Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2011 (6:21 PM).
Currently working on new hack

Nature: Jolly
I have a very nooby question. My apologies if you get fustrated.

1. Is there a good tutorial (moslty for pokemon hacking) for hex editing and/or ASM hacking? I really want to get to learn these two things more.Im very serious in doing this. I just need something to help get me started.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 28th, 2011 (6:22 PM).

I really hope this isn't a frequent question, because I can't bring myself to wade through 700+ pages of posts to make sure.
I recently found a hack called Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. When I heard about it, I thought "That sounds amazing! Now if only I didn't have to use the silly default trainer!" Then I made my own trainer (I'd show you guys the sprites, but apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts. :/ )

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about ROM hacking. All I want to do is swap my sprites with the male trainer's. ("sprites" meaning the following: All field sprites (biking, running, etc.), Trainer card image (and everywhere else you see the Trainer sprite), Pokeball throwing animation (With and without the silly arm gadget), Cross-Trainer Dialogue images (Man, those were a pain to edit! >_<), "Boy Or Girl" image (Easy once I had the dialogue one), and VS Mugshot (The pic right before a gym leader fight)) I've got all of it made already, I just need to know how to put it all in.

I've looked around the forums, but I only found tutorials for older games, or tutorials that I can only assume make sense to people with a lot more experience than me. Can someone please dumb things down enough so I can do this? Needless to say, it'll mean a lot to me.
Old June 28th, 2011 (8:27 PM).
Hacker Wannabe

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
Well you could always use 1.95 for previewing the connections, and writing the offsets down and use the numbers in 1.92... that's what I do for that...
Oh, that's a good idea. It hadn't really occurred to me to do that. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotar View Post
I really hope this isn't a frequent question, because I can't bring myself to wade through 700+ pages of posts to make sure.
I recently found a hack called Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. When I heard about it, I thought "That sounds amazing! Now if only I didn't have to use the silly default trainer!" Then I made my own trainer (I'd show you guys the sprites, but apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts. :/ )

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about ROM hacking. All I want to do is swap my sprites with the male trainer's. ("sprites" meaning the following: All field sprites (biking, running, etc.), Trainer card image (and everywhere else you see the Trainer sprite), Pokeball throwing animation (With and without the silly arm gadget), Cross-Trainer Dialogue images (Man, those were a pain to edit! >_<), "Boy Or Girl" image (Easy once I had the dialogue one), and VS Mugshot (The pic right before a gym leader fight)) I've got all of it made already, I just need to know how to put it all in.

I've looked around the forums, but I only found tutorials for older games, or tutorials that I can only assume make sense to people with a lot more experience than me. Can someone please dumb things down enough so I can do this? Needless to say, it'll mean a lot to me.
Well, you can use a tool called Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition to fix the field sprites of your trainer, at least. I don't know how to do the others though, sorry. I'm still really new to this myself.

You can download the tool on this thread. Once you get it running, go to File > Open, and then select your rom. Then, recolor all of the player character's sprites. You can navigate from one sprite to the next using the index and frame selections. The player character has sprites in index 0-4, taking up several frames in each. You'll have to edit them all to look the way you want them to. And make sure that the color you use to fill in the background of the sprite isn't used in the actual person, or the background will show up in-game. File > Save each new sprite before moving on to the next.

But, I don't know if it's considered okay to edit a rom hack someone else made (in fact it might even be locked to prevent people from doing so). For something as small as just a trainer sprite, especially if you don't intend to upload it to the internet for others, I guess maybe it would be okay, but I really don't know where the general community would stand on something like that.

I don't have a fancy signature, but I do have Regigigas, and he's pretty cool, too.
Old June 28th, 2011 (9:29 PM).
DashBlacK ~ The Last Chader

Nature: Calm
Hey guys! I am starting my first pokemon hack ever. What I am trying to do is basically make a remake of Pokemon Black for GBA. I was wondering if I should hack on a Fire Red ROM or an Emerald ROM? I wanted to do it on a Fire Red ROM but the thing is that you know like how in Pokemon Black, there is a gift box on the table and then it opens up a full-screen "page" for you to select your pokemon. Emerald also does the same thing except you go into the bag rather than selecting your pokemon from the table, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have that "page" to select pokemon open up in Fire Red?
Old June 29th, 2011 (9:55 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfPhazon View Post
Well, you can use a tool called Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition to fix the field sprites of your trainer, at least. I don't know how to do the others though, sorry. I'm still really new to this myself.

You can download the tool on this thread. Once you get it running, go to File > Open, and then select your rom. Then, recolor all of the player character's sprites. You can navigate from one sprite to the next using the index and frame selections. The player character has sprites in index 0-4, taking up several frames in each. You'll have to edit them all to look the way you want them to. And make sure that the color you use to fill in the background of the sprite isn't used in the actual person, or the background will show up in-game. File > Save each new sprite before moving on to the next.

But, I don't know if it's considered okay to edit a rom hack someone else made (in fact it might even be locked to prevent people from doing so). For something as small as just a trainer sprite, especially if you don't intend to upload it to the internet for others, I guess maybe it would be okay, but I really don't know where the general community would stand on something like that.
It seems this tool doesn't work with DS games. I guess I forgot to mention BlazeBlack and VoltWhite are Black/White hacks. :/

As for editing someone else's hack, it had occurred to me how that might not go over so well. People work hard on these things, and the thought of someone being able to go in and change the credits or something to try to steal their work seems like it'd be a major issue.
That thought didn't occur to me until I was already nearly finished with my sprite sheet, though, so I kinda ignored it for my own sanity.

Now that I think about it, though, hacks work as patches, right? Do you think it's possible to sort of...stack hacks? Like, I could make a simple hack that changes the player character sprites, then add the more complex hack on top of it? That way, I wouldn't be touching the other person's hack and everything would be fine and dandy, right?...Course I still have the problem of not knowing how to hack in the first place...
Old June 29th, 2011 (10:02 AM). Edited June 29th, 2011 by RHIOneAlbum.
Banned

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to RHIOneAlbum
Quote:
It seems this tool doesn't work with DS games. I guess I forgot to mention BlazeBlack and VoltWhite are Black/White hacks. :/

As for editing someone else's hack, it had occurred to me how that might not go over so well. People work hard on these things, and the thought of someone being able to go in and change the credits or something to try to steal their work seems like it'd be a major issue.
That thought didn't occur to me until I was already nearly finished with my sprite sheet, though, so I kinda ignored it for my own sanity.

Now that I think about it, though, hacks work as patches, right? Do you think it's possible to sort of...stack hacks? Like, I could make a simple hack that changes the player character sprites, then add the more complex hack on top of it? That way, I wouldn't be touching the other person's hack and everything would be fine and dandy, right?...Course I still have the problem of not knowing how to hack in the first place...
If you have the permission from the original author to hack their hack-then you may. I have found only one incident where this is allowed, and that was the Liquid Crystal continuation program almost a year ago. Just make sure to ask the original owner if you wanna hack their hack. Nobody likes having their hard work taken without permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutofan9991 View Post
I was trying to change the title screen and when I openeed the rom its gone! Not screen all black. I cant start a new game!

On Unlz it says its not found
What programs have been used on the hack? Some programs (such as advancemap when used carelessly, which everyone does at least once haha) insert their bytes in the wrong area. I'd just say to backup your rom every time you get a few things done so if this type of error happens, then you have a backup and can restart from where you were, say, an hour ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashBlacK View Post
Hey guys! I am starting my first pokemon hack ever. What I am trying to do is basically make a remake of Pokemon Black for GBA. I was wondering if I should hack on a Fire Red ROM or an Emerald ROM? I wanted to do it on a Fire Red ROM but the thing is that you know like how in Pokemon Black, there is a gift box on the table and then it opens up a full-screen "page" for you to select your pokemon. Emerald also does the same thing except you go into the bag rather than selecting your pokemon from the table, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have that "page" to select pokemon open up in Fire Red?
Not without heavy ASM... and Emerald is faulty with AM 1.92 (idk about 1.95) causing random beeps during battle sequences. You can alter it a bit and use the three pokeballs, or just alter the sprites to three gift boxes. Also, Ruby is generally agreed as the easiest to hack, so since you're new, you can join a group or go solo working on Ruby. Firered is not a bad choice, however, plus it has better graphics

Quote:

The only way i know is using the No$GBA paid version and finding the hex bytes to edit byte by byte O_O
Not sure you'd want to do that, and I'm sure theres another way, maybe I should make a program for it :D
Old June 29th, 2011 (11:50 AM).
DashBlacK ~ The Last Chader

Thanks for the reply, I think joining a group would be a good idea. I don't really get the scripting thing because of the hex editing stuff. Well, one more stupid question, umm.... how would I exactly join a group? Like what do i do? Google it?(bad joke)
Old June 29th, 2011 (6:55 PM).
Dreamer

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIOneAlbum View Post
If you have the permission from the original author to hack their hack-then you may.
I wonder if that author had permission from Gamefreak.
Regardless, you should ask the creator if he can hook you up with what you want, Krotar. Who knows, you might make a friend
Old June 29th, 2011 (7:17 PM).

(Maybe it'll let me post links if I don't parse them?)
Anyway, I did some more solo poking around and found this youtube video of a guy swapping sprites into Heart Gold and tried to see if I could do it, too. Things were working all right up until I tried to open the image he told me to. It's probably because I was trying to work on Pokemon White instead of one of the earlier DS games, but maybe I can get it to work somehow anyway? The program involved were kiwi.ds and an image converter called "Pokemon DS/Pic". It keeps telling me an "unhandled exception" was encountered. Any way to go around this, or is it a lost cause?

EDIT: The creators listed the tools they used and none of them seemed to be what I'm looking for. I guess I could try asking if they have something anyway, though. I figured I'd wait to ask until I actually felt I could actually DO any hacking, but I guess there's no harm in asking early.
Old June 29th, 2011 (7:18 PM).

Im hacking Fire Red. I am having trouble changing overworld sprites. I want to put the d/p male characters sprites t replace the ones in fire red. I have the sprites in the right size but there no way to upload them. They need to be 16 color bmp images, or else they just don't work. How do I turn an image into a 16 color bmp? People suppy you with sprite sheets, but what do they help you with? You have to edit them out, and when you do that, your gonna have to change the image file yourself. Whenever I try to change it to a 16 color image, the image loses its color and looks all messed up. Please help.
Old June 30th, 2011 (2:45 PM).

Is there a program that lets you make pokemon moves or at least edit them? Or do I have to rid myself of my cool sinnoh moves for the gym leaders? =(
Old June 30th, 2011 (4:22 PM).

I got the go-ahead from the Hack's creator, and I also found some tools that I think might help me do this Trainer Swap. They're made by Kazo/Magius. From the looks of things, they can be used to implement all the sprites I made except for the X-Trainer Dialogue ones. Problem is that I have no idea how to work the crazy things! >_< My folders are a clusterbomb of extracted ROM files with me having no idea which one's which or what they do or what to do with them! HALP! ;n;
Old June 30th, 2011 (9:47 PM).

Hey, my name's Aerodynamik. I'm new here- signed up specifically to ask this question. I know they say not to ask questions that have already gotten answers, but seeing as the answers won't really work for me, I figure this is okay.

I want to do an LP of Pokémon Soul Silver. To differentiate between this LP and every other Pokémon LP, I've decided to play the game with a twist– The player is the rival, seeing a whole different side of the story than the hero. Mostly, I'd leave the game alone, I wouldn't change anything, using screen caps that only show certain text boxes to change the meaning of the dialogue.

The only thing I would really want to change would be a couple of sprites– specifically the trainer's sprites and the rival's sprites. I'd have them swapped, so the player's rival would look like the hero, and the player's back sprite would be the rival back sprite. The player's over world sprite would be swapped with the rival sprite, etc.

It would be fairly straight forward, but there's a catch– I have a mac computer, running OS 10.5, and most hacking tools won't work. (I know mac computers aren't good for a lot of things, esp. gaming, but it was a gift.) All the tutorials say use this utility or that utility to extract the files, but they don't work on my OS, even with wine. Does anyone know of any (hopefully relatively simple) way I could get around this, or do I have to scrounge around and beg someone to do the sprite swap for me, since I can't do it myself.

Thanks,
Aerodynamik

PS– I know about the AR codes that swap the player's overworld sprite for other character's, but I was hoping for back sprites too, not to mention having the rival be the normal main character, since it would make no sice for the rival to be fighting himself.
Old July 1st, 2011 (1:37 AM). Edited July 1st, 2011 by Hi-Techneon.

Nature: Rash
@Infernhawk: Use Irfanview. There are plenty of tutorials on how to insert Pokémon sprites, and they too need to have 16 colors, so just follow the same steps until the inserting.
@Narutofan9991: There's one in the toolbox here.

Well, now's my question. Upon walking in a certain area in a map in my hack, the game restarts. Is there any way to fix this, or is the map corrupt?

VDex:
White:
Old July 1st, 2011 (7:30 AM).

Hello guys do you think it would be possible to move music from R/B/G/Y to FR/LG that it would sound exactly like in GB games? If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.
Old July 1st, 2011 (11:32 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutofan9991 View Post
Is there a program that lets you make pokemon moves or at least edit them? Or do I have to rid myself of my cool sinnoh moves for the gym leaders? =(
Well... the only way is to revamp their animation in UnlZ and then rename move with for example AEP (I think it's that =D)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 1st, 2011 (12:34 PM). Edited July 1st, 2011 by kringlur.
Velkominn í heim POKéMON!

Nature: Hasty
TLP crashes, both the hacked and regular version, when I try to open a file. It starts, then I click "open" and the browsing box shows but it crashes without any error message before I can even click on a file.

Am I missing a .dll file I need or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokufan View Post
Hello guys do you think it would be possible to move music from R/B/G/Y to FR/LG that it would sound exactly like in GB games? If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.
Yes, it's possible.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121856
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9TUuwtNbzw

I'll put up a tutorial for how to do exactly what you want in a few days or a couple weeks.
Old July 1st, 2011 (9:56 PM).
Currently working on new hack

Nature: Jolly
Anybody have a good start for GSC Hacking? Mainly Scripting for GSC? I have seen many in the tutorials yet you need to know some experience before you can do the tutorials. Anyone have a good starting guide? (Also don't say "Google" because I tried)
Old July 1st, 2011 (9:59 PM).
Skrillexmon is best Pokemon

Nature: Relaxed
Ummmm... How do I change the party icon for a Pokemon with normal sprites that are .bmp/.png? I am hacking Sapphire, so, APIE will not work for me. I really need to change it up, because a Pokemon I made called Hydro is supposed to have his icon instead of Nuzleaf's icon. Yes, I edited Nuzleaf.
Old July 1st, 2011 (11:32 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDogg45 View Post
Ummmm... How do I change the party icon for a Pokemon with normal sprites that are .bmp/.png? I am hacking Sapphire, so, APIE will not work for me. I really need to change it up, because a Pokemon I made called Hydro is supposed to have his icon instead of Nuzleaf's icon. Yes, I edited Nuzleaf.
IconED should be your answer. It's the best icon editor.

Old July 2nd, 2011 (8:46 AM).

How do I change letters/characters in Fire Red? I need to add stuff like þ and ð which don't already exist, but when I go into it using TLP I can only find the Japanese alphabet. There should at least be ä, which I can't find, in there already.

Then I want to make it compatible with A-text so when I type ð in there, it shows up as ð in the game instead of as a blank space.
Old July 2nd, 2011 (8:55 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

I have 2 kinda interesting questions.
1) Does anyone happen to know how to allow catching other trainers pokemon?
Since it can be done thoughout cheating I suppose there should be way how to allow it, or not?
2) Has anyone succesfully implemented wild double battles into 3rd gen game? Or it's really not possible?

Old July 2nd, 2011 (10:21 AM). Edited July 2nd, 2011 by RHIOneAlbum.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
I have 2 kinda interesting questions.
1) Does anyone happen to know how to allow catching other trainers pokemon?
Since it can be done thoughout cheating I suppose there should be way how to allow it, or not?
2) Has anyone succesfully implemented wild double battles into 3rd gen game? Or it's really not possible?
I would imagine if the Gameshark uses hex, you could somehow implement the code into the game through a hex editor. Nice idea for a XD remake or something though.

Wild double battles would probably take some work, I'll research it and post in the R&D area when I find it out. I'm sure it's possible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringlur View Post
How do I change letters/characters in Fire Red? I need to add stuff like þ and ð which don't already exist, but when I go into it using TLP I can only find the Japanese alphabet. There should at least be ä, which I can't find, in there already.

Then I want to make it compatible with A-text so when I type ð in there, it shows up as ð in the game instead of as a blank space.
Try adding international keyboards with those characters, then attempt to type them. First make sure the characters are able to be produced in the games architecture.

Oh yea, a-text is glitchy, try using a more advanced program like XSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDogg45 View Post
I haven't hacked sapphire- but I imagine that Unlz-gba would be able to change the icons. Just save the file you wanna edit from Unlz, then change it in a program like Gimp or Photoshop (paint won't work) then import into Unlz and save the rom!
Old July 2nd, 2011 (10:40 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIOneAlbum View Post

Try adding international keyboards with those characters, then attempt to type them. First make sure the characters are able to be produced in the games architecture.

Oh yea, a-text is glitchy, try using a more advanced program like XSE.
Umm, the problem is that they're not already in the game and I want to put them in. I can type them on my keyboard just fine. When you type letters into A-text, or presumably any other program, and the letters aren't connected to a graphic, it turns into a blank space in the game (and on the program after you save).

So "þið", because the game doesn't already have þ and ð in it, would end up as " i ". I need to fix this.

Editing the alphabet that I can find, which is the Japanese one, doesn't do anything and my edits don't show up while playing - that means it's not the one used in the game, and I can't find the one that is.

The problem is that I can't find the alphabet that IS used in the game in TLP.
Old July 2nd, 2011 (10:53 AM).
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringlur View Post
Umm, the problem is that they're not already in the game and I want to put them in. I can type them on my keyboard just fine. When you type letters into A-text, or presumably any other program, and the letters aren't connected to a graphic, it turns into a blank space in the game (and on the program after you save).

So "þið", because the game doesn't already have þ and ð in it, would end up as " i ". I need to fix this.

Editing the alphabet that I can find, which is the Japanese one, doesn't do anything and my edits don't show up while playing - that means it's not the one used in the game, and I can't find the one that is.

The problem is that I can't find the alphabet that IS used in the game in TLP.
Hm, well since the text is wired to graphics (of which I'm still not sure it's just the font or if it is graphics, haven't done it yet.) I'd use the map viewer in Advancemap and see if you can track down the text you need to edit. Try using some JP characters first so you can track 'em down.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links