Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2011 (11:21 AM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Lyzo:
Waaait, so:
Code:
ldr r0, pokemon_data
loads the address of pokemon_data into r0 and not the actual level bit?
"ldr r0, pokemon_data" loads some address, in this case 0x020242d8, into r0. "ldrb r1, [r0]" loads the byte that is stored at whatever address is in r0 and puts it in r1. Finally, "strb r1, [r0]" takes the contents of r1 and puts it at whatever address is stored in r0 (which is still the address of the level byte). So, that routine loads a byte from the RAM, modifies it a little, and then puts it back where it got it from, overwriting what used to be there.

Brother of Vrai
Old July 28th, 2011 (11:45 AM).
On vacation

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Alright, that's what I did not get from the tutorial. I didn't really understand the difference between ldr str and ldrb and strb. But now I do, thanks so much :D

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old July 28th, 2011 (05:58 PM).

Nature: Impish
Does anyone know how to change the Pokemon's small sprite? The ones that look like this?
Old July 28th, 2011 (06:24 PM).
On vacation

Quote originally posted by ZangoMango:
Does anyone know how to change the Pokemon's small sprite? The ones that look like this?
Wichu has made a tool for editing Pokemon Icons

Here's a link

Old July 29th, 2011 (02:59 AM).

I've inserted a bitmap sprite in the place of Torchic on Ruby, and it works fine when you battle against it but when you use it in battle (i.e. see its backsprite) or see it in the pokedex, the game freezes or restarts just before you would see the sprite. I used nameless sprite editor to insert the image. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old July 29th, 2011 (05:24 AM).
No0b, but getting there.

Hey, I have a few questions. How do I edit the main trainers sprite. I've indexed the file, and then I replace it in UnLz, but it looks messed up so I tried to change the palette in APE, but It said not to, the reason is because when I clicked ignore the game now freezes and goes black when I click the trainer card?? I was thinking that I should insert the sprite into a empty slot and then repoint the offset so the game uses that trainer, but i'm a complete newb, so how would you do that?

Also, I've looked over mapping and it's seem very annoying as when I say change one part of grass, loads of it changes all through the world, when I only want that spot. Is there any way to only change the one spot...?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old July 29th, 2011 (12:10 PM).
Hi!

Nature: Relaxed
In Pokémon Gold can you use the RAM Map in PKSV-UI
Old July 29th, 2011 (12:45 PM).

Pokemon Emerald 1.0
Advance Map
XSE
---

Does anyone know Bagon and Trapinch's hexadecimal number?

Oh, and could I make a title screen in Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks and somehow send it into unLz.gba to use as my titlescreen? I need the titlescreen number too for unLZ.gba unless there's another way I could edit the titlescreen.
Old July 29th, 2011 (12:55 PM).
Not Invented Here

Quote originally posted by Cheesewig:
In Pokémon Gold can you use the RAM Map in PKSV-UI
If you can't find a way to word your question in an understandable form you are going to have a hard time in getting any answer.

Quote originally posted by PokemonPurple:
Check this link; these are decimal but you can use windows calculator to convert them in hexadecimal format.

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old July 29th, 2011 (01:02 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Sawakita:
Check this link; these are decimal but you can use windows calculator to convert them in hexadecimal format.
And if you don't know how to do that, XSE comes with a file called "stdpoke.rbh" which contains the hexadecimal numbers for every pokémon from the first three generations.

Brother of Vrai
Old July 29th, 2011 (01:02 PM).
Scripter (XSE, pokescript)

Pokemon Emerald 1.0
Advance Map
XSE
---

Oh, and could I make a title screen in Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks and somehow send it into unLz.gba to use as my titlescreen? I need the titlescreen number too for unLZ.gba unless there's another way I could edit the titlescreen.
Decimal counts from 0 till 9 and hex counts from 0 till F ( 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)

Bagon's number is 371 what makes 0x173 (funny it's the opposite)
Trapinch's number is 328 what makes 0x148

You CAN edit the title screen, the only way I know is with one of the tools from HackMew (I guess, sorry I'm not sure 'cus i deleted it O.O)
And maybe you can edit it all but than you need to hex edit it and I don't think you're going to that since you asked for the hex codes I say: GOOD LUCK! =D

P.s: You can also use RMXP but I don't know this programm, never got interested in it.
Old July 29th, 2011 (03:30 PM). Edited July 29th, 2011 by PokemonPurple.

Thanks for the help guys, but i'm still unclear on the titlescreen editing, I want it to be completley custom, like I just want to edit the title and background. Can I use Fireworks to do this?

Oh, and does anyone have a flag list for Emerald? Cause i'm new to using flags and I dunno what flag means what. Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2011 (05:02 PM).
/)^3^(\
Silver Tier

I want to know how to decapitalize Pokemon, move names, and item names for Fire Red and Emerald, how do I do that? Also for Fire Red when you get the Pokedex I want it to be in National Dex form when you first obtain it, how do I do that?
Old July 29th, 2011 (05:51 PM).

Quote originally posted by SonicBlazePlatinum:
I want to know how to decapitalize Pokemon, move names, and item names for Fire Red and Emerald, how do I do that? Also for Fire Red when you get the Pokedex I want it to be in National Dex form when you first obtain it, how do I do that?
1) To decapitalize, you have to download a script editor, move editor, Pokemon editor, etc. and manually decapitalize everything. I don't think there's an easier way.
2) It involves flags. I believe the flag for the National Dex (and how to get it to work) is in the XSE tutorial in the Tutorials section here. (I'd explain more but I'm not exactly good at this stuff...)

Hey, everybody, join Riot Act Forums for metal/punk discussion. ...please? We're trying to revive a dead forum... ._.
Old July 29th, 2011 (05:52 PM). Edited July 29th, 2011 by Lyzo.
On vacation

Quote originally posted by SonicBlazePlatinum:
There was a ROM Base that had all the names decapitilized, I think it was wichu that made it? I dunno, use the search function

You can activate the national dex by using the special 0x16F once the player has the pokedex

Old July 29th, 2011 (06:00 PM).

hi!

I have a simple question...

I'm used to hacking (with nes), I mean the command... so I can change intelligence and things like that...

but for games I hacked, pointers were always given... I wondered, if I have something, for example, the pokedex, the list of hex code which tell the order of the pokemon in the pokedex, how can I find the pointer?

are there tutorial about it?

and I found the pokedex by logic... but if I hadn't is there a easy way to find such datas? I just search for number of two bytes in the order of the pokedex and found it...

thx for reading me
Old July 29th, 2011 (06:04 PM).
On vacation

Quote originally posted by Cherrysa23:
hi!

I have a simple question...

I'm used to hacking (with nes), I mean the command... so I can change intelligence and things like that...

but for games I hacked, pointers were always given... I wondered, if I have something, for example, the pokedex, the list of hex code which tell the order of the pokemon in the pokedex, how can I find the pointer?

are there tutorial about it?

and I found the pokedex by logic... but if I hadn't is there a easy way to find such datas? I just search for number of two bytes in the order of the pokedex and found it...

thx for reading me
Alright I think you should do some reading in the tutorials section. Because unlike NES hacking we have a whole bunch of tools here ready for use and rarely do any real hex editing. So take a look around in the tutorial and toolbox sections. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here

Old July 29th, 2011 (06:16 PM).

thx a lot for ansering.

I know and use lots of those tools, but the reason I'm asking, is because I want to expand the bank ok pokemon too to have more. so I would need to have my pointers to points somewhere, and that is why I need to find them. For this, I don't know of any tools...
Old July 29th, 2011 (06:28 PM).

OK guys, so I want a character to flat out disappear after I talk to them. No fade to black, just *poof*, like a cupcake in front of a Snorlax. What's the script for, or how do I go about, doing that? And thanks for the previous answer, Lyzo!
Old July 29th, 2011 (06:56 PM).
On vacation

Quote originally posted by ZangoMango:
OK guys, so I want a character to flat out disappear after I talk to them. No fade to black, just *poof*, like a cupcake in front of a Snorlax. What's the script for, or how do I go about, doing that? And thanks for the previous answer, Lyzo!
There's two ways you can do that

One's better than the other. One is using applymovement and one of the applymovements makes the character dissappear. <- not good one.

THe other is using hidesprite 0xEventNumber

For more info on it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276

that's diego's tutorial on scripting, search 'hidesprite' and go down till you have the part on hidesprite and showsprite.

If you want to make the character dissapear forever, also set a flag and put that in the event properties in advance map

Always glad to help

Old July 29th, 2011 (09:18 PM). Edited July 29th, 2011 by ZangoMango.

Alright, well two questions about that. First, when I try to insert hidesprite into this certain person's script (some guy in Viridian City), it says that "hidesprite" is an unknown command. And second, how do I find out the event number of this guy so that he in specific disappears? Thanks!

Oh and also a different question if you get the chance.. I tried to make a person give the player a Pokemon by assigning the script to a free hex value via PokeScript, but when I assigned the script's new hex value to the person in Advance-Map, the person's script became the following:
Spoiler:
#org 0x8801000
'-----------------------------------
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
#raw 0xFF
'Decompiler stopped due to failsafe mechanism (too many #RAW 0xFF commands)

When it should have looked like
Spoiler:
#org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $question
$question 1 = Accept the POK\eMON?
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 goto $yes
boxset 6
release
end

#org $yes
message $yes1
$yes1 1 = \v\h01 got SPEAROW!
boxset 6
givepokemon 21 7 0X7D
release
end

Any idea why? Thanks again.
Old July 29th, 2011 (10:07 PM).
On vacation

Alright, I don't know much about PokeScript, sorry about that. The hidesprite command is for XSE, but pokescript should have it as well, but it's probably named differently, or it's a #raw... But I wouldn't know...

You should switch over to XSE anyway, seeing as PokeScript is quite outdated and unsupported anyway. It's much like pokescript, but a bit different, and so much easier to use!

You can get it here and here is a quite extensive tutorial. In this tutorial it also shows you how to get the person event number

Old July 30th, 2011 (02:20 AM).
Hi!

Worded better:

Pokemon Gold:
In PKSV-UI Is there a way that I can change RAM Values in a script?

RAM Values like:
D1FF-Player's Sprite
D203-Player's Clothes
Old July 30th, 2011 (07:09 AM).

Does anyone know how to edit the banned pokemon list in emerald battle frontier?
Old July 30th, 2011 (10:38 AM).
Not Invented Here

Quote originally posted by Cheesewig:
Pokemon Gold:
In PKSV-UI Is there a way that I can change RAM Values in a script?

RAM Values like:
D1FF-Player's Sprite
D203-Player's Clothes
There is a way. First, you should probably study Tauwasser's scripting compendium. The command you're looking for is 0x1B.
It took me less than 5 minutes to figure out how the command 0x1B is labeled in PKSV (and I never used that program before), so you should too. You can write the raw command in the ROM, than decompile it and see how it is labeled. Or you could just write your scripts using a hex editor and the Compendium as a reference.

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)