The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
Yeah, Apart from how to change the boxes on PCs

How do you add offsets to headers, specifically the one that allows NSE to read them in the same table as the other OWs.
It's kinda annoying when I get repeatedly ignored >.<

Anyway, I downloaded Sappy but when I try and run it, I get a runtime error 339. It says Component 'vbalCbEx.ocx' is not registered; a file missing or invalid. What's going on? How do I fix it?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:

Anyway, I downloaded Sappy but when I try and run it, I get a runtime error 339. It says Component 'vbalCbEx.ocx' is not registered; a file missing or invalid. What's going on? How do I fix it?
What is going on is that the "Component 'vbalCbEx.ocx' is not registered"

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Lyzo
On vacation

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Quote:

Look, I'm sorry if you got ignored, but apparently no one has an answer to your question. Reformulate it, and explain it better, maybe people will be able to help you then.

I do however have an answer to your sappy question. You probably downloaded this sappy? That sappy only works if you have a previous version of sappy installed, because it misses all the runtime files. So, to get this version to work, first install this version (version 12) from WaHack. Then download the first version I mentioned (version 15), and run that one each time you want to use sappy. You now have a working sappy for Windows 7 and Vista :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post

What is going on is that the "Component 'vbalCbEx.ocx' is not registered"

You. Should keep quite if you have nothing useful to say.

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:48 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

It's working now Thankyou Lyzo!

Do you know how I can extract .mid's from a .gb or .gbc file?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax
How do you set a step-count limit, such as the one in the Safari Zone?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

How can I change the pallete of the bag and the trainer card trainer, without it messing up?

Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Cherrysa23
Beginning Trainer

thx for answering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Which disassembler are you using?
I'm using VBA SDL H as a debugger for pokemon ruby

Last edited by Cherrysa23; August 3rd, 2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
Save it directly from IrfanView as a PNG, after decreasing the color depth to 16 colors. Do not select a transparent color.
That much works, but some problem occurs when I paste the original sprite over the post-IrfanView sprite in MS Paint that makes it go from 16 colors to 32. I even tried making the original sprite 16 colors thru IrfanView and that didn't work either. Hmm...
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
You are pasting the sprite that you copied it after decreasing the colour depth, not before?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Yeah. I decreased to 16 colors in IrfanView, did the pallete thing where you switch black with the background color, saved, opened in Paint, pasted original sprite over it. Comes out to 32 colors for some reason.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
No, you should decrease to 16 colours, copy the sprite, do the palette thing, save, open in Paint and paste.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

So decrease the original sprite to 16, copy it, edit the pallete by switching background with black and black with background, save, open post-pallete in Paint, then paste the pre-pallete over it? I think I did that but no luck so far, unLZ keeps saying it's not Indexed.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
michaeltheiii
Need help learning Hex Editing

I'm using unlz-GBA. I understand how to find free space and tell it where it should use it at, what I don't understand is when most people do it, it shows a screen saying Success or something like that. Mine doesn't do that, and therefore doesn't save. Help?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Vittorini
Expert Trainer

Nature: Quiet
Hello everyone. I'm having a frustrating problem with the warps in Advance Map. I'm editing a Fire Red ROM. My problem is when I try to go through the warp the screen goes black and there is no music (the game appears to have frozen/crashed). I'm %100 positive the warp events between the two maps match up (by clicking goto on both maps). I've tried matching the tile sets of the maps exactly but the problem is still occurring. I asked this question a while back and no one knew what was wrong. Well if anyone has any suggestions on what I can try to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
OMG!
I get this error when starting a program! I can see that it says something but I can't read it help!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
SBird

Hey guys, I'm from the german hacking scene, or better said, what we left from it. My english is not the best, just to warn you.
I hope you guys can help me, I am working for a new project with the encounters of pokemon, my Problem is that I have to know what kind of battle is going on(just a few moments before the battle begins) Is there any Flag in the RAM which could show me if it is a water battle, fishing rod battle or just normal in grass.(Like the four categories of battles each map has its own Encounter Data for)
Hope i can find help, I spent nights in front of my disassembler and debugger, but did not find anything.

~SBird
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Lyzo
On vacation

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorini View Post
Hello everyone. I'm having a frustrating problem with the warps in Advance Map. I'm editing a Fire Red ROM. My problem is when I try to go through the warp the screen goes black and there is no music (the game appears to have frozen/crashed). I'm %100 positive the warp events between the two maps match up (by clicking goto on both maps). I've tried matching the tile sets of the maps exactly but the problem is still occurring. I asked this question a while back and no one knew what was wrong. Well if anyone has any suggestions on what I can try to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.
There's probably something wrong on the map you are warping to. Maybe a levelscript, or an event with the wrong settings. Try warping to a different map first, if that works, it something on the map you were first warping to that's wrong. Then take away all the events and keep adding them one by one till you find out what's causing the problem. Once you find out what's causing it, come back here, unless you can fix it yourself

Quote:
OMG!
I get this error when starting a program! I can see that it says something but I can't read it help!
You're probably opening sappy right? Download sappy from here. This sappy has to be installed first. Do that, and once you're finished, you can run the version that you get the error with now.

If it's not sappy, then tell us what program you can't run, and we'll try and help you.

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Vittorini
Expert Trainer

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzo View Post
There's probably something wrong on the map you are warping to. Maybe a levelscript, or an event with the wrong settings. Try warping to a different map first, if that works, it something on the map you were first warping to that's wrong. Then take away all the events and keep adding them one by one till you find out what's causing the problem. Once you find out what's causing it, come back here, unless you can fix it yourself
Firstly I really want to thank you for your help! But the problem is still happening even though I have a better idea of what's going on. The problem is with the map I am warping to. I tried warping to a different map and it worked.

I made sure there are no level scripts on either of the maps. I deleted all the events on the problem map I'm trying to warp to but still the screen goes black and the music dies. Man this is stupid lol. Why won't it work?!

Last edited by Vittorini; August 3rd, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
I know NOTHING of 4th/5th gen hacking, but I was wondering if HeartGold and SoulSilver's Japanese Game Corner data is left in the American version. I want to know if there's any hope of hackers bringing it back.

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorini View Post
Firstly I really want to thank you for your help! But the problem is still happening even though I have a better idea of what's going on. The problem is with the map I am warping to. I tried warping to a different map and it worked.

I made sure there are no level scripts on either of the maps. I deleted all the events on the problem map I'm trying to warp to but still the screen goes black and the music dies. Man this is stupid lol. Why won't it work?!
I would be willing to say your ROM is trashed, my good friend.
**edit**
OR there's some crucial setting in the maps header that is set incorrectly.
I would advise changing the map and seeing if you still crash, as Lyzo suggested. If it crashes, your ROM is screwed. Otherwise, you probably need to re-do your map on a different bank/etc.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
So decrease the original sprite to 16, copy it, edit the pallete by switching background with black and black with background, save, open post-pallete in Paint, then paste the pre-pallete over it? I think I did that but no luck so far, unLZ keeps saying it's not Indexed.
Wait, lemme get this straight...

Your problem is that when you convert it to an indexed image in IrfanView, the wrong color ends up being transparent -- black instead of yellow, yes? If this is your problem, then I can send you some instructions on how to create an indexed image with the proper palette using GIMP.

Quote:
nope.avi
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Wait, lemme get this straight...

Your problem is that when you convert it to an indexed image in IrfanView, the wrong color ends up being transparent -- black instead of yellow, yes? If this is your problem, then I can send you some instructions on how to create an indexed image with the proper palette using GIMP.
I believe that's what's happening. I use GIMP fairly often so I would love those instructions, thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
I believe that's what's happening. I use GIMP fairly often so I would love those instructions, thanks.
Open the Palettes dialog. (Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Palettes)

Create a new palette.

Create a new color from the foreground color. Do this sixteen times, for a sixteen-color palette. (Right-click in the Palettes window, or use the new icon (folded paper) in the Palettes window.)

Double-click a color to edit it. Manually enter all of your colors into the palette; make sure that the color that you wish to be transparent is the first color in the palette.

Once this is done, save your palette. Give it a name you'll remember.

Paste your image into GIMP.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed...

Radio button: Use custom palette.

Select your palette.

Uncheck "remove unused colors from colormap".

Convert.

That should do it for you. Just save it as a BMP after that. (Or PNG. If PNG doesn't work, do BMP.)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
drpepper111
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Hi, first post ever.

New to ROM hacking and Pokemon hacking, so I'm sorry in advance lol...

Can somebody point me to a good program to edit/create moves for III gen?

And

With what program or how can I edit type chart match ups and effectiveness (Fire vs Water, super effective vs not very effective, etc)? For gen III as well. Fire Red to be specific.

I plan on earning my wings by getting experience before even attempting any kind of hacking project or advanced hacking techniques, so I'm planning on editing a Fire Red ROM for personal play for now.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Open the Palettes dialog. (Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Palettes)

Create a new palette.

Create a new color from the foreground color. Do this sixteen times, for a sixteen-color palette. (Right-click in the Palettes window, or use the new icon (folded paper) in the Palettes window.)

Double-click a color to edit it. Manually enter all of your colors into the palette; make sure that the color that you wish to be transparent is the first color in the palette.

Once this is done, save your palette. Give it a name you'll remember.

Paste your image into GIMP.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed...

Radio button: Use custom palette.

Select your palette.

Uncheck "remove unused colors from colormap".

Convert.

That should do it for you. Just save it as a BMP after that. (Or PNG. If PNG doesn't work, do BMP.)
It worked!! Thanks man, and everyone! You guys are Alakazam smart.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ZangoMango; August 3rd, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here