Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old October 20th, 2011 (06:08 PM).
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by EdensElite:
Is it the same command for xse?
checkgender sets var 0x800D (LASTRESULT) to 0x0000 if the player is male or 0x0001 if female.
Old October 20th, 2011 (06:51 PM).
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote originally posted by Masou Shoujo Haruna:
is there some sort of method to figure out the offset of a certain variable? (like 0x8004 is 0x020370c0)
Using VBA and the cheat finder you can find it. Set up a script and set the variable to a certain value. Search for that. Change the value to something else and search. Eventually you'll be left with one offset.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 21st, 2011 (12:59 AM).

Quote originally posted by Gamer2020:
Using VBA and the cheat finder you can find it. Set up a script and set the variable to a certain value. Search for that. Change the value to something else and search. Eventually you'll be left with one offset.
Adding to this: the temporary variables (0x8000 and up) can be found with this method, but all other script variables are moved around in RAM constantly. Their offsets change frequently.
Old October 21st, 2011 (01:53 AM).

Quote originally posted by DavidJCobb:
Adding to this: the temporary variables (0x8000 and up) can be found with this method, but all other script variables are moved around in RAM constantly. Their offsets change frequently.
Then he just needs to make note of that and search for the location of the pointer if that's the case. The offset may change but not the location of the pointer.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 21st, 2011 (08:50 AM). Edited October 21st, 2011 by EdensElite.
No0b, but getting there.

Also, How do you create battle backgrounds from standard images 0.o?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old October 21st, 2011 (10:35 AM). Edited October 21st, 2011 by romancandle.

Nature: Adamant
Are there any tools or easy way to edit the habitat pokedex in Fire Red? I'd like to be able to move around some of the fakemon I'm making so they make more sense--a Saber-Tooth Cat wouldn't be found in the sea.

It's not a big issue to warrant a lot of work on my part, so that's why I'm only asking if there is a tool.
Old October 21st, 2011 (03:54 PM).

Hi! I'm new here so I'm hoping this is the right place to post a request for help. I don't see a help area so... Anyways, I'm currently hacking Pokemon Silver Version and I have made quite a bit of progress so far. I tried changing Hiro's trainer card sprite, though, and it bugged out hardcore. I had to delete that rom but fortunately I have several backups so it didn't do much harm. What i want to know though is how I'm supposed to edit the trainer card sprite for Hiro in Silver version. The backsprite worked fine but could someone maybe give me the dimensions (like 56 x 56) for that particular sprite please? Thank!

And if this is the wrong spot to post this could you re-direct me to the right one or at least please answer my question before deleting it.
Old October 21st, 2011 (11:36 PM).

Alright, what I'm trying to do is create two types of grass for my hack, one normal and one snowy. Ive unlocked the tall grass animation and edited the OAM's palette so that i have a few colors for the snow in there, along with all the greens and blues that were there (just making sure, the palette that the grass animations use is ONLY used by the grass and the waves trailing behind while surfing, right?)

ive inserted the new animations for the snow covered grass over the tall grass tiles, and everything loads okay when i test it. however, im having transparency issues. enerything looks fine as im walking into the grass, but once the animation is done, the im covered except for the top of my head. you can see what i mean in the pictures

The last frame's tiles are set up just like the others, so having the wrong tiles there isnt the problem. Also, when i walk to another patch of grass, im still completely covered save for my hat.
If anyone could tell me a fix for this thatd be so awesome
Old October 22nd, 2011 (01:05 AM).

Quote originally posted by darkprince909:
Alright, what I'm trying to do is create two types of grass for my hack, one normal and one snowy. Ive unlocked the tall grass animation and edited the OAM's palette so that i have a few colors for the snow in there, along with all the greens and blues that were there (just making sure, the palette that the grass animations use is ONLY used by the grass and the waves trailing behind while surfing, right?)

ive inserted the new animations for the snow covered grass over the tall grass tiles, and everything loads okay when i test it. however, im having transparency issues. enerything looks fine as im walking into the grass, but once the animation is done, the im covered except for the top of my head. you can see what i mean in the pictures

The last frame's tiles are set up just like the others, so having the wrong tiles there isnt the problem. Also, when i walk to another patch of grass, im still completely covered save for my hat.
If anyone could tell me a fix for this thatd be so awesome
Just a guess: what are the exact behavior and background bytes on those tiles? It seems like you're having trouble with the tile whenever the animation isn't running (look close at pic 2...).

IIRC you need background 21 (Wild Grass + Hero Covers Block) in addition to the behavior byte for the animation.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (01:22 AM).

Well heres how the tiles are set up for that block and the behaviors

The only difference between this and the normal grass is the 3 is a 2, but that would change it to the green animation. and what you referenced in pic 2 can be fixed by messing with the actual animation tile. i think i just put the same thing in for each frame to save time so i could test it. my main concern is the transparency issue in pic 4. it works in every frame up until the player is completely in the block then he gets buried alive
Old October 22nd, 2011 (01:56 AM).

Try background bytes 00 21.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (02:18 AM). Edited October 22nd, 2011 by darkprince909.

thanks, that worked for the normal snowy grass blocks. but i tried it on the ones that are behind tree tops, and the animation was overlaid on top of the tree. maybe if i tell those not to use the animation since you wont see the character anyway... now i just have to go fix the animation so it actually looks good when walking.

btw, is there a way through hex or anything else to stop cut from working on grass blocks? it causes problems with the snowy blocks (when i cut them, its replaced by an uncuttable normal grass block), and honestly theres no reason to have it there, since it takes longer to go through the menu than it does to run from a pokemon

edit: nevermind. that behavior byte doesnt work. at least not when you walk vertically. the oam will cover the player's head until the animation finishes. i'm tempted to just change the snowy wild encounter blocks to something similar to the blocks from rse's desert. and on that note, would it be possible to add footprint/bike trail animations for the snow blocks, but have them be the right palette? i tried with copying the behavior bytes from the sand blocks to the snow, but the palette was wrong. (gosh im asking so many questions... sorry >.<)
Old October 22nd, 2011 (08:14 AM). Edited October 22nd, 2011 by AlexMonroe.
Demigod of Time

Location: NOT 27 Whitewood Road, Bayswater Avenue, Auckland, New Zealand
Nature: Hasty
Hi, I'm kind of new here, so I'm not sure if this can be done:

Can you change what the hero sprite is for a brief period? Not like using an over world editor to change what the hero looks like, but have it swap to a new sprite for a while. Like in SoulSilver, when the hero briefly looks like team rocket.

Thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2011 (02:06 PM).

btw, is there a way through hex or anything else to stop cut from working on grass blocks?
I suspect you'd need to edit the relevant ASM either for CUT or for the behavior/background bytes used for grass tiles.

and on that note, would it be possible to add footprint/bike trail animations for the snow blocks, but have them be the right palette? i tried with copying the behavior bytes from the sand blocks to the snow, but the palette was wrong.
I suspect you'd need to create a modified copy of the behavior byte ASM, and then apply the new ASM to one of the many unused behavior byte values.

Quote originally posted by AlexMonroe:
Can you change what the hero sprite is for a brief period? Not like using an over world editor to change what the hero looks like, but have it swap to a new sprite for a while.
If you're hacking FireRed, then you can apply JPAN's Hacked Engine to it. It contains functionality that allows you to change the player's OW from scripts. Be careful if applying it to a hack already in progress, however.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (03:07 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
How do the GBA Pokemon games determine when to use which battle background? Like the water one when a battle occurs while surfing and the sand one when a battle occurs on a beach? I'm using BPRE if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (04:19 PM).

Hey Is it possible too make an Overworld larger that 64 by 64 in FR. I know #153 is 128 by 64 but I planning to add a very large Overworld that you can walk around that's 180 long and 64 tall. Thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2011 (10:36 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by dudedude1:
Hey Is it possible too make an Overworld larger that 64 by 64 in FR. I know #153 is 128 by 64 but I planning to add a very large Overworld that you can walk around that's 180 long and 64 tall. Thanks.
The only possibility I see is to make one OW of 2 or even 4...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 23rd, 2011 (05:33 AM).

Quote originally posted by Ash493:

The only possibility I see is to make one OW of 2 or even 4...
Well I guess that'll work. Thanks anyways.
Old October 23rd, 2011 (10:38 AM). Edited October 24th, 2011 by Bilaterus.
ToBe Best Spriter ;)

Nature: Naive
Hey hackers I was wondering if someone could show me a link to a tutorial of some sort which shows how to change Oak and the background bit. I mean the part at the beginning where he's making an epic speech but can't tell whether your'e a boy or girl :s

Thanks in advance :D

My (small) site offers help on all things Advance Mapping!
http://advancedfreak.webs.com/

Visit my youtube channel too and check out my tutorials on all things (you guessed it!) Advance Mapping!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedMapFreak
Old October 23rd, 2011 (02:06 PM).
Demigod of Time

Location: NOT 27 Whitewood Road, Bayswater Avenue, Auckland, New Zealand
Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by DavidJCobb:
If you're hacking FireRed, then you can apply JPAN's Hacked Engine to it. It contains functionality that allows you to change the player's OW from scripts. Be careful if applying it to a hack already in progress, however.
What do you mean "Be careful," exactly? Is there specifically something that I can do to prevent it from going wrong, or is there just a possibility that it will mess stuff up? Plus, where do I get the scripts for that if it only works when a person's used that?
Old October 23rd, 2011 (03:57 PM).
Avid Pokefan

Nature: Naive
Um, hi I have a question. I am a beginner hacker and I am just barely getting through with my first hack. I was doing good with Advance Map until a problem occurred. I changed a Bulbasaur front sprite into something else with unlz GBA and then, when I walked out of the house in Pallet Town, the screen went black. I wasn't having any problems until now. Whenever I go into Advance map and click on Pallet Town a window pops up twice saying "The Script Value of People 255 is not a pointer! Data seems to be Corrupted." he AdvanceMap also says that there are a total of three warps on it, but all I see is the "F" for flying position. I'm pretty sure that this may have something to do with the black screen, but I'm not sure about the data corruption. Two other programs that I consistently use are Advance Text and Pokescripter (pksvui). What do I do? The game can't be tested until it's fixed, and I really don't want to remap everything I did in the past two months. If there's a way to help, please tell me!
Old October 23rd, 2011 (06:11 PM).
巨大なトロール。
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Cowsocks:
Um, hi I have a question. I am a beginner hacker and I am just barely getting through with my first hack. I was doing good with Advance Map until a problem occurred. I changed a Bulbasaur front sprite into something else with unlz GBA and then, when I walked out of the house in Pallet Town, the screen went black. I wasn't having any problems until now. Whenever I go into Advance map and click on Pallet Town a window pops up twice saying "The Script Value of People 255 is not a pointer! Data seems to be Corrupted." he AdvanceMap also says that there are a total of three warps on it, but all I see is the "F" for flying position. I'm pretty sure that this may have something to do with the black screen, but I'm not sure about the data corruption. Two other programs that I consistently use are Advance Text and Pokescripter (pksvui). What do I do? The game can't be tested until it's fixed, and I really don't want to remap everything I did in the past two months. If there's a way to help, please tell me!
It seems like you overwrote some important data when changing the Bulbasaur sprite. Your best bet is to find the location of the new Bulbasuar image and replace the bytes there with bytes from a clean ROM.

But in all honesty, there's no guarantee this will work. You really should have been making back-ups. At the very least, one per day. Because if something like this happens, you'll only have to redo a days worth of work, not two months.
Old October 23rd, 2011 (08:14 PM).

Quote originally posted by AlexMonroe:
What do you mean "Be careful," exactly? Is there specifically something that I can do to prevent it from going wrong, or is there just a possibility that it will mess stuff up? Plus, where do I get the scripts for that if it only works when a person's used that?
Well, the caution comes from how you apply the engine. There are two ways to add it to a ROM, and each has its own strengths and drawbacks.

Using JPAN's patch
  • Deletes all event data, level scripts, etc., from all maps, except for warps
    • Could cause issues if substantial edits have been made to maps, or if maps have been deleted/rearranged/etc.?
    • Accidentally deletes Pallet Town warps -- you must re-add them
  • Deletes nearly all default scripts (and, therefore, any data you may have overwritten them with)
Using JPAN's tool
  • Should leave most data intact
    • But scripts using changed features will end up broken
  • Allows you to choose which variables and RAM/ROM offsets are used for most features
    • You'll need to look at the instructions and maybe do a bit of research if you want consistency with the vars/offsets that the patch version (and therefore that nearly everybody) uses
The benefits of using the hacked engine generally outweigh the negatives, though.
Old October 24th, 2011 (08:50 AM).

Quote originally posted by romancandle:
Are there any tools or easy way to edit the habitat pokedex in Fire Red? I'd like to be able to move around some of the fakemon I'm making so they make more sense--a Saber-Tooth Cat wouldn't be found in the sea.

It's not a big issue to warrant a lot of work on my part, so that's why I'm only asking if there is a tool.
I don't think anyone has made such a tool. However with proper documentation I could add it to PGE so just find that documentation and I'll add it to my to-do list.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 24th, 2011 (01:28 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys.
I am trying to create a new Pokemon game using Ruby as a template.
I am still new to the scripting side of the game but I am slowly making progress.

But I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the Prof. Birch speech introducing you to the world of Pokemon after you select new game (where you choose your Gender and Name).
I want to add my own introduction but can't find any information on the web about it.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I will add you to the credits. (I don't take credit for anything I didn't find out or do).
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links