The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortevn View Post
So, the first problem is the names. I'm trying to rename everything into Cap-lower case
There is a patch somewhere on the forums that does that. You could try searching for "lowercase patch" or "caps patch". You'd want to apply it before you do your edits.

Quote:
The most important change in my hack: The Types. I've tried to find if I can implement the Physic-Spec split like the DS games, some JPese hackers did it, but they either don't share or their tutorial can't be understood by me.
To the best of my understanding, it involves some difficult ASM hacking. Some people in the Research and Development section are working on it.
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
As per usual, I am ignored

How do you move the flight spots, and where the town map thinks a place is e.g if i wanted the map to think pallet was in the seafoam islands and i wanted to fly there. And how do you edit map names?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
crakxor
Beginning Trainer

Hey guys, I was using unLZ to try to edit Wallace into Gary, I've managed to change the name, overworld sprite, pokemon, the only thing I've been having trouble with is changing the in-battle sprite, I changed the sprite to a Gary sprite, checked off "Export image" and "Export palette" Now in unLZ his palette looks perfectly fine, but all the other trainers in unLZ's palette is wrong and they all looked messed, also in the game itself the Gary sprite is messed up and it oddly messed up one other sprite, and literally only 1 other one, can someone help me please?
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
slowbro42
The World's Worst Hacker

Nature: Quirky
I have a bit of an issue with PKSV. It used to show the drop-down menu when I was typing (which was really helpful); now after my computer came back from the shop, with a new hard drive, PKSV doesn't have that drop-down menu. I tried re-downloading PKSV, but to no avail. I hope the solution isn't to obvious because I feel I have searched the program for settings and found nothing. Please help.
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
As per usual, I am ignored

How do you move the flight spots, and where the town map thinks a place is e.g if i wanted the map to think pallet was in the seafoam islands and i wanted to fly there. And how do you edit map names?
For a GBA game? You'd need to use an old version of AdvanceMap, like 1.92 -- but note that doing so will erase your settings for the new version!
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
FixingTheOriginals
Beginning Trainer

Has anyone ever done a complete balance fix to the original pair of games? I may be new but I didn't see it in the list: showthread.php?t=253946

edit: bah can't link because I'm new (even though I passed 3 capta and have a gmail...)
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Fortevn
Yandere

So, to summarise my questions:

Can I modify the rom codes (in XSE) for these:

1. Pokedex: Names, Order, get rid of some pokemon totally
2. Types: Names, strength/weakness
3. Abilities: Names, effect
4. Moves: Names, effect

Thank you.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:06 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
So, to summarise my questions:

Can I modify the rom codes (in XSE) for these:

1. Pokedex: Names, Order, get rid of some pokemon totally
2. Types: Names, strength/weakness
3. Abilities: Names, effect
4. Moves: Names, effect

Thank you.
I don't think any of those can be edited with XSE in any way, shape, or form. XSE only does scripts (and technically string editing).
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Nature: Relaxed
Is there any way to make certain pokemon banned in battle tower? (pokemon ruby)
I want to make dialga instead of remoraid but I think dialga won't be banned then...
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
I might as well throw this out here. I'm trying to find out how to change a few texts in FR:
  • "Old man" in the "old man that catches a weedle" special
  • "Bill" in "Bill's PC"
  • The text where Oak teaches you about battling in your first rival battle (trainerbattle 0x9)
I assume there's byte editing involved in hex. If so, could anyone share the offsets? Thanks in advance.
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
"Bill" in "Bill's PC"
These aren't all the offsets you'll need; the multichoice used by special 0x106 (to select what you wish to do with a PC) will also need to be modified.

Also, if you lengthen anything, then you may have to repoint these. In that case, you'll need to edit the PC script (0x081A6955) as well as pretty much every default script that uses the "givepokemon" command.

0x081A5CF1
[buffer2] was transferred to\nSomeone's PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D31
[buffer2] was transferred to\nBILL'S PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D6E
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nSomeone's PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5DB1
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nBILL'S PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A50A7
Accessed Someone's PC.

0x081A50EF
Accessed BILL's PC.

Also, just as a bit of trivia, flag 0x834 determines whether or not "Someone" or "Bill" is used (0 = Someone, 1 = Bill).
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Simmy93
Aspiring Emulator

Nature: Sassy
Unfortunately after following four separate world map editing tutorials I am yet to get a working one.. THerefore I am curious to whether A) Someone would perhaps help me make one? (And be credited of course) or B) Do you think it's cheap to just blackout the map and have flying options only in the form of red dots? WIth no map at all.

Team:

Pokemon Platinum
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
These aren't all the offsets you'll need; the multichoice used by special 0x106 (to select what you wish to do with a PC) will also need to be modified.
I suppose so, though I haven't edited a multichoice before D:

Quote:
Also, if you lengthen anything, then you may have to repoint these. In that case, you'll need to edit the PC script (0x081A6955) as well as pretty much every default script that uses the "givepokemon" command.
I'm aware of that, I won't lengthen anything, I was talking about the same number of characters, just...different ones.

Quote:
0x081A5CF1
[buffer2] was transferred to\nSomeone's PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D31
[buffer2] was transferred to\nBILL'S PC.\pIt was placed in \nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5D6E
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nSomeone's PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A5DB1
BOX ["][buffer3]" on\nBILL'S PC was full.\p[buffer2] was transferred to\nBOX ["][buffer1]."

0x081A50A7
Accessed Someone's PC.

0x081A50EF
Accessed BILL's PC.
Thanks a lot. D'you know any offsets about the other two things I mentioned?

Quote:
Also, just as a bit of trivia, flag 0x834 determines whether or not "Someone" or "Bill" is used (0 = Someone, 1 = Bill).
Yah, I saw what you did there at the R&D thread. Thanks again :3
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
I might as well throw this out here. I'm trying to find out how to change a few texts in FR:
  • "Old man" in the "old man that catches a weedle" special
  • "Bill" in "Bill's PC"
  • The text where Oak teaches you about battling in your first rival battle (trainerbattle 0x9)
I assume there's byte editing involved in hex. If so, could anyone share the offsets? Thanks in advance.
"What will the old man do?" is at 0x3fe6fa and "The old man used" is at 0x3fd65c.

Oak's battle tutorial texts start at 0x3fdae2. If you go to that address in a hex editor with a table file loaded, you'll see all of them (not just the first one). Reverse the addresses and do a hex search on them to find the pointers (I found a couple around 0xe84XX) if you need to repoint.

Brother of Vrai
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Truality
Left for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
"What will the old man do?" is at 0x3fe6fa and "The old man used" is at 0x3fd65c.

Oak's battle tutorial texts start at 0x3fdae2. If you go to that address in a hex editor with a table file loaded, you'll see all of them (not just the first one). Reverse the addresses and do a hex search on them to find the pointers (I found a couple around 0xe84XX) if you need to repoint.
Fantastic, colcolstyles, thanks a bunch!

...wait. Goldfinger doesn't have a t.viewer. Oh well...
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy93 View Post
Do you think it's cheap to just blackout the map and have flying options only in the form of red dots? WIth no map at all.
Yes.

On the other hand, if it were possible to black out the map at first and reveal explored areas (like fog of war in an RTS), then that'd be super uncheap. It'd be epic. But that'd take heavy ASM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Simmy93
Aspiring Emulator

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Yes.

On the other hand, if it were possible to black out the map at first and reveal explored areas (like fog of war in an RTS), then that'd be super uncheap. It'd be epic. But that'd take heavy ASM.
My problem is all the tutorials explain how to enter your map and your templates and tiles into the game but none explain -how- to make them.. Could someone perhaps recommend a guide?

Team:

Pokemon Platinum
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Does anyone know a resource for gen 1 pokemon sprites? (As in Red and Blue)
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
Does anyone know a resource for gen 1 pokemon sprites? (As in Red and Blue)
Yeah, sure, here's some sprites and stuff:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gam...erb/index.html

Spriters Resource tend to have a lot of sprites and things, especially for Pokemon, so... Yeah.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old September 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Nature: Relaxed
Is it possible to make certain pokemon banned in battle tower?
By which way?
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM
M.L
Busy atm

im slightly curious so im just ganna ask firstly
you know the animation where a black bird swoops down Like in ruby when you get the silphscope and he flies off how would you write or use this ?(and can it be used for FR?)

thanks in advanced
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
UnForgiven*
Huh?

Nature: Timid
Hello there again PC!
I have some small questions again here....

1.Can i make my own Battle Screen when i Face a Trainer Like the one in Ruby when you battle a magma grunt it shows the Team Magma Logo.....[FIRERED (U)]

2./can some one give me the List of Flags that ishouldn't use?

3.Is there any Danger in ROM when repointing in A-Trainer?(Adding POKeMONS)

4.How could i set a maptile in a FarawayPlace?

5.How could i use Setmaptile forever (The setmaptile wont disappear even when you go to another city)

6.How could i jump into an event without the [PLAYER]??

Thanks in Advance!

POKEMON SkyWhite COMING SOON....

Last edited by UnForgiven*; September 12th, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add question...
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnForgiven* View Post
2./can some one give me the List of Flags that ishouldn't use?
That mostly depends on what scripts from the original game you'll be keeping. If you're hacking FireRed, I have a list of almost every single script flag and variable in use by Game Freak's scripts. List here.

I can tell you that regardless of what game you're modifying, there will be limits. Several flags (FR: 0x500 - 0x700) are reserved as trainer flags, and others are used as world map flags (FR: 0x890 - 0x8FD). In FR, flags above 0x8FF overlap other areas of RAM; the number may be different in other games, but a similar limitation will exist. There are numerous other flags that are checked or altered directly by the game engine.

And if you're looking into safe flags, you should also look into safe variables. There are far fewer safe scripting variables than people realize. In one of JPAN's posts, he confirmed that variables 0x5EF4 - 0x7FFF overlap the RAM for PC Pokemon. My own research is incomplete but seems to indicate that variables 0x5084 and up are also unsafe. There are also several variables that are safe to read, but not to write, as the game uses them to store data; I've noted them in my list of all flags and vars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnForgiven* View Post
5.How could i use Setmaptile forever (The setmaptile wont disappear even when you go to another city)
I think the best thing you'll be able to do is create a level script (of the "setmaptile" type in AMap) that runs "setmaptile" commands every time you enter the map. You can make such a script contingent on the value of a scripting variable, and then set that variable to that value when you first run "setmaptile".

Last edited by DavidJCobb; September 12th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Thrasher24
~Legendary Master~

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
You need to add a script at the start of the game with Special 0x16F in it. That activates the National Dex in FireRed.
What about emerald, and could you do it than send me the game file(s) you save it as? Thnx inadvance

[email protected]
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
I have no idea for Emerald. And no. Do it yourself.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links