrolling, or using the built-in Search function (which by the way is a little bit buggy in Hexeccute so you might want to try also some other hex editors).
The Norwegian version doesn't have the characters I need either. I tried using Tile Layer Pro to look at the alphabet in both the Norwegian and English versions, but I couldn't find all of the alphabet in either or the "extra" characters in the Norwegian version (past m or so). Is there another graphics editor you'd recommend?

Thanks, I already knew the table stuff but still (I've been loading my table and then changing the text by editing the hex side, because the hex editor I was using didn't allow editing of the text side. I'm just getting tired of writing hex numbers).
I tried Hexeccute just now, but the non-working search function makes it difficult to use for me (I search a lot!). I'll look for more editors again, I guess...
Old March 19th, 2011 (06:45 AM). Edited March 19th, 2011 by r0bert.
r0bert
Quitifyingly awesome.

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Crimson Stardust:
That just means if i am not wrong that there are two of the same colour in the pallete, check every single pallete again.

:My Problem:
i am inserting a tile, which been some time i do them, but there is this problem i encounter now which did not happen the last time, maybe i forgot something.xD

Anyway, i follow Cello tut on this and indexed the image using infranview since the tile pal was above 16, then i use photoshop cs5 to save the pallete,
Then i open AM to load the pallete. The problem i get is that the pallete that was loaded on AM was diffirent then the one i save from photoshop, not all but the top part.. see the image below for more understanding.

On Photoshop

On Advance Map

This is a question,
From Cello tut, the part where we need to indexed the image,
he have the Black and white as the "forced" and transparent ticked,
the problem is that when i do that the pal increase by three so i put the "Forced as none" and unticked the transparency..
will this have any effect on my inserting process?
but still the main problem is the first one..
I hope someone could help me with it.

Regareds,
Ace
you have to change the PAL manually,I think because IrfanView saves the pal differently.
And,hereby repeating the question,because I really need an answer.
'what are the offsets for the 1st,3rd,4th and 6th firered tile palletes?'
Old March 19th, 2011 (07:01 AM).
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

The Norwegian version doesn't have the characters I need either. I tried using Tile Layer Pro to look at the alphabet in both the Norwegian and English versions, but I couldn't find all of the alphabet in either or the "extra" characters in the Norwegian version (past m or so). Is there another graphics editor you'd recommend?

Thanks, I already knew the table stuff but still (I've been loading my table and then changing the text by editing the hex side, because the hex editor I was using didn't allow editing of the text side. I'm just getting tired of writing hex numbers).
I tried Hexeccute just now, but the non-working search function makes it difficult to use for me (I search a lot!). I'll look for more editors again, I guess...
TLP works perfectly fine with GameBoy games, in my opinion.
Look at the image in the spoiler: if you notice there is blank space between the alphabet and the symbols/numbers. I gave a look at Yellow Usa version, and Red Norwegian version (couldn't find yellow norwegian version). You can add 32 new letters/symbols in a "Usa version", and 23 in a Norwegian version game, it seems.
Spoiler:

About text-hex editors, I've heard that Windhex and Translhextion are good ones (although I could never get Translhextion working)

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old March 19th, 2011 (07:44 AM).
kringlur

Quote originally posted by Sawakita:
TLP works perfectly fine with GameBoy games, in my opinion.
Look at the image in the spoiler: if you notice there is blank space between the alphabet and the symbols/numbers. I gave a look at Yellow Usa version, and Red Norwegian version (couldn't find yellow norwegian version). You can add 32 new letters/symbols in a "Usa version", and 23 in a Norwegian version game, it seems.
Spoiler:

About text-hex editors, I've heard that Windhex and Translhextion are good ones (although I could never get Translhextion working)
Thanks, I was on the wrong format, haha.... Windhex works great too, it's just what I was looking for.
Old March 19th, 2011 (09:49 AM). Edited March 19th, 2011 by Saving Raven.
Saving Raven
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
I have a quick, persisting question
I tried to use the "item editor"
but it says "this is not a pokemon advance rom"
and it is in fact a GBA file
any advice?
Old March 19th, 2011 (10:19 AM).
Silent Crest
Celestial Shine

Nature: Calm
How can I change the Professor Oak, Player, and Rival sprites in the weird speech welcoming the player that he gives in FR?
Old March 19th, 2011 (02:27 PM).
uber_pineapple
Just Smile.

I have a question, I did some searching and couldn't find anything about what I want.

I want to increase the shiny pokemon rate, for all pokemon. I dont want to create one shiny pokemon encounter or anything like that, I just want to change the shiny pokemon rate. Right now it's 1/8192, well I would like it to be more like 8/8192 or 1/1024 or maybe 1/512.

--------

also, whats the best tool to re-organize the pokedex? Moving the pokemon within the dex so I have have a custom region.
Old March 19th, 2011 (06:41 PM).
adhdguitar
Newbie Pokémon Hacker

Nature: Adamant
So far I haven't been able to find info on this, so I came here.

Does anyone know what Special 0x39 does?

Yellow: Complete
Crystal:
Complete
Sapphire: Not Started
Cherrim: Not Started
Old March 20th, 2011 (01:08 AM).
Skara
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Timid
I need help.
I've hacked Pokemon HG as much as I want to, and now I want to import the NARCS to my HG Rom. I've edited every Trainer, some Pokemon Data, Wild Pokemon and Gyms.
Which NARC's do I need? and where can I find them?
Old March 20th, 2011 (07:32 AM).
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by adhdguitar:
So far I haven't been able to find info on this, so I came here.

Does anyone know what Special 0x39 does?
According to JPAN's Study, it:

Quote originally posted by JPAN:
039 used vs-seeker. placed in given variable if it was fought before or not
Old March 20th, 2011 (07:56 AM).
Complans
Trainer

I doubt there is, but is there a command that removes a Pokémon from your party? Like, the first one or something?
Old March 20th, 2011 (10:51 AM).
Bozster
Chief Lunatic

Quote originally posted by uber_pineapple:
I have a question, I did some searching and couldn't find anything about what I want.

I want to increase the shiny pokemon rate, for all pokemon. I dont want to create one shiny pokemon encounter or anything like that, I just want to change the shiny pokemon rate. Right now it's 1/8192, well I would like it to be more like 8/8192 or 1/1024 or maybe 1/512.

--------

also, whats the best tool to re-organize the pokedex? Moving the pokemon within the dex so I have have a custom region.
Try Team Snag'em's Pokédex Order Editor - it should be somewhere in 'Toolbox.'
Now I have a question:

I'm planning to try something rather ambitious. Would it be possible to insert full size 100x100 .GIF Pokémon sprites from B/W (the ones that move) into Emerald?
If so, where do I start?
Old March 20th, 2011 (12:04 PM).
Complans
Trainer

Quote originally posted by Bozster:
Try Team Snag'em's Pokédex Order Editor - it should be somewhere in 'Toolbox.'
Now I have a question:

I'm planning to try something rather ambitious. Would it be possible to insert full size 100x100 .GIF Pokémon sprites from B/W (the ones that move) into Emerald?
If so, where do I start?
If you mean the full 20-frame sprites, I doubt you will be able to do that. I could be wrong, though.
Old March 20th, 2011 (12:08 PM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Complans:
If you mean the full 20-frame sprites, I doubt you will be able to do that. I could be wrong, though.
could be done with some extensive ASM.
Almost anything can be done with ASM
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old March 20th, 2011 (12:29 PM).
Bozster
Chief Lunatic

Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
could be done with some extensive ASM.
Almost anything can be done with ASM
I'm almost certain that it CAN be done with ASM, but will the GBA engine be able to support it?

And also, does anybody know how to resize sprites? I'm hoping to change the size from 64x64 to 80x80 or even 100x100.
Old March 20th, 2011 (03:29 PM).
tpmrpg
Beginning Hacker, Gamer

Unless you can make 2 sprites appear as 1 pokemon in the correct positioning, it has to be 64X64
Old March 20th, 2011 (03:41 PM).
kringlur

Tile Layer Pro and Yellow version errors:

Sprites stored at the "top" of the ROM have weird... moved lines compared to the result image, and compared to the sprites stored at the bottom of the ROM which look normal. I tried to directly paste a sprite from the bottom to a sprite on the top and attached is what happened. The sprites also have these misplaced lines in them when using the Pokemon Yellow Sprite editor, so it's not just TLP.

How can I get around this? I just want to replace some of the sprites in the "top".
Old March 20th, 2011 (04:30 PM).
fyrkant
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
I'm editing wild pokemon encounters in Red version, and just wonder what the last two hex values before the ending ones (00 19) are about? It looks like it's one of the pokemon encounters (for route 1, the last ones are 05 24 00 19 - would be lv 5 Pidgey) but I ran around trying to encounter such a pokemon on the route without success...
Old March 20th, 2011 (04:35 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Bozster:
If so, where do I start?
It's not really practical. The GBA can only load a 64x64 image (via the OAM) without needing a tilemap.

So possible, yes, but not very likely.
Old March 20th, 2011 (07:44 PM).
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

I have a strange thingy that I have no idea on how it should be fixed. I lead a warp to a new map I inserted into the ROM and it looks fine and nothing seems to have changed, but the scripts won't activate on it. Also, the movement permissions I changed stay in their original state (As in, I change a few unwalkable tiles to walkable, but in the game they stay unwalkable), even though they are changed in AdvanceMap.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Sponsored Links