Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2011 (06:24 AM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Crashgek:
Ok... for the THIRD time:
Is there a footprint editor that works with Emerald?!
No. I linked you to the only known footprint editor. Use a program such as Tile Layer Pro, since they are not compressed (I think.)
Old April 28th, 2011 (06:53 AM).
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
No. I linked you to the only known footprint editor. Use a program such as Tile Layer Pro, since they are not compressed (I think.)
I kind of need to edit footprints too. Would you happen to know what the offset I would go to in Tile Molester would be to edit the footprints?
Old April 28th, 2011 (06:55 AM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Crashgek:
........... are you sure?
99.99999999999999999999% sure.
Quote originally posted by deoxys121:
I kind of need to edit footprints too. Would you happen to know what the offset I would go to in Tile Molester would be to edit the footprints?
Nope, sorry.
Old April 28th, 2011 (01:25 PM).
adamb241
Pokémon Raging Fury

Nature: Brave
In Fire Red, are the HM linked to respective badges or is there a script involved to active the HM? (Beating brock in FR lets you use HM 5 outside of battle).
Also, is there a way to change what HM are unlocked when receiving a badge?

\-Pokémon Raging Fury-/
+A new project from Dark Steel Productions+
Old April 28th, 2011 (02:16 PM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by adamb241:
In Fire Red, are the HM linked to respective badges or is there a script involved to active the HM? (Beating brock in FR lets you use HM 5 outside of battle).
Also, is there a way to change what HM are unlocked when receiving a badge?
For unlocking Rock Smash, Cut and Strength, it's just a checkflag in the overworld's script, so you could just change the script. As for the other HMs, I think it's either encrypted in the tile's behaviour byte or is ASM. How you'd go about editing that, I'm afaid I've no idea. Sorry. >:
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:27 PM).
Polarodai
Beginning Trainer

How do you make a sprite not appear by default, so that you can use the "showsprite" script to make it appear when you need it to?

Background info:
I have a script set up so that a person appears as if they came to your room from up the stairs (first room of the game), with a whole dialogue set up afterwards. Everything works fine except for the fact that I need the person hidden so that the illusion that they are entering the room is made. Instead, with all that I have tried, they aren't hidden and they appear to just stand there in the doorway and defeat the whole purpose of the scene.

I have tried making them hidden with the movements setting in adv.map, but to no avail. Basically I want something similar to what happened with Oak upon the first step into Route 1 in RBY (He appears out of thin air offscreen and goes along with the script). Problem is, they won't stay hidden until the script starts.

Help would be very much appreciated.
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:30 PM).
AyameHikaru
Beauty Queen

Nature: Impish
I am making a hack of FR that is a crossover with Disgaea. I've read many threads about music extraction, and have successfully extracted from a few .nds files. BUT, Disgaea DS, the game I really WANT to extract music from, is arranged differently from most DS games. I've tried using NDSSNDEXT & VGM Trans, but neither can recognize the way Disgaea codes its music.

A jaunt into CrystalTile showed that there is a file in the .nds called music.dat. I tried extracting it and changing it to a .sdat, but neither program read it. I tried leaving it as a .dat, but neither program recognized it.

I am desperate. Right now the only way I can see to get musci from Disgaea into FR is to make by ear every song in MIDI form. That would be a nightmare and I'd adore it if anyone could find a way around that.

For the record I have used three different Disgaea DS roms, in addition to a Japanese one.
Ultimate Fire Type Challenge: Johto, 10 Badges
Lyrics Challenge: Kanto, 1 Badge
Nuzlocke Challenge: Kanto, 0 Badges
Monochrome Challenge: Hoenn, 5 Badges
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:31 PM).
Swellow rules
Beginning Trainer

Edit, although it would be EXTREMELY hard would it be possible to add the physical/special split to Gen III.
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:35 PM).
AyameHikaru
Beauty Queen

Nature: Impish
@Swellow: I believe there's a thread about that in the R & D Section. Go take a look.
Ultimate Fire Type Challenge: Johto, 10 Badges
Lyrics Challenge: Kanto, 1 Badge
Nuzlocke Challenge: Kanto, 0 Badges
Monochrome Challenge: Hoenn, 5 Badges
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:38 PM).
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Quote originally posted by Polarodai:
How do you make a sprite not appear by default, so that you can use the "showsprite" script to make it appear when you need it to?

Background info:
I have a script set up so that a person appears as if they came to your room from up the stairs (first room of the game), with a whole dialogue set up afterwards. Everything works fine except for the fact that I need the person hidden so that the illusion that they are entering the room is made. Instead, with all that I have tried, they aren't hidden and they appear to just stand there in the doorway and defeat the whole purpose of the scene.

I have tried making them hidden with the movements setting in adv.map, but to no avail. Basically I want something similar to what happened with Oak upon the first step into Route 1 in RBY (He appears out of thin air offscreen and goes along with the script). Problem is, they won't stay hidden until the script starts.

Help would be very much appreciated.
Set a flag beforehand and give that flag number to the npc as the person ID. Then in a script, use showsprite to make the sprite appear. To make the appearance permanent, clear the flag you set. :3
Old April 28th, 2011 (03:39 PM).
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Swellow rules:
Edit, although it would be EXTREMELY hard would it be possible to add the physical/special split to Gen III.
There's a thread about in it the R&D Section. However I have to say that it creates a glitch with the Pokemon Minun [or whatever Pokemon occupies the slot 0x162] in which everytime that Pokemon uses a damage dealing move the game will freeze. As far as I know, there isn't a fix for it.
Old April 28th, 2011 (04:28 PM).
Polarodai
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Pokepal17:
Set a flag beforehand and give that flag number to the npc as the person ID. Then in a script, use showsprite to make the sprite appear. To make the appearance permanent, clear the flag you set. :3
Sadly it didn't work. Here's the main deal. You start the game in the player's room. Before you leave, your younger brother comes upstairs to wake you up for your "big day". Then he goes back down and you can continue.

Problem: You spawn within view of him in your room. This is an issue because if he is not already hidden, you can see him in the doorway, which isn't what is supposed to happen. I want his sprite to be invisible before I step on the script box, and then he will appear because of the "showsprite" command (followed by the rest of the script). I need to know if there is a way to make him invisible before the script happens, like with Oak in RBY when he tells you not to go into the tall grass.
Old April 28th, 2011 (04:48 PM).
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Sadly it didn't work. Here's the main deal. You start the game in the player's room. Before you leave, your younger brother comes upstairs to wake you up for your "big day". Then he goes back down and you can continue.

Problem: You spawn within view of him in your room. This is an issue because if he is not already hidden, you can see him in the doorway, which isn't what is supposed to happen. I want his sprite to be invisible before I step on the script box, and then he will appear because of the "showsprite" command (followed by the rest of the script). I need to know if there is a way to make him invisible before the script happens, like with Oak in RBY when he tells you not to go into the tall grass.
Like Pokepal said, use a flag. I recommend putting 002C in his flag box. It's the same flag that causes Oak to be invisible in Pallet Town before stepping near the grass.
Old April 28th, 2011 (05:16 PM).
Polarodai
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Quilava's Master:
Like Pokepal said, use a flag. I recommend putting 002C in his flag box. It's the same flag that causes Oak to be invisible in Pallet Town before stepping near the grass.
That worked perfectly, thanks. So apparently that specific flag has to go in the ID box to make them invisible/passable. No others appear to work. Sadly though, it may only be used once if that's the case.
Old April 28th, 2011 (05:58 PM).
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

That worked perfectly, thanks. So apparently that specific flag has to go in the ID box to make them invisible/passable. No others appear to work. Sadly though, it may only be used once if that's the case.
False. The flag has to be set, using the command "setflag", to make the person invisible. The reason that worked was because apparently 0x2C was set before the start of the game, or something to that affect.
Old April 28th, 2011 (08:47 PM).
Dark pokemon
Beginner Hacker

Is there a way to make a tittle screen on paint

Old April 28th, 2011 (09:29 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Dark pokemon:
Is there a way to make a tittle screen on paint
Not if you want to import it directly. But you can do the different layers in MS Paint before you convert them to 16 colours? That's what I used to do before I got the latest Photo Shop.
Old April 29th, 2011 (04:44 AM).
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Basically it has been sometime i script,
but i still know how to script,
I don't know if this belongs to script or here, but it more fit to be here..

anyway the problem is that, i tried to make a level script, then want to insert in on a-map, insert all the numbers and all but when i press save map scripts,
It shows me this error,
Spoiler:

The level script did work,
but i still want to know why the error pops out.

Old April 29th, 2011 (04:51 AM).
Pidgey
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
It sounds like something is wrong with A-Map, since the error tells you to contact a person.
It may be a bug/an error that they haven't fixed, but I'm not sure.
Old April 29th, 2011 (04:51 PM).
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
lol, still not sure how that comes about,
anyway another question,
i make a new indoor map and insert it at 42.1
the sevault canyon map,
but when in-game i did manage to be on that room but when i press menu and then returns the hero will be on his bike..
I don't know why

Old April 29th, 2011 (05:08 PM).
BBLemon
Beginning Trainer

How do I go about putting in my own tiles on a GBA rom? I want to edit one of them, but I would prefer to use the 5th gen sprites.

And what about the trainer overworld sprites? Can I use the 4th or 5th gen ones? I am very new to this whole concept, so I am not sure how to do this.

And this is a VERY newbie question: What are script editors? What do they do?

I'm sorry for this probably stupid question.
Old April 29th, 2011 (05:38 PM).
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
So in my hack when i defeat a trainer, the script ends but i'm in control of a completely unrelated person in the area.
How do i avoid that?
Old April 29th, 2011 (05:40 PM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Plumpyfoof:
So in my hack when i defeat a trainer, the script ends but i'm in control of a completely unrelated person in the area.
How do i avoid that?
Chances are you set the movement for that sprite (the one you assume control of) to "Look Down". Change it to "No Movement" and that should fix the problem.

Brother of Vrai
Old April 29th, 2011 (05:48 PM). Edited April 29th, 2011 by Plumpyfoof.
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
Chances are you set the movement for that sprite (the one you assume control of) to "Look Down". Change it to "No Movement" and that should fix the problem.
Well that didn't work :\
Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
Yes it did actually hah!
My savestate was in the same room when i left the area and came back in it was fixed, my bad!
Old April 29th, 2011 (07:15 PM). Edited April 30th, 2011 by deoxys121.
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
Not if you want to import it directly. But you can do the different layers in MS Paint before you convert them to 16 colours? That's what I used to do before I got the latest Photo Shop.
Note that for the title screen text (at least in RSE), you have to have UnLZ set to 256 color mode before you export/import the image. The title screen text is image number 1638 in Ruby.

Q from me: Does anybody know the offset of the palette that the image of the Latios from the Pokemon Ruby intro uses? Not the image, I can already find that, I just need to know the offset of the palette so I can edit it. I already know how to edit the image.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. The offset of the palette is 41623E if anyone else wants to know. It's not an LZ77 palette either, so you have to use APE to edit it.

Sponsored Links