Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2011 (05:01 PM).
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by xionreaver:
I edited two maps for trial and error purposes(I'm new to this) and when I go from one map to the other, some of the tiles turn into seemingly random tiles. How would I fix this? I'm hacking Emerald.
Are the two maps connected? Because that's probably since the two maps have different tilesets. You could try and add a gatehouse between the two maps or make the path to the city/route longer so the tiles will change (I hope I explained that alright).
Old August 1st, 2011 (05:17 PM).
xionreaver
Beginning Trainer

Yeah the maps are connected. And that makes sense. I would have to make the path longer seeing how it's Littleroot Town and Route 1. Thanks for your time though.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (02:37 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
Concerning JPAN's Hacked Engine; Is the patch enough or should I use the tool as well. If I have to use the tool then how many bytes do I need for each of the offsets

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (02:49 AM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by EdensElite:
Concerning JPAN's Hacked Engine; Is the patch enough or should I use the tool as well. If I have to use the tool then how many bytes do I need for each of the offsets
Using the tool is a much better option. It saves a lot of space, since you only insert what you NEED; not everything. I'm not sure about how you know the bytes, though.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (04:52 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

But If I have no concern for space I should just apply the patch and no damage wil be done to the stuff I've already done? So what offsets should I use then?

Also, How do you edit the boxes (you know on the PCs) are they somewhere in UnLz or something?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (05:16 AM).
Hopeless Masquerade
すきま妖怪
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I con't really say this is a simple question, but I'd like to know.

Does anyone have the offset for FireRed's specials table?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:31 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Yeah, Apart from how to change the boxes on PCs

How do you add offsets to headers, specifically the one that allows NSE to read them in the same table as the other OWs.

Old August 2nd, 2011 (11:27 AM).
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Darthatron:
Quote originally posted by EdensElite:
Using the tool is a much better option. It saves a lot of space, since you only insert what you NEED; not everything. I'm not sure about how you know the bytes, though.
In the Word document that comes with the tool, JPAN (in most cases) states which offsets/variables/etc. he used for the various added functions. I assume that you'd enter that same data into the tool in order to keep its functioning consistent with the patch version.

It should also be noted that the patch will remove all existing NPCs and scripts (and Pallet Town's warps, but that's a bug) from the ROM, giving you more space to save scripts in. The tool won't do this for you.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (11:34 AM).
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote originally posted by agentgeo:
I con't really say this is a simple question, but I'd like to know.

Does anyone have the offset for FireRed's specials table?
15FD60 and it is a simple question...
Accept no imitations!
Old August 2nd, 2011 (01:27 PM).
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax
How would I set a step-count limit like in the Safari Zone? I'm trying to make a little minigame.

On a related note, how would I make it a once-daily event?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (06:12 PM).
Hopeless Masquerade
すきま妖怪
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Gamer2020:

15FD60 and it is a simple question...
Thanks! I've been looking for that for a while.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:08 PM).
Cherrysa23
Beginning Trainer

I'd need help to find an emulator which can load pokemon ruby (because I found lots of emulator with breakpoint possibility, but guess what... most of them crash on pokemon games) and I want an emulator which allows for breakpoint (in read and write). the only one I found except the ones that crash is no$gba, for which you need to pay...

can anyone tell me about one working?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:09 PM).
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Trying to replace a trainer sprite by importing it into unLZ, but it keeps telling me the image is not Indexed when I've done the standard treatment to Index it (Irfanview, 16 colors, paste into paint, paste over it the original), which has worked for my other sprites... just not this one. Here's the sprite
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:18 PM).
DavidJCobb

Quote originally posted by ZangoMango:
Trying to replace a trainer sprite by importing it into unLZ, but it keeps telling me the image is not Indexed when I've done the standard treatment to Index it (Irfanview, 16 colors, paste into paint, paste over it the original), which has worked for my other sprites... just not this one. Here's the sprite
Save it directly from IrfanView as a PNG, after decreasing the color depth to 16 colors. Do not select a transparent color.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:39 PM).
Cherrysa23
Beginning Trainer

I actually found this by hackmew

ht tp://ww w.pokecom munity.co m/showthread.php?t=117917&page=4

and from what I see, all the people here use VBA SDL H And open pokemon ruby without problem, but when I do, the screen remains white and I have nothing...
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:42 PM).
DavidJCobb

Quote originally posted by Cherrysa23:
hi!

I actually found this by hackmew

ht tp://ww w.pokecom munity.co m/showthread.php?t=117917&page=4

and from what I see, all the people here use VBA SDL H And open pokemon ruby without problem, but when I do, the screen remains white and I have nothing...
Found a possible answer using Google. Apparently, you need to change the save type that your emulator is using.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (07:47 PM). Edited August 2nd, 2011 by Cherrysa23.
Cherrysa23
Beginning Trainer

actually, I just found that the vba-over.ini file was missing!

it's working now

hi!

I'd have another question which is probably simple... with advance map, how do you change the starting map in pokemon ruby?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (08:20 PM).
DavidJCobb

I'd have another question which is probably simple... with advance map, how do you change the starting map in pokemon ruby?
You can't change it with AdvanceMap. You can change the player's position after the truck cutscene, by using the SMCA tool in HackMew's tool thread. (It's in the spoiler at the bottom of the first post.) I don't know if you can get rid of the truck cutscene itself, though.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (08:59 PM).
Cherrysa23
Beginning Trainer

I would have a last uquestion, about ASM hacking now...

I have a certain address loaded in R1, and I'd like to find where it's done...

so here are my ideas to find it....

have a breakpoint which says : check when R1 = ??? but I don't know how to set it...

find in the cygnus hex editor if there is ldr R1, 08.... but then, I found nowhere what is the instruction in hex for ldr R1, address

that about my ideas...

I,m also not sure if this question isn't too advance for this thread?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (10:09 PM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

hi!

I would have a last uquestion, about ASM hacking now...

I have a certain address loaded in R1, and I'd like to find where it's done...

so here are my ideas to find it....

have a breakpoint which says : check when R1 = ??? but I don't know how to set it...

find in the cygnus hex editor if there is ldr R1, 08.... but then, I found nowhere what is the instruction in hex for ldr R1, address

that about my ideas...

I,m also not sure if this question isn't too advance for this thread?
Which disassembler are you using?
Old August 2nd, 2011 (10:47 PM).
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
I have a person event problem. I created an incredibly complex maze of breakable rocks and boulders. When I tested it, not all of them loaded. I'm guessing it's because of too many events in one space? How can I get them all to load?
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline - Mapping assigned maps, slow pace at the moment.
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3
Old August 2nd, 2011 (10:54 PM).
DavidJCobb

Quote originally posted by U_Flame:
I have a person event problem. I created an incredibly complex maze of breakable rocks and boulders. When I tested it, not all of them loaded. I'm guessing it's because of too many events in one space? How can I get them all to load?
To the best of my knowledge, you can't -- if there are more than 16. I'm fairly certain that there's a hard limit of 16 OWs on-screen (on-map?), including the player-character.

If you're using FireRed with JPAN's hack, then some very complex tile scripts (where the rocks are tiles instead of Person events) could help, but I'm not sure if that would work. Even if it did, the boulders would still need to be Person events.
Old August 2nd, 2011 (11:45 PM). Edited August 3rd, 2011 by wackyracer.
wackyracer
Beginning Trainer

I'm very new to pokemon ROM development, but not new to game development. I need help with something simple (at least it seems that way).

I'm having trouble finding a way to get Advance-Text and my Emerald ROM to show all of the speeches from all NPCs (computer people) in the game.

It used to say that I had no INI file and I had to make a new blank one. I was not about to do that so I researched and found a thread here at pokecommunity from sandchair or whatever and he posted an INI file for Advance-Text Emerald speeches, but not all of them, and some still in gibberish / encrypted code.

His INI file is really annoying and not 100% finished, and I'm working on a pokemon game of mine... I can't really edit all of the needed speeches properly...

So much would be appreciated if I could get an INI file that contains all of the speeches or some other way to get all of the speeches and edit them. Whatever way it has to be done, I will go do it. Just give me the help, please

EDIT: And I also would like to know if the Emerald Title screen is editable, and if the intro scene with Birch is editable (changing the example pokemon from Lotad to something else)?
Old August 3rd, 2011 (12:06 AM).
HACKERXIDE
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Could someone explain how to script a battle where someone walks up to you and says something then a battle happens(like when you battle gary half of the time). I don't know how to combine trainerbattle and applymovement.
Old August 3rd, 2011 (12:51 AM).
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by wackyracer:
I'm very new to pokemon ROM development, but not new to game development. I need help with something simple (at least it seems that way).

I'm having trouble finding a way to get Advance-Text and my Emerald ROM to show all of the speeches from all NPCs (computer people) in the game.

It used to say that I had no INI file and I had to make a new blank one. I was not about to do that so I researched and found a thread here at pokecommunity from sandchair or whatever and he posted an INI file for Advance-Text Emerald speeches, but not all of them, and some still in gibberish / encrypted code.

His INI file is really annoying and not 100% finished, and I'm working on a pokemon game of mine... I can't really edit all of the needed speeches properly...

So much would be appreciated if I could get an INI file that contains all of the speeches or some other way to get all of the speeches and edit them. Whatever way it has to be done, I will go do it. Just give me the help, please

EDIT: And I also would like to know if the Emerald Title screen is editable, and if the intro scene with Birch is editable (changing the example pokemon from Lotad to something else)?
You can search for text. So find the text you want to replace in the game, then search for it in the program. There is no complete INI file.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links