Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 16th, 2011 (04:19 PM).
romancandle

Nature: Adamant
Does anyone know how Nature names are stored in FireRed? I wanna rename them in a hack, but I don't know where they are and if they're images or just text somewhere in the ROM.
Old December 16th, 2011 (04:40 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by romancandle:
Does anyone know how Nature names are stored in FireRed? I wanna rename them in a hack, but I don't know where they are and if they're images or just text somewhere in the ROM.
They're just regular old text. You can find all of the nature names starting at 0x463DBC. There are also a lot of pointers starting at 0x463E60 which connect to them, if you want to repoint them.
Old December 16th, 2011 (04:46 PM).
romancandle

Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
They're just regular old text. You can find all of the nature names starting at 0x463DBC. There are also a lot of pointers starting at 0x463E60 which connect to them, if you want to repoint them.
I think I'm not doing something right, then. If I open 0x463DBC in XSE or PokeText, I get a bunch of setvariable or gibberish respectively. Do I need to open it with an ASM editor?
Old December 16th, 2011 (04:58 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by romancandle:
I think I'm not doing something right, then. If I open 0x463DBC in XSE or PokeText, I get a bunch of setvariable or gibberish respectively. Do I need to open it with an ASM editor?
That's because you're looking at pure HEX, which would be unreadable if you tried to type it into XSE. If you were to write something like msgbox 0x463DBC in XSE, when you decompile the script you would be able to see the first nature name (HARDY) since it is reading the text correctly. An easier thing to do would to use a HEX Editor with a table file since you would be able to read/ do minor editing of all the natures at the same.
Old December 16th, 2011 (05:11 PM).
ZxC Mirai
Huh?

Nature: Timid
Hello again PC!

i have a very little question that bother me...

when i increase the blocks in the A-Map

does it affects the RAM of the ROM?

POKEMON SkyWhite COMING SOON....
Old December 16th, 2011 (05:26 PM).
ArmoredGuns

Is there any tool that allows to change the move list offered by the Move ReLearner?
Old December 16th, 2011 (07:00 PM).
romancandle

Quote originally posted by ArmoredGuns:
Is there any tool that allows to change the move list offered by the Move ReLearner?
I think it draws the list straight from the Level Up movepool of that species.

I need some troubleshooting help:

All I can think of that might've done this was I edited the Icon Pallets, but this is apparently happening in a beta version BEFORE I did those edits.
Old December 17th, 2011 (07:53 AM). Edited December 17th, 2011 by The Fanciful Cerberus.
The Fanciful Cerberus
Unhatched Egg

I want to temporarily change the soundtrack for a few maps in the PALLET TOWN map pool to solely the track used for a thunderstorm, so that you can hear it inside and no other music is playing. Can I accomplish this with playsong in the level script and if so where would I find the track the game uses for a thunderstorm?
Old December 17th, 2011 (11:47 AM).
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Hello, I have a question about this.

http://sfc.pokefans.net/lesson.php?id=21

If your at least a somewhat experienced hacker, Im sure youve seen this as its been around for a while. I didnt understand it way back when, but I understand ASM more.
What confuses me is this "executable with removed ROM header" as it links to a text file with jumbled up letters and symbols. I do not know what to do with this.

Also, when binary is referred to. I know it as 0s and 1s. In this instance, is it hex?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old December 17th, 2011 (12:42 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
I just have a quick question, not even really scripting related. Every hack I see has a little "support" banner, and they all have a similar look. Is there a widespread program out there that lets me make one of these, or a tutorial, and can someone link it to me? Thanks.

Quote originally posted by Quickster:
Also, when binary is referred to. I know it as 0s and 1s. In this instance, is it hex?
Binary in this case means a binary file, I believe. A binary file is just a file thats used for programming, as opposed to reading. Whatever you open with it just takes all the hex numbers in the file and translates it to letters as best as it can.
Old December 17th, 2011 (01:43 PM).
vizarod
Beginning Trainer

Whenever I try to load a rom in advance map, it freezes! then when it unfreezes, it doesn't load the rom and when i try to load it again, the same thing happens. what the heck is going on? please help TT_TT
Old December 17th, 2011 (01:46 PM).
Absol-ute Vodka
Beginning Trainer

Hi there, a quick question:
How do I edit/remove the fire from the FR titlescreen?
Old December 17th, 2011 (05:59 PM). Edited December 21st, 2011 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Quickster:
Hello, I have a question about this.

http://sfc.pokefans.net/lesson.php?id=21

If your at least a somewhat experienced hacker, Im sure youve seen this as its been around for a while. I didnt understand it way back when, but I understand ASM more.
What confuses me is this "executable with removed ROM header" as it links to a text file with jumbled up letters and symbols. I do not know what to do with this.

Download it, and copy the contents from a Hex Editor into the actual ROM that you want to insert it to.

What it means by "executable with removed ROM header" means that it doesn't have the header, which means that it won't work on its own anymore, unless you replace the header.

Here is the format of a header (just in case):
Spoiler:

Code:
0x000000 - 0x000003	ARM: "b 0x7F"		(0x3b)
0x000004 - 0x00009F	Nintendo Logo data	(0x9Bb)
0x0000A0 - 0x0000AB	Game name			(0xBb)
0x0000AC - 0x0000AF	Version Code		(0x4b)
0x0000B0 - 0x0000B1	Maker Code			(0x2b)
0x0000B2			0x96 (Fixed Value)
0x0000B3			Main Unit Code 
0x0000B4			Device Type 
0x0000B5 - 0x0000BB	Reserved Area		(0x6b)
0x0000BC			Software version 
0x0000BD			Checksum
0x0000BE - 0x0000BF	Reserved Area		(0x2b)

Quote originally posted by GreenZ:
Is there any way to change font in Emerald? I want to add Polish letters but I can't find them in TLP and unLZ-GBA... Could anyone help?
TileMolester at 2bpp reverse codec. Search at 0x636BA4, that's where the A-Z table starts. I'm pretty sure Polish doesn't use Ä, Ö, or Ü, so that's three you could fit in easily.

also:
Spoiler:
Emerald BPEE: 0x62E994 and 0x636B94
Emerald BPED: 0x63FA38 and 0x647C38
Emerald BPES: 0x630EC8 and 0x6390C8

Hope this helps

EDIT: btw, there are lots of empty slots for characters too. Search at 0x633CE4.

Old December 17th, 2011 (08:53 PM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
I'm hoping to delve into ASM soon, but theres one thing holding me back. Every time I attempt to put any ASM in my rom, when I open it in A-map, everything turns this really glitchy purple. Why does this keep happening? I'm using Firered V1.0, with JPANs hack engine on it.

More: usually when I'm doing this, I'm copying in hex from a tutorial using a hex editor. Maybe I'm using the wrong tools to insert the ASM; As I said before, I cant find any list of ASM-related tools
Old December 18th, 2011 (05:29 AM).
Sukima
Beginning Trainer

How do I edit Deoxys stats?

I mean, I get that I can use YAPE or Poke Edit Pro, but with them I am only able to edit Deoxys' normal form.
I'm nearly done with a firered romhack I'm doing and the last thing I need to do is edit Deoxys' Attack Form stats, but I can't find how I would do this anywhere.

Any ideas?
Old December 18th, 2011 (04:44 PM).
Draknir
The God of Fire

Nature: Quiet
Okay, so I edited a few maps in Fire Red, and now every time I use the warps to these maps in the game, it freezes. At first I got the error message "Unsupported BIOS function c7 from 020023fc. A BIOS file is needed to get correct behaviour," but now it doesn't give me anything and just goes straight to freezing. The error message has no meaning to me, so if I could get some help it would be appreciated.

Is it because of the maps I edited? They were the Unused Sevii Isle 6-9 maps, if that's why it won't work
Old December 18th, 2011 (10:28 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Can anyone tell me how I could possibly edit the opening cinematic? I can't seem to make unlz-gba to work, and I can't find anything anywhere.

Sorry if it's obvious. My attention span is too small to do this, and seriously? fourteen megabytes.

Old December 18th, 2011 (10:52 PM).
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by redriders180:
Every time I attempt to put any ASM in my rom...
What's this supposed to mean ?
Are you trying to make a script point to an asm routine which you've picked up somewhere ?

Quote originally posted by redriders180:
I cant find any list of ASM-related tools
Try this site for instace.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old December 19th, 2011 (06:28 AM).
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

Hi!

I'm currently hacking ruby and I have problem with scripting...
I want to make script where someone gives you a pokemon. That's easy but I want to make that pokemon with special move (like pikachu with surf).

Question: How to custom moves for that pokemon?
Old December 19th, 2011 (08:15 AM).
G33K
The guy you will someday work

Nature: Naughty
I want to make it so the player starts the game waking up in his bed in littleroot... how exactly might one go about doing this?
Old December 19th, 2011 (09:57 AM). Edited December 19th, 2011 by redriders180.
redriders180

Quote originally posted by miksy91:
What's this supposed to mean ?
Are you trying to make a script point to an asm routine which you've picked up somewhere ?

Try this site for instace.
I mean, after I put the hex from a tutorial into a hex editor, whenever I open A-map, all the palates have turned a glitchy purple color.

Also, that website you gave me, while informative, isn't all that helpful. I have no idea where to go or what to download.

Quote originally posted by Rasenshurikenbum:
Hi!

I'm currently hacking ruby and I have problem with scripting...
I want to make script where someone gives you a pokemon. That's easy but I want to make that pokemon with special move (like pikachu with surf).

Question: How to custom moves for that pokemon?
I think this requires ASM. If you were hacking Firered, JPANs Hack Engine has a function that lets you give any move to a Pokemon. There's a less elegant way, though. You could use YAPE and create essentially the exact same Pokemon in one of the 25 ?????????? slots, and change the moveset to include surf. Then just give the player that Pokemon, which appears to be the same as a normal one, but has surf.

Quote originally posted by G33K:
I want to make it so the player starts the game waking up in his bed in littleroot... how exactly might one go about doing this?
There's a tool called Start Map Chooser Advance (SMCA). It'll let you change the X and Y positions, as well as the starting map.
Old December 19th, 2011 (04:40 PM).
clockworklolita
Beginning Trainer

If I try opening my ROM in VBA, all it gives me is a white screen - no intro screen, no sound, nothing. If I load it from an already saved point, I can play the game fine, but starting any kind of new game would be impossible. I think it's been doing this for a while, but I can't pinpoint _when_, because I've been testing my scripts and stuff by loading from save points rather than playing from the beginning, so I didn't notice it straight away.

I've tried removing every script I've edited from Advance Map, but it's made no difference. Is there anything else that could be causing the white screen? The only other things I've done in the game other than insert scripts are change the name, description and price of a few items in Item Editor, change a few Pokemon evolutions and moves in YAPE, and change some trainers in Advance Trainer. Could any of these be the issue? Is there anything I can do, or am I just going to have to start the whole thing again?
Old December 19th, 2011 (05:21 PM).
SwirlyBirds
apparently not quite dead
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by clockworklolita:
If I try opening my ROM in VBA, all it gives me is a white screen - no intro screen, no sound, nothing. If I load it from an already saved point, I can play the game fine, but starting any kind of new game would be impossible. I think it's been doing this for a while, but I can't pinpoint _when_, because I've been testing my scripts and stuff by loading from save points rather than playing from the beginning, so I didn't notice it straight away.

I've tried removing every script I've edited from Advance Map, but it's made no difference. Is there anything else that could be causing the white screen? The only other things I've done in the game other than insert scripts are change the name, description and price of a few items in Item Editor, change a few Pokemon evolutions and moves in YAPE, and change some trainers in Advance Trainer. Could any of these be the issue? Is there anything I can do, or am I just going to have to start the whole thing again?
You screwed something. Restart.
Old December 20th, 2011 (04:20 AM). Edited December 21st, 2011 by hinkage.
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by HackDeoxys:
Quote originally posted by clockworklolita:

You screwed something. Restart.
Backups.
Always make backups.

On another note, one time, a script overwrote the offset 0x800000. I just set that script back to normal, using the same script offset from a clean ROM, replacing my script, and it worked.
Old December 20th, 2011 (04:16 PM).
Hopeless Masquerade
山の新人神様
Community Supporter

Does anyone know the offset of the worldmap's palette in firered?

Sponsored Links