Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2011 (06:08 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by deoxys121:
I posted this about a week ago, but didn't get any answers. So, I'm trying again.

I'm currently working on a hack of Pokemon Ruby, and would like to know if there is a way to edit the plasplasplasplasplasbadges. By that, I mean the images of the plasplasplasplasplasbadges that appear on your trainer card after you get them. If it's a certain image number in UnLZ-GBA, I could probably figure it out if I'm just given the image number, as I have a fair deal of experience using UnLZ-GBA for sprites and title screens. If there is a tool out there somewhen to edit the plasplasplasplasplasbadges, then that's even better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
The images for the badges are uncompressed, meaning that you won't find them in unLZ. Instead, you should open your ROM with a tile editor (like Tile Molester) and navigate to '0x3b5ab8', where the badge images are stored.

Brother of Vrai
Old April 1st, 2011 (06:11 PM). Edited April 1st, 2011 by DrFuji.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by joshblevins:
my Blanket freezes when the red mark is on the pic of my map and the movement permissions and behavior byte are correct so im stumped.
Its strange that it would just freeze at that point for no reason. Are there any scripts on that line?

Quote originally posted by adhdguitar:
I've recently encountered a glitch were after ending a Arrest or closing the menu, the character is frozen, but trying to move moves the screen a few spaces in any direction.

Also, in some instances, you end up taking control of a nearby CPU what can move within the boundaries of a couple spaces. Any idea on what might be causing this?
Have a look at your NPCs and check if any have the movement type 'Look Down'. If some have do, change it to 'No Movement'.
Old April 1st, 2011 (06:14 PM).
White Kyurem Cometh
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
The images for the plasbadges are uncompressed, meaning that you won't find them in unLZ. Instead, you should open your ROM with a tile editor (like Tile Molester) and navigate to '0x3b5ab8', when the plasbadge images are stored.
Thank you! I've been trying to figure that out for quite a while now.
Old April 1st, 2011 (11:08 PM). Edited April 2nd, 2011 by CrazyShooter.

Hi. I'm new to the forum but not new to mapping.
First of all, I'm using advance map 1.92.

My problem is that I can't warp to a new map i created.
Here's more detail:

In pokemon leaf green, I extended Pallet Town and made it from 24x20 (I think it was) to 58x30 (exactly). In the new area of pallet town (just remember this is still on the same map; 3.0-bank.map) I made a new house. I also made a new map (11x9) and inserted it in 4.4 next to the other "PALLET TOWN" maps, but named it "Pallet Town Fisherman's map" (Since there will be a fisherman there). I selected the number of warps +1 higher than the already existing number (so 4 warps), thus adding a new warp. I dragged the new warp onto the door of the new house (in map 3.0) and told it to warp to map 4.4, to warp no. 1. Remembering this I went to the map "Pallet Town Fisherman's House" and added 3 warps, placed 2 next to the doorstep and 1 ON the doorstep, like on all pre-existing maps, and made sure I put warp no. 1 on the doorstep (no. 0 on the left and no. 2 on the right). I also entered the destination as map 3.0 and warp no. 3. When I try and enter the new house (on 3.0) i go nowhere. The screen goes black, even though I can still hear the music. I thought maybe it had something to do with the unknowns so I played around with those but nothing (I tried different combos of 03's and/or 00's only - but I'm not sure if i've used all possible combos - btw I dont know what the unknowns are, i just assumed it might had something to do with those). Basically at this point I think that the only problem is that the fisherman's map is new, thus I probably have to add some settings. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out. Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2011 (06:59 AM).
Spanish hacker [Javi4315]

Nature: Timid
I have inserted a DNS in my hack, but when I play it, appear a message: "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed", and I can't save the game, what happen?

My tutorials:

Old April 2nd, 2011 (07:04 AM).
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by jota_rdk:
I have inserted a DNS in my hack, but when I play it, appear a message: "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed", and I can't save the game, what happen?
Go to the emulator option in the VBS go to save type change it to 128k and reset (cltr. + r)
Old April 2nd, 2011 (11:02 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
When I try to insert Gen 5 sprites into unlz.gba, they show up uncolred. It works for Bulbasaur, but its backsprite shows up discolored. Same with Charmander's front sprite. I indexed them too. Any help?
Old April 2nd, 2011 (08:04 PM).
J946@5488AA97464

Quote originally posted by creatorofchaos:
I'm making a hack of Pokemon gold, and if I attempt to interact with certain sprites, this error message pops up.

Unknown opcode fc at _ _ _ _.

It only seems to occur with certain objects, and sometimes a random glitchy effect happens before the message, the only editors I'm using are tile molester, johtomap, and I have windhex for hex editing, I have no idea what is going on, as I haven't touched scripts or or any code, I've just edited graphics and maps, help is appreciated.
Sounds like a bug in one of the tools that you used, or user error (i.e., you could have edited a wrong byte).

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old April 2nd, 2011 (11:08 PM).

Hmmm... no one answered my question... Ill repost it.

Quote:
Hey guys.
Well, first of all, I'm using advance map 1.92.

My problem is that I can't warp to a new map i created.
Here's more detail:

In pokemon leaf green, I extended Pallet Town and made it from 24x20 (I think it was) to 58x30 (exactly). In the new area of pallet town (just remember this is still on the same map; 3.0-bank.map) I made a new house. I also made a new map (11x9) and inserted it in 4.4 next to the other "PALLET TOWN" maps, but named it "Pallet Town Fisherman's map" (Since there will be a fisherman there). I selected the number of warps +1 higher than the already existing number (so 4 warps), thus adding a new warp. I dragged the new warp onto the door of the new house (in map 3.0) and told it to warp to map 4.4, to warp no. 1. Remembering this I went to the map "Pallet Town Fisherman's House" and added 3 warps, placed 2 next to the doorstep and 1 ON the doorstep, like on all pre-existing maps, and made sure I put warp no. 1 on the doorstep (no. 0 on the left and no. 2 on the right). I also entered the destination as map 3.0 and warp no. 3. When I try and enter the new house (on 3.0) i go nowhere. The screen goes black, even though I can still hear the music. I thought maybe it had something to do with the unknowns so I played around with those but nothing (I tried different combos of 03's and/or 00's only - but I'm not sure if i've used all possible combos - btw I dont know what the unknowns are, i just assumed it might had something to do with those). Basically at this point I think that the only problem is that the fisherman's map is new, thus I probably have to add some settings. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out. Thanks.
Actually im not gonna continue with this project but I still need to solve the prob with warping to new maps since Ill need to use it almost 100% for other projects.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (12:18 AM).
Vulpix FTW

Well, I haven't started my first hack yet...but I was wondering...
Is it possible to implement 2 rivals in Pokémon FireRed?
Old April 3rd, 2011 (01:16 AM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Quote originally posted by Aurora Vulpix:
Well, I haven't started my first hack yet...but I was wondering...
Is it possible to implement 2 rivals in Pokémon FireRed?
It is simple, but not SO simple unless you know basic scripting or how to use a script generator.
FireRed's coding has trainers from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald in its data, so that means you can use all of them for another rival.
Using a script generator/your own scripting skills, you can create several events where you battle this new person.
Again, unless you know how to fully script, your rival can't be as elaborate as Blue.
You could even take out some of the weaker trainers and edit their script.
Hope I helped :D

P.S. Just to let you know, I'm making a FireRed hack and there's a rival-type trainer who keeps popping up.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (02:52 AM).
... Has one gear: Go

Okay so I have a simple question (I think):

I was thinking of implementing certain **cough Maggyo cough** Newer Pokemon and Fakemon into my rom hack of Fire Red, but I want to make sure I have the shiny colors right. So my question is are the colors for shinyness predetermined in the palette, or are there shiny sprites put in the rom as seperate images?

thanks!

High Five Sir VineAlviniSagBrite Nite
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (03:02 AM). Edited April 3rd, 2011 by Skara.
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Quote originally posted by Altaïr:
Okay so I have a simple question (I think):

I was thinking of implementing certain **cough Stunfisk cough** Newer Pokemon and Fakemon into my rom hack of Fire Red, but I want to make sure I have the shiny colors right. So my question is are the colors for shinyness predetermined in the palette, or are there shiny sprites put in the rom as seperate images?

thanks!
They're separate images. If you have a look a Advanced Sprite Editor, you can see that the normal and shiny sprites are different images. Coincidentally, using ASE, you can insert replacement sprites. The best bit is that you don't need the specific palettes to insert the sprites.
I have yet to successfully insert shiny sprites using that program, but if you insert the shiny back sprite into UNLZ, iirc It'll not only determine the shiny front sprite but will also work if the new front sprite is already in the game.

Quote originally posted by PokéLegend:
When I try to insert Gen 5 sprites into unlz.gba, they show up uncolred. It works for Bulbasaur, but its backsprite shows up discolored. Same with Charmander's front sprite. I indexed them too. Any help?
Use Advanced Sprite Editor from Wichu's Advanced Series Toolbox.
For shiny help, refer to my response to Altair.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (10:07 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Thanx. But I don't understand how to write it to a rom. It never saves cuz the sprites are the same
Old April 3rd, 2011 (10:10 AM).
Beginner Hacker

Is there any hacking tools for pokemon red rescue team?

Old April 3rd, 2011 (01:07 PM). Edited April 3rd, 2011 by joshblevins.

Quote originally posted by Skara:
They're separate images. If you have a look a Advanced Sprite Editor, you can see that the normal and shiny sprites are different images. Coincidentally, using ASE, you can insert replacement sprites. The best bit is that you don't need the specific palettes to insert the sprites.
I have yet to successfully insert shiny sprites using that program, but if you insert the shiny back sprite into UNLZ, iirc It'll not only determine the shiny front sprite but will also work if the new front sprite is already in the game.

Use Advanced Sprite Editor from Wichu's Advanced Series Toolbox.
For shiny help, refer to my response to Altair.
nvm user error completely its so easy
Old April 3rd, 2011 (02:01 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

I have two questions about tile animations in firered:

1). How do you create/edit tile animations (like the water or the flowers)?

2). How do you change the colors of existing tile animations (for example, like changing the moving red flower to a blue one)?

I appreciate any help!
Old April 3rd, 2011 (02:38 PM).

I'd like to edit their stats and battle sprites kind of missingno. like in pokemon brown.

I also have some side questions:

How do I edit the events and warps in 1st generation games if the map editors I find don't have such features?

Is it possible to add a little bit of Johto west of Kanto? I tried expanding the maps, but it didn't turn out too well...
Old April 3rd, 2011 (04:19 PM).

Ok, i tried to search but I kept getting back like 500 results, so-

Is there a 'simple' way to change my player's sprite and backsprite, that doesnt require extensive knowledge? Thanks in advance.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (04:26 PM).

Quote originally posted by Chriskw:
Ok, i tried to search but I kept getting back like 500 results, so-

Is there a 'simple' way to change my player's sprite and backsprite, that doesnt require extensive knowledge? Thanks in advance.
i know NSE has a bookmark for them, it shows the frames and you can edit each one.

Quote originally posted by Johto_legend:
Hey, Im interested in learning about hex editing and ASM, basically i want to know the rom inside and out. does anyone have any good starting points for me? any tutorials or suggests would be appreciated.
bumping my question.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (05:56 PM).
is readin' up on his XSE :3

Nature: Lax
I searched for an answer, but sadly the phase "HM" is cut out of searches. Great.

I've gotten the first badge in my hack, and afterwards the only way to progress is by getting HM01 and cutting down trees. I've got HM01, but of course I need the 2nd badge instead of the BoulderBadge, which I have. I could easily edit the script to give the CascadeBadge instead, but that would mean alot of work, in that I'd have to start my game over in order to get the badge all over again (and removing all my Pokémon/Items).

So, my question is, how can I edit the game so I don't need certain badges to use certain HMs outside of battle? I figure this'll knowledge will come in handy later, and I'd rather get the badges in numerical order anyway. Thanks!
Working on a FireRed Hack! My first hack, but I'm making it as detailed and non-half-assed as possible!! No name yet. Main antagonist is Professor Mharú (Gaelic for slaughter, or killing) (Thanks Spherical Ice) who does evil things that are a secret and I won't reveal ;D
Old April 3rd, 2011 (07:07 PM).

anybody know how to add day/night specific pokemon?
Old April 3rd, 2011 (07:29 PM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by shinyabsol1:
I have two questions about tile animations in firered:

1). How do you create/edit tile animations (like the water or the flowers)?

2). How do you change the colors of existing tile animations (for example, like changing the moving red flower to a blue one)?

I appreciate any help!
You can use the bookmarks in NSE to edit the flower (and grass) animations. Other animations such as water can be edited by following this tutorial (Note that the offsets involved are for FR).

Changing the colours will require you to edit the pallets involved. You can easily do this in Advance Map's block editor.

Quote originally posted by DeepKickSavior:
I searched for an answer, but sadly the phase "HM" is cut out of searches. Great.

I've gotten the first badge in my hack, and afterwards the only way to progress is by getting HM01 and cutting down trees. I've got HM01, but of course I need the 2nd badge instead of the BoulderBadge, which I have. I could easily edit the script to give the CascadeBadge instead, but that would mean alot of work, in that I'd have to start my game over in order to get the badge all over again (and removing all my Pokémon/Items).

So, my question is, how can I edit the game so I don't need certain badges to use certain HMs outside of battle? I figure this'll knowledge will come in handy later, and I'd rather get the badges in numerical order anyway. Thanks!
Basic HM skills such as Cut, Rock Smash and Strength can have their badge restrictions edited as they all are based around simple scripts. Open a Cut tree's script in the script editor of your choice and search for the line 'checkflag 0x821' as it is the part that checks if you have the second gym badge. You can remove it completely so there are no restrictions on when you can use it, or alter it so that you can get it earlier/ later than the second badge.

This sort of editing is far more complex for Fly, Flash, Surf and Waterfall as they are mainly run through ASM.
Old April 3rd, 2011 (11:00 PM).

Hey guys where can I find the hex values for each item?
Old April 3rd, 2011 (11:13 PM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by CrazyShooter:
Hey guys where can I find the hex values for each item?
Here is an old thread that has everything you want.

Sponsored Links