The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
ErickAutumn
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
I see people who have put new building in, like added new tiles for creating cities.
Can someone link me to a tutorial showing how to do this?
Like inserting new tiles in, like a whole town...

Old August 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
I am trying to optimize a music track that I have manually inserted into a ROM as per the instructions here.

Specifically, there are parts of the song that are repeated in the middle. Ideally, I should be able to loop these parts by using B3 and B4 bytes, however, they don't work.

The pointers are correct. The usage is correct. There are no apparent data errors in the song. I've checked, double-checked, and triple-checked every single Google result I could find on the Sappy music format, and judging from that there are no errors, period... Yet still, the two tracks that use B3/B4 do not play at all in the ROM, and they crash Sappy. The other music tracks play in the ROM, but the two tracks with the B3/B4 jumps are muted.

I also need to take a track that uses chords excessively, and change it to use single notes. When applying a GBSynth instrument to that track, this happens automatically (if Sappy's readouts, pre-B3-tracks, are accurate), but I need it to be chordless when using DirectSound. (Chords contribute to the max-6-DS-at-once limit. A 3-note chord counts as three of the same instrument playing.)

Does anyone know how to
1. Fix a "broken" track that doesn't actually have anything wrong with it? (Or rather, get a track to load and play when it uses multiple B3/B4 jumps.)
2. Convert chords to single notes?

EDIT: Edited to remove some of the rage. Seriously, though, if I get answers to these two, then I'll know every single last thing I think I will need to ever know in order to start music hacking.

Last edited by DavidJCobb; August 5th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:10 AM
drpepper111
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Just set special 0x16F =)
It's all you need to enable National Dex =)
I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

With what program/where would you do this?

I seriously appreciate the help given. You guys have been more than kind and patient.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
tinix
PearlShipper & C Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper111 View Post
I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

With what program/where would you do this?

I seriously appreciate the help given. You guys have been more than kind and patient.
You have to use XSE and make a script
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Pokémon HeartGold Version

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
-Started by SkittyLover77

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Cheesewig
Hi!

Nature: Relaxed
How do I create new maps in Pokémon Gold?
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Google is such an amazing invention.
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
toeter
Beginning Trainer

Whenever I change the dimension of an existing map in fire red(advancemap 1.92),
the screen is black when the character should warp to the resized map.
Is there a way to fix that?
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeter View Post
Whenever I change the dimension of an existing map in fire red(advancemap 1.92),
the screen is black when the character should warp to the resized map.
Is there a way to fix that?
What are the dimensions? Are they odd numbers? 'Cause maybe that's your problem. Try removing level scripts also.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
toeter
Beginning Trainer

I just solved it myself. I had to change height and width together, not just one. Some black tiles covered the space I didn't need.
Thanks anyway, Destiny Demon
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
drpepper111
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Just set special 0x16F =)
It's all you need to enable National Dex =)
I attempted to learn scripting yesterday and it didn't work out.

Can anybody elaborate on this some more?

I tried to use Advance Script (if that is the appropriate program).
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Quote:

Try using Extreme Script Editor. It's easier in my opinion. Here's an example:

Code:
#dynamic 0xoffset

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0xflag
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 msg_normal
goto @dex
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @sd msg_normal
release
end

#org @sd
= You already have one!

#org @1
= Here's your national dex!

#org @dex
special 0x16F
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox @rec msg_keepopen
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0xflag
release
end

#org @rec
= [player] received National dex!
That's for FireRed. Make sure you already have the Pokedex also.
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax
Hello, forums. I just wanted to know if there is a way I could add or edit Pokémon Abilities
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Cheesewig
Hi!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
I know how to edit maps.

I mean actually INSERT NEW MAPS INTO THE ROM!
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesewig View Post
I know how to edit maps.

I mean actually INSERT NEW MAPS INTO THE ROM!
I'm not sure if Goldmap can. Try Johtomap.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
I've had so much trouble with this...its confounding me.

I just want to know how to make a tile start a wild pokemon battle, like tall grass. I'm making a swamp, and want some of the swamp tiles to have wild pokemon in it. I've tried changing the tile to grass animation, and it didnt work, and to tall grass animation, again without working. Since I'm editing Viridian forest, i put the grass i want to start a wild battle on the same spot as another grass tile was, but again, nothing. I dont know what to do. How can i make this tile work??!?!?!?
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:

Follow Destiny Demon's advice for the National Dex script =)
And if you don't know much about scripting I'd suggest you to read diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden View Post
I've inserted a bitmap sprite in the place of Torchic on Ruby, and it works fine when you battle against it but when you use it in battle (i.e. see its backsprite) or see it in the pokedex, the game freezes or restarts just before you would see the sprite. I used nameless sprite editor to insert the image. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
I posted this about 5 pages back and nobody answered me, and I still can't work out the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post

I just want to know how to make a tile start a wild pokemon battle, like tall grass. I'm making a swamp, and want some of the swamp tiles to have wild pokemon in it. I've tried changing the tile to grass animation, and it didnt work, and to tall grass animation, again without working. Since I'm editing Viridian forest, i put the grass i want to start a wild battle on the same spot as another grass tile was, but again, nothing. I dont know what to do. How can i make this tile work??!?!?!?
Open the block editor in A-Map [just click the purple puzzle piece] and go the particular swamp tile. Change the behavior byte to [xx] [02] and change the background byte to [yy][01].

*xx & yy are different depending on what you want your tile to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden View Post
I posted this about 5 pages back and nobody answered me, and I still can't work out the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe you should try reinserting the sprite cause something has obviously gone wrong with it. In fact I've never heard of such an error.
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post

Looking at the general tall grass tile does it look like this?

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Is there any way to initiate a step counter with a script box?
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Is there any way to initiate a step counter with a script box?
Well, you've got the Safari special, 0x2C (if I'm not mistaken), but you can also set your own duration (once again, if I'm not mistaken) with JPan's FireRed Hack.
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Simmy93
Aspiring Emulator

Nature: Sassy
Not sure if this is the place to seek help with this issue but it's holding me back from starting my hack. I've followed the fantastic map editing tutorial on this forum but no matter how many times I try I always end up with this result.

Spoiler:

Can anyone assist? Or point me in the direction where someone could? Thank you so, so much. I've been killing myself over this, it really is the only thing holding me back.

Danke!
-Simmy

Team:

Pokemon Platinum
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy93 View Post
Not sure if this is the place to seek help with this issue but it's holding me back from starting my hack. I've followed the fantastic map editing tutorial on this forum but no matter how many times I try I always end up with this result.

Spoiler:

Can anyone assist? Or point me in the direction where someone could? Thank you so, so much. I've been killing myself over this, it really is the only thing holding me back.

Danke!
-Simmy
You probably used the wrong palette in the tile map editor. If you did use the right one then you probably have to edit the palette.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM
HACKERXIDE
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I've been through alot of tough problems and I'd like to think I'm a good scripter, but I'm running into probally the most simple problem.

I can't seem to get wild pokemon to appear in my new map!

Its a Cave by the way, and putting actual grass in it would mess up the look of the cave, but I went to other caves in the game to figure it out and they are set up a Grass, so thats what I did in the wild pokemon header view.

I chose the grass option, then set the Encounter Ratio, and filled out the Pokemon data (all the way!)

But to no avail I get no Pokemon action.

Anyone know what to do?
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
SkieTheKitsune
Please call me FoxMan.

Nature: Jolly
I've got a question. I'm starting a hack of FireRed and I've edited the 50 TMs (and 1 HM) to use different moves, using Item Editor and Move Editor respectively. I edited the description of those moves to match that of the actual move itself, and while that did work for the items, the move descriptions from the original TMs started using the new move descriptions. When I changed the descriptions back to the original, the TM description reverted back to its original description! How do I fix this so I can keep using the original move descriptions while keeping the new moves?

Mah Pokes.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links