The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
bcrobert
Lazy Antagonist

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
All of the trainers that I've added to my hack of Emerald use random items when their pokemon get status ailments. So far I've seen them use Metal Coat, Light Ball, Black Belt, Everstone, and Soul Dew. The message is always "[item] cured [ailment]" even though they have no actual in-battle effect.

I created them with A-trainer but double-checked with a hex editor and can't find the problem. Help?

Last edited by bcrobert; May 23rd, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrobert View Post
All of the trainers that I've added to my hack of Emerald use random items when their pokemon get status ailments. So far I've seen them use Metal Coat, Light Ball, Black Belt, Everstone, and Soul Dew. The message is always "[item] cured [ailment]" even though they have no actual in-battle effect.

I created them with A-trainer but double-checked with a hex editor and can't find the problem. Help?
Maybe Emerald isn't on good terms with A-Trainer?
I've seen lots of options that Emerald might not be compatible with some tools...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM
POKEMONMASTER260

Where are the unLZ #s for item images in Ruby? Apparently RS isn't compatible with the Item Image Editor...
I don't use, "uber," Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Nature: Relaxed
Does anyone know if there is a more efficient way of ripping tiles from a GBC rom than using VBA? IF someone could help me by giving a quick description or anything it owuld be greatly appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:33 AM
EarthQuake
Beginning Trainer

hi,i'm new to the pokecommunity.....forum, fistly sorry for my english isn't as good as yours.... 2ndly... I'm trying to make a hacked ruby version and i don't know.... how to change the old pokemon names to give names to the new pokemons that i've added into rom.... thanx for your patience and your answers
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POKEMONMASTER260 View Post
Where are the unLZ #s for item images in Ruby? Apparently RS isn't compatible with the Item Image Editor...
RS games do not have item images... they're in emerald, firered and leafgreen only...
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
EarthQuake
Beginning Trainer

hi.....i'm new to pokecommunity.... i'm trying to hack GBA roms.... like Leafgreen and ruby... but.... i've made ....a few changes like new pokemons...additions in maps etc..... with a variety of tools i found... but.... i don't know how to change previous pokemon name...to a new one.... for my new sprite..... any suggestions of programs that can change names of pokemons in-battle or in-pokedex or... both? ..... GBA roms only thanx in advance
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthQuake View Post
hi.....i'm new to pokecommunity.... i'm trying to hack GBA roms.... like Leafgreen and ruby... but.... i've made ....a few changes like new pokemons...additions in maps etc..... with a variety of tools i found... but.... i don't know how to change previous pokemon name...to a new one.... for my new sprite..... any suggestions of programs that can change names of pokemons in-battle or in-pokedex or... both? ..... GBA roms only thanx in advance
From what I've decrypted (xD) I suppose you want to change e.g. Bulbasaur to Greenland. Well there's nothing easier :D
Download and use YAPE 0.9. You can download it from thread here.

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
I dunno how "simple" this would be, but I'm looking to decompile special commands, to ASM.
I know it's been done before by JPAN and others, but I'd like to know how as well, so I can learn from it, I've been trying to pick up ASM, and I think it would help.

Any ideas, methods?
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
I dunno how "simple" this would be, but I'm looking to decompile special commands, to ASM.
I know it's been done before by JPAN and others, but I'd like to know how as well, so I can learn from it, I've been trying to pick up ASM, and I think it would help.

Any ideas, methods?
Using a debugger, put a breakpoint on a script with a 'special' command and then follow the routines until you find the address of the 'special' table. It should be pretty apparent when you see it.

Brother of Vrai
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
Using a debugger, put a breakpoint on a script with a 'special' command and then follow the routines until you find the address of the 'special' table. It should be pretty apparent when you see it.
I'm not too awesome with debuggers... I've got no$gba debug mode, but where would I put that breakpoint? Where in the RAM is the currently executing script held? It's these kind of questions that leave me kinda blank...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
I'm not too awesome with debuggers... I've got no$gba debug mode, but where would I put that breakpoint? Where in the RAM is the currently executing script held? It's these kind of questions that leave me kinda blank...
Here are the special tables:
Code:
Fire Red:	15fd60
Emerald:	1dba64
Ruby:		14b194

Brother of Vrai
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:56 PM
glitchyred21
Wants a Hug- And Your Soul

Hello.
I am trying to make a Pokemon GlitchyRed hack (y'know, the creepypasta) and am having a few problems. It may be important to note I am using a mac and opening all my stuff with Winebottler.

1. When I create a custom event, the Open Script button is completely grayed out and I can't edit the event.
2. When I open unLZ-gba and put my ROM into it, it always looks weird and glitchy. See the attachment for a screenshot.

How can I fix these problems?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weird unLZ-gba.jpg‎ (48.1 KB, 16 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Pokemon GlitchyRed Version- Coming Soon
When I figure out how to use AdvanceMap!
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Alomar
Follow me on Twitter @Daubs

Nature: Lax
OK. So I am getting quite aggravated with Emerald. Countless times when I compile my scripts, then test them, they work fine of course, until the end it nearly everytime does this annoying glitch and says "Trainer Registered in the PokeNav!" or plays Battle Frontier music, and then the game freezes. what the hell is this caused by...? It's not my flags im using, or vars, I've tried countless different ones and still no luck? it seems to be just on level scripts majorly, but also occurs after applymovements too.

I'm deeply frustrated with this. DEEPLY
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchyred21 View Post
Hello.
I am trying to make a Pokemon GlitchyRed hack (y'know, the creepypasta) and am having a few problems. It may be important to note I am using a mac and opening all my stuff with Winebottler.

1. When I create a custom event, the Open Script button is completely grayed out and I can't edit the event.
2. When I open unLZ-gba and put my ROM into it, it always looks weird and glitchy. See the attachment for a screenshot.

How can I fix these problems?
I don't understand your first question. Care to clarify? For the second question that's not a glitch. unLZ-gba opens the images in the game you have to search for the particular one you want.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
glitchyred21
Wants a Hug- And Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
I don't understand your first question. Care to clarify? For the second question that's not a glitch. unLZ-gba opens the images in the game you have to search for the particular one you want.
Let's say I want to warp to the top of Mt. Ember from Victory Road (I accidentally deleted all the events on this map, so I need to make a new one). I set the amount of warps I need, click create events, and the warp appears. When I select said warp, I cannot open the script. AdvanceMap will not let me select the option.
And what do you mean by "unLZ-gba opens the images in the game"? Can you clarify, please?

Pokemon GlitchyRed Version- Coming Soon
When I figure out how to use AdvanceMap!
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM
ChimeraReiax
Beginning Trainer

Okay, something that's been bugging me for a while is modulation in music. This bugs me because when you listen to music in Black and White, the instruments sound very amazing because they have modulation modifications (no pun intended). However, if you export the MIDI files from VGMTrans, the modulation won't be kept because VGMTrans doesn't work with modulation. Even if you play a song in VGMTrans, like the rare wild pokemon battle, it'll have the organ play without the shifting pitch we hear in the game.

Now, apparently some people know how to do this, but won't tell. One is the infamous utuber6061, who posted a video recently, which was a hybrid mix of the RSE wild battle music and the BW Rare wild battle music.

But here's the thing: when he imported it originally into the game, it sounded like this (go to 2:03):

As you can tell, the difference is quite noticeable, and usually preferable with the modulation.

Now my question is, does anyone know how to "emulate" the DS modulation settings in a music/sound player? If we can do this, then DS music editing can be greatly improved, because doing so will let musicians hear what their final product will sound like without trial-and-erroring in a hex editor.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
Here are the special tables:
Code:
Fire Red:	15fd60
Emerald:	1dba64
Ruby:		14b194
That's no help to me, I mean it is, but I want to know how to find everything myself, I just have no idea how to do so...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
That's no help to me, I mean it is, but I want to know how to find everything myself, I just have no idea how to do so...
1. Take the number of the special you want to disassemble and multiply it by four
2. Add that number to one of the addresses provided in that table
3. Go to the newly-offset address in a hex editor and write down the address there
3. Disassemble the routine at that address (the one you wrote down) in VBA's Disassembler or in VBA-SDL-H with 'dt ADDRESS'

Brother of Vrai
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
1. Take the number of the special you want to disassemble and multiply it by four
2. Add that number to one of the addresses provided in that table
3. Go to the newly-offset address in a hex editor and write down the address there
3. Disassemble the routine at that address (the one you wrote down) in VBA's Disassembler or in VBA-SDL-H with 'dt ADDRESS'
I mean finding the table itself.
I don't mean to be a bother, I'm just trying to learn this.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Alomar
Follow me on Twitter @Daubs

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar View Post
OK. So I am getting quite aggravated with Emerald. Countless times when I compile my scripts, then test them, they work fine of course, until the end it nearly everytime does this annoying glitch and says "Trainer Registered in the PokeNav!" or plays Battle Frontier music, and then the game freezes. what the hell is this caused by...? It's not my flags im using, or vars, I've tried countless different ones and still no luck? it seems to be just on level scripts majorly, but also occurs after applymovements too.

I'm deeply frustrated with this. DEEPLY
I really need some help here so I can continue scripting lol, so any would be much appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchyred21 View Post
And what do you mean by "unLZ-gba opens the images in the game"? Can you clarify, please?
It means that picture you've shown us is not glitchy at all xD
You must move to over 600 number to be able to see "normal" picture such as pokemon sprites =)

Old May 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthQuake View Post
Use YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimeraReiax View Post
Okay, something that's been bugging me for a while is modulation in music. (...) If we can do this, then DS music editing can be greatly improved, because doing so will let musicians hear what their final product will sound like without trial-and-erroring in a hex editor.
Just go to that site:
h t t p : / / w w w . g a m e s e n t r y x . n e t / s h o w t h r e a d . p h p ? t = 1 2 2 & p a g e = 1 (remove spaces cause I have only 8 posts...)

Last edited by Rasenshurikenbum; May 26th, 2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Binary
え?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
Does anyone know if there is a more efficient way of ripping tiles from a GBC rom than using VBA? IF someone could help me by giving a quick description or anything it owuld be greatly appreciated.
Try using a 1st gen map editor like PokeMap, or a 2nd gen map editor like Gold Map (depending on the game you want to rip the tiles from). I've never tried it myself, but I think it would be much more easier and efficient than ripping tiles using VBA.
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary View Post

Try using a 1st gen map editor like PokeMap, or a 2nd gen map editor like Gold Map (depending on the game you want to rip the tiles from). I've never tried it myself, but I think it would be much more easier and efficient than ripping tiles using VBA.
I'm actually trying to rip them from a game other than pokemon, so I'm not sure those programs would work. Is there a program that can dump the graphics in a readable format, similar to something like Tahaxan?

Sponsored Links

Advertise here